ImageImageImage

Tony has to go this offseason

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

billfromBoston
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#37 » by billfromBoston » Fri Apr 4, 2008 6:48 pm

sully00 wrote:I think that this has played out pretty well for Boston. Tony is still a great defender, he has struggled some offensively more importantly he didn't get to put up big numbers in garbage time, that would have skewed his production. I though he could end up avg 12 a game without providing much more impact that he has. I think now that Boston either gets him back on a deal that starts around his QO or for his QO on a one year deal.

But then again somebody gave Brian Scalabrine 15 mil.

...good to see that the IQ on this board is strong on this topic...many posters haver iterated this sentiment and its correct IMO...

..Tony has no market value and is restricted, as a defensive sub at the wing, Tony would be worth 2mill per and I doubt he's going to be offered much more...if he can round his offensive game back out, which I believe he can, than all the better, but there's no reason to let him go if he plays a role the team needs at a price it can afford...

I'd say the chances are likely that he'll be back, barring some left-field big dollar offer from some insane GM-not likely to happen...
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by billfromBoston » Fri Apr 4, 2008 6:55 pm

[quote="BadMuthaCeltic"][/quote]

If the Celtics want to replace Tony's defense at the wing, they need look no further than Tony's alma mater...Marcus Dove is an EXCEPTIONAL defender, he's considered a Bruce Bowen equivalent...

...but one has to factor in a couple of things...Dove is a rookie next season and he doesn't have the offensive ability of TA...so TA's 4 years experience and comparable defensive skill may be more worthwhile...

...I think TA will be back, but he's going to be pressed for PT by whomever else is on the team...it'll be up to TA to regain his spot on this team..again, I think he'll do it...the 2nd year after surgery is really the key year in many cases-Leon Powe being a perfect example...I don't believe that players "lose" their ability to play if they are 100 percent physically...TA showed he could play on a high level last season, if he's healthy in MIND and body he'll work his way back up the food chain...
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by billfromBoston » Fri Apr 4, 2008 7:09 pm

sully00 wrote:Tony has a QO for 2.7 mil, he will get at least that or he will be gone, this isn't that tricky don't hurt yourself.

If you are also one of the people that gave up on Perk you should have to declare that.

Let's stop acting like Danny Ainge is some hardline negotiator, it doesn't really work in the NBA anyhow. If you want a player you pay him. The way the season has gone Tony has two choices he can take the QO and wait to be an unrestricted FA next year, or take a team friendly 2 or 3 year deal. I don't think Boston can just let him walk, they have other holes to fill in FA as well as other guys to sign with limited options to do it.

Last off season Charlie Bell landed a 5 year 18 mil dollar deal in restricted FA and Danny Ainge was all in on that if he could have worked out a S&T deal. Now Bell was coming off of a good year and Tony isn't but your are on drugs if you think that Charlie Bell is a better player than Tony Allen.

Going to have to go with Pete on this one...TA will not get a 5 year offer from anybody...he's either a QO guy or a 2-3 year deal...If another team offers him a deal the C's may match, but i'd be surprised if it exceeds his QO base annual...Tony's injury history and inconsistency/decline over 4 years puts him in a completely different market than Charlie Bell...
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,668

Post#40 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Apr 4, 2008 10:22 pm

Tony strikes me as the sort of guy who would NOT benefit from a change of scenery.

Given him a low-priced multi-year contract that still gives him strong financial security. Then continue to teach him about what kinds of things will make him successful and which are irrelevant or counterproductive.

His upside is Bruce Bowen, plus the quicks and hops to make the occasional straight-line drive and to be a good finisher, minus a bit of size.
FeedReed
Starter
And1: 839

yo 

Post#41 » by FeedReed » Sat Apr 5, 2008 12:08 am

Egregious Blunder wrote:dear mr. ainge,
if tony goes...i go.
-eB

i feel ya...i root for tony more then anyone on the team now. He's the realest player the c's got and he's all heart. i mean the celts are gonna win whether tony's on the team or not so why not keep him?
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,013

Post#42 » by Bad-Thoma » Sat Apr 5, 2008 6:59 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Not only that, does anyone else still shake their heads that Tony blew his knee out on an uncontested dunk as a goof AFTER THE PLAY WAS STOPPED!!!!??

Says it all right there about his BBIQ...

