ImageImageImage

Has Ray Allen been a dissappointment?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

GreenGrizz
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#49 » by GreenGrizz » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:06 am

What did we really expect from Ray Allen? We are now 41-9 still winning without big guys. He is nice to have in the playoffs.
nyhuskyfan
Senior
And1: 127

Post#50 » by nyhuskyfan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:11 pm

Plus, you see games like the one in Indiana when he comes out on fire with 10 points in the first five minutes. In Seattle, he would have demanded the ball, shot 25+ times and had 40 or so points. Instead, he finished 9-16 for 23 points and the Celtics won.

He's taken more than 16 shots only four times since December 1 (a span of 31 games). That's not a very big number.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#51 » by The Rondo Show » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:12 pm

vegas_runnin_rebel wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

His game logs say otherwise. You're talking out of your ass.

And as Doc Rivers put it, "He's the guy on our team who's had to sacrifice the most, and I don't know why that sacrifice wasn't recognized."
That's exactly the quote I was going to bring up once I read his post. I don't see how anyone could possibly say Ray hasn't sacrificed to win. He's taking 6.2 less shots per game and has often been the 3rd option this season.

He's also been, by far, our best clutch player this year and he hasn't complained about the plays always being drawn up for Pierce at the end despite Pierce struggling in those situations this year and Ray excelling. He's also playing the best D he has in years and really buying into TT's defensive system.

With comments like "his shooting has been horrid" and "he isn't sacrificing for the team", it seems like someone just doesn't like Ray and is going to bash him regardless of what he does.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#52 » by meatball sub » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:28 pm

His shooting has been a disappointment for the most part but he's become more consistent as of late. It could be our expectations were too high wishing he will drain just about every wide open three the defense gives him. He's been clutch as hell so that has made up for some of his poor shooting nights.

He's forced shots at times trying to get himself going but I can't recall him forcing up a terrible shot at a key time during a game. Having him on the court to spread the defense and always knowing he's a threat has probably been his main contribution to the team this year. Two or three weeks ago I would have answered this question with an emphatic "yes" but since KG has been out Ray has stepped up and played much better.

Many people were calling Ray washed up and I think the truth has been revealed over the past few weeks, Ray still needs to adjust to being the 3rd option. Of course we'd all love for him to be adjusted already but as long as he's comfortable come playoff time I won't be too upset.

As long as we win you can't complain too much though. The fact that most of us have seen Ray's play thus far as a slight disappointment, we're 40-9. The best thing we learned in the 1st half of the year was that we CAN play with 2/3 and maybe even found out who our most valuable player truly is....Paul Pierce.
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#53 » by Kefa461 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:43 pm

That's why the posts have dropped lately.....answering stupid questions like this one 41-9 and has Ray disappointed??? :crazy: Why no I think not. 8)

Sorry..........I didn't mean it....... 8)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
Man_Up
Senior
And1: 1

Post#54 » by Man_Up » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:05 pm

Let me get this out the way.

RAY ALLEN IS NOT A VOLUME SHOOTER.

Player's like Iverson, Sebastien Telfair, Jamal Crawford are Volume shooters. Ray Allen is NOT a Volume shooter he is a shooter. Volume shooter suggests that he needs a huge amount of shots to get his points. That hasn't really been the case through his career so I don't know why it's suddenly being stated as if it were a fact.

When he played in Seattle him taking 20+ shots per game was the game plan. It's not because he needed 20+ to put up as much. They were a high tempo running team that wanted to out score you it was a lot of quick shots, a lot of shooting period.

If you disagree with me you can look at the numbers. For his career his FG% is 44%, IMO, that's average. I consider anything below 43 percent volume shooting. He's only had 2 seasons not including this one where he's shot 42 percent from the field, none below.

Ray is just having an off shooting year, and it's not because he's not getting enough shots. I think it's been pretty obvious that it was/is the ankles.

