ImageImageImage

Simmons is at it again

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,880

Post#25 » by UGA Hayes » Fri May 30, 2008 9:18 pm

Sounds to me like he is just kissing up to people in the LA market.
GonzoLays
Assistant Coach
And1: 185
Location: The strongest man is he who stands alone in the face of oppression and censorship.

Post#26 » by GonzoLays » Fri May 30, 2008 9:42 pm

GWVan wrote: He thinks he cursed the Patriots - he's trying to do a reverse jinx on the Celtics

CeltsfaninDC wrote:This is whats actually going on.

No its not because Simmons wrote:

Now here's where you shake your head and say, "You're just trying to do another reverse jinx like that column about how Kevin Garnett isn't clutch." Fair point. That column was written for two reasons -- because I thought it was an interesting debate (is clutchness in our DNA, or do we acquire it through repetition?), and because I was aiming for a reverse jinx that partially absolved me for blowing an undefeated Patriots season four months ago. This is different. The Lakers clearly have a better team.

I know you guys love simmons, but come on, take him for the clown that he is.
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#27 » by CeltsfaninDC » Fri May 30, 2008 9:52 pm

^^ If you were doing a reverse jinx would you admit it?
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#28 » by GuyClinch » Fri May 30, 2008 9:54 pm

I've said it before - I honestly feel that Simmons isn't a Celtics fan anymore. What happens is this - your EGO overrides your love for your team.

As a columnist he makes predictions and talks like he knows this or that about basketball. So having been anti Doc Rivers he is unable to swallow his pride and admit that he is wrong. So he secretly roots for the failure of the C's (at least this administration) all the while to remain credible he pretends to root for the C's. No one wants to be known as a sellout.

It's an easy thing to do - especially if your a columnist. This is why most Sports Columnists aren't really fans at all. They are fans of the STORY. This way you don't get caught divided like Simmons is.

What simmons needs to do is come clean - swallow his ego and admit how dumb he was. Then he can start rooting for the C's again. It's the right thing to do.

I was wrong about Danny and Doc. So was Simmons but he is too much of an egomaniac to admit it. Of course the problem with journalists in general is it's the only field where you get to pontificate on how to fix this or that despite have ZERO real experience in whatever field your usually talking about helping.

I find the same fault with the guys at Time magazine. Well those guys can fix ANYTHING - wars, GM, Global Warming they have a plan for EVERYTHING. Of course they actually know almost nothing about what they are talking about - and couldn't do jack in the real world but that doesnt' stop them from BSing about it..but I digress...

Anyway I am sure his fans will keep on with the "reverse Jinx" bit but honestly do you need to bash teams over and over again to preserve any 'reverse jinx?" I am just not buying it.

I can relate to Simmons divided feelings. I didn't really want to see last years team rock because I felt those players would trap us in mediocrity. I continue to feel PP injury was a break for the Cs as it exposed how bad our youthful core really was.

Pete
JCizzle
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#29 » by JCizzle » Fri May 30, 2008 9:58 pm

GWVan wrote:He thinks he cursed the Patriots - he's trying to do a reverse jinx on the Celtics

Yeap, totally agreed. The guy has a massive man love for the Celts, remember that.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#30 » by kmgarnett21 » Fri May 30, 2008 9:58 pm

its easy to write a column on this on may 30, a few days before the finals. why didnt he write this column before the playoffs started?

what an idiot
JCizzle
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#31 » by JCizzle » Fri May 30, 2008 9:58 pm

kmgarnett21 wrote:its easy to write a column on this on may 30, a few days before the finals. why didnt he write this column before the playoffs started?

what an idiot

I think he did write the Lakers would win it all way back when.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#32 » by kmgarnett21 » Fri May 30, 2008 9:59 pm

& what does he mean when he said "giving Boston fans plenty of time to get tense about things like "I wonder if KG will show up tonight?" "

what game has kg NOT showed up durin the playoffs? (other than blowout games when he only played 20 or so minutes)

this guy is a joke.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#33 » by meatball sub » Fri May 30, 2008 10:06 pm

This guy proves himself to be more and more pathetic with each article he writes regarding the Celtics. He's just pissed that Doc is still head coach and has made him look like the douchebag that he is all season long. BSG has his own agenda and it's obvious he just has something against Doc. If you're a fan of the Celtics you don't write an article about how much better the Lakers are when they clearly are not.

Rondo >>> Fisher
Ray <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Kobe
Pierce >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vlad Rad
KG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Odom
Perk <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Gasol

The benches are about even and obviously Jackson is a way better coach than Rivers but I have news or you Bill Simmons, the coaches don't play! Ass clown attention whore writers FTL.
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#34 » by Athanacropolis » Fri May 30, 2008 10:12 pm

GuyClinch wrote:I've said it before - I honestly feel that Simmons isn't a Celtics fan anymore. What happens is this - your EGO overrides your love for your team.

As a columnist he makes predictions and talks like he knows this or that about basketball. So having been anti Doc Rivers he is unable to swallow his pride and admit that he is wrong. So he secretly roots for the failure of the C's (at least this administration) all the while to remain credible he pretends to root for the C's. No one wants to be known as a sellout.

It's an easy thing to do - especially if your a columnist. This is why most Sports Columnists aren't really fans at all. They are fans of the STORY. This way you don't get caught divided like Simmons is.

