ImageImageImageImage

this team desperately need defense guard

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicVince
Sophomore
And1: 0

this team desperately need defense guard 

Post#1 » by MagicVince » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:08 pm

I am tired of this board saying Nelson can play defense !!!!
He constantly get blown by opposing PG !!!

And who is guarding Lebron last night ? Barnes ?
If it is Barnes, I would rather trade him for Antoine Wright
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Re: this team desperately need defense guard 

Post#2 » by Hilltop » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:23 pm

Give Colangelo a call, he might consider.
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#3 » by doct3r dr3 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:55 pm

:wave:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Hilltop » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:01 pm

MagicVince wrote:He constantly get blown by opposing PG !!!

We may have been losing games, but Jameer Nelson isn't gay. Stop that right now :nonono:
pinoynurse
Rookie
And1: 355

Post#5 » by pinoynurse » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:05 pm

he can.. for the nth time, have patience

last year we were a great defensive team even when nelson was our starting pg... if you also look back at 2 yrs ago when we faced the raptors in the playoffs, he more than held his own against jose calderon and tj ford..

i repeat....patience.
From strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail.
Big A All Day
Head Coach
And1: 678

Post#6 » by Big A All Day » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:56 pm

MagicVince wrote:I am tired of this board saying Nelson can play defense !!!!
He constantly get blown by opposing PG !!!

And who is guarding Lebron last night ? Barnes ?
If it is Barnes, I would rather trade him for Antoine Wright

No Disrespect but your name is MagicVince and u have 33 posts. This doesn't mean you just starting watching the magic this season but you did just join the board and start a nelson hate thread... Nelson was a all star last year and he has worked hard to get back from the shoulder injury give the dude his props. It does suck Mo Williams was shooting like jordan in 96 playoffs last night but i've been a magic fan for a long time and we've had alot of bad teams but this is isn't one of them.
Potterman
Lead Assistant
And1: 35

Post#7 » by Potterman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:08 pm

doct3r dr3 wrote:Image

:wave:

We could really use that kid on the left! What was his name again? Tiny Tayshaun? I dont recall.....
:rockon: DEFCON - FIRESALE ON THE MAGIC! :rockon:
Magicalltheway
Analyst
And1: 134

Post#8 » by Magicalltheway » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:48 pm

Jameer is not the problem, our other guard is the problem. If you look all of Mo's shots were off of screens. No pgs can guard that, it is the responsibility of the following guard to put a hand up until Jameer recovers to his position. Jameer was a very solid defender last season and the Tornont games that Pino mentioned were perfect example. He almost handled and outplayed both of them combined. So I urge patience.
BassMaster
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#9 » by BassMaster » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:02 pm

Magicalltheway wrote:Jameer is not the problem, our other guard is the problem. If you look all of Mo's shots were off of screens. No pgs can guard that, it is the responsibility of the following guard to put a hand up until Jameer recovers to his position. Jameer was a very solid defender last season and the Tornont games that Pino mentioned were perfect example. He almost handled and outplayed both of them combined. So I urge patience.

And yet most of Mo's shots were taken right in front of meer the size difference hurt him. Mo Williams was just shooting over his out stretched hands. And this was not the first game where this happened. He had the same problem with Felton as well. The list goes on.

He is not playing like he did last year. Maybe the other pgs have realized that it's easier to just shoot over him.

No more excuses he has to start showing up and playing like he did last year.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#10 » by Cigamodnalro » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:03 pm

We know what we get with Jameer, and we know he's not a great defender. However, it is Otis's responsibility to put a defensive PG behind him. If Jameer can trade baskets with the other team's PG, that's alright (he couldn't with Mo last night). However, when we have a net loss at PG, it would be nice to have a high octane defender to put in behind Jameer. Even someone like Gabe Pruitt would be better than what we've been getting out of JWill and AJ.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#11 » by magicfan4life05 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:07 pm

I made this post back in preseason in response to lelievre regarding the pg position

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=948870&start=225

magicfan4life05 wrote:
lelievre wrote:IT's good to hear some other points of view on our roster. I am most nervous about our PG situation, cause Barnes had a really good game in the first pre-season I think, so he'll come around.

agreed

IMO the most important thing was on the defensive end. I'm not worried about nelson and jwill on offense, I think they'll be fine/great there. But on defense, whoever jwill was guarding was having his way and penetrating. Regarding nelson, we all know he plays his heart out on D, but that size advantage that other guards will have on him is there, and the smart players will take advantage.

I remember in 2006, when miami got jwill, Pat Riley made it a BIG POINT to have jwill in to start the game, and have him there in the 4th qtr for offense, but in the last 2 mins or so, he'd bring in Payton and that's why he signed him, to make up for Jwill's D. (and this was jwill in 2006)

So I'm not saying Williams is gonna play late in the 4th qtr, but just give everyone the idea about what a championship coach did to handle his PG situation defensively. I think it's going to be something to watch for this season if an explosive PG is going off on nelson/jwill, how will SVG react? put barnes on him? it'll be interesting to see...

I wouldn't say it's a HUGE area of concern, but definitely something to keep your eye on...
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Magicalltheway
Analyst
And1: 134

Post#12 » by Magicalltheway » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:32 pm

BassMaster wrote:
Magicalltheway wrote:Jameer is not the problem, our other guard is the problem. If you look all of Mo's shots were off of screens. No pgs can guard that, it is the responsibility of the following guard to put a hand up until Jameer recovers to his position. Jameer was a very solid defender last season and the Tornont games that Pino mentioned were perfect example. He almost handled and outplayed both of them combined. So I urge patience.

And yet most of Mo's shots were taken right in front of meer the size difference hurt him. Mo Williams was just shooting over his out stretched hands. And this was not the first game where this happened. He had the same problem with Felton as well. The list goes on.

He is not playing like he did last year. Maybe the other pgs have realized that it's easier to just shoot over him.

No more excuses he has to start showing up and playing like he did last year.

You missed the part where I said pgs come off of screens, Jameer gets stuck behind a screen. Whom ever is covering the screener has to be very alert to stand him up until Jameer can catch up. They have not been doing that and Mo took alot of in between shots. That is not Jameers fault.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#13 » by KingRobb02 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:17 pm

And you missed the part where Mo Williams was taking pull up jumpers right over Jameer with no screen.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#14 » by Cammo101 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:24 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:And you missed the part where Mo Williams was taking pull up jumpers right over Jameer with no screen.

Agreed. Jameer was in front of him most of the time, he just shot over him. Mo won't make those shots most games though.

Jameer is an average defender at best. We knew this already. Howard makes all our defenders look better.
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,770

Post#15 » by GameOver25 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:42 pm

Just trying to put things into perspective here. This is more of a opinion based question. Which team would have the better record after 10 games with the starting lineups:

2008:

C Howard
PF Battie
SF Turk
SG Lee
PG Nelson

2009:

C Howard
PF Bass
SF Barnes
SG Carter
PG Nelson

I think the 2009 team would have the better record IMO. It kinda shows how important that 4 spot is for us.
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,770

Post#16 » by GameOver25 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:43 pm

Oooops I guess this question could have went into one of the other threads...... sorry!!
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#17 » by magicman123 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:48 pm

did anybody see this guy run right by jameer for a layup last night..? :wink:

Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Hilltop » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:03 pm

I heard this guy did it too:

magicman123
RealGM

Post#19 » by magicman123 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:22 pm

yep i seen him,this guy dunked on him too....

magicman123
RealGM

Post#20 » by magicman123 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:23 pm

yea i was mad just like everyone else, but lets just relax and not jump off the edge, its still very early...

Return to Orlando Magic