ImageImageImage

Philadelphia 76ers Off-Season:Free Agency

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Philadelphia 76ers Off-Season:Free Agency 

Post#1 » by PhilasFinest » Thu May 28, 2009 10:22 pm

instead of going off topic on draft threads or trade threads id like to get some thoughts on players that we'd all like the 76ers to poss nab via FA.

I kno we basically have the MLE and then only room to probably net vet min contracts but hey we dont have much to talk about besides our slow moving coaching carousel and the 1 pick in the draft. Post your possible Royal Ivey,Kareem Rush,Theo ratliff,Marshall type additions to the roster this year and also poss summer league teamers and D league call ups.

Needs:
Backup Center,SG/SF,PG. A shooter would also very be nice.

MLE Possibilities?:
Kyle Korver
Rodney Carney
Flip Murray
Anthony Parker
Wally Sczerbiak
Von Wafer

Min FA:
PG Marcus Williams-we should have drafted him over carney.a stefanski pick, left NJ for GS and never found a fit in Nellies guard heavy rotation.SOlid True PG skills, showd some signs of being able to contribute in NJ when KIdd was hurt...could be worth a serious look with miller leaving imo even with a rookie coming in.

Mikki Moore
Gerald Green
Nick Fazekas
Devean George
CJ Watson
Adonal Foyle
Steve Novak
Brain Skinner
Luther Head
Jamall maglorie
Damon Jones
Morris ALmond
Stromile Swift
Brevin Knight
Ime Udoka

D-Leaguers poss worth a 1 yr min deal or Summer invite:

1.Courtney Sims-a long 6'11 C. attended michigan. avg 22 and 11 in the dleague. had a call up with the Knicks and Suns.Could be a backup 5

2.Dwayne Jones-6'10 250 played breifly with the Cavs n Magic. went to St Joes, this past season avg 15 and 12 and 1.5 in the D League.could poss be a backup 5

3.Demetrius Nichols-former syracuse star. can shoot the 3 ball and shot mid/high 30's % wise from 3 in d league.had call ups with NYK and Bulls.plays more the 3 than anything but could be a shooter off the bench

4.Maureece Rice-Local product from Mansion high school in north philly set teh public league scoring record. i believe was given some type of poss invite last year. 6'1 stocky pg has deep shooting ability. avg 18 4 and 4 in the DLG this past year and shot the ball from 3 pretty well .379 %could be worth a summer league invite and turn out to be the 3rd pg and a shooter off the pine but with Lou,Ivey and a likely rookie PG might not have a spot.

5.Saer Sene-7 footer from Senegal. former lottery pick from seattle. Not a high IQ but an athletic 7 footer with great shot blocking ability.

6.Josh Davis-actually played for us awhile back. although hes 29-30 had played pretty well in the DLG.
a 6-9 f/C avg 18 and 7 this past year in the D with shooting % of 37 from 3 (at laeast 4 attempts per gm) 48 fg and 87 FT.

7.Dermarr Johnson-6'9 SG. had stints with severall NBA teams, most recently DEN. was hurt in a car crash a few years ago but still a solid athlete. can hit the 3 but his jumper had gotten somehwat inconsistent

thoughts and additions....
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Re: Philadelphia 76ers Off-Season:Free Agency 

Post#2 » by PhilasFinest » Thu May 28, 2009 11:21 pm

Im Drafting Lawson or Mills at 17
MLE on Anthony Parker or Kyle Korver
Min Contract Signings: Marcus Williams,Courtney Sims or Saer Sene,Gerald Green
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,991

Post#3 » by ankle420breaker » Fri May 29, 2009 3:59 am

I'm with you on Parker/Korver. If we could lure either of back to Philly it would be HUGE. I like the idea of signing both Marcus Williams and/or Gerald Green as low risk, high reward guys. Udoka and Brevin Knight are solid perennial NBA reserves.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#4 » by LongLiveHinkie » Fri May 29, 2009 4:09 am

