ImageImageImage

Has Perk lost his job?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,802

Post#25 » by meatball sub » Sun Jan 6, 2008 9:55 pm

GuyClinch wrote:DA has said that center is the ONE POSITION where he favours defense more then offense. It's the position where you can just throw out those production numbers because Danny does not care. It's all about the D - and rebounding to a lessor extent.

I think both Pollard and Perkins are better one on one and team defenders then Davis who is better on O with regards to passing and creativitiy (he doesn't finish that great for a center). Anyway I think our center position is okay. yes it could be upgraded but not at any reasonable cost.

The Spurs have won mutiple championships with stiff centers and so have the Bulls. It not going to hold us back at all to play defensive types there.

Pete

Bingo...Oberto and Elson, 'nough said. You don't need anything but a role player, defensive minded C.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#26 » by Celts17Pride » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:18 pm

Threads like this one are just plain dumb. Nothing else needs to be said.
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Re: Has Perk lost his job? 

Post#27 » by Kefa461 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:27 pm

Ghost of the Garden wrote:Pro/Cons of giving Big Baby the nod in starting lineup over perk.

Pros
-Much better offensive production
-Offensive rebounds
-More hustle
-MUCH better hands

Cons
-Will have trouble guarding taller more athletic centers ie. big z, mcdyess, dwight etc.
-is his body NBA ready to get consistant NBA minutes? he is a rookie, he could break down in the 2nd half of season
-not as good of a passer as perk
-cannot jump/defend as well
-if he can't play center, asking KG to play center could put more strain on him (he's our most important player)

I know it's one game. I'm just throwing it out there. Big Baby has got some DNPs in the past I'm just wondering if those were match up reasons or he just wasn't practicing well for Doc.

That says it all.... 8)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#28 » by threrf23 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:27 pm

I personally don't think Perk should be removed from the starting lineup. Bench production is important, and an offensive option under the basket is necessary with KG on the bench.

That said, I don't think Perk is fully healthy - and as a result - I don't think he should be getting so many minutes with or without BB's solid play.

The implication of last night's game IMO, is BB needs more minutes, and Perk needs less minutes. This isn't just because BB deserves more minutes, its also based on a hypothesis that if Perk is not on the floor for more than 6-8 minutes at a time with good rest in between, he should be able to stay healthier and contribute more (defensively and offensively) when he does play (as long as he stays healthier).

Also....I can't call Pollard a better defender than Baby. Baby's been decent on D outside of foul trouble, and Pollard's been more foul prone. Defense from the C position is also less important off the bench as it is in the starting lineup IMO.

As a side note, Oberto isn't defensive minded, btw.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,673

Post#29 » by The Corey's » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:01 pm

Al Jefferson took forever to get a starting job on a terrible team, no way Doc puts a rookie in, even if he deserves it. Its his track record.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#30 » by Banks2Pierce » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:06 pm

Honestly, I'm still in favor of starting Perk at center, but I feel that Davis should finish the games at the 4 instead of Posey.

The most surprising thing to me last night was Davis' defense on Maxiell and Wallace. He looked awesome out there. What a game to break out in.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#31 » by Datruth345 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:21 am

from my own observation

big baby did an excellent job keeping z out of the paint, and limiting him

but i'm still rolling with perk
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
lojowo
Rookie
And1: 4

Post#32 » by lojowo » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:17 pm

Having Perk starts helps set the defensive tone of the team. Putting in Big Baby make KG play center which I do not want to do.

I'd prefer Big Babys offense when Perk and one of the KG/PP/RA is off the floor. Gives C's someone inside who can catch and shoot, taking advantage of the double teams.

I think Teams are more apt to double team with only two of KG/PP/RA out there, trying to limit there touches on offense. Thats a great scenario with Davis inside because he lovese rolls to the hole and taking it strong to the hoop.
daveisceltics
Bench Warmer
And1: 517

Post#33 » by daveisceltics » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:28 pm

Baby could not play C.
I want to see him guard D Howard.
That would answer the question pretty fast.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#34 » by JHTruth » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:00 am

I'm probably in the minority but I think Perk is doing a really great job this year. He's not going to the all-star game but he is playing really great defense next to KG. Je's the perfect player next to KG. He takes the big post beasts and leaves the quicker guys to KG. He's really doing what the team needs from him..
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,369

Post#35 » by Red2 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:02 pm

regardless of whether perk starts or not, he has to pick up his game. his rebounding has been woeful as of late. I don't expect him to become a great offensive player but I do expect him to clog the middle and rebound. there have been numerous occasions in the last several games where he's out of position and is completely rooted to the floor when the ball comes off the backboard. Perk would not have gotten that rebound against detroit that Baby did. I think you will continue to see Perk on the bench at the end of games.
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,068

Post#36 » by UGA Hayes » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:06 pm

Its hard for me to get upset about individual rebounding numbers since the team is the best on the boards in the NBA. That suggests we are getting about every rebound we should be getting. I would like to see our o-board numbers go up and I think that will happen with regular minutes for Davis who is fantastic in that respect.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#37 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:37 pm

Part of the reason for Perk's rebounding woes is he shares the front line with Pierce and KG - that's alot of rebounding right there. He will probably need to grab offensive boards to up his numbers.
rsceltic34
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#38 » by rsceltic34 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:30 am

no

Return to Boston Celtics