ImageImageImage

Damon Stoudamire to the Celtics?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Zin5
Starter
And1: 328

Post#13 » by Zin5 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:00 pm

Everyone would rather have Cassell, but be realistic. If Stoudemire gets bought out, he's the C's best option. There's no point in whining about no getting Cassell if he won't even get bought out. Stoudemire would fill a huge hole left when Rondo's not in the game.
#loveboston
cfan79
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#14 » by cfan79 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:01 pm

We could always sign Stoudemire for the rest of the season and if he sucks just sign Cassell this summer.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#15 » by kmgarnett21 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:12 pm

whats been one of our biggest weaknesses this season? when rondo's out, teams pressure us & we struggle w/the pressure. damon would help with this.

i agree cassell would be better, but he's not going anywhere. he's LAC's top 3 players this season. where did the idea of him getting bought out & automatically signing with us come from?
rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#16 » by rambo_ortega » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:46 pm

if sam is not available, i have no problem with damon on this team. he's a good ballhandler and a steady kick out guy. he can also pick up some steals.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#17 » by ParticleMan » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:04 am

as they say, a bird in hand...

if we can get Damon let's get him. i'm not a big fan but he's a vet who has been thru the wars, and can still play a bit.

and if cassell becomes available, let's sign him too. there's nothing that says we can't get both. it costs the owners a bit of lux tax money but prolly less than a million, if that's the difference between a championship and not i'm sure they'd ok it.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#18 » by theGreatRC » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:30 am

KG would love Cassell here. He said that he and Sam have the same attitude and he felt really close to him with the short time of him being here.

KG and Sam winning a ring together would be sweet along with Pierce, Ray and the gang.(Even though Sammy already has two)

BRING IN SAM I AM
dwestside
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#19 » by dwestside » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:41 am

Hate to echo the sentiments of the board, but yeah ... I'd prefer Cassell. However, it strikes me as a bit of a gamble to hang around hoping for the perfect player, especially for a little more than half a season. Take Damon, see what happens with Cassell in the offseason.
cfan79
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#20 » by cfan79 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:26 am

theGreatRC wrote:KG and Sam winning a ring together would be sweet along with Pierce, Ray and the gang.(Even though Sammy already has two)

BRING IN SAM I AM

I'd love to see that happen. We really need some help at the backup point guard spot. House and Tony don't look comfortable at the position.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#21 » by campybatman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:42 am

My wishful thinking choice is Kidd. And I prefer Cassell over Stoudamire.

Personally, I would inquire about Ridnour or Watson from Seattle.

I hate to settle on Stoudamire. An undersized scoring guard who's no more a point guard than House. :nonono:

Is Jarrett Jack available?
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#22 » by Rocky5000 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:49 am

Jack's not available.

Really, I'd prefer Chris Paul to Stoudemire, but beggars can't be choosers. I don't really understand why the Clips would buy out Cassell. The only reason would be to do the Cs a solid, and I don't think they have any other reasons to help us out other than that Cassell has been a good soldier while in LA. Cassell would have to ask for a buyout on his own. A trade simply won't work for us. Why can't we find another Udrih somewhere?
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#23 » by meatball sub » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:02 am

This would be a much needed addition. I wouldn't be against getting both of them if Cassell were to be bought out somehow.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#24 » by The Rondo Show » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:39 am

I'd definitely prefer Sam over anyone else available/who might become available, but Damon is well ahead of GP on my list and at #2.

We have 2 roster spots due to cutting Brandon Wallace, right? If Cassell becomes available, just tell him we all know he's better than Stoudamire and that minutes will become an issue for Stoudamire and not Cassell.
DynastyInTheMaking
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#25 » by DynastyInTheMaking » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:40 am

Definitely Cassell >> Stoudamire

However no Cassell means YES to Mighty Mouse.
I despise fans that cheer on a team from up north or one that resembles a dinosaur. oh wait...
P2
Banned User

Post#26 » by P2 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:16 pm

JHTruth wrote:I think you have to go with Mighty Mouse. I just don't see Cassell being bought out. I'm sorry. There's no reason to. If Cassell doesn't demand a buyout with the next few days, sign Damon..

Exactly, you can't let such a chance slip. What if Damon signs with another team, but Cassell doesn't get bought out? This could very well be the mistake that won't get us the Championship.

dwestside wrote:Hate to echo the sentiments of the board, but yeah ... I'd prefer Cassell. However, it strikes me as a bit of a gamble to hang around hoping for the perfect player, especially for a little more than half a season. Take Damon, see what happens with Cassell in the offseason.

I agree 100%. If we can improve our PG situation, we just do it.
P2
Banned User

Post#27 » by P2 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:37 pm

Guys, I found a piece in the Memphis paper which says this:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... uyout-deal

Stoudamire is preparing to counter in hopes of joining a contender soon. Stoudamire is hopeful that he can sign as a free agent with Boston, which is looking for help behind Rajon Rondo.

Negotiations toward a buyout could heat up Monday when Griz owner Michael Heisley is expected in town for the annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day game against the Chicago Bulls.

So let's see how Danny reacts to that.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,485

Post#28 » by canman1971 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:18 pm

I don't think Ainge will comment on anything, unless the buyout is complete. Ainge knows better.

