ImageImageImageImageImage

Kings vs Blazers

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

mobiuseinz
Analyst
And1: 8

Kings vs Blazers 

Post#1 » by mobiuseinz » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:00 am

The Portland Trail Blazers are starting to get some of what they expected from Greg Oden when they made the 7-footer the No. 1 pick in the 2007 draft. They can only hope Oden’s presence leads to more results like their latest victory.

Coming off their most lopsided win in 11 years, the Trail Blazers will kick off a brief two-game road trip on Friday against the Sacramento Kings, who are coming off their most impressive victory of the season.

Oden made his NBA debut on the road on opening night, then missed two weeks with a sprained foot before returning to Portland’s lineup last week during a five-game road trip.

After having a limited impact in his first game back, Oden has started to show signs of being a dominant presence in the paint for the Trail Blazers (7-5). He’s had three double-doubles in his last four games, during which he’s averaged 14.3 points, 9.7 rebounds and 3.0 blocks.

His latest double-double came Wednesday against Chicago, but Oden (11 points, 10 rebounds) was hardly the only Blazer to have a positive impact. Portland built a 16-point lead midway through the first quarter when Oden came into the game and didn’t slow down, routing the Bulls 116-74 for its largest margin of victory since beating Dallas 120-75 on Nov. 17, 1997.

“We’ve been waiting to get him here, and he did a great job,” said guard Brandon Roy, who had a team-high 20 points. “He’s a huge part of what we are trying to do.”

The Blazers are easing Oden back into action by bringing him off the bench, plus Joel Przybilla is doing an outstanding job as a starter. He went 6-for-6 and scored a season-high 14 points against Chicago, also grabbing nine rebounds and blocking three shots.

Przybilla is shooting 81.0 percent from the field (34-for-42) this season, but according to coach Nate McMillan, it’s his defense that makes the difference.

“I think Joel is setting a great example for what we want from a ‘big’ at the defensive end,” McMillan said. “It’s good for Greg to see that from Joel to get a good idea of what we want from him.”

The Kings (5-8) had dropped three in a row heading to New Orleans on Wednesday - including a 109-94 loss at Memphis the night before - and looked like they might be on the verge of their second four-game skid of the season. But Sacramento rallied to beat the Hornets 105-96 behind 29 points from John Salmons.

“Our guys showed great character tonight,” coach Reggie Theus said. “We played horrible last night, and we came back tonight and played with a lot of heart, a lot of pride.”

Salmons has stepped up in the absence of leading scorer Kevin Martin (22.4 points per game), averaging 18.8 points while shooting 50.8 percent from the field. Salmons has scored 26.0 points in his last three contests.

He may have to shoulder the load for a few more games as it appears Martin, who initially targeted Friday to return from his sprained right ankle, won’t be back until next week.

That news may also mean more playing time for Donte Greene. The rookie from Syracuse had played in just six games before Wednesday, scoring 13 total points, but he had 15 at New Orleans.

Sacramento has won its last three meetings with Portland.

By BRETT HUSTON, STATS Writer
Rugged Ron Ron
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Re: Kings vs Blazers 

Post#2 » by Rugged Ron Ron » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:03 am

very nice mobiuseinz
mobiuseinz
Analyst
And1: 8

Post#3 » by mobiuseinz » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:05 am

thanks, figured I keep it lively until a-rod is back.
element_88
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#4 » by element_88 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:09 am

i was at arden fair mall, john salmons was there i was juiced, but didnt wanna bug him, but it seemed he noticed me staring at him haha
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,499

Post#5 » by pillwenney » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:10 am

element_88 wrote:i was at arden fair mall, john salmons was there i was juiced, but didnt wanna bug him, but it seemed he noticed me staring at him haha

I saw Baron Davis at my local Hollywood Video the other day (I live in LA, and pretty close to the Clippers' new practice facility). It was funny because it was really quiet, and as soon as I saw him I very clearly and loudly whispered to myself "holy s**t!" He gave me an acknowledging nod as I passed him.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#6 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:01 am

mitchweber wrote:
element_88 wrote:i was at arden fair mall, john salmons was there i was juiced, but didnt wanna bug him, but it seemed he noticed me staring at him haha

I saw Baron Davis at my local Hollywood Video the other day (I live in LA, and pretty close to the Clippers' new practice facility). It was funny because it was really quiet, and as soon as I saw him I very clearly and loudly whispered to myself "holy s**t!" He gave me an acknowledging nod as I passed him.

Yeah, Baron is a very nice guy from what I hear.
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#7 » by Joseph17 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:06 am

Why isn't Martin back yet? Hasn't it been longer than 10 days?
DmoneyH3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#8 » by DmoneyH3 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:06 am

Is Kevin going to miss both of our games against each other in a 3 day span?
Joseph17
RealGM

Post#9 » by Joseph17 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:11 am

That reminds me of when I met Jamal Crawford at Circuit City. He caught me staring at him so I was forced to start a conversation with him. He even let me take a picture with him. It seems like the best way to meet players is to hang out near their practice facility. I was about 5 minutes away from the Knicks practice facility when I met him. He told me that he just finished practicing.
Joseph17
RealGM

Post#10 » by Joseph17 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:12 am

DmoneyH3 wrote:Is Kevin going to miss both of our games against each other in a 3 day span?

I hope he doesn't. I want to see him outplay Roy. :D
DmoneyH3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#11 » by DmoneyH3 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:39 am

joeyyowee wrote:
DmoneyH3 wrote:Is Kevin going to miss both of our games against each other in a 3 day span?

I hope he doesn't. I want to see him outplay Roy. :D

I don't think Santa grants early Christmas wishes :wink:
nolimit0820
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#12 » by nolimit0820 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:59 am

Beno looks like steve nash in that photo...what a tease
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 620

Post#13 » by sackings916 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:21 am

nolimit0820 wrote:Beno looks like steve nash in that photo...what a tease

:o
SacKings4evr
Sophomore

Post#14 » by SacKings4evr » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:53 am

What is the status on Martin? Is he going to play?
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#15 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:04 am

They said during the last game that Shapiro thinks both won't Garcia and Martin won't play until after the weekend. But never fear! Mikki Moore should be back for this one, hahaha.
jakjup216
Banned User

Post#16 » by jakjup216 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:28 pm

mitchweber wrote:

I saw Brandon Roy and LMA lay the pipe on Sactown!!!

lol..
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#17 » by KingInExile » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:55 pm

SacKings4evr wrote:What is the status on Martin? Is he going to play?

According to the Bee this morning, Martin, Garcia and Moore are all out for tonight. Moore may be back Sunday, Garcia could start practicing with the team again next week and no timetable is set for Martin yet.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#18 » by Milkdud » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:32 pm

GL tonight guys, I can't say I'm sad to see Martin out, the guy is a freaking monster and has got to be up there with the fastest first step in the game. Any of you guys know what the chances of him playing in the 2nd game for this blazers/kings matchup?
SactownHrtBrks8
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#19 » by SactownHrtBrks8 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:54 pm

Should be a fun game. Cant wait to see Thompson and Greene lets hope we bring the intensity
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#20 » by Cruel_Ruin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:43 pm

Milkdud wrote:GL tonight guys, I can't say I'm sad to see Martin out, the guy is a freaking monster and has got to be up there with the fastest first step in the game. Any of you guys know what the chances of him playing in the 2nd game for this blazers/kings matchup?

Thanks, good luck to you too. But not too much luck :)

Martin will be back in the middle of next week, possibly for the Portland game. But Garcia and Moore (blargh) will probably be back for the next game against these two teams.

Return to Sacramento Kings