ImageImageImage

Which troubled player do we bring in if we have to

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Which should we sign?

Darius Miles
24%
Ricky Davis
35%
Bonzi Wells
41%

Total votes: 17

Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Which troubled player do we bring in if we have to 

Post#1 » by Spin Move » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:40 am

We have a big gaping whole for a backup wing who can score and also for a guy who can defend the 3, which lockeroom cancer would you want most on the team and why? I think D miles physically is the best fit, but the biggest unkown coming of the injury. Bonzi underperformed last year, but he really could slide into the james posey role if he is not fat. Davis is the one who is most likley to put up huge scoring numbers for us but doesnt have the size to gaurd 3's (he is too skinny not too short) so which one if you had to choose one, no coping out and saying none.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,377

Re: Which troubled player do we bring in if we have to 

Post#2 » by threrf23 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:54 am

Not Bonzi Wells. IMO he brings us nothing we don't already have and thensome in Tony Allen.

DMiles is the more versatile better defender. Ricky is the better shooter by a long shot and is capable of playing good D at times, but is also more of a SG.

I'm inclined to endorse signing DMiles and Linton Johnson to small contracts if we can and letting the two of em fight it out for minutes.
Jimmy103
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Jimmy103 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:05 am

Kwame Brown?
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#4 » by Datruth345 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:29 am

Miles Or Wells

i'd honestly rather give walker minutes than sign one of them though
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#5 » by Rocky5000 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:48 am

Miles. Wells and Ricky are duplicated by players already on the team. Miles is much taller than both of those guys, and has shotblocking ability. He matches up better with players like Tayshaun and Turkoglu than the guys we have now. I don't think Miles would demand a lot of minutes, and has said publicly he's only seeking the minimum, with a team injury opt-out clause. You can't get a much lower risk contract than that. The only thing you have to do is sign the guy. If he gets injured during the season, cut him and pick up someone else.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,219

Post#6 » by TheSheriff » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:01 am

Miles.
dsorc
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#7 » by dsorc » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:18 am

Spin Move wrote:We have a big gaping whole for a backup wing who can score and also for a guy who can defend the 3, which lockeroom cancer would you want most on the team and why? I think D miles physically is the best fit, but the biggest unkown coming of the injury. Bonzi underperformed last year, but he really could slide into the james posey role if he is not fat. Davis is the one who is most likley to put up huge scoring numbers for us but doesnt have the size to gaurd 3's (he is too skinny not too short) so which one if you had to choose one, no coping out and saying none.

I disagree with the bolded part and think none of those three has a chance of being signed by us. I don't even think we'll sign anybody else beyond Giddens since all the minutes are pretty much accounted for.

That being said, Bonzi is the best out of those 3. Miles hasn't played in 2 years and was pretty much kicked out by his previous team. Davis has had issues with both Pierce and KG if I remember right. So that leaves Bonzi as the best of the worst so to speak.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#8 » by meatball sub » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:24 am

Kwame Brown.

If we're going to infect the NBA Champions with a disease, it might as well be a disease that has some potential.

On a serious note, I have no idea. Ricky as a 6th man is interesting but TA I think can play that role. I really don't see a need for any of these guys IMO.
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#9 » by TheCelticTruth » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:48 am

i wouldnt mind seeing ricky back if they thought he would buy in. he was more good than bad here, and he liked it in boston.

Sig by twolves4ever
Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC
"ubuntu"
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,950

Post#10 » by Bad-Thoma » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:50 am

I'll go with Miles, if only because he is the one with the least contract risk. He's got the length to be a disruptive defender on the perimeter also, but I never saw enough of his game to make a judgement about whether he could defend or not. I did love Ricky when he was here though, regardless of his alleged cancerous behavior he loved to play and played his heart out every night. Energy is a great thing off the bench. However, I think that ship sailed outta here a couple seasons ago.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#11 » by Spin Move » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:38 am

I was going to go with miles, but then I realized even though he is long, he cant hit a 3. we need both things, (whatever happend to brandon wallace btw? he actually fits the teams needs much better right now) Ricky is by far the best 3 point shooter of the bunch and we need that to space the floor, so if i had to choose baggage and all it would be tricky ricky.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#12 » by campybatman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:16 am

Spin Move wrote:We have a big gaping whole for a backup wing who can score and also for a guy who can defend the 3, which lockeroom cancer would you want most on the team and why? I think D miles physically is the best fit, but the biggest unkown coming of the injury. Bonzi underperformed last year, but he really could slide into the james posey role if he is not fat. Davis is the one who is most likley to put up huge scoring numbers for us but doesnt have the size to gaurd 3's (he is too skinny not too short) so which one if you had to choose one, no coping out and saying none.

Ugh. Neither. But, given what the team lost in Posey. I'll begrudgingly side with Wells. I'm uncertain of what happened to him in New Orleans and Houston. But, I recall that Wells once was at least a tremendous offensive talent. If he could somehow find his game again. He would've value to a contending team. Perhaps, it wasn't the right system for him or he was in the doghouse with the head coach. I don't know... But, his offensive punch is an asset on the Celtics bench. Ideally, you would want this from Tony Allen. But, the role of a back up shooting guard and small forward seems to be tailor fit for Wells, if he's healthy and motivated. However, the baggage that comes with him is what concerns me. You've to be prepared for that. Not to mention, he'll turn thirty-two before next season. Again, if his attitude is in check and his conditioning is where it should be. He's my choice.

Return to Boston Celtics