I'll take Flip Murray. Good bench scorer.
76erFixer
Bench Warmer
And1: 17

Post#5 » by 76erFixer » Fri May 29, 2009 6:59 am

2 guys who I wouldnt mind are barnes and ariza, both not yet mentioned. Ariza has proven to be a defensive asset and I liked barnes hustle when he was here, and he improved his shooting ALOT since then
76erFixer
Bench Warmer
And1: 17

Post#6 » by 76erFixer » Fri May 29, 2009 7:04 am

83SixersRocked
Head Coach
And1: 609

Post#7 » by 83SixersRocked » Fri May 29, 2009 12:26 pm

Parker... Then Brevin Knight, Devean Georga, and Skinner. Probably the best we can do... if those last
3 can be had for the minimum.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,952

Post#8 » by Foshan » Fri May 29, 2009 12:52 pm

I wouldn't mind signing CJ Watson or M.Williams just to add some competition to our PG spot.
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#9 » by SouthJersey » Fri May 29, 2009 1:10 pm

Like Parker, I think he's a little more versatile then Korver. Watson or Williams would be goood as well. Ed needs to avoid the Kareem Rush type of signings
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#10 » by PhilasFinest » Fri May 29, 2009 1:19 pm

if ariza isn't resigned then I'd be all for him but in almost positive the lakers will resign him

Parker isn't as good a shooter as korver but could start over willie green IMO and bring a solid shooter to the lineup and I love the idea of marcus Williams added as as backup pg, at least he knows how to play the position and would be an upgrade over ivey off the bench
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#11 » by doctor him » Fri May 29, 2009 4:54 pm

I'm a "radicalist" so with that in mind I:

Free agency targets: None. Fallbacks Carney & CJ Watson in absence of trades below

I'm not sure Watson can start, but I'm sure he can back up. And I prefer Carney over Korver because even though Korver can shoot he can't guard me and he can't play the 2 even a little. I need to get a backup who can play some 2 because...

Trade: Iguodala to Portland for Fernandez, Webster & Outlaw

Yeah...it's a talent downgrade, but as much as I like Iguodala he's playing out of positon at the 2 and eating up a healthy chunk of cap space. I'm valuing the flexibility as much as getting a young 2 guard in Fernandez who I think would be terrific getting 30+ minutes a night

Trade: Dalembert to OKC for Collison and Watson

This is about the very best we're gonna do for Sammy who I think out on the prairie would end up having a very nice year just to spite all of us. But there's some more salary flexibility here for 2010. Not enough to do anything major, but enough to maybe to something useful.

Draft @ 17: Eric Maynor

Everything I've heard and seen of this kid says that he's mature and close to NBA ready as any of the points in the draft. I think he's big enough to defend, talented enough to create, smart enough to "play the right way" even though he forced it some at VCU.

That gives us the following roster

1 - Watson / Maynor / Williams
2 - Fernandez / Williams / Green
3 - Young / Outlaw / Webster
4 - Speights / Smith / Outlaw
5 - Brand / Collison / Evans

Yes I know that team isn't as good as the team this year which was mediocre by definition. But it is a team with a future. It's young enough and talented to get significantly better in 2 years. It's the type of team that'll fight for the 8th see with the Pistons and the Nets and the Raptors next season, but is that really worse than being locked into the #6/#7 seed with no hope of getting too much better?

After next season the major contracts are Brand and Williams and if you can find me a place to ship him I'd do it. Evans and Green become expirings and the could fetch something very useful.

It's a plan that punts 2009-2010 in the hopes of 2010-2011 will be what we thought 2008-2009 was supposed to be.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#12 » by Foshan » Fri May 29, 2009 7:35 pm

doc, I would be fine with most of those moves, except that i think you are selling Iggy too short.

