ImageImageImage

C-Webb considering C's?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

P2
Banned User
And1: 0

C-Webb considering C's? 

Post#1 » by P2 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:37 pm

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=37308

But in an exclusive interview Sunday, Webber told News10's Bryan May that he will sign with a new club and be back on the court in a matter of days.

"I'll be back in two weeks playing basketball," Webber said.

Webber said he hadn't made any firm decision on where he would resume his NBA career, but the 16-year veteran said he had fielded offers from several NBA clubs and had narrowed his choices down to three teams. Webber declined to name the teams he was considering.

Which teams that are interested in him do you think he is considering? With what he's got, he could definitely help us. But does Danny think the same way? Are we one of the 3 teams?
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 299

Post#2 » by eitanr » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:42 pm

He'd defintley help the Celts. I'd assume it would push Perk into a bench role which is not the worst thing in the world. Now all the C's would be missing was a legit backup 1. If Sam I am is bought out or if the C's even pickup GP and add C-Webb...they'll be a lot stronger come post season. You could pretty much proclaim them ECF Champs as of now.
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,743

Post#3 » by meatball sub » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:54 pm

Well since we know our strengths and weaknesses at this point I think it's safe to say that C Webb would be a better addition to our team than PJ Brown. We need somebody who can score and we need a big man, C Webb kills two birds with one stone so we could then focus on getting a true backup PG.

We all know C Webb isn't a good one on one defender but our defensive gameplan doesn't rely on great one on one defenders. A guy with C Webb's skills would be a great addition. Our problem has been every time KG comes out of the game our offense becomes stagnant since there is nobody to run the offense through. C Webb is a great passer and could be used the same way we use KG offensively. We're never going to play as well without KG but I think the key is maintaining leads. Great defense can't stop a team that's having a great shooting night so while the bench is in we need to have the ability to answer back. The scoring off the bench relies far too much on 3's so having a guy that can knock down the 15 footer consistently would be awesome.
CelticsWhat!
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#4 » by CelticsWhat! » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:06 pm

eitanr wrote:He'd defintley help the Celts. I'd assume it would push Perk into a bench role which is not the worst thing in the world. Now all the C's would be missing was a legit backup 1. If Sam I am is bought out or if the C's even pickup GP and add C-Webb...they'll be a lot stronger come post season. You could pretty much proclaim them ECF Champs as of now.

Ignoring the fact that we're definitely getting ahead of ourselves, getting C-Webb wouldn't push Perk to the bench. Webber would be a good guy to have coming off the bench to help keep the offense from suffering when a couple of the Big 3 are out. I wouldn't change the starting lineup at all. KG and Perk work great toghether on the defensive end. Webber would hurt that.
"If you drop a phonograph needle on Brasky's nipple, it plays the Beach Boys' 'Pet Sounds.'"
Rondo_Fan
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Rondo_Fan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:20 pm

I think the key way that CWebb would impact our offense is through his passing, not his shooting.

Yabba-dabba-doo!
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#6 » by ParticleMan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:20 pm

there is no friggin way Cwebb would start over Perk. be real. Cwebb would have a hard time guarding Yi's chair. He is also a poor shooter. He is a decent rebounder but not as good as Perk. and he provides no shotblocking at all.

I wouldn't mind getting Cwebb for the vet min. I'd assumed he wouldn't come for that, since he already stated he prefers to go back the Pistons. I'm not a big Cwebb fan but he would help our team.
P2
Banned User

Post#7 » by P2 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:34 pm

C-Webb's problems on defense would totally be forgotten in our superb team defense. Just think of Eddie House, who has suddenly become an average to above average defender.

Perk would start, but he would be subbed out early for C-Webb, and one of the Big 3 would always play with C-Webb, which is quite a good thing to our offense.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,834

Post#8 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:55 pm

I'll be so happy in a couple of weeks when Webber is playing on another team and I won't have to see anymore let's get Chris Webber posts. The same thing can be said for Gary Payton. :D

When will people understand that Webber & Payton are finished. Webber & Payton really helped Detroit & Miami last year. :roll: They helped Miami & Detroit so much that neither team wants them back at the minimum. You have to ask yourself why? But wait, they are a year older so that should mean they have more experience.

Webber & Payton are burnt, toast, fried, finished.

Have a good day. :D
P2
Banned User

Post#9 » by P2 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:05 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:I'll be so happy in a couple of weeks when Webber is playing on another team and I won't have to see anymore let's get Chris Webber posts. The same thing can be said for Gary Payton. :D

When will people understand that Webber & Payton are finished. Webber & Payton really helped Detroit & Miami last year. :roll: They helped Miami & Detroit so much that neither team wants them back at the minimum. You have to ask yourself why? But wait, they are a year older so that should mean they have more experience.