On the topic of Damon, it certainly won't hurt the team. This team gets very sluggish when Rondo is out. And of course, I see no reason why LA buys out Cassell unless he demands it publicly. They will trade him first, IMO.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#29 » by BillessuR6 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:35 pm

A more negative look at possible Stoudamire signing from the article on celticsblog:

Link: http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?op ... Itemid=260

On this team built around chemistry and the ubuntu theme, Stoudamire isn't exactly the perfect fit. Referring to Mighty Mouse's past as "checkered" puts it mildly, as he has had multiple drug-related incidents and was a prominent part of the Jail Blazer Era during his days in Portland, representing both the "jail" and "blazing" motifs espoused by much of the roster at that point (not that he was necessarily serving all that much time, but he was running into trouble with the law). While the Celtics have very strong leadership on the roster and could likely afford to take on a questionable character with the skills to greatly benefit the team, Stoudamire's history puts his character well past "questionable," and the skills aren't necessarily going to be enough of a difference-maker that bringing him in becomes worth the risk.

The fact of the matter is that Stoudamire's skills simply aren't that special, especially at the advanced age of 34. He doesn't bring the added scoring punch that other on-the-market point guards such as Sam Cassell and Gary Payton would, and he certainly doesn't shoot the ball particularly effectively from the field. Stoudamire hasn't cracked the 40 percent mark from the field in four seasons and is just a 40.7 percent shooter for his career. Not exactly enticing when one of the principal goals of bringing in a competent backup for Rondo would be to have a player who can make opponents pay for focusing on the three studs by hitting the occasional open jump shot. Stoudamire isn't a particularly dynamic passer and isn't known as a great defender. As such, the question of just how much better the Celtics get with Stoudamire on board becomes a very viable one.

This isn't to say that the team needs to go out and get Cassell or Payton or that they have the means to do so. But unless the feeling is that Damon Stoudamire's presence would almost assuredly allow this Celts team to take a quantum leap forward when it matters most, rushing into an agreement to acquire him hardly seems worth the haste, the cost or the character risk undertaken by bringing him in.

I mostly disagree with the article. I don`t see his character as a problem. He is 34 now and is more mature.

I also think he is a good shooter. His % aren`t breathtaking but he can shoot the three and can bring some offensive punch off the bench. He is also a good ballhandler which is what we are looking for in a PG backup.

The only thing that worries me is his defense.

I just hope they don`t come to an agreement quickly. The longer it takes the better for us, since the Cassell situation will be more transperent.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,485

Post#30 » by canman1971 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:50 pm

thebirdman wrote:A more negative look at possible Stoudamire signing from the article on celticsblog:

On this team built around chemistry and the ubuntu theme, Stoudamire isn't exactly the perfect fit. Referring to Mighty Mouse's past as "checkered" puts it mildly, as he has had multiple drug-related incidents and was a prominent part of the Jail Blazer Era during his days in Portland, representing both the "jail" and "blazing" motifs espoused by much of the roster at that point (not that he was necessarily serving all that much time, but he was running into trouble with the law). While the Celtics have very strong leadership on the roster and could likely afford to take on a questionable character with the skills to greatly benefit the team, Stoudamire's history puts his character well past "questionable," and the skills aren't necessarily going to be enough of a difference-maker that bringing him in becomes worth the risk.

The fact of the matter is that Stoudamire's skills simply aren't that special, especially at the advanced age of 34. He doesn't bring the added scoring punch that other on-the-market point guards such as Sam Cassell and Gary Payton would, and he certainly doesn't shoot the ball particularly effectively from the field. Stoudamire hasn't cracked the 40 percent mark from the field in four seasons and is just a 40.7 percent shooter for his career. Not exactly enticing when one of the principal goals of bringing in a competent backup for Rondo would be to have a player who can make opponents pay for focusing on the three studs by hitting the occasional open jump shot. Stoudamire isn't a particularly dynamic passer and isn't known as a great defender. As such, the question of just how much better the Celtics get with Stoudamire on board becomes a very viable one.

This isn't to say that the team needs to go out and get Cassell or Payton or that they have the means to do so. But unless the feeling is that Damon Stoudamire's presence would almost assuredly allow this Celts team to take a quantum leap forward when it matters most, rushing into an agreement to acquire him hardly seems worth the haste, the cost or the character risk undertaken by bringing him in.

I mostly disagree with the article. I don`t see his character as a problem. He is 34 now and is more mature.

I also think he is a good shooter. His % aren`t breathtaking but he can shoot the three and can bring some offensive punch off the bench. He is also a good ballhandler which is what we are looking for in a PG backup.

I just hope they don`t come to an agreement quickly. The longer it takes the better for us, since the Cassell situation will be more transperent.

I agree. People look into the past too often. He hasn't been an issue for quite sometime now. His defense isn't why he would be brought in for. He would come in to control the 2nd unit or if Rondo is out, it allows Tony and Eddie to play their natural positions.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#31 » by ParticleMan » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:52 pm

I basically agree with that article. I don't like Damon much. OTOH, he is an improvement for us in certain situations. Frankly, I think House will still be our backup PG. Damon would be 3rd string, who would play if House is ineffective because of pressure or poor shooting. I don't see House being bumped from the backup PG spot. His ballhandling is shaky but his shooting is really valuable. Where we really get exposed is when Rondo (or House) is out, and we have to use one of the Allen Bros. at PG. Then things go downhill. Having Damon there isntead would definitely help.
P2
Banned User

Post#32 » by P2 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:53 pm

thebirdman wrote:A more negative look at possible Stoudamire signing from the article on celticsblog:

I concur. But I would rather have him quickly, because Phoenix would basically sign him the next minute he is a free agent, and Boston and Phoenix are his Top 2 options. If Boston is hesistant to sign him, Damon will accept Phoenix's offer with alacrity.

Return to Boston Celtics