ImageImageImage

Oh ****! Cassell says he is coming back next season!!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

GonzoLays
Assistant Coach
And1: 185
Location: The strongest man is he who stands alone in the face of oppression and censorship.

Oh ****! Cassell says he is coming back next season!! 

Post#1 » by GonzoLays » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:50 pm

"I'm playing next year, playing my 16th year," Cassell said without hesitation, minutes after the conclusion of the game put on by his friend and fellow Dunbar alumnus Kurk Lee, benefiting Lee's foundation.

"After winning a championship, it's just so hard to walk away from that," Cassell said, describing the title he contributed to with the Celtics last week, their 17th in franchise history and Cassell's third. "Certain guys did it, but as I tell the guys, every great movie has a sequel. And since we consider ourselves a great team, we've got to go and repeat."

"People have to remember," Cassell said, "I wanted to go to Boston, but Boston had to want me. But they wanted me, and they welcomed me with open arms. And when I got there, I fit in."

www.baltimoresun.com
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Re: Oh ****! Cassell says he is coming back next season!! 

Post#2 » by greenbeans » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:53 pm

have fun in denver!!
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,486

Post#3 » by canman1971 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:54 pm

Well, they could do worse for a end of the rotation guy. Maybe he'll be better with an entire training camp under his belt. Nothing right now is going to dampen my hopes/love for the Celtics. If Ainge thinks Sam should return, who am I to judge right now.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Tricky Ricky » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:02 pm

game 1 vs Cle, regular season game in SA, and throwing Vujacic is why Ill always love him, he should just retire though and go out on top he doesnt really add much to a team anymore and I cant stand him running down the court and without hesitating throwing up a shot.
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#5 » by tombattor » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:03 pm

Well, of course he wants to come back with Boston, but who says we're gonna re-sign him? We have Pruitt on the wing to take over as the backup PG. So I doubt we see Cassell back in green.

Now I'm hoping for the C's to take a PG in the draft, so there is no chance Cassell is back next year.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#6 » by Tricky Ricky » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:04 pm

heres a good question how many players have won a title in their first and last seasons?
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#7 » by ParticleMan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:07 pm

I'll believe it when Ainge says it.
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#8 » by Kefa461 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:13 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I just love it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
MVP16
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#9 » by MVP16 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:29 pm

I'm not against having Sam back, but more of an assistant coach/emergency pg situation. He seemed to take on the role of being a mentor to Rondo and it wouldn't hurt to have him back for another year. If Sam goes in understanding his role, then I'm all for bringing him back. If he wants to be a major part of the rotation and wines about getting DNPs, then let him go.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#10 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:36 pm

If Cassell calls playing selfish shot-jacking offense "fitting in" with a ball movement, unselfish offense that won 66 games, I shudder to think what it would have been like had he not "fit in"...
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
dYYYh.k²
Pro Prospect
And1: 165

Post#11 » by dYYYh.k² » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:44 pm

"I'm playing next year, playing my 16th year," Cassell said without hesitation, minutes after the conclusion of the game put on by his friend and fellow Dunbar alumnus Kurk Lee, benefiting Lee's foundation.

"After winning a championship, it's just so hard to walk away from that," Cassell said, describing the title he contributed to with the Celtics last week, their 17th in franchise history and Cassell's third. "Certain guys did it, but as I tell the guys, every great movie has a sequel. And since we consider ourselves a great team, we've got to go and repeat."

"People have to remember," Cassell said, "I wanted to go to Boston, but Boston had to want me. But they wanted me, and they welcomed me with open arms. And when I got there, I fit in."

sam forgot that most sequels are utter crap.
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#12 » by tombattor » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:10 pm

dYYYh.k² wrote:sam forgot that most sequels are utter crap.

sam forgot that he's utter crap.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,486

Post#13 » by canman1971 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:12 pm

Look at it this way, if he does return, the board here will be much busier than last year because people will have a lot to complain about.
dYYYh.k²
Pro Prospect
And1: 165

Post#14 » by dYYYh.k² » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:16 pm

tombattor wrote:
dYYYh.k² wrote:sam forgot that most sequels are utter crap.

sam forgot that he's utter crap.

which is what i wanted to say.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#15 » by meatball sub » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:25 pm

This is like getting a brain tumor removed then finding out it came back and that there's nothing you can do about it. I was in favor of signing Cassell when he was bought out so that makes it even tougher to deal with. Now I know how people who voted for Bush must feel...
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#16 » by sully00 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:33 pm

A positive to bringing back Cassell at the minimum is that it would make bringing back House more likely. Say the plan is to try and work Pruitt in but have a steady hand to bail him out. You have Sam as the veteran 3rd PG and Eddy as a scorer off the bench. Now if Boston doesn't bring back Sam they probably have to go get an Anthony Johnson type who will want a real contract and that makes it make less sense to bring back House as Johnson can do both jobs to some extent.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#17 » by bruno sundov » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:37 pm

Tricky Ricky wrote:heres a good question how many players have won a title in their first and last seasons?

I know Russell and Tommy did!!
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#18 » by Rocky5000 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:42 pm

NOT a good idea! How is Pruitt going to get any playing time if Eddie AND Cassell are around? We don't need a 4th pg. And Eddie makes a poor choice for backup SG, when compared to TA IMO. I hope this means doesn't mean that Eddie is a goner. He is much more of a team player (and healthier) than Mr. Cassell. It was pretty sweet having Cassell during the Texas triangle, but in the playoffs he was absolutely abysmal.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,571

Post#19 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:43 pm

I could see it happening under the right circumstances. Cassell would make the minimum which is very important given the Celtics salary cap issues. He could be like a player/coach in helping to develop Pruitt (who I believe the Celtics want as the backup). Cassell would be there for insurance. In fairness to Cassell, he would probably be much better if he had a full training camp with the team.

Again it wouldn't surprise me given the Celtics salary cap issues.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,964

Post#20 » by jfs1000d » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:49 pm

Sam will play for short money. He is Garnett's friend and with a full training camp will adjust to his role. It isn't terrible. I would just like a better defender and more explosive player.

But, Sam still fulfills a need. Let him fight it out with someone.

Return to Boston Celtics