ImageImageImage

QUESTIONABLE FOUL CALLS CONSISTENTLY HURT CELTICS

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

fullermd
Banned User
And1: 142

QUESTIONABLE FOUL CALLS CONSISTENTLY HURT CELTICS 

Post#1 » by fullermd » Mon May 11, 2009 12:10 pm

The question that I have is if it is just me that feels that the foul calls against Boston in comparison to their opposition, throughout the playoffs, have been disproportionant and have had a greater impact on Boston. It seems like the refs are out to help the other team win by attriting the Boston players that are having an impact on the game. Is there anyone out there that has this same prospective?
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Re: QUESTIONABLE FOUL CALLS CONSISTENTLY HURT CELTICS 

Post#2 » by Kefa461 » Mon May 11, 2009 12:24 pm

fullermd wrote:The question that I have is if it is just me that feels that the foul calls against Boston in comparison to their opposition, throughout the playoffs, have been disproportionant and have had a greater impact on Boston. It seems like the refs are out to help the other team win by attriting the Boston players that are having an impact on the game. Is there anyone out there that has this same prospective?

Welcome to my nightmare....... 8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#3 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon May 11, 2009 12:33 pm

The refs *do* try to take the C's out of games...witness them picking on Perk or Scal (especially game 3), hell even Pierce gets tagged with a lot of BS fouls...par for the course if you're a C's fan...
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Tricky Ricky
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Tricky Ricky » Mon May 11, 2009 12:38 pm

Eh Calls go both ways but that 5th foul on PP last night was terrible! YOU DONT CALL 5th or 6th FOULS on ticky tack plays and ticky tack might be going overboard describing that 5th call. Awful!
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
LenBiasBaller
Senior
And1: 2

Post#5 » by LenBiasBaller » Mon May 11, 2009 12:44 pm

Being an NBA ref is the hardest job. You have people that "think" certain calls should not be made on certain players at certain points of the game (i.e. at the end of a game or when a player has 4 or 5 fouls already). Then you have those that "think" those same fouls should be called at the end of games especially when it was caused by a star player like lebron who get "star" treatment.

To me the refs are in a lose lose situation. The NBA game is way too fast paced with too much contact to satisfy everyone. Also, it seems like unlike other sports a lot of times players have a tough time adjusting to the way officials are calling games.

It sucks and I'm just like everyone else who curses out the refs during games but this whole conspiracy theory against the Celtics is just crazy. Nobody is out to get us.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#6 » by Rocky5000 » Mon May 11, 2009 12:54 pm

Elsewhere, Lebron James has committed just 8 fouls in 7 playoff games.
spf211
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#7 » by spf211 » Mon May 11, 2009 12:57 pm

NBA refs are consistently bad with management double standards that makes them even worse.

I'm for going back to a two referee system and consent that, yes, some calls are going to be missed -- so players need to make plays. It seems the more refs on the court the more tentative and bad the calls are.

Of course, when bad refereeing happens that benefits the Celtics, it's a conspiracy.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#8 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon May 11, 2009 1:28 pm

Rocky5000 wrote:Elsewhere, Lebron James has committed just 8 fouls in 7 playoff games.

:nod: :roll:
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,698

Post#9 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon May 11, 2009 1:30 pm

The only consistent bias is for or against certain players.

Pierce doesn't get quite the favoritism that we'd like. In particular, he gets significantly less than Kobe or LBJ. Fortunately, Dwight Howard doesn't either.

Rondo gets treated quite well.

Perk and Davis get seriously gypped.

Ray gets treated pretty fairly -- but he gets nowhere near the favors that the comparable player Reggie Miller did.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#10 » by Rocky5000 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:32 pm

^ Mikki Moore must have done something incredibly bad to an NBA ref.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#11 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon May 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Rocky5000 wrote:^ Mikki Moore must have done something incredibly bad to an NBA ref.

That something bad is called "actually make it into the NBA"! :lol: :lol:
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#12 » by humblebum » Mon May 11, 2009 1:38 pm

The refs, like the players, scout all the players in the NBA. They know tendencies, pet moves, etc. They emphasize different things as part of their "game plan." And ultimately they simply miss calls or make up calls on plays that didn't even happen. It's a tough job, a thankless job which is exacerbated by some of the strange interpretations of rules and the easy to notice ball jockeying/hate of specific players.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Post#13 » by Red2 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:52 pm

last night was bad . Had we lost we would all be griping about the calls on Pierce as well as the non calls. How does Pierce go up for a shot and get hit by Turkolu with no call? How do they call Eddie for a block on that play when even the announcers said it was a charge. We got away with a goal tend on Rondo but every time Howard blocks a shot it's borderline goal tending. I also thought that Howard and their other center are constantly over the backs of our guys and we get no calls. Mikki Moore deserves every foul they call on him because he's just so freakin' stupid but a lot of the calls on Baby, Perk and Scal were not deserved. The NBA has a serious problems with poor officiating and they are unwilling to acknowledge. Wunderlich who is a horrible ref, cost Dallas a win by not calling a foul.
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Post#14 » by klemen4 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:58 pm

Rocky5000 wrote:Elsewhere, Lebron James has committed just 8 fouls in 7 playoff games.

