ImageImageImage

ESPN: Kevin Garnott?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#13 » by Bleeding Green » Tue May 13, 2008 8:42 pm

Seriously, are people watching this stuff? Garnett has been fantastic during the entirety of the playoffs. The only guy on the Celtics who has actually stepped up his game during the playoffs. If not for Garnett, the Celtics would be at home playing golf right now.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
pballa
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#14 » by pballa » Tue May 13, 2008 8:50 pm

varejao sucks
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,743

Re: ESPN: Kevin Garnott? 

Post#15 » by meatball sub » Tue May 13, 2008 10:33 pm

Cep wrote:That's what they're calling him on ESPN, lol. What sucks is that their arguments are pretty much true. He was up there for regular season MVP, but like he did in Minny, in the playoffs and with pressure, he does not look for the ball, fades away from any contact, does not attack the basket, and settles for outside shots when he chooses to take the ball. Man, don't get me wrong, I loved the acquisition and I think he's been great for us, but we need him to be more of a presence. Sometimes his "intensity" and rah rah seems fake, cause he talks a lot and when it comes down to play, he is soft when it matters. I know it's not his sole fault we're struggling in the road and all, but he has to live up to his name. Now ESPN calls him Garnott, and spend 5 minutes bashing him and saying he'll pretty much not win a title because he is overrated. And it hurt to agree with 90% of what was said.

That's what she said.
Beryl 96
Starter

Post#16 » by Beryl 96 » Tue May 13, 2008 10:35 pm

Bulls fan here(rooting for Celts to win it all) and I saw them bashing KG, and I thought it was stupid of them seeing as how KG has been the only guy playing anywhere near all-star level this series.

There is however some truth to it, there have been times during this series and during the hawks series where things aren't going well and KG isn't getting the ball, and when he is, he isn't really doing much.

I think the key to getting your team going is Ray Allen, Ray Allen needs to start making his shots, if he does that it should relieve some pressure off of Pierce and allow him to break out of his slump somewhat, reason I don't think it needs to begin with Pierce is because Pierce is being guarded by LeBron, so Allen needs to go off and create some space.

Anyways, Goodluck, Finals: Celts over Lakers in 7.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Re: ESPN: Kevin Garnott? 

Post#17 » by greenbeans » Tue May 13, 2008 10:35 pm

bove310 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's what she said.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: so funny yet so true
sdeezy
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#18 » by sdeezy » Tue May 13, 2008 10:56 pm

The fact that KG has been the only consistent guy out of the big 3 is the reason he is being hammered. When you're the one guy who's got it going and the one that can get whatever he wants on the court, you need to demand the ball in crunch time. This was a 3 point game with 5 minutes to go, screw ubuntu, somebody needs to grab the game by the balls. LeBron does it, Duncan(prior to Parker and Manu's emergence) did it, all the great ones do. When you're considered a top 5 PF of all time, you should carry your team when it matters. Ray is out of it, Pierce has got his hands full, KG needed to step up, its that simple. Get down on the block and let most of the offensive possessions go through you.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#19 » by TheOUTLAW » Tue May 13, 2008 11:18 pm

ermocrate wrote:I'm wandering if there was all this LeBron bashing in Cleveland when he chucked in the first two games of the series.... :roll:

You don't really get that with LeBron because the Cavs absolutely have to have LeBrons points in order to even be competitive. Even if he's not scoring the team is way better if he in on the floor (both offensively and defensively). That's why it hurt so much yesterday when he picked up that 3rd foul.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#20 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Tue May 13, 2008 11:24 pm

Kevin Garnott? Oh, you mean the guy who WON GAME 1 for us with his CLUTCH PERFORMANCE in the FOURTH QUARTER.

If you want someone to rag on, try Ray Allen who's been a complete no show the entire playoffs. If we didn't have him on the team bricking shots and playing terrible defence, I guarentee we would have won a few road games. Or blame Paul Pierce wasting posessions jacking up bad threes. Or blame Sam Cassel's awful road play, or Doc's dumb subbing patterns (Big Baby? Are you freaking serious?). Don't blame Garnett, who has shown up for every game and played well.
Joebiscuit
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#21 » by Joebiscuit » Wed May 14, 2008 12:46 am

Naturally KG is going to be bashed by the media for what is going on here. Garnett is the only one playing well. While PP is playing well on the defensive end he is not on the offensive end. Allen has had his moments but overall has more bad than good moments.

The issue here is that when push comes to shove in crunch time the Celtics look completely lost on offense. They take bad shot after bad shot and every player plays iso basketball. You cannot score 12 points on the road in the 4th and expect to win.

These road losses have been a combination of questionable coaching, bad shots, poor defense and overall meltdowns. There is really no person to blame because the whole team is doing it too themselves.

The thing is the way this team is playing now is the way we expected them to play the first few months of the season. Now our battle testes vets cannot handle the pressure of an away crowd in the play-offs which no one can understand.
s1ickd
Veteran
And1: 247

Post#22 » by s1ickd » Wed May 14, 2008 1:50 am

does Tim Duncan demand the ball and take over during the playoffs? not at al. he plays within the system and gets his points. 20 and 10. why does everyone expect garnett to play like kobe?

the man who needs to initiate the offense is paul pierce. they are always forced to double team him.... and thus, ball movement would be much easier. if you havent noticed, they dont really double kg.
Cep
Assistant Coach

Post#23 » by Cep » Wed May 14, 2008 1:52 am

Meanwhile, ESPN and TNT kisses LeBron's hairy ass.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#24 » by ermocrate » Wed May 14, 2008 11:46 am

TheOUTLAW wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You don't really get that with LeBron because the Cavs absolutely have to have LeBrons points in order to even be competitive. Even if he's not scoring the team is way better if he in on the floor (both offensively and defensively). That's why it hurt so much yesterday when he picked up that 3rd foul.
SO you think there's a reason why C's fans should bash KG?
"Negativity in this town sucks"
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#25 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed May 14, 2008 1:03 pm

Cep wrote:Meanwhile, ESPN and TNT kisses LeBron's hairy ass.

Of course. The NBA made it perfectly clear 4 years ago who they were throwing their lot in with when LBJ was drafted...
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,344

Post#26 » by Red2 » Wed May 14, 2008 1:59 pm

when you lose on the road the way we have, everyone is a target. I agree that KG has been our best player in the post season. I also agree that he came up small in the 2nd half on Monday, especially in the 4th. Given his history of not being abel to advance in the playoffs it's inevitable that this type of criticism is going to surface. Garnett, Pierce and ALlen have an incredible opportunity in front of the: to get the monkey off thier backs once and for all and show that they ARE capable of winning a championship. They won 66 games in the regular season. How come they can't win tonight and then in game 6. If we win the next 2 then we take Cleveland out in 6 and they went to the finals last year. where will all the doubters and nay sayers be then. I'mprepared to go as negative as the next guy if we don't acheive our goal but we're 2 games away from the eastern finals so let's go celts
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
NDaATL
Lead Assistant
And1: 520

Post#27 » by NDaATL » Wed May 14, 2008 5:29 pm

I can't believe anyone is bashing KG for the Celtics road woes. He is definitely not the problem.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#28 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed May 14, 2008 7:50 pm

NDaATL wrote:I can't believe anyone is bashing KG for the Celtics road woes. He is definitely not the problem.

Exactly. If it wasn't for him, the road losses would look a LOT worse...
It's still 17 to 11!!!!

Return to Boston Celtics