ImageImageImage

Simmons is at it again

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#37 » by greenbeans » Fri May 30, 2008 10:55 pm

well, this is the first column in 2-3 years im not even going to read. consider me a convert, haters!!
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,486

Post#38 » by canman1971 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:02 pm

15th overall wrote:Amongst all the "LA sucks" babbling on the board recently the one thing that really does suck about LA is what it did to Bill Simmons. Didn't even take him 6 months to go Hollywood on us, guy's got a disgustingly large ego.

I used to check his site on the daily, now I avoid him at all costs. He doesn't even have The Shaughnessy Effect where I wanna read him just to see how much farther he falls off the deepend from article to article. He just sucks.

As with what Pete said, well put. Maybe we can just ban all Simmons' crap on this board. Can I get a second?
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,067

Post#39 » by Ed Pinkney » Fri May 30, 2008 11:06 pm

It is hard to argue with a majority of his points. Not being at Game 5 of both series, I can't comment on the crowds but I can't argue with a lot of his points from a basketball stand point.

Doc killed the bench by stuffing the previously simple and effective rotation.

The team has been incredibly inconsistent and frustrating, starting from game 3 of the Atlanta series.

Our ball handling is shakey.

Apart from Game 7 of the Cleveland series, have we had a reliable go to scorer?

The Lakers have looked dominant throughout the playoffs and have looked the better and deeper team.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#40 » by meatball sub » Fri May 30, 2008 11:06 pm

I second that motion, canman. I'm not a mod though.

I hereby declare Bill Simmons officially dead to Celtic Nation.
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#41 » by 15th overall » Fri May 30, 2008 11:37 pm

I third that!

I'm sure some people like being updated on BS's new articles but seeing a new topic everytime this jerk runs some ink on the team gets on my nerves.

He reports nothing, may as well just post links to threads on CelticBlog cause that's who he's on par with.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,880

Post#42 » by UGA Hayes » Fri May 30, 2008 11:41 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:It is hard to argue with a majority of his points. Not being at Game 5 of both series, I can't comment on the crowds but I can't argue with a lot of his points from a basketball stand point.

The team has been incredibly inconsistent and frustrating, starting from game 3 of the Atlanta series.

The Lakers have looked dominant throughout the playoffs and have looked the better and deeper team.

Eh I disagree. Doc didn't do great in the Cleveland series, but this series the only game I didn't like what he was doing was game 4 and don't think we were winning that game anyway. He has basically coached 4 good high level playoff games and has done much better than the previous series. Thats all I can ask of him.

I don't but the he killed the bench's confidence crap. If there is one thing guys 7-9 should expect in the playoffs is to have roles that shift at the drop of a hat.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,219

Post#43 » by TheSheriff » Sat May 31, 2008 1:36 am

Bill Simmons is just a fan, who writes funny, but knows very little about sports.
bigbreakfast
Sixth Man
And1: 628

Post#44 » by bigbreakfast » Sat May 31, 2008 2:09 am

Agreed. Thanks for making a post that addressed what he actually had to say about basketball. I hate simmons, but he's right and any fan with a slight ounce of objectivity can see that the Lakers have been the better team in the playoffs. Idon't know about the crowds since I wasn't at the games, but being I guess an outsider, I do think Doc's substitution patterns were terrible at times.

But... since is a simmons bashing thread, I hate simmons, he doesn't really offer much in terms of actual basketball analysis (this is one of the few exceptions) and now that he's started to heavily recycle his jokes/running jokes and now that his cute little culture references are getting tiring, really the guy is just kinda useless.

Ed Pinkney wrote:It is hard to argue with a majority of his points. Not being at Game 5 of both series, I can't comment on the crowds but I can't argue with a lot of his points from a basketball stand point.

MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#45 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Jun 2, 2008 1:19 pm

I read the article on friday but I'm just chiming in today. Bill Simmons is officially not a Celtics fan anymore. I'd been saying for months on here he wasn't, only a front-runner, but it's official now. He needs to come out of the Laker-closet and declare his man-love for Kobe, Phil, and the Fake-show, but he's done as a C's fan. I don't care that he had season tickets with his dad to the Garden since the early 1970s, even a real Celtics fan rooting for a team that would have NO SHOT (like, say, if the 2002 ECF team had made it to the Finals vs the Lakers) cannot and will not root for the Lakers, even in the face of overwhelming odds.

And that's the thing...he's not just saying he *thinks* the Fakers are better, he's *rooting* for them, while simultaneously bashing the C's.

Bill Simmons' articles had been **** and crap for months but this sends him over the top...he jumped the shark a while ago, now he's humped the shark.

Simmons is dead as a Celtics fan...and I say good riddance to bad rubbish.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#46 » by BillessuR6 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 1:39 pm

Bill Simmons chat today at noon:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=20902

I already sent a question asking if he is going to cry when his lakers lose in the finals to the celtics...
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#47 » by Athanacropolis » Mon Jun 2, 2008 2:16 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:I read the article on friday but I'm just chiming in today. Bill Simmons is officially not a Celtics fan anymore. I'd been saying for months on here he wasn't, only a front-runner, but it's official now. He needs to come out of the Laker-closet and declare his man-love for Kobe, Phil, and the Fake-show, but he's done as a C's fan. I don't care that he had season tickets with his dad to the Garden since the early 1970s, even a real Celtics fan rooting for a team that would have NO SHOT (like, say, if the 2002 ECF team had made it to the Finals vs the Lakers) cannot and will not root for the Lakers, even in the face of overwhelming odds.

