ImageImageImage

Marbury says Celtics on his radar

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Marbury says Celtics on his radar 

Post#1 » by Rocky5000 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:58 pm

Marbury, who played just 24 games last season because of season-ending ankle surgery, has trained vigorously since May, running the Hollywood Hills, a mountain called Runyon Canyon.

"When November comes, that's when everyone will see what I've been doing," Marbury said.

If waived, Marbury has told confidants the Celtics are on his radar because of his ties with Kevin Garnett and Boston's need of point-guard depth, though Paul Pierce didn't sound like a fan.

Source: http://www.nypost.com/seven/07122008/sp ... 119536.htm

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Steph, I don't blame you for wanting to come to Boston, but I doubt anyone in Boston has reached out to him. I will say that if given the option between Marbury and Cassell, I'd lean towards Marbury. Hopefully, we don't have to make a choice like that, and this is Marbury just talking crazy again.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Re: Marbury says Celtics on his radar 

Post#2 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:19 pm

I'd say that the Patrick O'Bryant signing takes up enough of our Bad-Attitude/Crazy cap that we have room to add Marbury or D. Miles, but not both.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#3 » by GreenGrizz » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:19 pm

Marbury is an all-star when he is motivated.
bceltic55
Rookie
And1: 62

Post#4 » by bceltic55 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:27 pm

Be careful what you wish for.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,895

Post#5 » by SuperDeluxe » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:48 pm

I know of a few players who have sacrificed money to play for a contender. The question is: has any player ever paid to play for a contender?

Even if Marbury pays the Celtics, I'm not sure it would be a good move though.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#6 » by bruno sundov » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:58 pm

Super D, that is the best sig going!!!

Just say no. When it comes stephon marbury. he is the definition of cancer. name Me one team he went to that got better? The answer is NONE!!!!
Collinto
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#7 » by Collinto » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:18 am

Marbury, who played just 24 games last season because of season-ending ankle surgery, has trained vigorously since May, running the Hollywood Hills, a mountain called Runyon Canyon.

"When November comes, that's when everyone will see what I've been doing," Marbury said.

If waived, Marbury has told confidants the Celtics are on his radar because of his ties with Kevin Garnett and Boston's need of point-guard depth, [b]though Paul Pierce didn't sound like a fan.[/b]

I think the 'Pierce didn't sound like a fan' is way off. I actually read the quote a couple of days ago and thought that Pierce was lobbying for him. The idea that 'he needs to be with a veteran team', not 'fitting into a rebuilding plan'...seems just like what Pierce, Allen and Garnett thought after last season...as in 'you are just like us, Stephon'. And the "There's all kinds of pressure that comes along with being the main guy. But he's definitely a great piece to have"...smells just like what all of the Big Three would have been saying..."it's easier being one of the big three, on a veteran team, as a piece of a championship team, then being the one guy expected to be the savior when surrounded by a bunch of young guys who just don't get it"...

IMHO, Pierce and Garnett want this guy...just a gut feeling...

"He makes the biggest contract and he's one of the oldest players on the team," Pierce said yesterday while signing collectibles at Steiner Sports offices in New Rochelle. "That doesn't really fit into a rebuilding plan, just to be honest.

"I'd try to trade him or buy him out at this point," added Pierce, who still believes Marbury can be a starting point guard in the NBA. "I just think he needs a fresh start somewhere else. Marbury needs to be on a veteran team where he fits into what they're trying to do a little bit more."

Chris Duhon signed a two-year, $11.6 million dollar deal with the Knicks on Wednesday, but Knicks president Donnie Walsh continues to sidestep questions regarding Marbury's status for next season. Marbury will earn $21 million in the final year of his contract.

"Everywhere he's gone, they put him in the position to be the main guy," Pierce said. "I really don't look at Steph as the main guy.... There's all kinds of pressure that comes along with being the main guy. But he's definitely a great piece to have."
jono
Ballboy

Post#8 » by jono » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:36 am

I tend to agree the Pierce and KG probably have their thoughts directed towards bringing in Marbury because they believe they can turn him around...There is no denying that he has the talent and would be the best backup PG in the league who could shoulder alot of the scoring on the second unit... He may not want to be second-fiddle to Rondo and may pout and complain but I really have faith in our ability to get players to buy into Ubuntu... Perhaps Marbury will mature and realize that Boston is really a good fit for him as he can play for a contender and not have to worry so much about being the main man on the team (he may want to be but obviously isn't)...

I would take a chance on him because I really feel good about our team and our ability to turn around guys ... Let's face it, we became a great defense team overnight because of contributions from people like TT and KG... I think if we can persuade veterans to buy into the defense first concept that we can convince players like Marbury to come here and go after a ring before their career is over...
eloper
Starter
And1: 82

Post#9 » by eloper » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:40 am

Pierce's comments really weren't negative towards Marbury. All he said was that with the Knicks getting younger, Marbury would probably be better off on a veteran team with a fresh start. If anything, Pierce was sort of defending Marbury.

Personally I wouldn't mind him on the Celts, if things dont work out just cut him. He wont get more than the minimum from anyone.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#10 » by Rocky5000 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:46 am

I wouldn't be so sure, Steve Francis is signed a 2yr/$6M deal with the Rockets last year. Marbury is a better player than Francis, so he could probably get at least that.

