ImageImage

OT: D'Antoni Out in Phoenix

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

OT: D'Antoni Out in Phoenix 

Post#1 » by europa » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:25 pm

Ridiculous in my opinion. I know the Suns haven't won a title like they hoped but the guy is a terrific head coach.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24385951/
Nothing will not break me.
RideEmCowboy24
Analyst
And1: 29

Post#2 » by RideEmCowboy24 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:27 pm

i'm pretty sure that franchise has no idea what the hell it's doing anymore
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#3 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:27 pm

Firing D'Antoni for not being able to beat the world champion Spurs with a Suns squad that changed their 3 year identity with the Shaq trade is unbelievable.

They almost did it too though. If Tim Duncan doesn't hit that three in Game 1, it would've been a totally different series and D'Antoni would probably still have a job.
europa
RealGM

Post#4 » by europa » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:31 pm

That's the thing - they had the worst possible matchup in the first round. I don't know if any team in the West is going to beat the Spurs so whoever drew them in the first round was in big trouble.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,244

Post#5 » by LUKE23 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:32 pm

Not a good move by the Suns. The Suns have run into the Spurs essentially every year, and maybe Nash needs to take a little heat for getting absolutely abused game in and game out by Tony Parker.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,142

Post#6 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:34 pm

I'd assume that maybe Kerr or the ownership want a different change....move away from the high flying stuff. Who knows.

It does bail out BC in Toronto though.
europa
RealGM

Post#7 » by europa » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:35 pm

Nash completely melted down in crunch time last night. It was shocking to see him make so many critical mistakes with the game on the line. He's always been a PG who will turn the ball over a lot; that's just part of his game. But the mistakes last night were inexcusable for a player of his caliber.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,615

Post#8 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:35 pm

I agree it's an overreaction but I'm also not sure that he's all that great of a coach. He had a boatload of talent. Time will tell.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,047

Post#9 » by midranger » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:36 pm

Wow. Steve Kerr with the scapegoating.

Listen Kerr, you made a **** trade that moved your best defender and most productive player for an old guy who is bolted to the ground. Your bad, not D'Antoni's.

Oh well, hopefully he gives us a look as lead assistant to be yin to Skiles's yang.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
europa
RealGM

Post#10 » by europa » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:40 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:I'd assume that maybe Kerr or the ownership want a different change....move away from the high flying stuff. Who knows.

It does bail out BC in Toronto though.

The Raptors would seem to make a lot of sense. I think he'd be a better fit there than Chicago. I think he should stay far away from the Knicks. That could take years to fix that mess.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#11 » by smauss » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:41 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Firing D'Antoni for not being able to beat the world champion Spurs with a Suns squad that changed their 3 year identity with the Shaq trade is unbelievable.

They almost did it too though. If Tim Duncan doesn't hit that three in Game 1, it would've been a totally different series and D'Antoni would probably still have a job.

:nod:

I didn't like the trade for them, especially the timing....
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#12 » by showtimesam » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:44 pm

On first and ten they were saying how D'Antoni pushed for the Shaq trade more so than Kerr.

They were also saying that D'Antoni is the guy that wants to leave and the Suns want to keep him around for next season.
europa
RealGM

Post#13 » by europa » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:46 pm

If true, that obviously changes things quite a bit. If he's bolting for New York, though, I seriously question his decision making.
Hollywood24
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#14 » by Hollywood24 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:52 pm

The Shaq trade was awful but rumor had it that Marion and the rest of the team simply couldnt go on, namely him and nash, I agree that the timing of the Shaq trade was really bad and I would have liked to see Phoenix have another shot at the Spurs with their old squad intact. Having said that, if Kerr and the brass are dumb enough to let D'Antoni go then they almost have to think about changing their style over. Shaq is just so old, fat and awful, hope the Suns enjoy paying off the rest of that contract! Marion meanwhile if he stays in Miami could be in a great place if Wade gets healthy, they make a free agent move or two, and secure a top 3 draft pick. Then we get to watch Pat Riley tell his head coach that he needs to spend more time with his family as Riles slips back into the captains seat for another run at a title. However back to point, if D'Antoni really did push that hard for Shaq he should have to shoulder some of the blame, but to get rid of him is in the immortal words of Tim Duncan "just (Please Use More Appropriate Word)." Im sure Mike D would slide in nicely at Chicago though.
"Who are you?"
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,615

Post#15 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:10 pm

I agree that the Knicks make little sense for him except that he does love the limelight. In that regard it would be perfect for him.

This is an interesting year for coaching changes. Chicago, New York and Phoenix are open. Toronto and Dallas could open up at any time. Woodson may have saved himself with the Hawks good showing against Boston.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#16 » by WEFFPIM » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:14 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I agree it's an overreaction but I'm also not sure that he's all that great of a coach. He had a boatload of talent. Time will tell.

He also drove them to a ridiculous amount of success in his time there and change the way pro teams looked at the run-and-gun offense.

Bad move.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,245

Post#17 » by Sigra » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:15 pm

Great move by Suns IMO.

D'Antoni = Terry Stotts only D'Antony had great combination of players for that style of basketball. When they traded Marion for Shaq they lost run and gun element of their roster and run and gun is only basketball that coach as limited as D'Antoni (or Stotts) can run.

The next move should be trading Nash if they are smart enough.
75totheMACCfund
Veteran
And1: 47

Post#18 » by 75totheMACCfund » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:21 pm

RideEmCowboy24 wrote:i'm pretty sure that Steve Kerr has no idea what the hell he's doing ever

fixed.
europa
RealGM

Post#19 » by europa » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:22 pm

WEFFPIM wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He also drove them to a ridiculous amount of success in his time there and change the way pro teams looked at the run-and-gun offense.

I agree. He and Colangelo completely transformed the Suns into an elite team. I think he's a terrific head coach.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#20 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Wasnt it because he refused to play more guys in his rotation? I mean granted, you dont want to run all your end of the bench garbage out there, but you need to go more than 7 deep to have a chance. (This also really bit them in the ass with Grant Hill. Sure he managed to stay healthy nearly all year miraculously, but in the end he inevitably got injured again from wear and tear).

Return to Milwaukee Bucks