Small, Realistic and Functional: MIA - NOH - PHI

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Fire BK
Senior
And1: 0

Small, Realistic and Functional: MIA - NOH - PHI 

Post#1 » by Fire BK » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:39 am

MIA to PHI:

Smush Parker (2 yrs 4.6 mil)
Alonzo Mourning (1 yr 2.7 mil)

PHI to NOH:

Reggie Evans (4 yrs, 19 mil)

NOH to MIA:

Rasual Butler (3 yrs, 10.5 mil)

Why this trade works: Financially feasible, and this trade allows each of the 3 teams to rid itself of a piece it's been wanting to dump. Simultaneously, each team picks up something helpful. If you don't like it, kindly decline but please articulate why.

MIA has never been the same team since losing key role players from the championship squad. They get back Butler, who thrived under Riles, and his manageable contract. Also, they finally find a taker for Smush. Zo's done. Losing his contract is immaterial to Miami. Therefore, they surrender nothing, and add a helpful role player who has proven his worth along side D.Wade and Shaq. This makes D. Wright even more expendable, and he becomes the trade bait for another deal. Let's face it. MIA can tank this year, but they cannot fully rebuild for years to come. They are stuck with Shaq and need to win next year.

NOH could certainly use another banger up front for its playoff drive. Also, Evans is a veteran with a solid presence in the locker-room for a young team. They rid themselves of Butler, who they're openly seeking to trade.

PHI frees itself of another unwanted contract, gets cap space back in Zo, and only one more year on Smush's contract at 2.5 mil. Let him ride the pine and backup Miller next year at PG, ala Kevin Ollie this year. More flexibility. Open the 4 spot for the two rookies.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,260

Post#2 » by BBallFreak » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:01 pm

Good deal for the Heat. They get a shooter and save $1.39 million. They also dump Smush. I'd jump at it...
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#3 » by corwin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:09 pm

Sixers would move Evans but the financial return (cap relief) is so small in this deal that they'd have to pass. He does have some positive value as a player. Smush apparently has none.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,260

Post#4 » by BBallFreak » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:10 pm

What, exactly, do you think you can get for him? I mean, you're literally saving $11.5575 million over the life of his contract. That is significant IMO...
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,880

Post#5 » by shrink » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:25 pm

BBallFreak wrote:What, exactly, do you think you can get for him? I mean, you're literally saving $11.5575 million over the life of his contract. That is significant IMO...

Ditto. I actually think PHI gets the best deal of the three here, and if I was to comment, I kind of think PHI should sweeten their side for all the financial savings they get.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,273

Post#6 » by Hoops23 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:59 pm

I agree with shrink, Philly should sent at least a 2nd pick to NO.
Fire BK
Senior

Post#7 » by Fire BK » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Not sure NOH would really need any sweetener. They badly want to move Rasual Butler, and Evans is a great fit for their young front line of Tyson Chandler, Hilton Armstrong and Melvin Ely. His contract is not much more than Butler's.

Sixers can't quite afford to add a 2nd rounder. As mentioned, their cap relief in this trade is minimal. They'd probably balk if it required a draft pick. But Corwin, I agree with BBFreak. Who do you expect to get for Evans right now? If you can find a taker, you do it right now. You're not going to get a perfect, Korver-type deal for Evans. This deal clears half of Evans's 4 mil this year, and all of it next year. Clean.

I think this is a fair deal, and it works for all parties. Any thoughts, Hornets fans? Also, I'd like to hear more from the PHI & MIA camps.
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#8 » by 2poor » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:49 pm

Hornets pass, BS would kill Reggie Evans for one, and secondly, they're looking for a slasher/scorer at the 2/3, they aren't terribly concerned with their frontcourt right now. They need offense off the bench, and Reggie Evans is anything but that.

The rumors starting to swirl around NO/Butler are more along the lines of packaging him and a 1st rounder (or two) for Webster or Jones from Portland (in lieu of Pritchard's mancrush on Fernandez).
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#9 » by corwin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:59 pm

BBallFreak wrote:What, exactly, do you think you can get for him? I mean, you're literally saving $11.5575 million over the life of his contract. That is significant IMO...

Well since I didn't propose the deal, I'm not expecting to get anything for him. He's a useful player. Taking a retiree & someone with no value makes sense only if you're looking for a partial salary dump which this trade is. The $2.2 million saved next year (when Philly is looking for cap space) is something but like I said it's small. Can't argue about the future cap relief.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,577

Post#10 » by hermes » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:04 pm

great for the heat, getting rid of smush
bad for philly, getting smush

Return to Trades and Transactions