Now tell me how can a guy be a first defensive nba team, playing aggressive great defense and be called for only 8 fouls in 7 games. This must be a joke...

He is so protected...I hate that
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#15 » by Athanacropolis » Mon May 11, 2009 2:47 pm

klemen4:

First, QFT.

Second, awesome sig! Name me another team without their best player that could win 62 games and be tied 2-2 in the second round of the playoffs? You think L.A. beats Utah without Kobe? Dallas beats San Antonio without Dirk? Cleveland or Orlando even make the playoffs without LeBron or Howard? I think not.
sweatdog
Sophomore

Post#16 » by sweatdog » Mon May 11, 2009 2:59 pm

I was an orlando magic fan for a few years (this was a decade ago so relax :)) and watched many of their games, and I always had the notion that the refs were biased against the magic. Now that im in love with the celtics I want to jump out off my couch or stool at every questionable foul call, even though I am a pretty mellow, although passionate, sports fan. Its difficult to escape the homer-esque viewpoint that real fans possess, and it doesnt make you a bad fan or a poor evaluator of game play, its completely normal behavior IMO. There have been alot of questionable calls no doubt about it but we know orlando fans are saying the same thing and you have to squash all the conspiracy theory and understand that by the end of a series, all the bad calls are practically a wash. BUT this is deff. a legitimate thread because we all know what an untimely bad call (or missed call) can do, ala Carmelos game winning 3 the other night vs dallas.

BTW, based on my rudely locked post from last night, isnt this the spitting image of a whiner thread that should be locked immediately? Or are the mods here just as biased towards posters as the alleged celtic-hating refs are with players?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=904120
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#17 » by sully00 » Mon May 11, 2009 3:41 pm

To sweatdog's point it is pretty much the same kind of thread though it at least is more general and this is a team game stop being so myopic.

Refs are a part of the game. I don't see us thanking them for not calling an obvious goal tend on Rondo that would have changed the game. I want players to make plays to win games not refs to make calls that win and lose games. I always prefer the no call to the call, with the other night in Dallas the obvious exception.

To be fair to the refs the reason we are so sensitive to questionable calls is that we have a startling lack of depth, it is not the referee's fault that Scal and Mikki back up Big Baby and Perk. If you heard the radio call with Grande and Max they said it best we were "clutching and grabbing," just trying to get to a decision last night. We are out manned and we are even in this series on something more than talent and ability.

The issue to me that I have a problem with is the pet calls. Refs know to look for moving screens against Boston so our bigs get hooked up for them all the time but Dwight Howard was rolling screens the entire 4th quarter and they just let it go. I don't care which way they do it let them do it or call it but do it the same no matter the name on the back of the jersey. At the same time I think Pierce and Ray get a lot of questionable calls in traffic that make up for the ones they don't get it.

In the end it is about Perk and the fact that he is standing toe to toe with Superman getting no love and we need him so bad right now. Give a brother a damn break, I want to see 35 mins of Perk vs Howard.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

Post#18 » by chakdaddy » Mon May 11, 2009 5:04 pm

The refs have seemed kind of ok to me this series; but that foul on Pierce was awful. I may be giving them a break because I've watched most of this series on blurry internet connections.

I kind of thought that our comeback in Game 1 was helped a lot by the refs. A borderline 8 second call falls under the kind of thing you don't call in a close playoff game. (I hate the 8 second rule, it should be 10 - with real pressure you can come close to forcing 8 seconds every time). The same kind of thing that helped us blow the lead in game 2 of the finals - everyone relaxes, refs start helping the other team, and before you know it the game is close again.
Sever82
Veteran
And1: 47

Post#19 » by Sever82 » Mon May 11, 2009 5:28 pm

Ha ha this topic can't be serious. You mean you're complaining about fouls when you guys have been given a pass on so many non-calls. When rondo drives to the hoop throws up the ball in the air with not even being touched and gets a foul called. Give me a break, behind Cleveland, i think you guys should be the team least complaining about calls.
Frank Vogel (Pacer's Coach) on Derrick Rose: "Iverson's Speed, Jason Kidd's Vision, Chauncey Billups Shot and Michael Jordans Athleticism."
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#20 » by sully00 » Mon May 11, 2009 6:01 pm

Well to show you how in outer feakin' space you are on that

The Cav's have attempted 94 more FT's and called for 97 less fouls than their opponent this postseason.

The Celtics have taken 26 less FTA and been called for 6 more fouls.

The Magic on the other hand have taken 42 more FTA and been called for 31 fewer fouls.

Return to Boston Celtics