Image ImageImage Image

Boozer wants 5yr/$80 million, Gordon likely in Detroit...

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,050

Boozer wants 5yr/$80 million, Gordon likely in Detroit... 

Post#1 » by bstein14 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:21 am

From Keith Langlois, who is the closest Media Personality to Dumars in Detroit.

He writes for the teams www.nba.com/pistons website

Langlois: The only way I see Turkoglu coming is if they had a deal in place for Prince to address the middle. If not, I think Portland will do its best to make a play for Turkoglu. The few extra million the Blazers cleared on draft night might help. If not Portland, perhaps Toronto will try to find a way to get him. As for Boozer, if the numbers that have been floated by his camp – five years and roughly $80 million – are accurate, then there is almost zero chance he’d wind up here. Ben Gordon is the most likely free-agent addition, I believe, which is why Orlando’s trade for Vince Carter and subsequent admission that it probably couldn’t afford to keep Turkoglu could be good news for the Pistons. Rather than make a play for Chicago’s Kirk Hinrich – a move that could enable the Bulls to retain Gordon – Portland might instead target Turkoglu.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Re: Boozer wants 5yr/$80 million, Gordon likely in Detroit... 

Post#2 » by BrooklynBulls » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:22 am

Faaaantastic.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#3 » by Rerisen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:25 am

I don't think Gordon alone does much to help that Detroit team. I have no idea what Dumars is doing if that is his only big signing.

He can't possibly be as dumb as to be seeing his backcourt as anything like the Bad Boy Pistons with Gordon in the Microwave role. His team is nowhere close to the level to where it should be thinking about adding the championship 3rd guard or 6th man as the top priority.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,050

Post#4 » by bstein14 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:28 am

Perhaps he's got a trade lined up to move one of RIP/PRINCE for a big...

Or perhaps he goes after Gordon + one of Odom/Millsap/Lee, etc.

He's got about $18 mil in capspace so if he starts Gordon at $8 he's got $10 to start another FA.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Rerisen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:31 am

I can see wanting out of Rip's deal, geez 4 more years at 12 million+. And he is starting to fall off already. But I wonder who would want to bite on that.
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#6 » by Shill » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:31 am

I used to think Dumars was a really shrewd GM, but now I'm starting to wonder.

I suppose his plan is to team up Gordon with Stuckey and move Rip.

/shrugs shoulders
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
bdiddy04
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#7 » by bdiddy04 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:38 am

Come on Portland, take Kirk dammit.
Luol Deng's contract is a cancer eating at the Bulls.
lou4gehrig
Banned User

Post#8 » by lou4gehrig » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:39 am

Shill4Tyrus24 wrote:I used to think Dumars was a really shrewd GM, but now I'm starting to wonder.

I suppose his plan is to team up Gordon with Stuckey and move Rip.

/shrugs shoulders

Darko over Carmelo
Darko over DWade
Darko over Bosh

Dumars = overrated.

Man if Gordon is their starting SG, our SG is going to torch them game in and game out. I hope it's DWade... wow.
mjaye
Pro Prospect
And1: 10

Post#9 » by mjaye » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:42 am

I don't think Gordon alone does anything either, but he will be in his prime for the length of his contract. If you go with core complimentary pieces of Gordon/Bynum/Maxiell/Stuckey for the long-run, the Pistons will still have enough cap flexibility next year to add an all-star (possibly two). You've then reassembled a solid playoff team with only one down year. Not so different from what the Bulls have been trying to accomplish.
The Big Dog
Lead Assistant
And1: 31

Post#10 » by The Big Dog » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:44 am

Why did he resign Rip so soon? He had two years left on his contract. The only reason I can think of is Dumars was desperately trying to keep up team morale, but that's a lot of money to do so.
"I have not so strong body." - Jonas Valanciunas on why his game is similar to Chris Bosh's.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Rerisen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:44 am

Gordon and Stuckey are a pretty undisciplined backcourt as a combo. Stuckey takes too many shots for how poor of an offensive player he is.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#12 » by MrSparkle » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:52 am

Dumars will play his cards right. Random prediction here, but I can see him making out with big contracts for Gordon and Millsap (not Boozer, Dumars doesn't overpay for declining talent), and a more MLE-range deal for another RFA big, like Gortat. Makes sense to retain the veteran Hamilton/Prince/McDyess tandem. It'll keep them winners.

Call me crazy, but I feel IF Dumars picks up BG, Detroit will (successfully) groom him into a PG. I've been wondering in my head... Why these BG/Detroit rumors? They've been so persistent, got to be some truth to them. Well, why the hell BG when they've got Stuckey/Hamilton? Well, it makes perfect sense to me when you consider couple things.

1) Michael Curry wants to make Detroit a defense-first team again. This would enable him to start BG at point, sacrificing creative ball-movement in favor of a very strong defense with many capable shooters to space the floor.

