ImageImageImage

I miss this Paul Pierce.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

I miss this Paul Pierce. 

Post#1 » by mr_sunshine » Sat May 10, 2008 11:05 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMoUXZxV ... re=related

I know it's a Toine and Pierce highlight vid, but I miss this Pierce. The guy who was super aggressive and always played like he was the best guy on the court no matter what. The guy who wanted it in his hands at the end of the guy. The guy who would take it hard to the hole and throw it down someone's throat.

Where is this Pierce at? I know he's focusing more on the defensive end now, but I really think to win the championship at some point or another Pierce will have to take over a game like he used. He'll have to get his swagger going and take it hard to the hole instead of just settling for 3s. Honestly, how many dunks did Paul have this year? I can recall about one time where he threw down hard. I hope he kicks it up a notch soon, because I miss this Pierce. He was my favorite player to watch, but now he's not nearly as exciting and explosive in my opinion.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#2 » by Dogen » Sat May 10, 2008 12:19 pm

You miss Pierce watching the clock wind all the way down and then jacking up shots? You miss OB 3-ball? You miss missing the playoffs?

Well, I have to say I partially agree with you because I did enjoy the drama of seeing Pierce take over at the end of a game. However, if those were the days, these are THE DAYS. Much better to have a happy Pierce integrated with players who can compliment him and allow him to not be the man on offense every time, focus more on defense, etc. There's really no comparison--- I take the current situation hands down, as I'm sure you would.

Pierce has said that he wants to adopt Ray's offseason training program, and I agree that he needs to keep pushing himself to stay in the best shape he can. He's matured as a person, but he looks a bit slower and heavier to me. Pierce is getting older, so he'll need to work even harder and take care of himself to keep his quickness and hops.

Bottom line: Very happy about the way things are, but would like to see Paul's 2008 head in his 2004 body.
Hey you! Can we come together?
Scalamental
Sixth Man
And1: 146

Post#3 » by Scalamental » Sat May 10, 2008 12:54 pm

I was really happy how Paul played game 2 against cavs. He really took it Bron, played with moxy, what he wasn't doing in game 1. He's still got it.
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#4 » by mr_sunshine » Sat May 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Dogen wrote:You miss Pierce watching the clock wind all the way down and then jacking up shots? You miss OB 3-ball? You miss missing the playoffs?

Well, I have to say I partially agree with you because I did enjoy the drama of seeing Pierce take over at the end of a game. However, if those were the days, these are THE DAYS. Much better to have a happy Pierce integrated with players who can compliment him and allow him to not be the man on offense every time, focus more on defense, etc. There's really no comparison--- I take the current situation hands down, as I'm sure you would.

Pierce has said that he wants to adopt Ray's offseason training program, and I agree that he needs to keep pushing himself to stay in the best shape he can. He's matured as a person, but he looks a bit slower and heavier to me. Pierce is getting older, so he'll need to work even harder and take care of himself to keep his quickness and hops.

Bottom line: Very happy about the way things are, but would like to see Paul's 2008 head in his 2004 body.

You hit on exactly what I meant. I obviously don't want those days back, I'm just saying I want that swagger and ability to take over a game back. If he's serious about his conditioning this off-season we might get the best of both worlds like you said. :lol:
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#5 » by Dogen » Sat May 10, 2008 1:19 pm

mr_sunshine wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You hit on exactly what I meant. I obviously don't want those days back, I'm just saying I want that swagger and ability to take over a game back. If he's serious about his conditioning this off-season we might get the best of both worlds like you said. :lol:

Yes, in one way--physically-- it's diminishing returns because the body gets older, injuries add up over the years, etc. But the 'big three' are still actually young men and are arriving at a point where they are more concerned about the biggest prize while the window is still open.

I've noticed that there are a number of star players who have hit 30, 31 and sort of took a dip in overall ability. I think this is somewhat natural because our metabolism is changing, slowing down at that age. It's no longer possible to just eat, drink what you want and expect it all to be converted to energy. Pierce is right at that point where he's going to have to decide on the right regiment for his own body and stick to it.

Charles Barkely is a good example. He really slowed down at 31, 32 years of age and started to gain his early weight back. But he was in much better shape-- and a better player at 33-34, which I think is the year they went to the finals. Of course, he did let it all go soon after that!
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#6 » by jfs1000d » Sat May 10, 2008 1:52 pm

That video makes me sad. What Toine could have been if he stayed in shape (maybe not possible) and if he kept up a slasher and not a 3-point chucker.

Toine had unusual talent.

Paul is just not as quick, not as explosive, but a better player right now.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#7 » by GuyClinch » Sat May 10, 2008 2:06 pm

Players slow with age. I don't really think metabolism has anything to do with it though. Your "metabolism" is simply a measure of muscle mass and activity. <g>

I'd put the blame on diminishing male hormones and age related injuries..

