ImageImageImage

Simmons is at it again

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#49 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Jun 2, 2008 3:51 pm

thebirdman wrote:Bill Simmons chat today at noon:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=20902

I already sent a question asking if he is going to cry when his lakers lose in the finals to the celtics...

I posted this question:

"When are you going to finally renounce your Boston fandom and come out of the LA/Lakers closet? You are one of, if not THE, most hated "Boston fans" in New England after the last 3-4 crap Celtics articles you wrote. You HUMPED the shark with that last one...you jumped it long ago, my friend."

Let's see if it gets answered...
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#50 » by Athanacropolis » Mon Jun 2, 2008 3:56 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I posted this question:

"When are you going to finally renounce your Boston fandom and come out of the LA/Lakers closet? You are one of, if not THE, most hated "Boston fans" in New England after the last 3-4 crap Celtics articles you wrote. You HUMPED the shark with that last one...you jumped it long ago, my friend."

Let's see if it gets answered...

:o
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,352

Post#51 » by tlee324 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 4:05 pm

Didn't he say at the end of the article that while he feels LA is the better team, he isn't going to like the result of the Finals? Couldn't it be possible that he simply has an opinion, even if he doesn't LIKE his opinion? I just can't say he's not a fan for giving his honest opinion on the matter.

I've seen negative posters for years on this board, and I wouldn't say they weren't fans, but just want to see their team win.

I don't agree with the overall negativity and overall bowing down to the Lakers, but I do see that he is a fan of Boston and wants to see them win... he just doesn't think it's going to happen that way.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#52 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Jun 2, 2008 4:37 pm

First answer of his chat he states his is "wounded" anyone in New England would think he'd pick the Lakers over the Celtics...which is exactly what he did!
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#53 » by Athanacropolis » Mon Jun 2, 2008 4:51 pm

Yeah I saw that too...waaah waaah!
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#54 » by GuyClinch » Mon Jun 2, 2008 10:20 pm

Didn't he say at the end of the article that while he feels LA is the better team, he isn't going to like the result of the Finals? Couldn't it be possible that he simply has an opinion, even if he doesn't LIKE his opinion? I just can't say he's not a fan for giving his honest opinion on the matter.

A fan is short for the word "fanatic" not "someone who claims to root for his home town team all the while dishing up articles about while they will lose." It's a "reverse jinx" now it's an "honest opinion"

Bill Simmons "may" have a soft spot for the Celtics but if he does I sure haven't seen it of late. Let's put it this way if it wasn't for the claims that Bill Simmons was a Celtic fan almost EVERY person reading his column would think he is a Laker fan. <g>

Truth is Simmons spent years bashing Doc and has expanded to guys like Pierce and KG of late. His ego outweighed his fandom months ago. He can't stand to be wrong like all the rest of the columnists.

I shudder at the amount of glee that will come shining through his columns if the C's lose. I hope that KG sticks it to him..What a poseur.

Opinions are FINE. Your allowed to make honest opinions and pick against the C's just don't claim to be representative of OTHER Celtic fans or the biggest Celtic fan around.

Simmons flat out doesn't like this team, IMHO. I know he was a fan of those Bird teams and probably doesn't want to see their legacy 'threatened" by this latest group.

Pete
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#55 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Jun 2, 2008 11:10 pm

That's what confuses me so much about BS. What on EARTH is there to not like about this team? Is there a more affable, approachable, and likable superstar than Kevin Garnett? He might be the most universally loved star in the NBA, and if he's not, it's Ray Allen. And then guys like Perkins, Posey, and Powe, hard-working, overachieving types that sacrifice any potential personal glory to win? As well as a veteran like PJ Brown searching for his first title (not to mention the Big 3 doing the same)?

And on the other side you have Kobe, a far from likable player until his stunning 'transformation' about 3 months into the season (aka- when they got Gasol and gunned for a title). Surrounding him are a bunch of Euro players, an egomaniacal coach, and a Steinbrenner-esque owner.

I think the shift to tinseltown has messed with Simmons' brain.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#56 » by meatball sub » Mon Jun 2, 2008 11:27 pm

This guy **** sucks...
amb1ent
Veteran
And1: 17

Post#57 » by amb1ent » Mon Jun 2, 2008 11:28 pm

Is there a more affable, approachable, and likable superstar than Kevin Garnett?

Dwight Howard?

Not a "superstar", but it'd be hard finding anyone that actively hates the guy.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#58 » by greenbeans » Mon Jun 2, 2008 11:30 pm

amb1ent wrote:
Is there a more affable, approachable, and likable superstar than Kevin Garnett?

