ImageImageImage

Ainge on the process of getting Ray and KG

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Ainge on the process of getting Ray and KG 

Post#1 » by BillessuR6 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 12:55 pm

Interesting article today in the Globe:

Link: http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... it/?page=1

When the original Garnett deal fell apart because KG didn't want to come here, Ainge went out and got Allen from Seattle. Left alone, the deal made a little sense, but not much, although Ainge says now, "I think a team led by Ray, Paul, and Al Jefferson would have been good. Maybe very good."

Still, it seemed more like a sideways move, designed as much to keep Pierce from jumping off the Zakim Bridge as anything else. In reality, Ainge said he made the deal to help Pierce, get a veteran in the locker room - and improve his chances of landing Garnett.

"Oh yeah," Ainge said. "That's because the real key components to the Garnett deal were still there - Theo's contract and Al Jefferson. Even though Minnesota wanted that fifth pick [included in the Allen trade], I still thought there would be a way.

"But I also knew there was no way we were going to get KG if we didn't do the [Allen] deal. I felt like the Kevin Garnett element was definitely going to be satisfied by getting Ray. Whether the Minnesota element could be satisfied was still in question."

Props to Ainge for not hanging his head after the lottery! We have this team not because of luck but because Ainge kept working and believing.
Mister Keys
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#2 » by Mister Keys » Sun Jan 6, 2008 1:15 pm

Ainge FTW!
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#3 » by bruno sundov » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:41 pm

Ainge had a plan and followed it through. Even if the plan did change last minute. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
EdSkae
Senior

Post#4 » by EdSkae » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:54 pm

It would be a good article if May left out the nobody could have seen this coming and simply admitted he was wrong. Anybody who knows anything about basketball and Danny Ainge. Knew that the trade with Portland last year. Was all about swapping the Lafrentz contract for the shorter Ratliff contract. Which Ainge would then package with picks and young players for the best player he could get. Ainge and ownership were setting themselves up for a run at KG the entire time.
Relative Autonomy
Senior
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Relative Autonomy » Sun Jan 6, 2008 4:42 pm

EdSkae wrote:It would be a good article if May left out the nobody could have seen this coming and simply admitted he was wrong. Anybody who knows anything about basketball and Danny Ainge. Knew that the trade with Portland last year. Was all about swapping the Lafrentz contract for the shorter Ratliff contract. Which Ainge would then package with picks and young players for the best player he could get. Ainge and ownership were setting themselves up for a run at KG the entire time.

hindsight is 20/20. i think DA thought he had steal in telfair. i am sure DA was thinking about trades for KG, Pau, Iverson and other bigs stars also but i think it is little naive to think that it was part of his master plan to get KG. I think DA and the ownership were doing the best to make the best of the shifting sands of fortune not scheming to get KG and only KG.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#6 » by ParticleMan » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:05 pm

To see that nobody saw our turnaround coming is blatantly false. Of course he couldn't know that he would get KG in particular, but the idea that we could get one or more franchise players if we assembled the right chips was ALWAYS on the table. It wasn't a last-minute change of plans, either. Ainge had been saying from day 1 how we needed to improve the tradeability and desireability of our roster. The only purpose of that would be to trade for a big-name player.

Of course May and Ryan and other "pundits" were too busy lamenting the fact that we weren't the C's of the 80's to actually pay attention to what was going on. I don't blame them. Lots of fans on this board were too busy stressing over the losses and blaming Doc and Ainge for everything from our injuries to global warming. But if you'd been paying attention to what was going on, what transpired this offseason was a well-executed plan, not some fortunate stroke of luck.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,877

Post#7 » by UGA Hayes » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:31 pm

Relative Autonomy wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

hindsight is 20/20. i think DA thought he had steal in telfair. i am sure DA was thinking about trades for KG, Pau, Iverson and other bigs stars also but i think it is little naive to think that it was part of his master plan to get KG. I think DA and the ownership were doing the best to make the best of the shifting sands of fortune not scheming to get KG and only KG.

I'm not sure about that. The spin after the trade was as much if not more about Ratliff's contract than Telfair. Mike Gorman went onto celtics stufflive and said as much. In hindsight it was amazing how important that contract end up being not just in getting KG but any player on the market. By some coincidence it seems like Ratliff's contract was the only one of its size that would be expiring giving as a pretty big bargaining chip.
Rondo_Fan
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by Rondo_Fan » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:50 pm

ParticleMan wrote:To see that nobody saw our turnaround coming is blatantly false. Of course he couldn't know that he would get KG in particular, but the idea that we could get one or more franchise players if we assembled the right chips was ALWAYS on the table. It wasn't a last-minute change of plans, either. Ainge had been saying from day 1 how we needed to improve the tradeability and desireability of our roster. The only purpose of that would be to trade for a big-name player.

