ImageImageImage

Any interest in bringing Gomes and D. West back?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

fishdoctor
Senior
And1: 15

Any interest in bringing Gomes and D. West back? 

Post#1 » by fishdoctor » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:13 pm

Obviously, Posey is our #1 priority this offseason. However, if he doesnt return (or perhaps even if he does), I would LOVE to see Danny pursue requiring Gomes and D. West with MLE $. I know this topic has been tossed around a few times last fall & winter - just thought I'd get the board's feedback on this - What do you guys think? Ryan has a long career ahead of him as a solid, versatile, heady player who I think would be an excellent fit for this team at the 4 and 3 positions. I have a huge bias when it comes to West, but I really love his energy, guts, and determination. The kid plays as hard as anyone in the league right now and played very well in the playoffs for Clev. this year. Both of 'em loved Boston. What do ya think?
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Re: Any interest in bringing Gomes and D. West back? 

Post#2 » by Banks2Pierce » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:24 pm

I would go after Gomes with MLE if we can't get Posey to agree to a deal. D West will be a lot harder to come by, IMO.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,981

Post#3 » by Bad-Thoma » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:29 pm

Loved em both, though I agree that Delonte is real unlikely and I'd only go after Gomes if Posey can't be re-signed. Delonte would be a great back-up point for us though, I can dream can't I?
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#4 » by billfromBoston » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:33 pm

...I think it would have to be one or the other, based on what the market will be for both...I wouldn't be surprised in the least if both of these players is on the team's list of potentials--though Posey is clearly number one at this point...
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#5 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:33 pm

I remember when we thought this would be a lock. That was until we saw what Posey does for us. And west was traded to cleveland.
JMillott
Pro Prospect
And1: 32

Post#6 » by JMillott » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:47 pm

I would love to see them bring back Delonte West as he could back up both PG/SG would make bringing back Eddie House or Sam Cassell a no go. I think its possible that we could make do with Giddens and Walker if Posey's price is too high.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#7 » by GuyClinch » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:51 pm

West won't here to back up Rondo and offers nothing over House anyway. I mean in theory West is a bit more versatile player but it doesn't amount to much on the court. Both hit outside jumpers and I trust House to be a bit more clutch in that regard. Both are poor dribblers - except House doesn't favour one hand as badly..

Pete
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#8 » by jfs1000d » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:52 pm

I would want Gomes even if POsey is going to come back. Not sure it's possible.

Delonte West is stupid if he leaves Cleveland. He is a starting PG and is perfect fit to play with LeBron. LeBron creates, west hits open shots, hustles, plays D and does his little things.

Good player.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#9 » by Banks2Pierce » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:59 pm

GuyClinch would spontaneously combust if Delonte signed back in Boston.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#10 » by GuyClinch » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:00 pm

Why would Gomes give up a starting gig to play as little as 10 minutes a game or LESS on our team? He wasn't a team player when he was here - and I don't think he is going to start playing that way now. <g>
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,966

Post#11 » by sam_I_am » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:02 pm

West will cost more money than House. He is a better point guard but a more hesitant shooter. When he actually shoots like he is supposed to he can be dangerous as we saw in EC semifinals. He is a better all around defender and rebounder. For the price differential, I do not see the value in pursuing West over House. Although he is an all around better player and more effective than House in playing the point, the things that House does do better - like shooting, man on man defending and leadership - I would rather have House.

Gomes would be a great fit on this team offensively. I just don't see us using the MLE on him though.
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#12 » by Truthiracy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:08 pm

Delonte West sucks... I'd puke if that imbecile was a Celtic. As for Gomes, he has no role on this team. Re-sign Posey, stay away from old binkies, they can't help us.
celtsloyalty
Senior

Post#13 » by celtsloyalty » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:16 pm

I don't get why Gomes would be good for this team. We have Powe and Baby as backup fours so we don't need him for that. And as for being a replacement if Posey doesn't resign, you have got to be kidding me... Posey was a key to our championship because of his defense on 3's and 2's and outside shooting, either of which Gomes can do. That is an insult to Posey if people think Gomes can play the role that he did, it's laughable thinking of Gomes defending Lebron, Kobe, and J Johnson or hitting a clutch 3 pointer.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,741

Post#14 » by meatball sub » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:32 pm

1. Posey/Eddie
2. Posey/Delonte

IMO this team made Eddie look a lot better than he really is so I think Delonte would be a nice replacement if House were to leave.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#15 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:48 pm

No. There's no good reason to get away from the team's signature capability on defense by bringing back Gomes, and Delonte can and should do better elsewhere--such as right where he is now.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#16 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:49 pm

No. There's no good reason to get away from the team's signature capability on defense by bringing back Gomes, and Delonte can and should do better elsewhere--such as right where he is now.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#17 » by canman1971 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:49 pm

I have no use for either. I think both will stay with their teams. I can't see too many teams lining up to sign very mediocre players.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#18 » by Datruth345 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:23 pm

D West is the man
naysayers can go to hell!!!
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,981

Post#19 » by Bad-Thoma » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:07 pm

celtsloyalty wrote:I don't get why Gomes would be good for this team. We have Powe and Baby as backup fours so we don't need him for that. And as for being a replacement if Posey doesn't resign, you have got to be kidding me... Posey was a key to our championship because of his defense on 3's and 2's and outside shooting, either of which Gomes can do. That is an insult to Posey if people think Gomes can play the role that he did, it's laughable thinking of Gomes defending Lebron, Kobe, and J Johnson or hitting a clutch 3 pointer.

I don't think anyone was claiming Gomes could replace Posey, just saying that if Posey isn't back he'd be an option to sign. With Posey here, Gomes has no place, he is more of a 3 than a 4, and I'd take Powe or Baby at the 4 over Gomes anyday. However, if Posey doesn't come back we need someone besides Scal to play at the 3 when Pierce isn't in the game.
West is Best
Bench Warmer

Post#20 » by West is Best » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:23 pm

Gomes would have to much compitition as a backup in the front court.
Delonte West would be a great addition. He can play both the 1 & 2, scores as well or better than House, Cassel and Tony Allen, and is a better point guard and defender than those 3. ReSigning Posey, getting West and someone decent as a back up Center would be a great off season
Danny Ainge...The Ronald Reagan of GM's

Return to Boston Celtics