ImageImageImage

OT: Unintentionally hilarious WNBA ads airing during playoff

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Texas Longhorns
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#13 » by Texas Longhorns » Wed May 14, 2008 7:19 pm

WNBA is using reverse psycology but it's not working.
- Vince Young - Kevin Durant - LaMarcus Aldrige - T.J. Ford - D.J. Augustin
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#14 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed May 14, 2008 7:57 pm

Texas Longhorns wrote:WNBA is using reverse psycology but it's not working.

:rofl:

And they're surviving solely off the NBA's dime. Basically anyone that shells out any money for anything NBA related (that's all of us here) is paying to support something we have no interest in (WNBA)
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
ARB729
Lead Assistant
And1: 17

Post#15 » by ARB729 » Wed May 14, 2008 8:27 pm

The WNBA: Where "Well, I'm sure she has a great personality" Happens.
formerly RedSoxFan729
kingjaffyjoe
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#16 » by kingjaffyjoe » Wed May 14, 2008 8:51 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You know what, I can totally understand that. I myself have two young daughters who are starting to be interested in sports, which I will foster.

My beef with the WNBA is first of all, it has tanked every year since it has been around yet the NBA keeps pumping money into it. Second, they CRAM IT DOWN OUR THROATS all the time when the vast majority of men and straight women have shown no interest for TEN YEARS! And third, they seem to market heavily to the gay and lesbian communities, and while that's fine and it's a free country, I personally say NO THANKS to that (for me AND my kids).

And finally, they can say whatever they want, but the quality of play is nowhere near as good as the NBA.

I feel bad for your daughters
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#17 » by Rocky5000 » Thu May 15, 2008 1:43 am

I only watch 2 women's sports, tennis and beach volleyball.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#18 » by meatball sub » Thu May 15, 2008 1:49 am

Take the 5 bucks and buy a swisher and a nickel sack or waste two hours of my life?

**** the WNBA.
dinoz
Junior
And1: 3

Post#19 » by dinoz » Thu May 15, 2008 4:07 am

I love the WNBA. And believe me, the Celtics point guards the past few years could have learned a lot by watching Lindsey Whalen of the Sun.
dclock
Freshman

Post#20 » by dclock » Thu May 15, 2008 6:58 am

Contact sports and women just don't mix. Well, women's MMA is somewhat entertaining actually... but other than that, I think it's in our biology to not really care about women competing in the more 'primal' sports. No one wants to watch what is supposed to be beautiful be all aggressive and mannish. There's a reason us men have more aggressive sports, and it's deep in how we evolved. We're not spiders, women just are weaker, have less killer instinct when it comes to physical competition, and should not be involved ever in anything like Hockey, Football, or Basketball... at least for my entertainment pleasure that is. I'd be too focused on the hotter ones hoping a breast would pop out or something... I'm not looking at the men's junk, that's for sure! :)

Come on women, let us men keep our manly things and you guys can keep your bras, waxing, periods, absurd diets, emotionally fueled illogical arguments, and complex social manipulation!
ramshackle75
Pro Prospect

Post#21 » by ramshackle75 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:45 am

2 ways to fix the WNBA so your average meathead would watch.

1. Lower the rim. There are always exceptions, but women tend to be pretty agile. Look at some of the things figure skaters pull off in the middle of a jump. Now if the rim was at a height where your average WNBA-er could do some kind of triple-spin-splits thing in mid-air, then throw it down ... Yeah, this meathead might watch that.

And if that fails:

2. Skimpy clothing. Sexist, sure, but most guys don't tend to watch women's sports for their athletic abilities. Sorry ladies.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#22 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu May 15, 2008 1:06 pm

kingjaffyjoe wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I feel bad for your daughters

Don't, they're wonderful little girls who get tons of love and attention and will be able to become anything they want when they grow up. But they won't be lied to that the quality of play in the WNBA is the same as the NBA. And if they have no interest in it, I won't force them to pay for it and watch it the way the NBA does to us now.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#23 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu May 15, 2008 1:13 pm

The WNBA sucks.

And I am not being sexist because, I will watch a NCAA womens game if it is the only thing on. And I will enjoy it. I really did like watching Diana Taurasi, and Candace Parker playing.

Womens NCAA basketball is so SOO much better then the WNBA.

NCAA Coaches >>>>WNBA
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#24 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu May 15, 2008 1:18 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:The WNBA sucks.

And I am not being sexist because, I will watch a NCAA womens game if it is the only thing on. And I will enjoy it. I really did like watching Diana Taurasi, and Candace Parker playing.

Womens NCAA basketball is so SOO much better then the WNBA.

NCAA Coaches >>>>WNBA

Agreed. While I certainly don't go out of my way to watch women's hoops, there is some good stuff going on in the NCAA's.

However it gets boring watching people take layups and, sorry to say it, shoot like girls (line-drive shots pushed out from the chest).

I don't begrudge them...they are good players and deserve to have the chance to play.

But enough with trying to convince us all that it's as good or better than the NBA. And enough with the NBA financing the league that hasn't turned a profit in its entire 10 yr history. That's called capitalism...you put out a product, no one likes it, you don't make money, you close shop and go home. Instead the NBA forks over money people pay for all things NBA to the WNBA, which I guarantee most NBA-paying folks don't WANT to support with their money
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 291

Post#25 » by eitanr » Thu May 15, 2008 1:27 pm

It simply comes down to the quality of play. The teams are not constructed properly, they do not run normal sound basketball. No avid basketball fanatic or even fundamentalist would enjoy such a show.
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#26 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu May 15, 2008 1:32 pm

^^QFT

end of discussion
It's still 17 to 11!!!!

Return to Boston Celtics