I pretty much agree with this point of view. I think that Ainge wanted a big-name vet, and that KG was somewhere on the list. However, Danny probably thought that realistically he had a much better chance of getting guys like Pau, AI, or JO instead of KG.

I think that Ainge got a little bit lucky to end up with KG (I've posted about this on other threads), but I definitely give him all the credit in the world for stockpiling resources and being prepared to make the deal in the end. One area in particular where I think he should get a lot of credit, but which people haven't talked about much on this forum, is not doing a deal for one of the other guys, which there was a lot of pressure to do in Boston last year. I still remember listening to WEEI and all of these blowhards calling the Big Show saying stuff like, "You do a deal for Iverson every day, and twice on Sunday."

If Danny hadn't of had his wits about him, we could have ended up with Mr. "We talkin' 'bout practice."

Yabba-dabba-doo!
EdSkae
Senior

Post#9 » by EdSkae » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:44 pm

Rondo_Fan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I pretty much agree with this point of view. I think that Ainge wanted a big-name vet, and that KG was somewhere on the list. However, Danny probably thought that realistically he had a much better chance of getting guys like Pau, AI, or JO instead of KG.

I think that Ainge got a little bit lucky to end up with KG (I've posted about this on other threads), but I definitely give him all the credit in the world for stockpiling resources and being prepared to make the deal in the end. One area in particular where I think he should get a lot of credit, but which people haven't talked about much on this forum, is not doing a deal for one of the other guys, which there was a lot of pressure to do in Boston last year. I still remember listening to WEEI and all of these blowhards calling the Big Show saying stuff like, "You do a deal for Iverson every day, and twice on Sunday."

If Danny hadn't of had his wits about him, we could have ended up with Mr. "We talkin' 'bout practice."

The fact that he did not deal for A.I, Pau or JO. Makes me think KG is the guy he wanted the entire time. I also believe that Ainge would not have included Al Jefferson in a deal for anybody but KG.
Mahoney_jr
Veteran

Post#10 » by Mahoney_jr » Sun Jan 6, 2008 9:09 pm

EdSkae wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The fact that he did not deal for A.I, Pau or JO. Makes me think KG is the guy he wanted the entire time. I also believe that Ainge would not have included Al Jefferson in a deal for anybody but KG.

Very good reasoning. I agree, KG was Ainge's target. Plenty of posters called during the summer, that Big Al wouldn't be tradeable for any player on the block besides KG.

But I agree also with those voices, who say Ainge needed tons of luck to get this deals done. But that's because we had to sit out a time frame where we weren't the team with the most assets (I called it "chip leader" a while ago). In 2006 the Bulls had the most assets, and if they have had the balls to chip them in, we would have to be contend with getting Pau Gasol for the same prize on the upcoming dead line. Bright prospects and a nice turn around, but no grand slam either. So let's thank the Basketball gods that Chicago didn't try to go the whole way for whatever reason and let's give Ainge kudos for preparing this franchise for the offseason of 2007 and executing his plan perfectly.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#11 » by meatball sub » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:24 pm

Mister Keys wrote:Ainge FTW!

QFT
EdSkae
Senior

Post#12 » by EdSkae » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:24 pm

Mahoney_jr wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Very good reasoning. I agree, KG was Ainge's target. Plenty of posters called during the summer, that Big Al wouldn't be tradeable for any player on the block besides KG.

But I agree also with those voices, who say Ainge needed tons of luck to get this deals done. But that's because we had to sit out a time frame where we weren't the team with the most assets (I called it "chip leader" a while ago). In 2006 the Bulls had the most assets, and if they have had the balls to chip them in, we would have to be contend with getting Pau Gasol for the same prize on the upcoming dead line. Bright prospects and a nice turn around, but no grand slam either. So let's thank the Basketball gods that Chicago didn't try to go the whole way for whatever reason and let's give Ainge kudos for preparing this franchise for the offseason of 2007 and executing his plan perfectly.

