ImageImageImage

Gasol traded to the Lakers

Moderator: ijspeelman

Bamboozled
Sophomore
And1: 0

Gasol traded to the Lakers 

Post#1 » by Bamboozled » Fri Feb 1, 2008 8:42 pm

It seems like the Lakers pulled off a monster deal by acquiring Gasol without disrupting their core. Sure, it cost them Crittendon, as well as 2 first rounders, but now there's a legit argument that LA has the best frontline in the league now.

Additionally, this move gives them frontcourt insurance in case Bynum isn't the same when he comes back OR if they package Lamar Odom in a deal to the Nets for Jason Kidd.
Go Cavs!
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#2 » by B Mac » Fri Feb 1, 2008 8:53 pm

Lets help the Grizzlies out with that logjam at the PG spot. Navarro, you are more than welcome here.
Gordon Bombay
Head Coach
And1: 79

Post#3 » by Gordon Bombay » Fri Feb 1, 2008 9:02 pm

if anyones interested, the bulls board is an absolute riot right now
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#4 » by INKtastic » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:40 pm

I read through some of it - I think bulls fans may be more upset than memphis fans over the trade.

At least we know now who we'll be playing in the finals.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
kiwibrindle
Starter
And1: 80

Post#5 » by kiwibrindle » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:48 pm

I love that Chicago is pissed. Now they understand how a small market team feels when we get passed over.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#6 » by TheOUTLAW » Fri Feb 1, 2008 11:08 pm

To be honest I really don't understand that trade. It just seems that Memphis could have gotten more. Now had we been able to do a deal like that I'd be all for it. 2 picks for a Gasol is alot better value to me than one for Bibby or 2 for Kidd.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by B Mac » Fri Feb 1, 2008 11:48 pm

Am I the only one that doesnt think this puts the Lakers over the top, and instant Finals lock like every board around realgm is saying right now? Obviously they made a great deal to acquire Pau, but that doesnt change the fact that Gasol is soft as Charmin. Id like to actually see them play together before I start annoiting them the new kings of the West.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by TheOUTLAW » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:11 am

Gasol doesn't have to be that tough as long as they have Bynum and Kwame inside. I like this for them and while I think it moves them up to being a better team than the Celtics I don't necessarily think either team is a given to get to the finals. The Lakers are however going to be a bear to matchup against defensively.
Cevap
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#9 » by Cevap » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:17 am

Lets hope this lowers Kidd's value and Ferry SOMEHOW pulls off a move

i doubt it'll happen to us
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by B Mac » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:18 am

They dont have Kwame Outty. Even if they do, it will be another 30 days until they can get him, and he sucks to begin with. Gasol or no Gasol we will still own the Lakers.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by TheOUTLAW » Sat Feb 2, 2008 1:04 am

I realize that they traded Kwame, but evidently he'll be back. So they can go offense/defense when it matters.

Don't get me wrong I'll think we can beat the Lakers until they beat us, but Gasol might have actually put them over the top.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,695

Post#12 » by Benedict_Boozer » Sat Feb 2, 2008 1:37 am

^It's not even a question, the Lakers are CLEARLY better than us now Lebron or not.

Their front line is all over 6'10 and capable of dropping a double double. They will be a great rebounding team and have 2 7 footers around the rim to block shots. Bigs win in the NBA as proven by our team and that is one helluva front line any way you want to spin it.

Then consider they kept all their best bench players like Farmar and Turiaf, and have a great offensive/defensive backcourt with Fisher/Bryant, AND have Phil Jackson - a HOF Coach..it's not even close and I hate the Lakers.

To me that team has better, younger talent than the Celtics. Ferry better make a trade for Kidd/Bibby, we need to upgrade if we want to compete with the top tier West teams at this point..
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by TheOUTLAW » Sat Feb 2, 2008 2:55 am

The good thing about this trade is that the Lakers really didn't give up anything meaningful. However, all the trades being bandied about here have the Cavs giving up way too much for it to have anything near the impact that the Gasol trade has for the Lakers. Not to mention the fact that Gasol isn't old and overpaid or close to washed up. Nor did the Lakers take back crappy contracts unlike the ones people here are talking about.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#14 » by INKtastic » Sat Feb 2, 2008 6:24 am

Benedict_Boozer wrote:^It's not even a question, the Lakers are CLEARLY better than us now Lebron or not.

Their front line is all over 6'10 and capable of dropping a double double. They will be a great rebounding team and have 2 7 footers around the rim to block shots. Bigs win in the NBA as proven by our team and that is one helluva front line any way you want to spin it.

Then consider they kept all their best bench players like Farmar and Turiaf, and have a great offensive/defensive backcourt with Fisher/Bryant, AND have Phil Jackson - a HOF Coach..it's not even close and I hate the Lakers.

To me that team has better, younger talent than the Celtics. Ferry better make a trade for Kidd/Bibby, we need to upgrade if we want to compete with the top tier West teams at this point..

Funny, I don't see that much difference between us and the Lakers. If the Lakers do reach the finals, which seems far more likely now, I expect them to be playing us.

People spend too much time trashing our supporting cast because we look bad without LeBron. They aren't built and coached to do well without LeBron, they are built to do well with LeBron. And lately we've been spectacular.

Match us up when healthy with the Lakers and each team has their advantages, but I'm not about to concede anything. Not to the Lakers, not to the Celtics.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#15 » by L&H_05 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 8:26 am

lj4mvp wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Funny, I don't see that much difference between us and the Lakers. If the Lakers do reach the finals, which seems far more likely now, I expect them to be playing us.
I'm not shocked..

lj4mvp wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

but I'm not about to concede anything.
You never do...

You're quite the character... :lol:
hoopsdownlow
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#16 » by hoopsdownlow » Sat Feb 2, 2008 10:25 am

ha, we offered larry and drew.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by TheOUTLAW » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:54 pm

Unfortunately it won't be until next year that we'll have the expirings to make such a deal.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#18 » by Jajwanda » Sun Feb 3, 2008 10:44 pm

L&H_05 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You never do...

You're quite the character... :lol:

Ya I mean Gasol and Bynum together wouldn't make any difference on a Cavs versus Lakers matchup :lol:
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by B Mac » Sun Feb 3, 2008 10:52 pm

Jajwanda wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ya I mean Gasol and Bynum together wouldn't make any difference on a Cavs versus Lakers matchup :lol:

Exactly. We all know Kobe would try to 1 up LeBron just like every other time and fail. Kobe trying to outperform LeBron leads to Cavaliers victory every time.
Smooth32
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#20 » by Smooth32 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 11:19 pm

lj4mvp wrote:People spend too much time trashing our supporting cast because we look bad without LeBron. They aren't built and coached to do well without LeBron, they are built to do well with LeBron. And lately we've been spectacular.

That's the thing that separates good teams with superstars and great teams with superstars: whether or not their supporting cast can do well without their superstar...

Dallas, Boston and San Antonio and now Los Angeles are all examples are reasons why they are at the top of the league and will be talked about as contenders...

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers