lukeridenour
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Kurt Thomas Eyeing Return. 

Post#1 » by lukeridenour » Tue Jul 8, 2008 5:04 am

Thomas eyes return to Spurs
By Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

Kurt Thomas spent four months in San Antonio last season, just long enough to determine he'd like to come back for a second tour of duty with the Spurs.

Thomas also has been around the business of the NBA long enough to know he'd be best served to look around a bit before committing to that desire in writing.

Though it remains his preference to return to San Antonio next season, Thomas — an unrestricted free agent — said Monday he plans to investigate other opportunities before signing a new contract.

“Hopefully, things work out that way,” Thomas said of the possibility of re-signing with the Spurs. “That's the great thing about being a free agent. I get to weigh my options and decide what's best for me and my family.”

Lost amid the hubbub of the Spurs' week-long recruitment of free-agent swingman Corey Maggette has been their low-key courtship of Thomas, who played an integral role in the team's run to the Western Conference finals last season.

The Spurs have long held interest in re-signing the veteran forward, a desire that only became intensified when former first-round pick Tiago Splitter opted to remain in Spain.

Acquired from Seattle in a trade last February, Thomas started 17 games at center for the Spurs, providing much-needed spurts of rebounding and interior defense. He averaged 6.3 points and 7.2 rebounds split between the Spurs and SuperSonics.

Thomas is one of a handful of free agents the Spurs have discussed retaining, a list that also includes guards Brent Barry and Michael Finley.

What other options might be available to Thomas this summer are uncertain. There would seem to be a niche market, at best, for the 35-year-old forward.

Miami and the Los Angeles Lakers have expressed interest in Thomas, though the Spurs could offer more money than either of those teams. In all likelihood, the Lakers would partake in the hunt for Thomas only if their bid to retain Ronny Turiaf falls short.

Wherever Thomas lands, he almost certainly will have to take less than the $8 million he earned last season.

Thomas declined to discuss specifics of his negotiations with the Spurs, other than to say he didn't know if the two sides would reach an agreement before the league's moratorium on free-agent signings is lifted Wednesday.

“That's been between the Spurs and my agent,” Thomas said.

Thomas' agent, Jerry Hicks, could not be reached Monday.

Meanwhile, all remained quiet on the Maggette front.

The biggest piece of the Spurs' free-agent puzzle this offseason, Maggette has been pondering interest from a horde of salivating suitors since opting out of his contract with the Los Angeles Clippers last week.

The Spurs, owning a $5.8 million mid-level exception with Maggette's name on it, are considered the favorites to land him.

However, Maggette has received similar overtures from Boston, Utah, Orlando, Detroit, Cleveland and New Orleans. Maggette also could draw interest from Philadelphia and Golden State, two teams with salary cap space to outbid the Spurs.

The rest of the Spurs' free-agent picture should begin to clarify once Maggette makes his decision.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...n.41a2404.html
Manu Ginobili:

* Italian League Championship: 2001
* Italian Cup: 2001, 2002
* Euroleague: 2001
* Americas Championship: 2001
* NBA Championship: 2003, 2005, 2007
* Summer Olympic Games gold medal: 2004
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Re: Kurt Thomas Eyeing Return. 

Post#2 » by Ballings7 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 5:29 am

I think Kurt will probably be back.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#3 » by HarlemHeat37 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 7:35 am

I want him back..love his game and I think he could have gave us a better chance vs. LA if Pop played him over Horry..there isn't a remaining big that we could sign that I would take over KT..
johnnyjohnnyjohnny
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#4 » by johnnyjohnnyjohnny » Tue Jul 8, 2008 11:51 am

Kurt and Barry are the only two senior citizens that I'd like to see back.
*** Having a NICE NAVY DAY ***
coyotes_geek
Sophomore

Post#5 » by coyotes_geek » Tue Jul 8, 2008 1:52 pm

After getting jilted by Splitter, we pretty much have to bring Thomas back. We can't afford to lose him.
Mr.Bottomtooth
Sophomore

Post#6 » by Mr.Bottomtooth » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:36 pm

Good news to hear. After he tests the market, which is probably 5 days to a week, we'll see at what price do we bring him back, which more than likely won't matter since the Spurs are locked in on bringing him back.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#7 » by Blame Rasho » Wed Jul 9, 2008 12:46 am

We need him given that he gives us rebounding. Hell, if he makes him jumpshot, that is a bonus. I expect for us to sign him to a two year deal at around 5 to 7 million.

Return to San Antonio Spurs