Should the Hornets take back Chris Andersen?

Moderator: bwgood77

howard2
Sophomore
And1: 0

Should the Hornets take back Chris Andersen? 

Post#1 » by howard2 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:36 am

From ESPN
Jan 26,2008
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3214792

Andersen to attempt comeback after drug suspension
Chris Andersen, who was "dismissed and disqualified" from the NBA and the New Orleans Hornets on Jan. 27, 2006, after testing positive for a prohibited substance, is eligible to apply for reinstatement beginning Sunday -- exactly two years after he was thrown out of the league.

If Andersen's application is granted, the Hornets would then have a 30-day exclusive window to tender him a contract for the remainder of the season. Sources have told ESPN.com that the Hornets are indeed quite interested in bringing Andersen back to a roster short on front-court depth.

Should the Hornets decline to sign him, Andersen would become an unrestricted free agent and could sign with any team.

When he was banished, Andersen was earning $3.5 million in the first year of a four-year, $14 million contract he had signed the previous offseason. If the Hornets want to re-sign him, they would have to tender him a contract for the remainder of the season equal to a prorated portion of his old salary. (If his salary had been above $5 million at the time of his suspension, the maximum the Hornets could have offered him for the rest of the season would have been a prorated portion of $5 million, which was the amount of the midlevel exception at that time.)

New Orleans has won 14 of 16 games to move atop the Western Conference, and it would stand to reason that they'd be interested in re-signing Andersen prior to the playoffs, adding an energy player to a front line with suspect depth behind starting big men Tyson Chandler and David West. The Hornets are nearly $5 million below the league's luxury tax threshold.
MKWB
Sixth Man
And1: 627

Post#2 » by MKWB » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:22 am

Nope. Not worth messing with the awsome chemistry right now sitting on top the Western Conference. He's not a difference maker.
howard2
Sophomore

Second-chance points? 

Post#3 » by howard2 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:56 pm

From Boston.com
The Boston Globe
by Peter May
Jan 27,2008
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... ?page=full

Second-chance points?
Drug violator takes shot at reinstatement

On the night of Jan. 25, 2006, before a capacity crowd at the Ford Center in Oklahoma City, the San Antonio Spurs cruised past the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets, 84-68, a game utterly unremarkable save for one item that was not known at the time: It would be the Hornets' Chris Andersen's last game for at least two years.

more stories like thisAndersen played the type of game for which he had become well-known and reasonably well-compensated by NBA standards ($13 million over four years), accumulating 5 rebounds, 4 blocked shots, and 2 steals in 16 minutes off the bench. He had 1 point, missing all three of his field goal attempts and five of his six free throws. That season, his fifth in the NBA, he was averaging 5 points and 4.8 rebounds a game.

Two days later, Andersen was dismissed from the NBA for violating the league's drug policy. Under the terms of the policy, Andersen lost his contract (he was into the first year of the $13 million deal) and could not apply for reinstatement for two years. Tomorrow, a day after the two-year anniversary of his dismissal, the papers for his reinstatement will be delivered to both the NBA and the NBA Players Association. And Andersen, who is still only 29, will then wait to see what his fate will be.

Andersen has been working out diligently in Las Vegas and Denver, and has hardly been a wallflower while serving the suspension. He has attended several Nuggets games and at least one Hornets game this season. He completed a rehabilitation program in Malibu, Calif., and has said he hasn't had a drink or taken drugs since the suspension. He also developed a friendship with Kevin Garnett while working out in Las Vegas.

Andersen was the first player to be suspended under the drug program since Stanley Roberts in 1999 and is the first to file for reinstatement since Roy Tarpley, who was banned in 1995. Tarpley's request was denied, so Andersen could be the first to be suspended and then return and contribute.

Andersen's agent, Steven Heuman, confirmed by phone from Israel that the reinstatement papers will be submitted tomorrow and he is hoping for a quick (and favorable) decision. According to the CBA, what the league and Players Association decide is binding and cannot be appealed.

There's no denying Andersen's appeal and popularity among fans and teammates. The player universally known as "Birdman" has a Varejao-esque game, with the requisite amount of energy, athleticism, and enthusiasm. Said former teammate Andre Miller, "He brought a lot of energy to the game and he's a good guy to be around. He's going to get a second chance to prove himself and I know he's prepared.

"He'll be good for a team that's looking for a guy who can bring energy, athleticism, rebounding, hustle, and get the crowd involved. That's what he did when we played together in Denver."

