ImageImageImage

OT: The Movie Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Muzzleshot
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#13 » by Muzzleshot » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:08 pm

My favorite war movies:
The Train.
Von Ryan's Express.
Bridge over the River Kwai.
The Great Escape.
The Guns of Navarone.
The Longest Day.

Favorite Westerns:
True Grit
High Noon
Magnificent Seven
The Searchers

I could go on and on with different categories of movies. I love the old movies that Hollywood use to make.
tonythewise
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#14 » by tonythewise » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:08 pm

The daddy of all modern movies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_Kane

tonythewise
Veteran

Post#15 » by tonythewise » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:13 pm

and a close second- though not as technically impressive...

http://imdb.com/title/tt0034583/

Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#16 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:19 pm

Muzzleshot wrote:My favorite war movies:
The Train.
Von Ryan's Express.
The Great Escape.
The Longest Day.

The Guns of Navarone.

Favorite Westerns:
True Grit
High Noon
Magnificent Seven
The Searchers

I could go on and on with different categories of movies. I love the old movies that Hollywood use to make.

Love those, I'm adding Midway, Battle of the Bulge and A Bridge too Far to that list. I love the old WWII movies.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,308

Re: OT: The Movie Thread 

Post#17 » by TheMartian » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:07 am

DorfonCeltics wrote:
mzepol wrote:
Swimming Pool
Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window
Fritz Lang's M
The Life of David Gale
The Game
American Psycho
The Pianist
Shutter (Asian Horror)
Guillermo Del Toro's The Devil's Backbone

Anybody here who's seen these movies before? I'd love to hear from you.

I'd also appreciate some recommendations. :D

I'm a big movie buff myself and think this could be a very good thread. I've seen the bolded movies above.

I thought Swimming Pool was a little boring but there is a nice nude scenes. I'm not a big fan of British flicks.

Rear Window is in my opinion, Hitchcock's greatest movie and one of my all time favorites. Jimmy Stewart is great in that movie.

The Life of David Gale is a great one too. A real mind **** if you ask me.

American Psycho is a classic as well. If you like Christian Bale in this you might want to check out The Machinist.

OP, it sounds like you like foreign films. If that's the case, you might want to check out a few movies:

Amelie - A very funny French film starring Audrey Tautou who co-starred with Tom Hanks in The Divinci Code.

Y Tu Mama Tambien - Coming of age Spanish film about two teenage boys and their trip to paradise.

The Motorcycle Diaries - The adapted screenplay based on the Autobiography of Che Guevara and a journey through South America he took as a teenager.

If you don't like foreign films then some of my other favorites are:

Boondock Saints - Great movie about two Irish immegrants turned vigilantes.

Shawshank Redemption - One of Stephen King's greatest adaptations.

The Professional - Do you like scumbags getting killed and a prepubecent Natalie Portman? Then you'll like this one.

Legends of the Fall - Epic movie about three brothers growing up in Montana at the turn of the 20th century.

Swimming Pool was a bit boring, but Ludivine Sagnier makes it all worthwhile. :D

I agree that Rear Window is one of Hitchcock's finest if not the best. I also love Vertigo.

The Life of David Gale was awesome.

I've also seen the Machinist. Christian Bale is IMO one of the most dedicated actors of this generation. The extremes he went through in that movie (he was practically skin and bones) are commendable.

Amelie is one of my all-time favorites. Y Tu Mama Tambien is a good one as well.

I haven't seen The Motorcycle Diaries and Boondock Saints. I have to check them out.

Shawshank Redemption, along with The Green Mile are my two most favorite Stephen King Adaptations.

Leon The Professional is also an all-time favorite of mine. Too bad Jean Reno doesn't make movies of that caliber nowadays. :(

Legends of the Fall was a bit too long IMO, but is also a good film.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#18 » by greenbeans » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:22 am

i know its not up to par with you guys' high expectations but if anybody else is into stoner movies like myself then "Grandmas Boy" is IT, spark a fatty and enjoy
TheMartian
General Manager

Post#19 » by TheMartian » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:24 am

Muzzleshot wrote:My favorite war movies:
The Train.
Von Ryan's Express.
The Great Escape.
The Guns of Navarone.
The Longest Day.

Favorite Westerns:
True Grit
High Noon
Magnificent Seven
The Searchers

Classics.

I'd also recommend:

Il Buono, Il Brutto, Il Cattivo (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)
Shichinin no Samurai (The Seven Samurai)
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,877

Post#20 » by meatball sub » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:33 am

tonythewise wrote:and a close second- though not as technically impressive...

http://imdb.com/title/tt0034583/

(picture)

Bogart rocked the **** in Maltese Falcon.

For any one that wants to see a great movie, go check out No Country for Old Men. Javier Bardem will leave the major award shows with his arms full after his performance.
TheMartian
General Manager

Post#21 » by TheMartian » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:34 am

tonythewise wrote:The daddy of all modern movies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_Kane

(picture)

I was blown away by this film. It was a movie that was way ahead of its time.
TheMartian
General Manager

Post#22 » by TheMartian » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:36 am

bove310 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Bogart rocked the **** in Maltese Falcon.

