VS.

Roy Oswalt 0-2, 6.23 era
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Re: Reds (4-4) @ Astros (2-6) April 17-20 

Post#2 » by el loco » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:41 am

The Reds have 4 starters hitting below .200 on the season.
Ramon Hernandez .174
Edwin Encarnacion .167
Jay Bruce .167
Alex Gonzalez .053, he is 1 for 19 to start the season. We waited 2 years for this?
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by el loco » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:16 pm

Game One Preview:

By DAN PIERINGER, STATS Writer

Houston Astros ace Roy Oswalt came into this season as the leader of a patchwork starting rotation, but he’s still looking for his first win of the year. The veteran right-hander has to like his chances going into a series against the Cincinnati Reds.

Oswalt looks to improve to 24-1 lifetime against the Reds by winning his ninth straight start against them as the NL Central rivals open a four-game set Friday night in Houston.

Houston (3-6) expects a lot out of Oswalt in part because the rotation behind him consists of Wandy Rodriguez, journeyman Brian Moehler, injury-plagued Mike Hampton and Russ Ortiz, who was out of baseball last season while recovering from surgery on his pitching arm.

Brandon Backe, 9-14 with a 6.05 ERA last season, will also be in the mix once he returns from a stint on disabled list due to a strained rib cage muscle.

Oswalt (0-2, 6.23 ERA) hasn’t delivered yet this season. He gave up three runs in seven innings of an opening-day loss to the Chicago Cubs before getting reached for six runs in six innings of an 11-2 defeat at St. Louis on Saturday.

“It doesn’t matter if I gave up the first run, I feel like I was trying to pitch for innings after that, instead of just pitching,” Oswalt told the Astros’ official Web site. “When you try to be perfect, you give up more runs than you normally do.”

Oswalt has been close to perfect in his career against the Reds (4-4). He’s 23-1 with a 2.47 ERA in 28 career games—26 starts—against them, including 8-0 with a 2.39 ERA in eight starts since he suffered his lone loss in Cincinnati on April 28, 2006.

Oswalt has held the Reds to one run in each of his last three outings against them.

That doesn’t bode well for Cincinnati, which is coming off a 9-3 loss at Milwaukee on Wednesday. Reds outfielder Chris Dickerson tied the game with a two-run homer in the sixth before the Brewers answered with five runs in the bottom half of the inning.

“Nobody is real happy about that right now because we had a chance to sweep,” manager Dusty Baker told the team’s official Web site. “Now we have to go to Houston and start a new winning streak.”

That could be tough against a Houston team that won 12 of 15 meetings last season.

The Astros are also showing some signs of life after a dismal start to the season. After losing six of their first seven and totaling seven hits in getting shut out in consecutive contests Sunday and Monday, they’ve put together their first back-to-back wins of the season.

Lance Berkman hit a tiebreaking three-run homer in the sixth inning to lift the Astros to a 6-3 victory at Pittsburgh on Thursday.

“You get big swings from your big boys, you’ve got to make them stand up and we did,” manager Cecil Cooper said.

The Astros hope to continue their offensive resurgence versus Reds starter Johnny Cueto (0-1. 6.00), who gave up four runs and eight hits in six innings of a 10-2 loss to Pittsburgh in his season debut Saturday. He struck out nine.

The right-hander, in his second major league season, is 0-3 with a 7.84 ERA in four career starts against Houston—all Cincinnati losses.

Berkman, batting .219 on the season, is 4-for-8 with a home run and two doubles against Cueto.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/preview;_yl ... =290417118

Game One: Reds 2 Astros 1

Ramon Hernandez saves the day with a 2 run blast in the top of the 9th.
IIIbishopIII
Freshman

Post#4 » by IIIbishopIII » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:35 pm

i hope we win the series it will be good if Cueto can get his first win tonight. The hitting will turn around. I think we will be better on the road this year than last.
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by el loco » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:18 am

IIIbishopIII wrote:i hope we win the series it will be good if Cueto can get his first win tonight. The hitting will turn around. I think we will be better on the road this year than last.

Cueto wasn't bad in his start, but he is giving up too many walks, although I think he was pitching to a smaller strike zone than Oswalt was tonight. He didn't get the win, but he didn't get the loss.

The Bullpen kept it 1-0 and in the 9th our newest catcher went yard for a 2 run shot to give us the lead for good. Cordero nailed down another save.

I hope you are correct on the road prediction.

I have question for you:

Is Bruce a Bust?