2) Stuckey has been slightly over-rated, and Detroit prob realized this last season. He is very good, but not an inked, sure-fire all-star PG. A versatile, good role-player guard. Hamilton is a proven capable all-star talent. Gordon is a young, border-line all-star. You start your best players.

3) Detroit/Dumars simply have a (brief but strong) history of taking awkward players who had a hard time finding a job in the NBA, and giving them a chance to shine. Billups had a decent late run with the T-Wolves in the playoffs, but I don't think ANYONE expected to him to become such a well-rounded all-star PG. Hamilton was a loser in DC. He banked on Big Ben's defense to get by his massive liabilities on offense. I have a strong hunch BG is next. He is improved as a defender at the TWO-SPOT, put him at one, and he has a huge strength advantage over a lot of guys. Can post up and bruise. Obviously score. Has shown impressive passing. Hell, he dramatically improved his (dumb) turnover rate this year. Don't recall seeing as many balls bounce off his foot, or him tumbling over his feet- it happened, but far less than before. Give him a full year of burn at PG, and he might be the next Billups.

Gordon / Stuckey/ Bynum
Hamilton / Afflalo
Prince / Daye / Summers
Millsap / Maxiell / Sharpe
Gortat / McDyess / Oberto / Brown

:dontknow:
PJ Brown
Lead Assistant
And1: 84

Post#13 » by PJ Brown » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:55 am

I think we're burying the lead. The story isn't whether Gordon to Detroit is smart for the Pistons, it's that it's bad for the Bulls.

Not that I trust this source any more than any others, but this is a dreadful scenario for the Bulls, one where Kirk to Portland is out, which essentially facilitates Gordon to Detroit. That's the story. I don't think Detroit should over-bid for Gordon, but I fear thay may.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Rerisen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:56 am

MrSparkle wrote:Gordon / Stuckey/ Bynum
Hamilton / Afflalo
Prince / Daye / Summers
Millsap / Maxiell / Sharpe
Gortat / McDyess / Oberto / Brown

:dontknow:

Gordon's stats as a full time PG could be pretty interesting. Especially playing in the same division as Rose. :-?
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#15 » by Flames24Rulz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:22 am

The Bulls deserve to have Gordon torch them for 40 a game every time we play the Pistons if this happens. Unreal.

Glad to see the management that acquired Salmons and Miller for trash was a one-time only thing. Now, in the words of Denny Green, the GarPax management is back to what we thought they were; crap. This is going to disgust me to no end if we not only let Gordon go for nothing but let him go to Detroit as well.
Ajosu
Head Coach
And1: 103

Post#16 » by Ajosu » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:26 am

lou4gehrig wrote:Darko over Carmelo
Darko over DWade
Darko over Bosh

Dumars = overrated.

Don't forget Iverson over Billups!
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#17 » by logical_art » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:47 am

To me its pretty clear that Dumars is just bidding up the signing price of a key piece of a division rival.

Doesn't make sense for them to sign him.
holyboy2009
Junior

Post#18 » by holyboy2009 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:01 am

We should resign gordon if it's for the same deal that was offered as was last year at five or six years at roughly 50 million. It's a great deal. I dont think we'll be able to sign Wayde, his first choice is Miami, he explicitly said that in his interview. Secondly, we are trying to get Bosh. So I think we'll be fine with Ben, Salmons, Johnson, Deng, Bosh, Noah, Miller, Gibson, and perhaps even Tyrus on our team. And who ever else... Our target isn't DWayde I dont think. But rather bosh.
I think we will sign Ben because Gar explicitly said that is what he intends to do. I dont think Ben wants to go to Detroit anyway. It's the Pits there. If Kirk goes to Portland, which is a good possibility, we'll also have Blake and Outlaw as well. Blake has taken Portland to the PLayoffs. So we'll have some experience there. I think we'll do okay. We also have that Demarcus Nelson guy. So who knows. He averaged almost 20 points a game in the D League. Hopefully he's ready to contribute.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,893

Post#19 » by nomorezorro » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:04 am

all this article is saying is that, if boozer wants insane money, gordon is a more likely pickup in free agency. no number on what they're going to offer him. no word on what the bulls are willing to pay him. it's nothing more than the author reaching a logical conclusion based on the knowledge that boozer wants to get paid and gordon is a target of the pistons. not much new information, i don't think
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#20 » by Flames24Rulz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:16 am

logical_art wrote:To me its pretty clear that Dumars is just bidding up the signing price of a key piece of a division rival.

Doesn't make sense for them to sign him.

I wish that were the case but at this point, that seems pretty unlikely.

There's too much smoke. I was pretty confident we were going to re-sign Ben, but I don't see how that's going to happen now. I hope I'm wrong more than anything though.

Return to Chicago Bulls