If Iggy is going to portland more is coming back. Namely Batum and a pick (even if its a 2nd)

So Iggy---> Rudy/Batum/Outlaw + #32 (sergio llull leave him overseas for a year) Outlaw is a 1 and done player here, but Rudy will be a starter for a long time and Batum a solid back up defensive stopper at the 3. Webster has been injured too long to be a key peice in the iggy deal.
doctor him
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by doctor him » Fri May 29, 2009 7:50 pm

Foshan wrote:doc, I would be fine with most of those moves, except that i think you are selling Iggy too short.

If Iggy is going to portland more is coming back. Namely Batum and a pick (even if its a 2nd)

So Iggy---> Rudy/Batum/Outlaw + #32 (sergio llull leave him overseas for a year) Outlaw is a 1 and done player here, but Rudy will be a starter for a long time and Batum a solid back up defensive stopper at the 3. Webster has been injured too long to be a key peice in the iggy deal.

If you can get Batum instead of Webster or Outlaw then I'd be happier with that.

But if there's one thing that "negociating" with my wife teaches me is that sometimes you have to sell a little short to get the thing done.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#14 » by Foshan » Fri May 29, 2009 7:55 pm

lol, yeah i know that feeling. However Por is supper high on Webster (well batum too) but i think that they'd want Webster to back up iggy at the 3 (and he can play the 2)... But i think Batum has to come back, his offensive game is pretty low, but he's a great defender, and would really make up for losing Iggy when it comes to needing to lock down a 1-3 player.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#15 » by LongLiveHinkie » Fri May 29, 2009 9:41 pm

I think if we signed Murray, he would take Lou's place as the #1 bench scorer. Then we could trade Lou for a shooter. I want Lou gone. He can't shoot for the life of him.
doctor him
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by doctor him » Fri May 29, 2009 10:03 pm

Westbrook36 wrote:I think if we signed Murray, he would take Lou's place as the #1 bench scorer. Then we could trade Lou for a shooter. I want Lou gone. He can't shoot for the life of him.

Lou can shoot. He had a couple stretches where he lost his stroke for 4-5 games at a time, but I think Lou would be just fine as a 3rd guard. I could move Lou and be happy for 3 reasons:

1. His contract. If he's not starting (and I can't see how you start him and expect to win) then he's a luxury on a mediocre team.

2. His defense. Andre Miller is old and a little tired. I could understand his matador defense, but for a player as quick and active on offense as Lou, I can't stomach how flatfooted and lethargic he is on defense.

3. His attitude. This is speculation on my part so please take with a grain of salt. I have the feeling that Lou wants to be Iverson on the court. That he wants his game to be what Allen's was. If that's the case...let him do it elsewhere.

Lou can be a really nice player for a contender. Play 25 minutes and average 12 points type. If he defended too then I'd keep him for sure. Now I'm in the "make me an offer" mindset for Lou.

And...please...for the love of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ...keep him away from the starting point guard role for my team. Thank you.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#17 » by LongLiveHinkie » Fri May 29, 2009 10:18 pm

Lou was the team's worst 3 point shooter last year. It may have been a fluke year, but I don't know if I buy that. Stats usually lie, but not in this case. He was a dreadful shooter this season.
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#18 » by PhilasFinest » Fri May 29, 2009 10:20 pm

Lou wasnt teh teams WORST 3pt shooter...but he often took very very poor shots from 3 and also other places on teh court.

Im pretty much done with Lou...his UPSIDE was great when he was a 2nd yr player outta high school...but honestly i dont see him changing his game much....id move him for something in a heartbeat...

BUT the 76ers are rumored to still be high on him...and i dont mean on drugs. and think he can poss run the pg. GL with that
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#19 » by PhilasFinest » Fri May 29, 2009 10:22 pm

Also...Flip Murray is my 3rd pick behing Parker and KK as poss MLE signings.
Murray really played well in the playoffs scoring.Hes gota solid mid range jumper and can hit the 3 as well. Id prefer Parker just because of size and 3pt shooting.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#20 » by LongLiveHinkie » Fri May 29, 2009 10:22 pm

Statistically he was the worst I believe.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers