ImageImageImage

Mavericks Offseason Trade/Free Agent/Draft Thread

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

your_dallas_mavericks
Starter
And1: 5

Mavericks Offseason Trade/Free Agent/Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:53 pm

Ideas for FA pickups, Sign-and-trades, and overall trades for our 2008-09 Mavs. Please use either Real GM approved trades or ESPN Trade Machine approved trades in here.

It's never too early to think about the future.
If we could just close games with Luka, Kyrie, Green, Maxi, and Wood that'd be great...
mavsfoty
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#2 » by mavsfoty » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:54 pm

This thread is very premature.
your_dallas_mavericks
Starter

Post#3 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:15 pm

I am not wishing any losses of games or series on the Mavs. There are 8 FAs on the Mavs going into this offseason. Kidd needs better running buddies. What can we do? It doesn't hurt to think about this now...
If we could just close games with Luka, Kyrie, Green, Maxi, and Wood that'd be great...
your_dallas_mavericks
Starter

Post#4 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:26 pm

Trade Josh Howard is the first thing I say to do. We don't need self-admitted stoners on the team... He's bound to end up arrested or in some trouble with the law. I'm sorry, but trade the kid while he still has some value. Get Marion I say!
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#5 » by SpeedyG » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:48 pm

Isn't Josh BYC? Or is that set to expire this off-season, thus making him easier to trade?
your_dallas_mavericks
Starter

Post#6 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:07 pm

Trade his "chronic" smokin' @$$ before his value plummets!
Rand10
Starter
And1: 39

Post#7 » by Rand10 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:19 am

I was going to wait until after the season to post these but what the heck... I'll probably put some on the trade board eventually to see what other fans think.

Trade 1: http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4567783
Dallas: Terry, Bass for Artest
Cleveland: Eric Snow (exp.), 19th pick for Terry
Sacramento: Artest for Eric Snow, Bass, 19th pick

Trade 2: Post-draft trade so Howard isn't BYC
Dallas: Howard, Stackhouse for Redd
Milwaukee: Redd for Howard, Stackhouse

Re-sign Lue, Allen
Sign Kwame Brown and Mickael Pietrus (S&T for one)

Kidd / Lue
Redd / Jones
Artest / Pietrus
Nowitzki / Allen
Dampier / Brown

I think all this happening would fix a lot of our problems. We've never had a lock-down defender, but would now have one in Artest. Redd would be a real 2nd option who won't completely disappear in the 2nd half. We also get rid of the soft jump shooters (Stack, Terry, Howard) and replace them with guys who aren't afraid to take it to the rim (Redd, Artest, Pietrus).

Kwame takes a lot of heat on Realgm, but it's kind of the same situation that Dampier is in. They both got big contracts and didn't live up to them. We all know that Dampier is a very solid player though, and Brown could be a good backup too.
mavsfoty
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#8 » by mavsfoty » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:21 am

Rand10 wrote:I was going to wait until after the season to post these but what the heck... I'll probably put some on the trade board eventually to see what other fans think.

Trade 1: http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4567783
Dallas: Terry, Bass for Artest
Cleveland: Eric Snow (exp.), 19th pick for Terry
Sacramento: Artest for Eric Snow, Bass, 19th pick

Trade 2: Post-draft trade so Howard isn't BYC
Dallas: Howard, Stackhouse for Redd
Milwaukee: Redd for Howard, Stackhouse

Re-sign Lue, Allen
Sign Kwame Brown and Mickael Pietrus (S&T for one)

Kidd / Lue
Redd / Jones
Artest / Pietrus
Nowitzki / Allen
Dampier / Brown

I think all this happening would fix a lot of our problems. We've never had a lock-down defender, but would now have one in Artest. Redd would be a real 2nd option who won't completely disappear in the 2nd half. We also get rid of the soft jump shooters (Stack, Terry, Howard) and replace them with guys who aren't afraid to take it to the rim (Redd, Artest, Pietrus).

Kwame takes a lot of heat on Realgm, but it's kind of the same situation that Dampier is in. They both got big contracts and didn't live up to them. We all know that Dampier is a very solid player though, and Brown could be a good backup too.

Not a completely crazy solution but that bench is horrible. I'm all for going after Redd though.
your_dallas_mavericks
Starter

Post#9 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:38 am

I think it's going to be an either Redd, Artest, or Marion that we end up getting. It would be nice if we could land more than one, but I don't know if that's possible.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#10 » by JES12 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:41 am

Jason Terry for Bobby Jackson and Luther Head.

Jackson can offer the same as Terry + we can use his expiring to get a person we really want.
your_dallas_mavericks
Starter

Post#11 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:44 am

That's a start, right there! But does Houston do it?
Rand10
Starter

Post#12 » by Rand10 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:56 am

mavsfoty wrote:Not a completely crazy solution but that bench is horrible. I'm all for going after Redd though.

Yeah, it's not a great bench, but we don't have a great one right now either. I think Pietrus could give us about what Stack can on better shooting % with better d. We would have a real backup center.

I like Bass as much as everyone else, but he'll never get a much bigger role than what he has now. With Dirk here the only way to get him more minutes is to go small, and that kills us on defense.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 851

Post#13 » by Teffer10 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:58 am

your_dallas_mavericks wrote:That's a start, right there! But does Houston do it?

