ImageImageImage

Our defensive scheme/style

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Our defensive scheme/style 

Post#1 » by Flash3 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:55 am

We've always been a team that has protected the paint 1st, and the perimeter 2nd. But, this season more than ever it's becoming very noticeable that we are losing al ot of games because perimeter shooters are burning us more than ever. Somehow this defensive scheme we have right now of protecting the paint and having your 4 and 5 men rotate to cover the corner 3-pt shooters is killing us, as they are very slow to get out, and by the time we do get out to cover the shooter, the ball has already swung over to the open shooter.

Can we not adjust the scheme where we have our 3 man, who is more quicker/agile to run to the corner, cover the shooter, and have the 4 and 5 men rotate to that other player should he get the ball passed to him? Is it time for a change? Or, what?
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
WD
RealGM
And1: 3,228

Re: Our defensive scheme/style 

Post#2 » by WD » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:00 am

Might be too late to change(this year), as this system has been in place since Pat Riley got here. However, this would allow the players to play more instinctly, than trying to figure out who to cover after they leave their initial assignment.

We are using a lot of energy running out and then back to our man or to a position. hell UD don't even do it correctly anymore, he just waves or flares his arms at the opponent.

The biggest reason I see for the "player errors" is that you have players who may have never played this way, coming to our team and have to learn what some experts call "one of the most complicated schemes" in basketball. It just looks like wasted energy.

I have been looking for another team that does this, I thought SA did, but they don't
#HEATLifer
FlashTheKilla
Lead Assistant
And1: 64

Post#3 » by FlashTheKilla » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:56 am

While I do agree that the system needs a few modifications, it doesn't need them just yet. Changing our system now would probably hurt us more than it would benefit us. Having new assignments, new rotations, etc...is the last thing these players (especially rookies) need to be thinking now that we have playoffs on our mind. It sucks but we need to grind it out this season and I'm sure Spoelstra the video-man will review video and statistics in the offseason and make the necessary adjustments.

I think this offseason is gonna be huge. We will be a much improved team next season.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#4 » by Flash3 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:59 am

We can't change our defensive scheme mid-season, not now definitely not. But, going forward we need to adjust accordingly to the player's strengths/weaknesses.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#5 » by GameTime_3 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:25 am

It should of changed once we got J.O! Ive never seen the heat pack the lane like they are doing right now. I remmember where they would come close to the cup but not going all the way. I cant find one example of where, Chalmers next to the rim has helped. Chalmers will never get a rebound around the bigs or contest a shot that other wise would of been made. This system is a joke and its going to kill us down the road.
salqaddoumi
Lead Assistant
And1: 7

Post#6 » by salqaddoumi » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:41 am

If I hear Spoelstra say 'defensive disposition' one more ****ing time .... i'm going to break something.

We had 3 ****ing guys surrounding Josh Boone at one point tonight, what the hell is that? A JV team can figure out how to expose our garbage defense, just swing it around enough and you're going to get an open 3 no matter what.

What's funny about this entire thing is that we're 17th in the league in points in the paint given up so we're basically sacrificing all this 3pt shooting against us just to be a middle of the pack team in terms of points of the paint defense. Pathetic...
Dresta
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#7 » by Dresta » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:05 pm

It hurts our rebounding as well.
zinzindolf
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#8 » by zinzindolf » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:17 pm

Funny thing is that it is this broken defense Spo uses to decide who our best players are. GIGO. Garbage in, garbage out. It should come as no wonder that our garbage scheme determines that Haslem should start ahead of Beasley or that Diawarra and Cook should get featured more than Beasley.

Spo's coaching has been garbage on both sides of the court and it has made us neither a very good offensive team nor a very good defensive team whereas we have enough of the tools to be good at either one.

He should not be here after the summer!
SmushedPennies
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#9 » by SmushedPennies » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:19 pm

Spo's offensive and defensive coaching isn't far off, if at all, from Riley's. The whole system just sucks.