I watched every at bat he had tonight with a keen eye on why he is struggling, and I noticed that he is a bit late on the fastball, and he is swinging off of his front leg and slapping at breaking balls. It is too early to determine if he is a bust or not, but it ain't looking very good for him at the moment. Hopefully he turns it around soon.
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by el loco » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:43 pm

Game Two

First Pitch:
7:05 PM ET, April 18, 2009

Probable Pitchers:

Aaron harang 1-1, 0.64 era

VS.

Wandy Rodriguez 0-1, 3.00

Preview

A dramatic comeback led the Cincinnati Reds to victory in their series opener in Houston on Friday night, but they were never behind the last time Aaron Harang was on the hill.

Harang will try to pitch a second straight shutout when the Reds continue their four-game set Saturday against the Astros, whose inconsistent offense has been the major cause of their poor start.

Coming off a poor season in which he lost a league-worst 17 games and allowed 35 home runs, Harang (1-1, 0.64 ERA) has had no such problems in 2009.

The big right-hander lost on opening day despite allowing just one run in five innings, but he didn't give up any Sunday against Pittsburgh, allowing three hits and striking out nine without a walk for his sixth career shutout as the Reds (5-4) won 2-0.

"They knew I was throwing strikes," Harang said. "I was hitting my spots on the outside corner, but keeping them honest on the inside part of the plate. They couldn't lean out over the plate."

Harang also got off to a strong start last season, when he held a 2.14 ERA through his first three starts. He's one of just three major league pitchers to throw a shutout this season.

"It's rare that you have a complete game that early," Cincinnati manager Dusty Baker said. "It shows you what kind of shape he's in."

Houston's bats have yet to round into midseason form. The Astros (3-7) rank last in the majors with 27 runs scored, and they managed just four hits -- all singles -- in their 2-1 loss in Friday's series opener.

Cincinnati still trailed in the ninth inning of that game, but Ramon Hernandez hit a two-run home run off Astros closer Jose Valverde to send the Reds to their fourth win in their last five games.

"This would have been a real tough loss," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "They didn't really deserve to win it but they were winning in the ninth."

Valverde had missed Thursday's game with a back injury, but he said that wasn't a factor.

"Everything is fine, I am OK," Valverde said. "The guy just hit a home run. What else am I going to do? It was a fastball and I threw my best pitch to this guy, and he hit it.

"Tomorrow is a new day."

The Astros, who won 12 of 15 against Cincinnati last year, will try to rebound behind Wandy Rodriguez.

The left-hander has pitched well this season, but is still looking for his first victory thanks to a lack of run support. Houston has scored two runs in the 12 innings that Rodriguez (0-1, 3.00) has pitched.

Rodriguez gave up three runs and five hits in six innings of a 3-0 loss at St. Louis on Sunday.

"We hit probably two or three balls hard all day, and that won't get it," Astros manager Cecil Cooper said after that game. "We know we're a better offensive team than we have shown."

But the middle of Houston's lineup continues to struggle. Carlos Lee is 2-for-18 with no walks in his last five games, while Lance Berkman is 3-for-19 with seven strikeouts in his last six contests.

Berkman hopes it will help to face Harang, against whom he has six home runs in 42 career at-bats.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=290418118
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Reds (5-4) @ Astros (3-7) April 17-20 

Post#7 » by el loco » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:21 pm

Not much to post about game 2 if you are a reds fan. Harang had his first bad outing of the season. He was blasted for 5 runs in 6 innings. The reds only had 2 hits as a team. The Astros, kicked our butts 7-0.
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by el loco » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:24 pm

Game 3 went to the reds. Volquez got the win and a pitcher (Micah Owings) got a double to drive in 3 late in the game. The Reds use him as a pinch hitter because he likes to hit in pressure situations, and he has proven that he comes through when given the chance to do so. Cordero picked up his 4th save.

Reds win 4-2
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by el loco » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:27 pm

Game 4 of the series is tonight at 8:05, Bronson takes the mound for the Reds. He is looking to go 3-0 on the season. I hope he does.

Jay Bruce, Edwin, and AG continue to struggle at the plate. Hopefully they will get it going tonight.

Bronson improves to 3-0 and Cordero picked up his 5th save of the season. Votto picked up a couple more RBI he now has 12 on the season and he has been the main man when it comes to offense for the Reds. Edwin's bat finally woke up, he was 2-4 with a couple of RBI.

Bruce and Gonzalez didn't play tonight, but Brandon Phillips did, he went 0-4 his season avg. is .154

In fact, over 1/2 of our starting lineup still sucks at the plate:
Phillips .158
Edwin .194
Hernandez .188
Bruce .176
Gonzalez .069

If it weren't for the pitching staff, the Reds would have a terrible record to start the season. I expect some send downs and call ups from the minors if this continues to happen.

Return to Cincinnati Reds