Webber & Payton are burnt, toast, fried, finished.

Have a good day. :D

The only thing that stands out though is the fact that they have been severely misused (too many minutes).They would just be asked to fill a role, and both of them have attributes that we lack. But still, I wouldn't sign both together.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,834

Post#10 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:12 pm

This is just my opinion. I think both Payton & Webber can't play anymore and are just looking to pick up a few extra dollars. Danny Ainge may have a totally different opinion, we will find out soon.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#11 » by GregB » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:31 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:This is just my opinion. I think both Payton & Webber can't play anymore and are just looking to pick up a few extra dollars. Danny Ainge may have a totally different opinion, we will find out soon.

Payton definitely cant play anymore. But Cwebb still has something left in the tank.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,966

Post#12 » by darrendaye » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:38 pm

Payton's loss of quickness and energy is a greater problem at the point than C Webb's loss of both as a big man. The only obstacle that C Webb presents, IMO, is his own pride in accepting the role and minutes that this team would need from him, which is significantly less than he's been accustomed.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
cfan79
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#13 » by cfan79 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:44 pm

Yessss, If he signs with us he deserves the starting center spot. Have Perk and Baby come off the bench behind KG and CWebb.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#14 » by Dogen » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:04 pm

I guess I'd be OK with Webber for the minimum the rest of the year. Heck, he's a career 21/10/4 guy who still put up 11/7 last year.

But he's still more whiner than winner from what I've seen. If we give him a shot to play with this team, I'd like to see him finally show some maturity. If not, Doc can bench him, but that could create problems. Danny could take a loss and waive him, I suppose.

So, maybe vet minimum plus bonus money for rebounds, blocks, and assists. A positive approach.
Hey you! Can we come together?
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#15 » by GregB » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:08 pm

cfan79 wrote:Yessss, If he signs with us he deserves the starting center spot. Have Perk and Baby come off the bench behind KG and CWebb.

Starting KG and Cwebb together would be awful. Those two dont compliment each other at all. If anything signing Cwebb would allow us to start Baby because we would have Cwebb to replace Babys offense off the bench.
cfan79
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#16 » by cfan79 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:12 pm

GregB wrote:Starting KG and Cwebb together would be awful. Those two dont compliment each other at all. If anything signing Cwebb would allow us to start Baby because we would have Cwebb to replace Babys offense off the bench.

I don't see the CWebb/KG combo being a problem. Sure Chris Webber likes the midrangers like Garnett, but I'm sure both wouldn't mind playing under the basket for the good of the team.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#17 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:13 pm

The one position that does rely on man to man defense for us is the Center spot.

We need Perk starting so KG doesn't get pounded in the early going, avoid cheap fouls, and focus on what he does best.. and that is roaming defensively.

Perk is there to absorb the damange of guys like D-12, and other centers who are scrubs but hit hard.

Doc doesn't like to play Perk too much anyways so it isn't like we'd have to struggle to find minutes for C-Webb.

C-webb's biggest addition would be allowing us to almost consistently have a Center backup between him and Pollard. Baby + CWebb off the bench isn't that bad. And hopefully that means Garnett can stay where he feels comfortable at the PF position.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#18 » by ParticleMan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:29 pm

cfan79 wrote:Yessss, If he signs with us he deserves the starting center spot. Have Perk and Baby come off the bench behind KG and CWebb.

that's a pretty good idea, with only one minor flaw i can see:

WEBBER SUCKS.

he can't run, he can't jump, he can't defend, and he chucks 20 footers at an antoine-like rate. he is a good passer and rebounder, so i think for the vet min he's fine for a 3rd big behind Baby. but as a starter? no chance. perk is so much better for this team than cwebb right now, and it's not even close.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,966

Post#19 » by darrendaye » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:40 pm

cfan79 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't see the CWebb/KG combo being a problem. Sure Chris Webber likes the midrangers like Garnett, but I'm sure both wouldn't mind playing under the basket for the good of the team.

Basketball equivalent of continuing to hammer the square peg into the round hole, IMO.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Cyclical
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,397

Post#20 » by Cyclical » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:45 pm

ParticleMan wrote:that's a pretty good idea, with only one minor flaw i can see:

WEBBER SUCKS.

he can't run, he can't jump, he can't defend, and he chucks 20 footers at an antoine-like rate. he is a good passer and rebounder, so i think for the vet min he's fine for a 3rd big behind Baby. but as a starter? no chance. perk is so much better for this team than cwebb right now, and it's not even close.

+1

Return to Boston Celtics