The Hornets have the first crack at Andersen once his application is approved. They have 30 days in which to make an offer, and if they do, it will have to be no less than a one-year offer, prorated, for the same amount Andersen was making in 2005-06 (roughly $3.5 million).

The big issue is when that 30-day period begins. If the Hornets choose not to make an offer, then Andersen becomes an unrestricted free agent, whereupon all teams would have a crack at him and could use whatever exceptions they have. Realistically, if it comes to that, Andersen is looking at a veteran minimum offer, prorated, which works out to around $600,000.

The Hornets aren't tipping their hand. They do have roster space, and the money they would give to Andersen would not put them into Luxury Tax Land. It has generally been assumed that the Hornets will take a pass on Andersen, but with their surprising success this season, maybe they feel he can help. And he's an undeniable asset.

"We wish Chris the best of luck in his application for reinstatement to the league," Hornets GM Jeff Bower said in a statement. "We will monitor the process that is set forth by the NBA, but will have no further comment until their decision has been made."

For Andersen, that decision can't come soon enough.
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#4 » by 2poor » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:25 pm

Yes, I'd still love to have him back and the bench could probably use the jolt. I've always been fond of Birdman and I really do think he's realized that if he wants to be a professional he needs to act like one both on and off the floor.

Here's a nice read from the Denver Post; it was written by Benjamin Hochman, who up until recently covered the Hornets for the Times-Picayune.

Denver Post wrote:Time for second chance

After completing a drug treatment program in Malibu, Calif., Andersen spent much of the past two years in Denver and Las Vegas, where he worked out with Joe Abunassar, a renowned basketball trainer.

During the summer of 2007, Andersen played eight weeks of intense pickup basketball, guarding the likes of Kevin Garnett and Jermaine O'Neal. Andersen played like he belonged.

It's hard to gauge how well the 29-year-old Andersen will play if reinstated. But Abunassar is making sure Andersen is as prepared as possible.

"He's maintained his speed, athleticism, aggressiveness, leaping ability," Abunassar said. "Those are things we monitor very carefully, to make sure he doesn't get too big (in the weight room) that he'd lose the bounciness that makes him so special. And we've done a lot of work on the court.

"I haven't known him for his whole basketball career, but I find it hard to believe he's ever worked harder than for this chance to get back."

Perseverance has brought perspective. Or maybe it's the other way around. Birdman still is the omnipresent goofball, the life of the party
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#5 » by theTHIEF » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:47 pm

Ron Murray is a natural rebounder, can shoot the 3 and doesn't smoke weed...

:D :D
king_k4life
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#6 » by king_k4life » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:30 am

thEthIEf wrote:Ron Murray is a natural rebounder, can shoot the 3 and doesn't smoke weed...

Whats wrong with smoking weed :evil:
gold_leader64
Pro Prospect
And1: 256

Post#7 » by gold_leader64 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:06 am

Birdman was kicked out for more than weed. It was an abusive substance, probably crack. Here's my view on his situation:

If he did complete the drug testing program (read it was like a test every week for the past year), and he get's reinstated (hasn't happened yet, and might not happen), then I think there would be a place in N.O.

Here's the reasoning: Scott isn't going to put up with anything, so if Chris would start to have a negative impact, he won't last. He didn't put up with JR Smith, and he won't put up with Chris. Second, the bench is thin, despite the recent surge lately. Anderson can provide a spark off the bench, and will be needed come playoffs, since Bowen and Ely probably aren't going to cut it in a 7 game series.
hornets686
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by hornets686 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:39 am

gold_leader64 wrote:Birdman was kicked out for more than weed. It was an abusive substance, probably crack. Here's my view on his situation:

If he did complete the drug testing program (read it was like a test every week for the past year), and he get's reinstated (hasn't happened yet, and might not happen), then I think there would be a place in N.O.

Here's the reasoning: Scott isn't going to put up with anything, so if Chris would start to have a negative impact, he won't last. He didn't put up with JR Smith, and he won't put up with Chris. Second, the bench is thin, despite the recent surge lately. Anderson can provide a spark off the bench, and will be needed come playoffs, since Bowen and Ely probably aren't going to cut it in a 7 game series.

ELYS a NBA CHAMPION ;)
>:oPut this in your profile if your pissed that the Duke Lacrosse team didn't invite you to their party.
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#9 » by 2poor » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:59 pm

Crack? That is the dumbest thing I heard. It is pretty widely-known (though never publicly stated) that Birdman liked to party hard, part of which involved putting some cocaine up his nose.