Regarding the D, I can copy and paste what I wrote about this on another board:

I agree. Our defensive system is totally unorthodox, and at best out-dated. It tries to funnel opposing players into certain areas instead of trying to stop them. This often ends up in easy floaters or kick outs for threes (wide open after the system's required rotations result in total collapse of the D.) Its possible the schemes can be effective if executed ideally, but players seem to have a very hard time grasping the concepts. Maybe only certain guys are suited for it. I can't really remember the last season where the team consistently executed the defense correctly. I'd be surprised if there isn't something new in place (Spoelstra-created perhaps?) within two or three seasons.
ImageImage
jrdy_rq
Senior
And1: 6

Post#10 » by jrdy_rq » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:23 pm

Say what you will but if Pat was still our coach
we would be a better team than we are currently
under Spoelstra. I can't see Spoelstra coaching this team after 2010.
Please Vote for Me (Scholarship):http://www.wyzant.com/scholarships/v2/essay13158-Lehigh_Acres-FL.aspx
SmushedPennies
Analyst

Post#11 » by SmushedPennies » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:35 pm

Did you watch last season? I understand Riley had a totally inferior cast of players to work with, but he made questionable decisions as well. All coaches do, to someone at least, because everyone has different opinions on how a teams should be managed. Spo is doing a great job considering his situation. Has he made clear mistakes? Absolutely. Does every coach, particularly their rookie year in a high-pressure situation? For sure. He's a great young basketball mind, and I hope/expect for him to be the coach here for the remainder of Dwyane's career. The only teams he's coached before were summer league rosters. Give the guy a chance to grow. Its not like we threw in Scott Skiles, Avery Johnson, or Larry Brown and we're out of the playoffs. We have an unproven coach, yet came close to getting homecourt despite that.
ImageImage
heat in italy
Senior
And1: 2

Post#12 » by heat in italy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:39 pm

I dont know about you guys, but a professional basketball player that get 5 Million a year, should learn pretty quickly how to understand a new deffensive scheme. For me, the way it is, was because we had to play Joel at center, and to protect that, we kind of let to outside guys have more oprtunity. But once JON arrived, that should have changed, and dont get me wrong, but this guys have played a lot of diferent deffensive styles in the past ,,, is it not THAT difficult ,,,
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#13 » by GameTime_3 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:56 pm

Can someone name a team where Mario Chalmers/Chris Quinn/Cook or any guard not named Wade, did something around the rim on defense. Last night Josh Boone was double by 3 people, which lead to a wide open 3? Why are we triple teaming Boone? The system worked when we had Marion but this team has a Center now and a good defensive center @ that. Please Spo, watch the film and realize that its not working. Spo is a smart guy, i know he'll correct it.
SmushedPennies
Analyst

Post#14 » by SmushedPennies » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:20 pm

Chalmers has had a few strips/blocks in the lane, but yeah, its whackity-whack
ImageImage
zinzindolf
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#15 » by zinzindolf » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:07 pm

GameTime_3 wrote:Can someone name a team where Mario Chalmers/Chris Quinn/Cook or any guard not named Wade, did something around the rim on defense. Last night Josh Boone was double by 3 people, which lead to a wide open 3? Why are we triple teaming Boone? The system worked when we had Marion but this team has a Center now and a good defensive center @ that. Please Spo, watch the film and realize that its not working. Spo is a smart guy, i know he'll correct it.

Haven't you people heard? It's all the players fault...not Spo's. Spo doesn't have to watch any games. He just needs better players from Riley.
dflash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 157

Post#16 » by dflash3 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:31 pm

GameTime_3 wrote:Can someone name a team where Mario Chalmers/Chris Quinn/Cook or any guard not named Wade, did something around the rim on defense. Last night Josh Boone was double by 3 people, which lead to a wide open 3? Why are we triple teaming Boone? The system worked when we had Marion but this team has a Center now and a good defensive center @ that. Please Spo, watch the film and realize that its not working. Spo is a smart guy, i know he'll correct it.

Because Boone is the next coming of Shaq. If we left him on single coverage he would have dropped 50 points on us with with a 70 fg%
jrdy_rq
Senior
And1: 6

Post#17 » by jrdy_rq » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:28 am

Idk what happened to our team after allstar break but we arent playing like we used to.....
Please Vote for Me (Scholarship):http://www.wyzant.com/scholarships/v2/essay13158-Lehigh_Acres-FL.aspx
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#18 » by HIF » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:19 am

zinzindolf wrote:

Haven't you people heard? It's all the players fault...not Spo's. Spo doesn't have to watch any games. He just needs better players from Riley.

Did you start supporting the Heat in Jan 09 or just register here then? Where were you before?
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#19 » by HIF » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:23 am

jrdy_rq wrote:Idk what happened to our team after allstar break but we arent playing like we used to.....

We had a great first half of the season and were playing above ourselves. Since the all star break we have also had a tougher schedule. We're still playing above our skill level we're just not winning so many.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:

Return to Miami Heat