Dwight Howard?

Not a "superstar", but it'd be hard finding anyone that actively hates the guy.

Scal-aaaaa-brinEEEEEEEEEEE
amb1ent
Veteran
And1: 17

Post#59 » by amb1ent » Mon Jun 2, 2008 11:33 pm

I dunno about Scalabrine, but out here in California we were blessed by Slava.
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#60 » by greenbeans » Mon Jun 2, 2008 11:42 pm

amb1ent wrote:I dunno about Scalabrine, but out here in California we were blessed by Slava.

i meant Scal hates Dwight, they had a lil tussle earlier in the year. not sure "hate" is the best word though
Arroyo30
Junior
And1: 0

Post#61 » by Arroyo30 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 11:47 pm

kgcelts5 wrote:and the crowds at the garden are louder and more into the game because we are better fans, not cuz we aren't confident.

showing up midway through the second quarter does not suggest that you are "confident fans" it suggests that you are bandwagon fans that don't give a crap about the game

There are a lot of bandwagon celtics fans, many of the posters in this page weren't celtics fans before you got garnett and i'm sure about that.
The Lakeshow baby!
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#62 » by greenbeans » Mon Jun 2, 2008 11:48 pm

Arroyo30 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

There are a lot of bandwagon celtics fans, many of the posters in this page weren't celtics fans before you got garnett and i'm sure about that.
you got some info since your oh so sure of it?? is it the join date??
GonzoLays
Assistant Coach
And1: 185
Location: The strongest man is he who stands alone in the face of oppression and censorship.

Post#63 » by GonzoLays » Tue Jun 3, 2008 12:04 am

Arroyo30 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And we remember when you use to post on the Miami Heat board as a bandwagon fan of their championship run.

Busted!!!
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#64 » by greenbeans » Tue Jun 3, 2008 12:05 am

GonzoLays wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And we remember when you use to post on the Miami Heat board as a bandwagon fan of their championship run.

Busted!!!

OHHHHHHHHH snap. . he got got
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#65 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:46 am

That's what confuses me so much about BS. What on EARTH is there to not like about this team? Is there a more affable, approachable, and likable superstar than Kevin Garnett? He might be the most universally loved star in the NBA, and if he's not, it's Ray Allen. And then guys like Perkins, Posey, and Powe, hard-working, overachieving types that sacrifice any potential personal glory to win? As well as a veteran like PJ Brown searching for his first title (not to mention the Big 3 doing the same)?

What he doesn't like about it - is that he didn't see it coming together. He thought Doc was bad, Danny was bad, and that they should listen to HIS insight. Yes - it's laughable but that's how sportswriters are.

Like I said IF the C's lose I expect absolute GLEE from the guy. I lot of "I told you so" articles about Doc's bad coaching, KG's lack of clutch play, PP's not a true superstar and so on. That's why it would be a just a bit extra sweet if it shuts this guy up.

Over on C's blog there was talk about how Doc went out of his way to throw in some digs at "bloggers" but I suspect the guy that he actually read was Simmons, as I can't imagine Doc reads blogs.

Pete
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,352

Post#66 » by tlee324 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 2:59 am

I don't think Webster's dictionary is necessary to know if a guy is a fan of a team or not. I don't think "sports fan" means you have to be non-objective at all times.

It comes down to who he wants to win. Who do you guys think Bill Simmons wants to win?
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#67 » by Prophet_C » Tue Jun 3, 2008 3:02 am

DorfonCeltics wrote:Him and Tony Maz should go blow each other in a back alley somewhere. Screw these junk columnists.

Shaugnessy for three way?
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#68 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jun 3, 2008 3:42 am

It comes down to who he wants to win. Who do you guys think Bill Simmons wants to win?

The Lakers - so he can say see I told you so. What you think he was excited after KG stuff his your not clutch article in his face?! You really think he was excited about Doc OUT COACHING Flip Saunders in game six? How come we didn't see that article?

But that being said I reject your definition of "fandom" by your definition if I place a wager on the blue jays i am a Blue Jays fan. After all I want them to win.

That's just a weak *ss version of fandom. Even "bandwagon" fans have a little more zeal then that. I live in NYC and you couldn't FIND a Giants FAN who didn't believe they were going to win.

There is a reason why real fans don't bet against their own team. Everyone knows this - watch any "expert" picks show and these guys always pick their "team" if its a close one..

Pete

Return to Boston Celtics