ImageImageImageImage

Jones not a lock to return...

Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Jones not a lock to return... 

Post#1 » by Low-Ki » Tue Oct 2, 2007 12:56 am

In his state of the Tigers address following the season Dave Dombrowski indicated that the Tigs have told Todd Jones that they want him back however with the caveat that he's not guarenteed to close. He'll start the season as the closer, but the plan is to ween Zumaya into the spot by mid-season and going forward. Jones has said he plans to play one more season and it would make sense that said season be with the Tigs, however he also sees himself as a closer and Tiger fans know what happens with Jones pitches in non-save situations or for more than one inning. Let's just say he isn't a middle reliever by any stretch.

Jones tried to explain his non-save situation meltdowns by saying that it's all psychological with the batters, that in the 9th with the Tigs up the opposing batter is looking for the big hit/HR and is amped up given the situation of the game, however when the game isn't on the line or in middle innings the batter is more relaxed and looking to work counts and look for a hit anywhere rather than a HR.

I think Jones will look out to find a more secure closer situation initially and if one is available will leave. However most contending teams have closers already meaning he'd have to take a job on a non-contender just to close or come back to Detroit with the intent that he loses his job and becomes a <cringe> middle reliever for us.

If Jones leaves, it will be hard to impossible to lure another closer here, as closers usually don't take to well to heading back into MR. OUr best bet would be to grab the best middle man on the market and give them the opportunity to compete for saves early, but the intention being Zumaya will be our closer.

The FA list of relievers includes -
Jeremy Affeldt (29)
Antonio Alfonseca (36)
LaTroy Hawkins (35)
Jorge Julio (29)
Joe Kennedy (29)
Scott Linebrink (31)
Troy Percival (39)
David Riske (31) - $2.85MM club option for '08
Russ Springer (39)
Julian Tavarez (35) - $3.85MM club option for '08
Mike Timlin (42)
Luis Vizcaino (31)
Kerry Wood (31)

If it was my choice, I'd let Jones walk and bring in Luis Vizcaino. Vizcaino had a horrid couple of months with the Yanks, however his second half was really solid. I remember reading somewhere that Mariano Rivera had a sit-down conversation with him after his early season struggles and that was the changing point to his season. Of course, we very well could be bidding against the Yanks for his services. I believe Jorge Julio has the type of arm the Tigs will like and has closed games in the past, so he could be another possibility.
Rip Hamilton is a stain on the Pistons franchise.
Low-Ki
Head Coach

Post#2 » by Low-Ki » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:10 pm

With the doomsday injury to Zumaya, the liklihood of Jones being brought back increased exponentially. It has gotten tot he point where the Tigs are trying to get him locked up before the free-agency period starts tomorrow and he can talk to other teams.

Jones had seemingly preferred to head home to Atlanta for a season or two, however with the report that Atlanta indicated that they are not in the market for bullpen help, partnered with the fact that with Zumaya out of the picture Jones can be pencilled in as our closer for the length of the season and our desperate need for BP help one has to believe a deal will get done.

I don't know why we're not going big game hunting after Francisco Cordero, but given our recent draft coups in Maybin, Miller and Porcello maybe the Tigs don't want to part with the first round draft pick we'd have to surrender if we signed the Type-A free agent closer.
Rip Hamilton is a stain on the Pistons franchise.
hoopsnurd
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#3 » by hoopsnurd » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:12 am

Then y did the cubs trade for him?
Low-Ki
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Low-Ki » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:07 am

Tigs re-signed Todd Jones today to a one year $7M deal.

Hoops - Tigers traded for Left Fielder JACQUE Jones earlier in the day (parting with Infante) and then re-upped with closer TODD Jones later in the day.

Return to Detroit Tigers