Pete
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,743

Post#8 » by meatball sub » Sat May 10, 2008 2:27 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing PP "Al Harrington" somebody once in a while. That 's one of my favorite moments as a C's fan up until this year.

Other than that the only thing I missed from that video was the black shoes and socks at home.
Cep
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Cep » Sat May 10, 2008 2:35 pm

Pierce is great still, but he's fat. Idk why but I feel like the extra weight is being a huge factor to why he doesn't attack that much anymore. You can tell that he's muscular, but he's got a lot of fat on top of that. I just miss that aggressive Paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw828FvNijY
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,366

Post#10 » by tlee324 » Sat May 10, 2008 3:46 pm

GuyClinch wrote:Players slow with age. I don't really think metabolism has anything to do with it though. Your "metabolism" is simply a measure of muscle mass and activity. <g>

I'd put the blame on diminishing male hormones and age related injuries..

Pete

Don't diminishing male hormones decrease your ability to build more muscle mass?
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#11 » by grantlongforpresident » Sat May 10, 2008 4:21 pm

that is like saying i miss Grant Hill.

As guys get older they lose some of their athleticism, and eventually retire. i'm sure you all know that.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#12 » by ermocrate » Sat May 10, 2008 4:27 pm

Kobe is only 10 months younger than PP, don't tell me he is slow, PP ha to keep his shape back! Rip has only 4 months less than him.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
Who-rod
Starter
And1: 254

Post#13 » by Who-rod » Sat May 10, 2008 4:42 pm

I agree, Paul Pierce needs to lose some weight. Yes, PP is not overweight, by normal human standards, he is in phenomenal shape. However, for an NBA 2/3 his bodyfat percentage is too high, and detracts from his athletecism.

The most exciting thing to come out of PP's mouth for me all year, was when he said he was going to adopt Ray's off seasons training program and "come back looking like Ray." If he dedicated to Ray's program, next year's PP would be much better, and he'd have a longer career.
Joselo16
Veteran
And1: 16

Post#14 » by Joselo16 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:48 pm

A couple of seasons ago he came into camp in great shape

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/558605 ... 72FFCBAEC3

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/558603 ... 72FFCBAEC3

which is the season he had like 4 40 plus games in February, don't know if his conditioning and these outburst of greatness were related.
You have just been Perk'd!!!
P2
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#15 » by P2 » Sat May 10, 2008 7:07 pm

I miss the Championship.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#16 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Sat May 10, 2008 11:27 pm

Pierce isn't fat and he's just as good driving to the hoop as he's ever been. Now he has two other scorers on the court with him -- plus he's playing D harder than ever before.

I don't miss the days where the best we could do was maybe get to the Eastern Conference Finals but knowing there was no way we'd win a title.

I agree with what someone said about Toine. A real shame. He was so talented. I think he played a few games at PG when he was a rookie or 2nd year player -- that's how versatile he was. He fell in love with the 3-pointer (of course, only because there ain't any 4's) and unlike Pierce, he did get fat in a way that negatively affected his play.
cavsfan_osiris
Starter
And1: 4

Post#17 » by cavsfan_osiris » Sun May 11, 2008 12:50 am

PP is overweight, he's not a slob or anything, but his body is not in peak condition.
GonzoLays
Assistant Coach
And1: 185
Location: The strongest man is he who stands alone in the face of oppression and censorship.

Post#18 » by GonzoLays » Sun May 11, 2008 1:33 am

THE GREAT GONZOLAYS!!

What have I been telling you fellas from the get? I've been screaming it all year long and FINALLY you guys are seeing it. Its looks like Pierce is running through mud to get to the hole.

PIERCE CAN'T EVEN SHAKE WALLY Z TO GET THE HOLE. WALLY Z IS ALL UP IN HIS GRILL AND HE CAN EVEN BLOW BY HIM WITHOUT A PICK.

Pierce is **** fat and it is all his fault. How dare he come into the THIS SEASON ****? That's moronic.

We need the old Pierce during games like this. The Pierce that could create his own shot and get to the line 10 times a game.

Pierce's DRAMATIC drop-off is going to bite us in the ass all playoffs long.
PPAW4Life
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#19 » by PPAW4Life » Sun May 11, 2008 3:06 am

Ya this type of Paul Pierce can win a title for you, if your team can play very good defense.

We saw the Heat win with Wade going nuts in the Finals.

I'm not so sure how we can win a title with this "spread the offense" philosophy.
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,366

Post#20 » by tlee324 » Sun May 11, 2008 5:48 am

Pierce proves he can score as well as he always has, when they give him the ball. The spread-the-ball offense usually doesn't let one player dominate the ball. It's been working so far, it just didn't tonight.

Return to Boston Celtics