ImageImageImageImage

Why the hell didn't Orlando trade their expirings for Gasol?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#49 » by mhectorgato » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:20 pm

Typhoon20 wrote:If you WERE reading it right, you wouldn't have stuck up on the salary cap part.

Here's a question for you, imagine Dwight wants out because he's having some personal problems with our front office,
in return Otis announces he's not looking for a superstar in return, just expirings AND top draft picks.

2 teams make you an offer.
The first team offers you expirings plus 2 1st round draft picks.
Because that team is a championship contender you'll get a draft pick between 25 and 30.
The second team offers you expirings plus 2 1st round draft picks. But that team isn't very good and does bad in the standings, in return the picks will be TOP 10 worthy, the first season they'll most likely get a top 3 pick.

Which one would you accept ?

I wonder which McHale would accept?

Except KG >>>> Pow.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#50 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:24 pm

Typhoon20 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If you WERE reading it right, you wouldn't have stuck up on the salary cap part.

Here's a question for you, imagine Dwight wants out because he's having some personal problems with our front office,
in return Otis announces he's not looking for a superstar in return, just expirings AND top draft picks.

2 teams make you an offer.
The first team offers you expirings plus 2 1st round draft picks.
Because that team is a championship contender you'll get a draft pick between 25 and 30.
The second team offers you expirings plus 2 1st round draft picks. But that team isn't very good and does bad in the standings, in return the picks will be TOP 10 worthy, the first season they'll most likely get a top 3 pick.

Which one would you accept ?

LOL stop thinking so much, ur just confusing yourself. First of all you dont know what other teams were offering. You dont know if Mem talked to others team or just made a deal with the first team that picked up the phone. For all we know LA might have been the only team offering 2 draft picks, so all you said is a moot point. What looks certain is that they wanted salary relief. This deal reaks of salary reduction pushed on by their ownership.
aka: prorl
Happyfoosball
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#51 » by Happyfoosball » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:30 pm

Typhoon20 wrote:This has nothing to do with Otis.

We're just not exciting enough for Stern.
They want a Boston vs Lakers final, they'll get it, by all means necessary.

I honestly feel that way sometimes. How does Boston end up with KG, Ray Allen in one offseason without giving up any major peices? I mean seriously. Then this **** happens. This trade was totally lopsided.
"I like our team" - Otis Smith
inmate347
Senior
And1: 42

Post#52 » by inmate347 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:34 pm

Arroyo, Garrity, and Dooling for Gasol works. We could have thrown in some of the international players we've been stockpiling. The front office isn't very good at scouting for draft picks anyway, so the picks aren't much to give up. Otis better have something good in the works or we just lost out on the piece that would have made the Magic championship contenders.

Could Hedo or Lewis play shooting guard? If neither can, it seems that is the only reason we wouldn't make this trade. Sure they would occasionally get lit up by the quicker off guards, but is that really much of a change from what we have now? Besides, they'd have two seven footers backing them up in the paint with Gasol here.
happypedro12
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#53 » by happypedro12 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:43 pm

Yea if i would've known we could've gotten Paul Gasol for Carlos arroyo and a bag of Sunchips I would've made the trade too. Situations like that I think are just like being in a frat. LA lakers have pull with almost every team just because they are the lakers, there are lots of connections with them. this would never happen with a small market team. oh well, at least they are in the west
Whether you think you CAN or you think you CAN'T, you're right.
happypedro12
Bench Warmer

Post#54 » by happypedro12 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:44 pm

I honestly feel that way sometimes. How does Boston end up with KG, Ray Allen in one offseason without giving up any major peices? I mean seriously. Then this **** happens. This trade was totally lopsided.

Pro sports are rigged and with basketball you can really see it. Like i just said, there's no way either of the boston or LA trades would've happened with some small market team like memphis or Miluakee (spellin)
Whether you think you CAN or you think you CAN'T, you're right.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#55 » by AdamTheGreek » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:49 pm

magicman123 wrote:four words, otis:..... "i like our team"

Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#56 » by magicfan4life05 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:52 pm

wheres our man dctdre? he had some awesome actual quotes from otis about "this team" that were hilaroius..
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Big Aaron
Junior

Post#57 » by Big Aaron » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:56 pm

Otisiah has really screwed us over for the last time. Thing is, all the time we're doing reasonably well (not as well as we should be doing), he'll have a job.

