Dallas and San Antonio are Next to bulk up

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

Dallas and San Antonio are Next to bulk up 

Post#1 » by warren weel im » Wed Feb 6, 2008 2:54 pm

This is the part where I see the Bulls finally get rid of Ben Wallace. Bulls fans, consider my proposition and get it to management quick.

After the league saw the Lakers ascend into instant title contenders, Phoenix made their own knee-jerk and decided to roll the dice on the 35-yr old Shaq. However, the Gasol deal that the Lakers made still ranks on top as the "deal of the year" since it basically does not involve a player in the core rotation or a ripe prospect. While Phoenix may be finally getting rid of Marcus Banks, Shawn Marion is too valuable a player to send away. In fact, IMO, Marion IS the Suns MVP.

But my opinion does not matter on whether Shaq was a good deal or not. What I'd like to see is when the 2 other powerhouses of the West bulk up to match what are gigantic steps taken by two of their rivals. Being a Laker fan leads me to hope that they stand pat. Its too early to count the chicks before they hatch but the Lakers are indeed looking good. But as a fan of the game, wouldn't it be nice if these two team made their own blockbuster as well?

With all those 7-footers aligning out west, what piques my interest would be how San Antonio and Dallas knee-jerks. San Antonio looks like a calm and collected team who are able to withstand tremendous odds and find a way to win. But the West isn't as three-shallow as it used to be and it would be very nice to see them bulk up as well.

Proposal #1 San Antonio - Memphis

See, if its a firesale then everything MUST go. The Spurs are a financially sound franchise but they are getting old. Injecting youth might prolong their dominance and another 7-footer might do the trick. Since the Spurs thrive on kickouts for the corner three and all, I would not be too surprised if this deal went through:

Darko Millicic + Mike Miller + Juan Carlos Navarro
-- for --
Brent Barry + Francisco Elson + Robert Horry + Michael Finley
+ cash + 2 1sts

See, both guys which Memphis might consider as long-term actually fit their 3-yr window. The only difference would be that the Spurs will be capped out for the next 3 years. Then again, this might be their best chance at that. Knowing the window is closing fast, Buford might knee-jerk himself. But this is actually a very good deal if they decided to take it. Oh and Pau ain't in Memphis no more so, Navarro can come as a bonus.

Proposal #2 Dallas - Chicago

Its Ben Wallace and the Bulls are sweetening the deal. If Dallas went for Kidd, they'd now be the smallest team out West. They do not necessarily play the uptempo anymore so a defensive upgrade at center is exactly what this team needs. They also lack the finishers for Kidd to thrive since they play those endless isolations with Josh Howard at the wing.

Since this is basically a thank-you deal, Chicago might throw in a prospect or two. Since this would basically ensure Dallas' bid to stay in the Western Foursome, losing 2 picks would not be as bad anymore. Last time I checked, Cuban was still a billionaire. Adding 20m of salaries and taxes are petty cash expenses for the guy. At the end of the day, it will be survival of the fittest and this is what they need to do to survive:

Ben Wallace + Thabo Sefolosha
-- for --
Keith Van Horn (11m) + Devean George + DeSagana Diop + Brandon Bass + cash + 2 1sts

Then Dallas eventually upgraded its roster to super-elite status. The defensive addition of Ben Wallace will not harm its core (I understand Avery hesitating on including Devin Harris) as the Mavericks now stand as the toughest corner of this Western Foursome.

Bulls meanwhile celebrate by getting rid of their mistake. Lets just say its buyer's remorse and they use the money largely to spend on Ben Gordon and Luol Deng next summer.

Imagine:
Phoenix with:
Nash / Barbosa
Bell / ?
Hill / ?
Amare / Diaw
Shaq / Skinner

LA Lakers with:
Fisher / Farmar
Kobe / Sasha
Odom / Ariza
Gasol / Radmanovic
Bynum / Turiaf

Spurs with:
Parker / Damon
Miller / Ginobili
Bowen / Udoka
Duncan / Bonner
Millicic / Oberto

Mavericks with:
Harris / Terry
Stackhouse / Jones
Howard / Hassell
Nowitzki / Howard
Wallace / Dampier
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#2 » by BR0D1E86 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 2:56 pm

Is that your sig? It's fairly large.

