ImageImageImage

OT- Richard Jefferson to the Bucks.

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,572

OT- Richard Jefferson to the Bucks. 

Post#1 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:27 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/b ... index.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008 ... id=3462210

By Ian Thomsen, SI.com

The Milwaukee Bucks have agreed in principle to trade Yi Jianlian to the New Jersey Nets for Richard Jefferson, two league sources told SI.com.

The Bucks also are sending Bobby Simmons to the Nets. He has $20.5 million left on a contract that expires in the summer of 2010, when LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh could become free agents.

This trade could be seen as a sign that the Nets truly are interested in getting involved in the LeBron sweepstakes, based in no small part on his close friendship with Nets minority owner Jay-Z. As a result of this trade, the Nets are no longer committed to paying Jefferson $15 million in 2010-11.

Yi's camp was said to be ecstatic about going to the rebuilding Nets and playing in a major market, which was one of the original concerns when he was drafted by the Bucks last year. Yi threatened to not sign with Milwaukee in hopes of forcing a trade to another team.

The Bucks, meanwhile, are providing new coach Scott Skiles with a veteran player who can help him win now. The Bucks also retain their No. 8 pick in the draft to further revamp their team. The Nets hold the No. 10 pick.

DEVELOPING STORY
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Re: OT- Richard Jefferson to the Bucks. 

Post#2 » by Dirty Water » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:30 pm

Who cares about scrub teams.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Tricky Ricky » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:37 pm

Ghost of the Garden wrote:Who cares about scrub teams.

I do, especially ones in our division. I think this is a good trade for both teams, a team of Bogut/Charlie V/RJ/Redd/Williams is a good starting 5 and Yi helps the Nets rebuild, pretty good trade for both teams.
daveisceltics
Bench Warmer
And1: 517

Post#4 » by daveisceltics » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:38 pm

Yeah, what were we last season?
A scrub team with 24 wins.
Remember where we came from.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#5 » by Datruth345 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:39 pm

it is relevant because New Jersey is in our division

however relevant, is subjective

i care
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,153

Post#6 » by chakdaddy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:39 pm

They're nearly all scrub teams...without them there's not much to talk about!

Intereresting - now they need to dump Vince Carter. Would Cleveland dare to bring in VC to pair with LBJ (giving up expirings), knowingly arming NJ with more cap space? If Yi doesn't pan out, why would LeBron want to sign with will be close to the worst team in the league which has practically nothing other than Devin Harris (and their next couple of lottery picks). If they clear too much space and deplete their roster they may shoot themselves in the foot.

As a Cleveland native I worried a lot about LeBron leaving my 2nd favorite team, but now that we're on top, I'm not very involved in it emotionally anymore - that said, the Jay-Z friendship is the *only* thing that makes the situation worrisome for the Cavs IMO - he'll never go to the Knicks - why would a frontrunner like LeBron go to a team that is synonymous with garbage?
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#7 » by meatball sub » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:42 pm

LeBron should sign with us when Ray comes off the books.

Rondo, LeBron, Pierce, KG, Perk in 2010. :o
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#8 » by Spin Move » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:43 pm

Well no playoffs for NJ, the bucks just got alot better, I like this trade for them alot, I am curious to see what they do with tehir pick now that they filled their need for an SF.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by chakdaddy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:44 pm

daveisceltics wrote:

The most talented 24 win team ever though...with a ton of chips ready to be cashed in and a GM willing to go for it...we were poised to shoot the moon with the lottery but did it with trades instead. NJ meanwhile is going to try to shoot the moon by signing LeBron in two years - but if they don't get good lottery picks and Yi doesn't develop - they'll sign LeBron and become the '05 Cavs. Or fail to sign him and become the '08 Grizzlies.
SonicYouth34
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#10 » by SonicYouth34 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:47 pm

It's a win-win trade. I especially like it for the Bucks, they get a tough player that can actually defend. Now they can use the pick on a PF, CV stinks
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by chakdaddy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:49 pm

Spin Move wrote:Well no playoffs for NJ, the bucks just got alot better, I like this trade for them alot, I am curious to see what they do with tehir pick now that they filled their need for an SF.

We already knew no playoffs for NJ...

It's an interesting move for Milwaukee, basketball wise it's obviously good in the short term, but it looked like they were more interested in blowing everything up. They look promising on paper, but who knows? This year's Hawks seems like one of the only teams that looked good on paper and then actually seemed to get it together. Our pre-Garnett era being a prime example of a team that looked good on paper but never worked out - Milwaukee is in big danger of that, and I don't think they look as good on paper as we did with Jefferson/Pierce.

I wonder what they'll do with Redd? I think they're less likely to dump him on the Cavs for cheap now - which is good for us. Keep the RJ's of the world shuffling between bad teams (same with the JO / TJ Ford trade) as opposed to any repeats of the Gasol trade to arm LA/Cleveland/Detroit.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#12 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:59 pm

Love this trade for the bucks.

Yi (bust) and simmons for Richard Jefferson.

They got a good playoff team now.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#13 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:59 pm

chakdaddy wrote:
daveisceltics wrote:

The most talented 24 win team ever though...with a ton of chips ready to be cashed in and a GM willing to go for it...we were poised to shoot the moon with the lottery but did it with trades instead. NJ meanwhile is going to try to shoot the moon by signing LeBron in two years - but if they don't get good lottery picks and Yi doesn't develop - they'll sign LeBron and become the '05 Cavs. Or fail to sign him and become the '08 Grizzlies.

Dude, c'mon...there's a difference between being talented and having good individual players as nice trade chips. We were not that talented last season (I said this last year, too). If so, we should have been able to adjusted to losing PIerce for a while, instead of sucking hard. We had *SOME* talent, to be sure, but the overall talent level was so low compared to most other teams it wasn't even funny.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#14 » by bruno sundov » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:03 pm

Again. Does anyone have video of Yi outplaying the chairs?

I'm a Yi supporter whether he is 20 or 23 doesn't matter. As long as he can play. I think he can do it. It took Dirk 3 years to get going so it looked like him moving out on the court.
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#15 » by Prophet_C » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:03 pm

Even though this draft isn't as important to us I'm still loving every minute of this. Woooo more trades please, keeps me entertained!
DynastyInTheMaking
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#16 » by DynastyInTheMaking » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:05 pm

This is a great move for the Bucks, I think they will definitely be a playoff team.

I dont think Yi really helps the Nets.
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#17 » by Prophet_C » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:07 pm

DynastyInTheMaking wrote:This is a great move for the Bucks, I think they will definitely be a playoff team.

I dont think Yi really helps the Nets.

It may not talent wise but it sure will merchandise wise.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#18 » by greenbeans » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:08 pm

now the Nets need to dump Vince. and aint there a team north of the border thats looking for a potent 2/3??? hmmmm, would they ever forggive him??
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#19 » by Athanacropolis » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:10 pm

Great trade for the Bucks! I can't believe they got Richard Jefferson for so little (yes, I am in the "Yi sucks" camp). This will make the central division very interesting, if that team can gel. I don't think they'll be able to pose a serious threat to Cleveland and Detroit's supremacy in that division, but I do think that they'll be a markedly improved team.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#20 » by ParticleMan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:11 pm

Unlike the JO-Ford trade, this one helps neither team.

What do the Bucks do with a inconsistent and injury-prone wing? What do the Nets do with more soft, jumpshooting big men?

Seems like one of those "might as well do something cuz we're going to suck anyway" trades for both GMs.

Return to Boston Celtics