Scott, Paul, and even George Shinn's son are fond of Birdman and would likely be in his corner should they be asked for their thoughts.
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,400

Post#10 » by magee » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:35 pm

It was coke. And he's worth bringing back. He's better than the bigs thaat are currently on the team.

Can the Hornets please please please please trade for John Salmons?
gold_leader64
Pro Prospect
And1: 256

Post#11 » by gold_leader64 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:32 pm

2poor wrote:Crack? That is the dumbest thing I heard. It is pretty widely-known (though never publicly stated) that Birdman liked to party hard, part of which involved putting some cocaine up his nose.

Scott, Paul, and even George Shinn's son are fond of Birdman and would likely be in his corner should they be asked for their thoughts.

crack = cocaine in a different form. Whether he liked the powder or the rocks, he still wasn't doing the right thing.
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,400

Post#12 » by magee » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:49 am

Crack is coke cooked with baking soda under a lamp, then dried out for 48 hours. Coke is the powder taken straight off the coca plants, then packaged and shipped illegally through government planes into the states. There's a noticeable difference between crack users and coke users.

Regardless, if he's cleaned up his act, and the Hornets don't take him back, I could see a certain division rival taking a flier on him (San Antonio).
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,103
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#13 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Feb 1, 2008 12:17 pm

thEthIEf wrote:Ron Murray is a natural rebounder, can shoot the 3 and doesn't smoke weed...

His dunks go down too :D
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 386

Post#14 » by pad300 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 4:35 pm

Question - does anyone here have an update on if Andersen has been reinstated by the league yet? If I understand correctly, NOH has 30 days after that date (ie. from when the league says he is reinstated, rather than the day ( Jan 28 ) he applied to be reinstated) to sign him.
2poor
RealGM

Post#15 » by 2poor » Tue Feb 5, 2008 6:12 pm

He hasn't been re-instated yet, as far as I know he's done what he needs to do as for as applying goes, from this point it is just a waiting game until the league office rules on it.

They have 30 days from the official reinstatement.
TheCardinal20
Junior
And1: 20

Post#16 » by TheCardinal20 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:32 pm

I hope so, if he has defeated his demons...he deserves a shot...
2poor
RealGM

Post#17 » by 2poor » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:24 pm

starting to look like it is just a matter of time..

Boston Globe wrote:Once forward/center Chris Andersen gets reinstated by the NBA, the Hornets are expected to re-sign him, according to an NBA source. If Andersen became a free agent, Boston would be expected to have interest.

link
Deity Allah
Junior
And1: 2

Post#18 » by Deity Allah » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:36 pm

What's taken the NBA so long? He submitted his application over a month ago.

Question, if they don't approve his reinstatment by March 1st, can he still be eligible for to play on a playoff roster? Just wanted to know if his suspension gives him a loophole in regards to the rule to which he could sign after March 1st and still be playoff eligible.
2poor
RealGM

Post#19 » by 2poor » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:39 pm

Deity Allah wrote:What's taken the NBA so long? He submitted his application over a month ago.

Question, if they don't approve his reinstatment by March 1st, can he still be eligible for to play on a playoff roster? Just wanted to know if his suspension gives him a loophole in regards to the rule to which he could sign after March 1st and still be playoff eligible.

No idea what is taking so long nor do I have an answer to your question.

The main problem here is that such reinstatements are few and far between in the NBA, so we have little to no precedent to go by in such a situation.

ESPN.com wrote:An NBA spokesman said Andersen would be the first player since Roy Tarpley, who was banned from the NBA in 1995, to formally apply for reinstatement.

Tarpley's application was denied and he sued the NBA last September in federal court in Houston claiming the league violated the Americans with Disabilities Act by refusing to reinstate him.
The Answer!
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,006

Post#20 » by The Answer! » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:40 pm

Teddy Kider wrote: Image Image The Times-Picayune - Brown could have provided the Hornets with another frontcourt player, something Scott has mentioned as a possible candidate for one or both of two open roster spots.

The Hornets are still in the running for Chris Andersen, the 6-foot-10 former Hornet who has applied for reinstatement to the NBA after being disqualified for violating the league's substance abuse policy more than two years ago.

Scott said he planned to sit down with Bower today and come up with a list of available big men.

"You need beef, man," Hornets forward David West said. "I'm a big believer in beef. Marc Jackson was that guy for us last year. It creates a different dimension behind Tyson (Chandler), a change of pace, almost."

Return to New Orleans Pelicans