Just so you know Ray has a higher FG% for his career than Paul.
Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
HighAboveCourtside
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#55 » by HighAboveCourtside » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:32 pm

Short answer: No

Long answer: No

Even longer answer: All-Stars aren't disappointments
Man_Up
Senior

Post#56 » by Man_Up » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:38 am

Ray made the All-star team off of multiple Injuries, Record, and Reputation.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#57 » by jfs1000d » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:19 am

This premise shows a fundamental misunderstanding of hoops.

The shooting percentage is down because Ray Allen is not getting to his favorite shots on the floor. Ray isn't a spot up shooter, he creates space for his shot off the dribble. Ray is at his best off the bounce, which because of how the Celtics play with KG and Pierce really limits his opportunities.

He is missing shots he probably will end up making, but that he is at 17 ppg and not killing this team with volume shooting is a good sign.

He has played well enough for us to be 41-9. He is fitting in well, he just had to be the one to adjust his style of play. He has been very unselfish too.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#58 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:29 pm

kobeSTOPkobeDONT wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
He's also been, by far, our best clutch player this year and he hasn't complained about the plays always being drawn up for Pierce at the end despite Pierce struggling in those situations this year and Ray excelling.

That's just wrong. Ray's had the ball in his hands for one clutch play, he proceeded to move to the left corner line a miss a shot over a center. His play had no chance to pass it off to anyone and a low chance he would succeed. And that's how Ray does his clutch play, he just shoots and sees what happens.

All of Ray's game winners have come after Pierce has touched the ball.

I am cranky about this because I hate how people don't recognize Pierce for his unselfishness in the clutch. And Pierce doesn't always pass like KG gets knocked for, he's hit a game winner already this year... he just takes what the defense gives him.
Luxurytaxlotterybust
Senior
And1: 6

Post#59 » by Luxurytaxlotterybust » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:30 pm

The previous post is a good one. Pierce is much better down the stretch now that he has more options.

I you look at stats only. Yes Ray Allen has been disappointing. But he has helped solidified a team and come up big in certain games.

That being said I do hope that Ray Ray has a better 2nd half than the first half. We will need in a 1/2 court playoff type game.
"THERE'S A STEAL BY BIRD! WHO GIVES IT TO DJ. WHO LAYS IT UP AND IN!"
Man_Up
Senior

Post#60 » by Man_Up » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:47 pm

jfs1000d wrote:This premise shows a fundamental misunderstanding of hoops.

The shooting percentage is down because Ray Allen is not getting to his favorite shots on the floor. Ray isn't a spot up shooter, he creates space for his shot off the dribble. Ray is at his best off the bounce, which because of how the Celtics play with KG and Pierce really limits his opportunities.

He is missing shots he probably will end up making, but that he is at 17 ppg and not killing this team with volume shooting is a good sign.

He has played well enough for us to be 41-9. He is fitting in well, he just had to be the one to adjust his style of play. He has been very unselfish too.

I'm going to assume you were talking about my post. And i'm going to have to disagree with you about Ray. What's to be misunderstood? I'm of the belief that Good/Great shooters are labeled that because they make the open shots. Your basically saying he's missing shots because he's not used to being so open and would be better off create the looks himself.

Ray is the purest of pure shooters. Some of the shots that he's been missing have been inexcusable when considering how great a shooter he's been. And he has definitely gotten his fair share of shots off the dribble. Saying that he's missing shots because he needs to dribble around a bit is just silly too me when considering the type of player Ray is. Ray is like the shooting guard version of Tim Duncan, IMO, As fundamentally sound as it gets. How could an elite shooter like Ray Allen not be a good shooter off the catch, when wide open.

I believe and will continue to believe that he just hasn't had his legs under him. And he hasn't played like the All-star Ray Allen for a majority of the year. I'll admit part of his shooting woes are because he's taking more 3 point shots, but I believe it's mainly because he's been getting inconsistent lift on the jumper.

Return to Boston Celtics