At any rate, I've chosen to give up on the dream of moving Ben Wallace. That albatross will drag down the team for a while longer.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#3 » by Cliff Levingston » Wed Feb 6, 2008 3:11 pm

Wallace isn't really a defensive upgrade over Dampier so the logic behind the deal is flawed. Even if Dallas wanted Wallace, the Bulls don't need that much back. Just give KVH (expiring) + filler for Wallace and we're good to go.
ss1986v2
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#4 » by ss1986v2 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 3:33 pm

as ive said about a potential miller to the spurs trade, lets just keep it simple. we probably dont have interest in lowry, jcn, warrick, darko, or any other pieces. or another way of putting would be we dont want to part with the assets to acquire miller plus other said assets. so lets just keep it to miller if we can.

spurs highest offer is probably barry+elson+ian+1st. but if they can get it done without including ian, they probably would prefer to, and then include whatever else it would take it get it done (another 1st, 2nds, cash, ect...). but splitter is probably off the table.
Stupidity Should be Painful!
Stella Artois
Bench Warmer
And1: 31

Post#5 » by Stella Artois » Wed Feb 6, 2008 3:38 pm

I don't think the Spurs will be making any trades. Last year they were in the same position (more or less) and everybody was talking trade (Cory Magette's name came up more than once). In the end, no trades were made and everybody knows where the Spurs ended... That's right.

I think the Spurs will just hang on with their current core players and might (!) make some trades in the off season. Horry will retire. Finley and Barry might be gone. Tiago Splitter is also comming over and Ian Mahinmi might also get some more minutes.
Oomph
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Oomph » Wed Feb 6, 2008 3:49 pm

The remaining contending teams in the West better take a look at Foster or JO, 2 big men who can help any team (especially on the defensive end).

Utah or Houston are places whre Foster can be a great asset off the bench while JO could do wonders for a team like Denver.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 356

Post#7 » by Det the Threat » Wed Feb 6, 2008 4:14 pm

^^
I'd add Kurt Thomas in that mix, together with Foster, cause he can do everything Ben Wallace can, but isn't owed all that money.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,578

Post#8 » by hermes » Wed Feb 6, 2008 5:36 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:Wallace isn't really a defensive upgrade over Dampier so the logic behind the deal is flawed. Even if Dallas wanted Wallace, the Bulls don't need that much back. Just give KVH (expiring) + filler for Wallace and we're good to go.

i agree with cliff
who surprisingly isn't talking in the 3rd person

and i doubt the spurs will make any trades
Rand10
Starter
And1: 39

Post#9 » by Rand10 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:40 pm

Dallas would rather have Diop than Wallace. I really like Sefolosha but he's not enough to get us to take on Ben's contract. Then we have to give up two 1st's and Bass too? Easy pass.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#10 » by loserX » Thu Feb 7, 2008 12:09 am

Agreed with my esteemed colleagues. Dallas simply won't take on Ben Wallace, and even if they did, Chicago should be ecstatic to just get KVH for him. Two firsts and Diop and Bass? Seriously? Dampier for Ben Wallace is all I'd consider if I were the Mavs.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Re: Dallas and San Antonio are Next to bulk up 

Post#11 » by JES12 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 12:37 am

warren weel im wrote:Ben Wallace + Thabo Sefolosha
-- for --
Keith Van Horn (11m) + Devean George + DeSagana Diop + Brandon Bass + cash + 2 1sts

Then Dallas eventually upgraded its roster to super-elite status. The defensive addition of Ben Wallace will not harm its core (I understand Avery hesitating on including Devin Harris) as the Mavericks now stand as the toughest corner of this Western Foursome.

Bulls meanwhile celebrate by getting rid of their mistake. Lets just say its buyer's remorse and they use the money largely to spend on Ben Gordon and Luol Deng next summer.

Mavericks with:
Harris / Terry
Stackhouse / Jones
Howard / Hassell
Nowitzki / Howard
Wallace / Dampier

Dampier > Diop > Wallace

Return to Trades and Transactions