It's sickening now.

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:If Brandon Roy & Richard Hamilton had a baby...and Penny & Spiderman had a baby...and then some how those two babies met in the future and F***ed, that would be Courtney Lee.
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#58 » by mhectorgato » Fri Feb 1, 2008 11:15 pm

inmate347 wrote:Arroyo, Garrity, and Dooling for Gasol works. We could have thrown in some of the international players we've been stockpiling. The front office isn't very good at scouting for draft picks anyway, so the picks aren't much to give up. Otis better have something good in the works or we just lost out on the piece that would have made the Magic championship contenders.

Could Hedo or Lewis play shooting guard? If neither can, it seems that is the only reason we wouldn't make this trade. Sure they would occasionally get lit up by the quicker off guards, but is that really much of a change from what we have now? Besides, they'd have two seven footers backing them up in the paint with Gasol here.

Who's our backup PG to Jameer?
When Jameer is out, who is our PG? and backup PG?

Think of the big picture.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#59 » by mhectorgato » Fri Feb 1, 2008 11:16 pm

Big Aaron wrote:Otisiah has really screwed us over for the last time. Thing is, all the time we're doing reasonably well (not as well as we should be doing), he'll have a job.

It's sickening now.

Oti$ is overpaid!!!!
inmate347
Senior
And1: 42

Post#60 » by inmate347 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 11:47 pm

Can that d-league point guard that keeps tearing it up be any worse than arroyo? If the Magic can't deal their expirings, we should just cut them and sign that guy.
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#61 » by lovehoops01 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 11:50 pm

Just like the fact that Kevin McHale is a former Boston Celtic and sent his star to the Boston Celtics.....

Jerry West, the former star and GM of the Los Angeles Lakers, never has been the general manager of the Orlando Magic, but he has been the GM of the Memphis Grizzlies and remains friends with the owner. And that's how that deal got done, baby.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#62 » by UCF » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:02 am

This has to be the cheapest Star trade I've seen in a while. I think the only thing I remember close to this bad was the K-Mart trade to Denver... which turned out imo to be a blessing to NJ.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#63 » by magicfan4life05 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:07 am

^
dont forget baron davis to GS for dale davis and speedy claxton, that turned out to be a great trade for hornets only because of their own pick (cp3)

and also dont forget the infamous VC trade...
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
jamlando
Rookie

Post#64 » by jamlando » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:12 am

You guys are talking crap about Otis, let's take a look at Memphis. First, sources have them trading Swift to the Nets for Jason Collins. Not certain if this trade will go thru now because of the Gasol trade. If it does, Memphis will have 3 big stiffs - 2 top 1st round draft busts in Darko & Kwame and Jason Collins. Not exactly a scary front line.

I don't understand the choices made here. Darko has already been such a disappointment for them and then they are looking to pick up 2 more stiffs that are worse than Darko. Good luck Memphis!

I'd take our frontcourt over that garbage any day.
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#65 » by N4U|Redux » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:51 am

We couldnt' top freaking Jason Collins to get Swift?

I don't really like Swift that much, but he's certainly better than any bench PF we've currently got, or likely will get if this is how Otis is going to be.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#66 » by Cammo101 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 2:28 am

n0tforyou wrote:We couldnt' top freaking Jason Collins to get Swift?

I don't really like Swift that much, but he's certainly better than any bench PF we've currently got, or likely will get if this is how Otis is going to be.

Why would we want to? NJ is overpaying for that bum.
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#67 » by N4U|Redux » Sat Feb 2, 2008 2:47 am

Cammo101 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Why would we want to? NJ is overpaying for that bum.

For a guy like Collins he's worth the risk.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#68 » by richboy » Sat Feb 2, 2008 3:00 am

Memphis is trying to become the top player in a very strong free agent class. They already have some great young players and should have another high pick. This deal is really Gasol for whoever free agent they sign this offseason.

The Magic might been able to match this deal by giving Memphis more expiring contracts and taking on Cardinals contract. Fran V plus JJ might be even better than JC. Fact is Otis is not a pro-active GM. He won't give up any of his precious players for Gasol but I'm sure if Kwame Brown is cut he be the first to call.

Return to Orlando Magic