C'mon, that was a freak, freak accident. He was playing extremely well and you could tell he was ectatic about it after struggling back from his first knee surgery. You can't hold that **** against someone, he was just playing hard and having fun.
Pogue Mahone
Head Coach
And1: 738

Post#43 » by Pogue Mahone » Sat Apr 5, 2008 8:38 pm

Egregious Blunder wrote:also, people who demand he goes are only paying attention to one side of the court. his defense is still there, his offense will return with confidence.

also, this cat gave all he has to this team. hes been through tough times, his minutes have been cut drastically, but he doesnt sulk, he goes out and competes when called upon like a good soldier.

Sounds like you are talking about Brian Scalabrine and not Tony Allen to me.

Egregious Blunder wrote:but perk is a center who had one of the worst +/- and efficiency ratings of the team and of centers in the nba last year.

Please clarify
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,790

Post#44 » by meatball sub » Sat Apr 5, 2008 10:30 pm

Chris Douglas-Roberts is the guy to pick up at #30 if he somehow lasts that long. If we decide to part ways with Tony this offseason, CDR is a guy that could add a similar spark on both ends.
Falstaff
Starter
And1: 412

Re: Tony has to go this offseason 

Post#45 » by Falstaff » Sat Apr 5, 2008 11:01 pm

cfan79 wrote:He used to be my favorite player, but now he's a shell of the player he could have been because of injuries. It looks as if his body isn't doing what his mind wants it to do. We need to bring in a player to take his position on the team in the offseason.

Why exactly does he HAVE to go? I guess I can understand not particularly wanting to extend him, but what makes him such a problem that the C's should make sure he's gone?

Mark Blount had to go. HAD to. Some say Ricky Davis had to go. I don't see any problem with TA other than that he hasn't played great. But on the other hand, he hasn't been terrible either.

I think TA is going through a tough spot in his career. He used to be all about athleticism, and now he can't be that. He's adjusting to playing below the rim, but honestly I don't see any reason why he won't eventually make that transition. He's still an excellent defender and slasher, and his jumper was getting better until recently. It looks more like he's in a slump to me. I think he'll work his way out of it.
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#46 » by Kefa461 » Sun Apr 6, 2008 9:11 pm

How can one really form a really serious opinion until the dust settles. Playoffs are over, see who stays or goes, etc. The C's may have no one better, or may have better options. Right now they can afford to keep Tony with his knees and his sometimes boneheaded plays, with the contract he has. Next season things may be different. One has to wait and see. 8)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#47 » by grantlongforpresident » Sun Apr 6, 2008 11:56 pm

I'm in the find-a-better-alternative-then-tony-allen-camp. Allen is great one night, and garbage the next. He makes a great defensive play and then dribbles the ball off his foot. He has proven that, if given the opportunity, he will foul someone at the buzzer for no reason. Maybe you give him 2 years, $6 million but no more.

People act like he is a great player. More like a decent sub.

Give his $ to guys like Posey and Powe. They bring it every night.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#48 » by GreenGrizz » Mon Apr 7, 2008 11:06 am

I don't know if TA is that bad but he still looks a little crippled. He played like an all star two year after his first injury and before he blew his other knee. I guess he may need two more years on his other knee. It has been only one year so far.
Kids Are Alright
Veteran
And1: 137

Post#49 » by Kids Are Alright » Mon Apr 7, 2008 11:13 am

IMO, TA is like that mongrel that'll never be the dog you wanted but is loyal to the end. You can't get rid of him any easier than Big Al, and I'm still sorta feeling that.

He's developed a drive and dish that he'd have never thought of had he not blown out his good knee. He still gets steals or pass alterations every other trip down on a good night. He's learned to play a bit more like Ray Ray, driving a bit slower, sometimes with this head up.

I'd look to get a cheap 3 year deal on Tony to help anchor the 2nd unit.
Tanking :nonono: Live for the day 8-)
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#50 » by Red2 » Mon Apr 7, 2008 1:23 pm

I'm as down on tony as anyone BUT he did have a devastating knee injury and those things take time to get over. It may well be that next year his knee feels better and he plays better. If nothing else he's learned when to jam and when not to jam
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
armageddon
Rookie

Post#51 » by armageddon » Mon Apr 7, 2008 3:20 pm

Since they will be over the cap and releasing him doesn't free up enough money to make a difference, and as long as the FO still doesn't mind paying a small lux tax, then his option will be picked up for the one year. Highly doubt any other team will mess with him.

Could be traded after the option pickup. One more year will decide whether to hold long term or cut bait.

Return to Boston Celtics