And that's the thing...he's not just saying he *thinks* the Fakers are better, he's *rooting* for them, while simultaneously bashing the C's.

Bill Simmons' articles had been **** and crap for months but this sends him over the top...he jumped the shark a while ago, now he's humped the shark.

Simmons is dead as a Celtics fan...and I say good riddance to bad rubbish.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#48 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Jun 2, 2008 2:56 pm

BS has been drinking too much of the Kobe Koolaid out in LA. Well, the Celtics didn't drink heavily into the King James Koolaid and passed that test. The fact is we have home court, we have (IMO) the most important player (Garnett), and we want it more. Forget Phil vs. Doc. This game will be won by the players. Nobody, I mean, NOBODY wants a ring as much as Garnett, Pierce, and Allen. Heck, Ray has been a near insomniac this year he's so focused on this goal.

And if people thought the Garden was loud during the first three rounds of the playoffs, those games will sound like a tennis match crowd when compared with the playoff games to come vs. the Lakers. It will literally be DEAFENING. I cannot wait to hear that.

Plus, while Kobe may go off, does anyone think that Pau and Radman have ANY shot at stopping Pierce and Garnett? 2>1 last time I checked.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#49 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Jun 2, 2008 3:51 pm

thebirdman wrote:Bill Simmons chat today at noon:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=20902

I already sent a question asking if he is going to cry when his lakers lose in the finals to the celtics...

I posted this question:

"When are you going to finally renounce your Boston fandom and come out of the LA/Lakers closet? You are one of, if not THE, most hated "Boston fans" in New England after the last 3-4 crap Celtics articles you wrote. You HUMPED the shark with that last one...you jumped it long ago, my friend."

Let's see if it gets answered...
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Athanacropolis
Analyst

Post#50 » by Athanacropolis » Mon Jun 2, 2008 3:56 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I posted this question:

"When are you going to finally renounce your Boston fandom and come out of the LA/Lakers closet? You are one of, if not THE, most hated "Boston fans" in New England after the last 3-4 crap Celtics articles you wrote. You HUMPED the shark with that last one...you jumped it long ago, my friend."

Let's see if it gets answered...

:o
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,352

Post#51 » by tlee324 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 4:05 pm

Didn't he say at the end of the article that while he feels LA is the better team, he isn't going to like the result of the Finals? Couldn't it be possible that he simply has an opinion, even if he doesn't LIKE his opinion? I just can't say he's not a fan for giving his honest opinion on the matter.

I've seen negative posters for years on this board, and I wouldn't say they weren't fans, but just want to see their team win.

I don't agree with the overall negativity and overall bowing down to the Lakers, but I do see that he is a fan of Boston and wants to see them win... he just doesn't think it's going to happen that way.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#52 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Jun 2, 2008 4:37 pm

First answer of his chat he states his is "wounded" anyone in New England would think he'd pick the Lakers over the Celtics...which is exactly what he did!
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Athanacropolis
Analyst

Post#53 » by Athanacropolis » Mon Jun 2, 2008 4:51 pm

Yeah I saw that too...waaah waaah!
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#54 » by GuyClinch » Mon Jun 2, 2008 10:20 pm

Didn't he say at the end of the article that while he feels LA is the better team, he isn't going to like the result of the Finals? Couldn't it be possible that he simply has an opinion, even if he doesn't LIKE his opinion? I just can't say he's not a fan for giving his honest opinion on the matter.

A fan is short for the word "fanatic" not "someone who claims to root for his home town team all the while dishing up articles about while they will lose." It's a "reverse jinx" now it's an "honest opinion"

Bill Simmons "may" have a soft spot for the Celtics but if he does I sure haven't seen it of late. Let's put it this way if it wasn't for the claims that Bill Simmons was a Celtic fan almost EVERY person reading his column would think he is a Laker fan. <g>

Truth is Simmons spent years bashing Doc and has expanded to guys like Pierce and KG of late. His ego outweighed his fandom months ago. He can't stand to be wrong like all the rest of the columnists.

I shudder at the amount of glee that will come shining through his columns if the C's lose. I hope that KG sticks it to him..What a poseur.

Opinions are FINE. Your allowed to make honest opinions and pick against the C's just don't claim to be representative of OTHER Celtic fans or the biggest Celtic fan around.

Simmons flat out doesn't like this team, IMHO. I know he was a fan of those Bird teams and probably doesn't want to see their legacy 'threatened" by this latest group.

Pete
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#55 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Jun 2, 2008 11:10 pm

That's what confuses me so much about BS. What on EARTH is there to not like about this team? Is there a more affable, approachable, and likable superstar than Kevin Garnett? He might be the most universally loved star in the NBA, and if he's not, it's Ray Allen. And then guys like Perkins, Posey, and Powe, hard-working, overachieving types that sacrifice any potential personal glory to win? As well as a veteran like PJ Brown searching for his first title (not to mention the Big 3 doing the same)?

And on the other side you have Kobe, a far from likable player until his stunning 'transformation' about 3 months into the season (aka- when they got Gasol and gunned for a title). Surrounding him are a bunch of Euro players, an egomaniacal coach, and a Steinbrenner-esque owner.

I think the shift to tinseltown has messed with Simmons' brain.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#56 » by meatball sub » Mon Jun 2, 2008 11:27 pm

This guy **** sucks...

Return to Boston Celtics