The guy is so scatter brained that it' s hard to tell what he actually thinks, at one moment he's planning on going to Italy to play, and now he's saying he'd like to join the Celtics.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,749

Post#11 » by meatball sub » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:47 am

I hope he doesn't sink our battleship.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#12 » by sully00 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:47 am

I thought what he said was border line tampering never mind not being a fan. The thing with bringing Marbury on to this team as opposed to other moves is that this team wants him to play exactly how he has played his whole career, as if he was on another completely different level than everyone else and he should just dominate, coming off the bench in the NBA he will be that good.

A lot of his problems are his fault and a lot of his problems are his teams problems had to do with the situation he was put it in. He is a poor man's Allen Iverson even a little bigger and more physical. He puts up better stats than play and that has gotten him in over his head since day one.

You can't go wrong for short money either way.
ARB729
Lead Assistant
And1: 17

Post#13 » by ARB729 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:48 am

Ha! And you all complained about Cassell...
formerly RedSoxFan729
EdSkae
Senior

Post#14 » by EdSkae » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:32 am

Marbury would be a better scorer off the bench for the Celtics then Maggette and at a much better price.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#15 » by Jammer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:32 am

The Marbury situation is complicated.

I read the quote with the hidden meaning "please cut Steph loose so he can play for us."

A definate message to Steph (what his friends call him, and one of my friends has played ball with Steph a number of times).

Marbury is not exactly a team player.

He doesn't like coming off the bench.
He doesn't like to be a decoy.
He doesn't like to move without the ball.

He likes to shoot.
He likes to dominate the ball by incessantly dribbling, waiting for his man to lose attentiveness over 7 seconds of Steph pounding his dribble.

He has a beautiful shot.
He likes to complain why he's not getting enough love, a few years ago he claimed that he was the best point guard in the East.

That might be the biggest problem, his penchant for complaining, and spoiling the mood, ruining the "Ubuntu."

It would take a bunch of guys sitting him down, and getting him "straight" as to his "role", before signing him (a non-guaranteed contract ?? - he'd never take it).

That's not as easy as it sounds, Steph can be dense.

When Isiah Thomas asked Steph to come off the bench, Steph told Isiah that he didn't know how, because he always started. He wasn't joking, he thought he could keep his starting position. Within a week or so of that exchange, the incident in Phoenix (Marbury flying home to NY) happened.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#16 » by campybatman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:23 am

This is too similar to the Cassell situation with the Clippers. Basically, Marbury would be an one season rental. But, Cassell wasn't making $21.9M in his last year. I'd read that Marbury wants to play for New York, so I can't see him and agent agreeing on a buyout. Because he doesn't want out that bad and New York likely prefers to trade him for value instead.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#17 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:50 am

Just a hunch, but if he somehow gets let out of his contract. He is ours. This will be rumored all summer, like the whole cassell situation last season.

I don't know, I hate cassell, and marbury is cassell with a little more talent. But, it would be a nice trait to pick up. Ya know. Kind of like what the pats (dynasty) does. Vets come here on the cheap to win a ring. That would be nice.
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,630

Post#18 » by knicksNOTslick » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:00 am

Jammer wrote:The Marbury situation is complicated.

I read the quote with the hidden meaning "please cut Steph loose so he can play for us."

A definate message to Steph (what his friends call him, and one of my friends has played ball with Steph a number of times).

Marbury is not exactly a team player.

He doesn't like coming off the bench.
He doesn't like to be a decoy.
He doesn't like to move without the ball.

He likes to shoot.
He likes to dominate the ball by incessantly dribbling, waiting for his man to lose attentiveness over 7 seconds of Steph pounding his dribble.

He has a beautiful shot.
He likes to complain why he's not getting enough love, a few years ago he claimed that he was the best point guard in the East.

That might be the biggest problem, his penchant for complaining, and spoiling the mood, ruining the "Ubuntu."

It would take a bunch of guys sitting him down, and getting him "straight" as to his "role", before signing him (a non-guaranteed contract ?? - he'd never take it).

That's not as easy as it sounds, Steph can be dense.

When Isiah Thomas asked Steph to come off the bench, Steph told Isiah that he didn't know how, because he always started. He wasn't joking, he thought he could keep his starting position. Within a week or so of that exchange, the incident in Phoenix (Marbury flying home to NY) happened

I would be pissed off too if I was gonna be benched for Mardy Collins for no apparent reason. Mardy Collins is garbage. The Knicks were only five games into the season and Isiah Thomas decides to mess with the lineup. Marbury shouldn't have flown back to NY though. That was his mistake. But he and Isiah had a feud that was off the court and it should've stayed that way. Well, technically, it was in a court or a courtroom, and Isiah got back at Marbury because he admitted under oath to having sex with the intern which hurt Isiah's case. There was more to it than just a coach asking his star player to come off the bench.
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#19 » by mr_sunshine » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:54 am

If Marbury wasn't a moron he would have won some 'ships with KG in Minny. Simple as that... that team was stacked, but Marbury couldn't set his ego aside.
buckner1976
Sophomore

Post#20 » by buckner1976 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:23 am

i think i just felt my skin crawl a little bit. if given the choice i think id rather have his cousin back to be honest.
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity..."

Return to Boston Celtics