I don't see Houston or anyone trading for Terry unless we are willing to take back some horrible contracts.
I'm afraid we are stuck with that guy and will continue to be dependent on his shooting.
That is one of the main reasons why we are in the position we are in now.
Rand10
Starter

Post#14 » by Rand10 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:00 am

JES12 wrote:Jason Terry for Bobby Jackson and Luther Head.

Jackson can offer the same as Terry + we can use his expiring to get a person we really want.

If by "can offer the same as Terry" you mean "can offer much, much less than Terry" I would agree.

A pure expiring isn't going to get us a player we really want.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Teffer10 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:08 am

your_dallas_mavericks wrote:I think it's going to be an either Redd, Artest, or Marion that we end up getting. It would be nice if we could land more than one, but I don't know if that's possible.

Redd should be our first choice and we should aggressively pursue him because he would have the most impact on changing this team.

He gives us a decent sized shooter that will keep Terry and Stack off the court (especially if one of them are included in the trade) and he is in his prime. Howard's position will also be easier to fill with a FA. Wright, Jones, and George can all play the SF as well.

I don't think the 2 trades suggested are far fetched. I could see Redd and Artest both here next season if the Mavs were aggressive and would find a way to part ways with Terry and Stack.
I'm not sure that I would want Brown as the backup center though. I'd rather sign Diop.
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#16 » by DDansby123 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:09 am

Teffer10 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
I don't see Houston or anyone trading for Terry unless we are willing to take back some horrible contracts.
I'm afraid we are stuck with that guy and will continue to be dependent on his shooting.
That is one of the main reasons why we are in the position we are in now.

Eh, having Terry on the team's not that bad. It's having him as our #2 or #3 offensive options offensively that's bad.

The key to this offseason, YET AGAIN, is finding a #2 offensive option behind Dirk who is consistent enough to truly fill that role, thereby pushing JET down to sharing #3 duties with Kidd. That I could live with.

The problem, though, YET AGAIN, is figuring out how exactly we land that #2 option with the crap we have to deal. We've pretty much got Howard and Bass to deal, which completely sucks. Either that, or you throw in Kidd's huge expiring contract with Howard, take back some bad contracts, and try to go that route. Either way, it's tough sledding.

Beyond that, I don't know exactly which quality #2 options will be available. I can't think of a single one off-hand.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 931

Post#17 » by Captain_Obvious » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:11 am

You guys make it seem like Terry has value. He has not, hes overpayed, declining and on a multi-year contract to make it worse.
An expiring and/or 1st rounder for Terry is absolutely unrealistic.

trade 1:
Bulls: Nocioni
Dallas: Stackhouse Jones [small filler]

trade 2:
Depends what we want, Vince or Redd, maybe S+T for a star opting out, maybe Josh shows something in the playoffs and ups his value
Out: Howard and Terry

Team:
Kidd Lue
Redd Wright
Nocioni George/Reyshawn Terry
Dirk Bass
Dampier Diop Obryant

Btw: Artest is too expensive, Toronto might offer TJ Ford for him. i dont see us throwing Josh in there for Artest and still being able to retrieve Redd.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Teffer10 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:15 am

[quote="DDansby123"][/quote]

I understand what you are saying and you are basically making my point.
If Terry and Stack are on this team and Avery is the coach, they will be considered part of the core on this team.

Maybe they are the best that Avery has to work with, but that doesn't say much for the talent level on this team if that is the case.

Stack and Terry have to go if Avery is still around imo.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Teffer10 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:26 am

Captain_Obvious wrote:You guys make it seem like Terry has value. He has not, hes overpayed, declining and on a multi-year contract to make it worse.

trade 1:
Bulls: Nocioni
Dallas: Stackhouse Jones [small filler]

trade 2:
Depends what we want, Vince or Redd, maybe S+T for a star opting out, maybe Josh shows something in the playoffs and ups his value
Out: Howard and Terry

Team:
Kidd Lue
Redd Wright
Nocioni George/Reyshawn Terry
Dirk Bass
Dampier Diop Obryant

Btw: Artest is too expensive, Toronto might offer TJ Ford for him. i dont see us throwing Josh in there for Artest and still being able to retrieve Redd.

VC should be easier to procure than Redd. I'm not sure that we would have to give up Howard to get VC because of his bad contract. If we could somehow get VC with Stack, George (S&T 1 year 6M deal), and maybe R. Terry (or Bass if that's what it takes), and then trade Howard and Terry for Marion, I would like our chances next season.

Kidd/Lue/Barea
VC/Jones
Marion/Wright
Dirk/Bass (or Allen if Bass is traded)
Damp/MLE (Brown ??? Diop???)

Probably wishful thinking and dreaming on my part.
Rand10
Starter

Post#20 » by Rand10 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:29 am

Captain_Obvious wrote:You guys make it seem like Terry has value. He has not, hes overpayed, declining and on a multi-year contract to make it worse.

Terry + our late 1st for Maggette nearly went through last offseason. The Clippers didn't do it because they still would've sucked had the trade gone through.

Terry does have value, he just needs to go to a contending team where taking on his contract would be worth it.

Return to Dallas Mavericks