What simmons needs to do is come clean - swallow his ego and admit how dumb he was. Then he can start rooting for the C's again. It's the right thing to do.

I was wrong about Danny and Doc. So was Simmons but he is too much of an egomaniac to admit it. Of course the problem with journalists in general is it's the only field where you get to pontificate on how to fix this or that despite have ZERO real experience in whatever field your usually talking about helping.

I find the same fault with the guys at Time magazine. Well those guys can fix ANYTHING - wars, GM, Global Warming they have a plan for EVERYTHING. Of course they actually know almost nothing about what they are talking about - and couldn't do jack in the real world but that doesnt' stop them from BSing about it..but I digress...

Anyway I am sure his fans will keep on with the "reverse Jinx" bit but honestly do you need to bash teams over and over again to preserve any 'reverse jinx?" I am just not buying it.

I can relate to Simmons divided feelings. I didn't really want to see last years team rock because I felt those players would trap us in mediocrity. I continue to feel PP injury was a break for the Cs as it exposed how bad our youthful core really was.

Pete

And the post of the night goes to...

...Pete! :clap: :clap: :clap:
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#35 » by 15th overall » Fri May 30, 2008 10:28 pm

Amongst all the "LA sucks" babbling on the board recently the one thing that really does suck about LA is what it did to Bill Simmons. Didn't even take him 6 months to go Hollywood on us, guy's got a disgustingly large ego.

I used to check his site on the daily, now I avoid him at all costs. He doesn't even have The Shaughnessy Effect where I wanna read him just to see how much farther he falls off the deepend from article to article. He just sucks.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,486

Post#36 » by canman1971 » Fri May 30, 2008 10:37 pm

Good for Bill. I watch the games instead and let that tell me who is going to win.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#37 » by greenbeans » Fri May 30, 2008 10:55 pm

well, this is the first column in 2-3 years im not even going to read. consider me a convert, haters!!
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,486

Post#38 » by canman1971 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:02 pm

15th overall wrote:Amongst all the "LA sucks" babbling on the board recently the one thing that really does suck about LA is what it did to Bill Simmons. Didn't even take him 6 months to go Hollywood on us, guy's got a disgustingly large ego.

I used to check his site on the daily, now I avoid him at all costs. He doesn't even have The Shaughnessy Effect where I wanna read him just to see how much farther he falls off the deepend from article to article. He just sucks.

As with what Pete said, well put. Maybe we can just ban all Simmons' crap on this board. Can I get a second?
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,067

Post#39 » by Ed Pinkney » Fri May 30, 2008 11:06 pm

It is hard to argue with a majority of his points. Not being at Game 5 of both series, I can't comment on the crowds but I can't argue with a lot of his points from a basketball stand point.

Doc killed the bench by stuffing the previously simple and effective rotation.

The team has been incredibly inconsistent and frustrating, starting from game 3 of the Atlanta series.

Our ball handling is shakey.

Apart from Game 7 of the Cleveland series, have we had a reliable go to scorer?

The Lakers have looked dominant throughout the playoffs and have looked the better and deeper team.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#40 » by meatball sub » Fri May 30, 2008 11:06 pm

I second that motion, canman. I'm not a mod though.

I hereby declare Bill Simmons officially dead to Celtic Nation.
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#41 » by 15th overall » Fri May 30, 2008 11:37 pm

I third that!

I'm sure some people like being updated on BS's new articles but seeing a new topic everytime this jerk runs some ink on the team gets on my nerves.

He reports nothing, may as well just post links to threads on CelticBlog cause that's who he's on par with.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,880

Post#42 » by UGA Hayes » Fri May 30, 2008 11:41 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:It is hard to argue with a majority of his points. Not being at Game 5 of both series, I can't comment on the crowds but I can't argue with a lot of his points from a basketball stand point.

The team has been incredibly inconsistent and frustrating, starting from game 3 of the Atlanta series.

The Lakers have looked dominant throughout the playoffs and have looked the better and deeper team.

Eh I disagree. Doc didn't do great in the Cleveland series, but this series the only game I didn't like what he was doing was game 4 and don't think we were winning that game anyway. He has basically coached 4 good high level playoff games and has done much better than the previous series. Thats all I can ask of him.

I don't but the he killed the bench's confidence crap. If there is one thing guys 7-9 should expect in the playoffs is to have roles that shift at the drop of a hat.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,219

Post#43 » by TheSheriff » Sat May 31, 2008 1:36 am

Bill Simmons is just a fan, who writes funny, but knows very little about sports.
bigbreakfast
Sixth Man
And1: 628

Post#44 » by bigbreakfast » Sat May 31, 2008 2:09 am

Agreed. Thanks for making a post that addressed what he actually had to say about basketball. I hate simmons, but he's right and any fan with a slight ounce of objectivity can see that the Lakers have been the better team in the playoffs. Idon't know about the crowds since I wasn't at the games, but being I guess an outsider, I do think Doc's substitution patterns were terrible at times.

But... since is a simmons bashing thread, I hate simmons, he doesn't really offer much in terms of actual basketball analysis (this is one of the few exceptions) and now that he's started to heavily recycle his jokes/running jokes and now that his cute little culture references are getting tiring, really the guy is just kinda useless.

Ed Pinkney wrote:It is hard to argue with a majority of his points. Not being at Game 5 of both series, I can't comment on the crowds but I can't argue with a lot of his points from a basketball stand point.

Return to Boston Celtics