Ainge set himself and the Celtics up in postion to make the best offer in the last year before KG could opt out. The Bulls big expiring contract of PJ Brown expired a year too early. I don't know if I would consider that luck or great planning and manuvering by Ainge and poor planning by Paxson and the Bulls.
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#13 » by Maple Green » Mon Jan 7, 2008 1:24 am

Simply because DA doing his homeworks. HUGE expiring contract at the end of the Big 3 when you look for salaries graph. That is more exciting to sign marquee young players.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#14 » by Datruth345 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:41 am

does anyone remember Ainge on the radio about 2 years ago saying that he was going to add a big name player in the near future

there was a big thread on here at the times name being thrown around were the usual suspects, Gasol J.o, i remember some posters mentioning Al Harrington (lol)

obviously he doesn't have a crystal ball and didn't know this was the scenario the whole time

but...

i think this along with other interviews and even the deals themselves he has made in his tenior show that he had a definite plan for the celtics, and to his credit he stuck to his plan through alot of criticism
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#15 » by bruno sundov » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:48 am

He used to say when he first started here,, that he wanted to mold the team to the way Scaramento was a the time. They were goig deep in the playoffs every year and could run. As well as play halfcourt.
Indiana Jones
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,548
Location: Assistant Dean of Students, Marshall College, Bedford, Connecticut

Post#16 » by Indiana Jones » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:22 pm

mchale is the exec of the year...i wonder if ainge will give him a job once he gets canned...you know, for the kg favor...
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by ParticleMan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:49 pm

Indiana Jones wrote:mchale is the exec of the year...i wonder if ainge will give him a job once he gets canned...you know, for the kg favor...

what favor? taking the best available offer for his team?

LMAO at the bitterness around the league. Anyone who think Bynum or JO or any of those turds is better than Al Jefferson should check Big Al's stats and watch him play.
diforman
Sixth Man
And1: 15

Post#18 » by diforman » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:58 pm

I think to say that Ainge was zeroed in on only KG is a little naive, but he clearly was stockpiling assets. The team could have gone in many directions... He wasn't even SOLELY trying to get a veteran, even if that was his stated goal. Remember Ainge tried to deal Paul Pierce for Chris Paul before that draft, and New Orleans said no. Now a team with CP3 Al Jefferson Rondo, West and Gomes would be exciting and probably pretty good team in today's NBA. (I'm assuming with CP3 we wouldn't have been in the lottery this past year for Yi). Ainge also reportedly offered Al for Iverson before he was dealt to the Nuggets.

I think the key to Ainge's success is his constant diligence, adding assets so the celtics were always the first team on every GMs list of potential trade partners, and most importantly his FLEXIBILITY. If ainge wasn't the wheeler dealer that he has proven to be, we'd still be in a post-pitino world with no hope.

Props to Danny, even if it did take some luck to land KG.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,877

Post#19 » by UGA Hayes » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:46 pm

ParticleMan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

what favor? taking the best available offer for his team?

LMAO at the bitterness around the league. Anyone who think Bynum or JO or any of those turds is better than Al Jefferson should check Big Al's stats and watch him play.

I don't know about Al being better than Bynum. Bynum has defensive potential and is a better passer than Al. It remains to be seen if Bynum will ever develop the level of focus and desire to be great, but the potential is dfinitely there.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by ParticleMan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:28 pm

UGA Hayes wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't know about Al being better than Bynum. Bynum has defensive potential and is a better passer than Al. It remains to be seen if Bynum will ever develop the level of focus and desire to be great, but the potential is dfinitely there.

Sorry, I don't see it. You seriously think Bynum will ever average 20 ppg for a season? I don't. He doesn't have the offesive skillset. And yes, there is more to hoops than scoring, but a 20 ppg post scorer is something that comes along once in a blue moon. It is VERY valuable.

As for defense, yes Bynum is better, but I don't think Al is that bad. He blocks shots. He is pretty good 1-on-1. He is still learning team defense, but so is Bynum. I agree Bynum's POTENTIAL is better on defense, but at this point Bynum is only marginally better than Al on D. Al is a terrible passer, but from what I've seen so is Bynum. So no ad there.

I'm pretty sure if you polled GMs as to who they would take given the choice, the answer would be Big Al by a landslide. The one advantage that Bynum has is that he is a true C, whereas Al is a PF. But that is minor imo. Al being a gifted post scorer more than makes up for any other advantage Bynum has. He scores 20 ppg and he is constantly double and triple teamed. The next double team Bynum sees will be his first.

Return to Boston Celtics