For any one that wants to see a great movie, go check out No Country for Old Men. Javier Bardem will leave the major award shows with his arms full after his performance.

I am really looking forward to seeing No Country For Old Men. I didn't get a chance to see it in theaters so I'll have to wait till the DVD comes out. :(
TheMartian
General Manager

Post#23 » by TheMartian » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:47 am

Tricky Ricky wrote:I heard Disturbia was made like Rear Window so maybe u should check that out. Im a big American Psycho fan, do you think it was all in his head or really happened?

I've seen Disturbia and I must agree that it is very much like Rear Window. I don't Disturbia was inspired by Hitchcock's film, but the similarities are evident.

As for American Psycho, I pretty much agree with this theory:

The answer is that yes, Patrick Bateman did commit the murders. His peers (who often confused his identity with others anyway) were so shallow and focused on themselves that they didn't even notice.

Bret Easton Ellis, the author of the original book, argues that if none of the murders actually happened, that the entire point of the novel would be rendered moot. He has stated that the novel was intended to satirize the shallow, impersonal mindset of yuppie America in the late 1980s.

Director Mary Harron (in a Charlie Rose interview) and co-screenwriter Guinevere Turner (in the DVD commentary) have both stated explicitly that the murders were in fact real. They consider it a major failure of the film that viewers are confused by this point.

Some fans still contest that the actions in the film were all fragments of Patrick Bateman's warped mentality (which coincides with his delusion at the ATM machine and his improbable murderous rampage). Bateman, using the sketchbook in his desk that his secretary finds, imagined all of the grotesque murders as an escape from the falsities of the world around him, and his imagined world turns out to be just as warped and twisted as his everyday yuppie life.

Great film. :wink:
Cep
Assistant Coach

Post#24 » by Cep » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:51 am

sittinOnGreen wrote:another excellent foreign film is City of God (Cidade de Deus)

Word. One of my favorties too. If you're not bothered by subtitles, definitely watch it.

I like the Saw movies, although it has been getting gorier and less intelligent over time.

And Superbad was the comedy of the year.

I can't wait until the Angels & Demons (Dan Brown book) adaptation comes out, it'll be either later this year or next year.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#25 » by Dirty Water » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:51 am

citizen kane is overrated.

about to see eastern promises, heard it was good
TheMartian
General Manager

Post#26 » by TheMartian » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:52 am

Cyclical wrote:A lot of good movies mentioned here. I like at least 50% of them Yeah, City of God is unreal - one of the srongest movies I've ever seen. Another on I love is American History X, for Edward Norton's perfomance - one of the best of all time. Rear WIndow is great. Re classics, I recently watched a brand new edit of Touch of Evil (Orson Welles) that blew me away. If you're into some good acoustic music check out "Once" - just came out on DVD. Beautiful stuff.

American History X! Now that is a film that I haven't re-watched in a long time. I'll have to dig into my collection and see this film once again. The scene that is so memorable for me here is the gutter scene. Disturbing to say the least even though it was not too graphic.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#27 » by Dirty Water » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:54 am

mzepol wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

American History X! Now that is a film that I haven't re-watched in a long time. I'll have to dig into my collection and see this film once again. The scene that is so memorable for me here is the gutter scene. Disturbing to say the least even though it was not too graphic.

love edward norton, fight club etc.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#28 » by greenbeans » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:54 am

does anybody know what the deal is with cloverfield??? there was a rumor that its a power rangers movie. . hahaha, ill be pissed if i sit down and that theme song comes on
Cep
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by Cep » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:55 am

Cep
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by Cep » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:56 am

mzepol wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yepp, I've watched that as well, American History X. Very strong movie. I liked it a lot.
sittinOnGreen
Freshman

Post#31 » by sittinOnGreen » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:43 am

City of God is prob my favorite movie of all time..

anybody seen Gone Baby Gone? I've heard good things, and I've had a couple people tell me it was overrated?
Pogue Mahone
Head Coach
And1: 738

Post#32 » by Pogue Mahone » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:12 am

Rear Window is one of my favorites (and I hate scary stuff, though, admittedly it was more thriller.)

I am a huge Gong Li fan. She is an incredible actress. Unfortunately, she was 40 before she was truely exported to the United States. She recently had parts in Memoirs of a Geisha, Miami Vice, Young Hannibal and opposite Chow Yun Fat in Curse of the Golden Flower.

The real Miss Gong is forever etched in both my mind and heart as the lovely Songlian in Raise the Red Lantern, the promiscuous Juxian in Farewell, My Concubine and the heart-wrenching mourner Jiazhen in the generational epic, To Live. She even held her own as Vivian, in the english-speaking Chinese Box (opposite Jeremy Irons.)

If you don't mind sub-titles and you really want a taste of the power that a film can have over your senses, I highly recommened the above films. While Chinese Box was good, it could have been better. To Live will have you bawling like a baby, though, so arm yourself with a box of tissues. Enjoy.

Return to Boston Celtics