ImageImageImageImage

Will the Tigers make the playoffs in 2011?

Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,451

Will the Tigers make the playoffs in 2011? 

Post#1 » by Han Solo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:51 am

Support you answers...
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Re: Will the Tigers make the playoffs in 2011? 

Post#2 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:54 am

Yes 100% and i would take any bets on this vegas money odds.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#3 » by TSE » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:45 pm

No due to a lack of logical player instruction & in-game management, and insufficient batting talent at 2B/SS/3B/C. If we get lucky and one of those 4 position players has a breakout year, that's what we have to hope for. The rest of the offense I expect to deliver within a reasonably tight variance, but win or lose there's not much we can do there from a roster preparation standpoint at this point in time so it's not terribly relevant to our present as much as those other categories that still exist as opportunities for reform. We have enough resources on paper in totality but the lack of a cohesive and all-encompassing strategic plan coming together in an efficient manner will keep us just short but really close. Sadly most fans will see just missing the playoffs as an accomplishment somehow.
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Post#4 » by cochiseuofm » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:23 am

Sadly most fans will see just missing the playoffs as an accomplishment somehow.

What fans do you talk to? The Tigers have had a high payroll for years and have consistently just missed the playoffs. No one sees that as any sort of accomplishment. After 2006, everyone expected more playoff success and we have had none. And we don't exactly play in the AL East either, we are in a winnable division.

As usual, this will come down to how good the pitching is. Verlander was great last year and is a dependable ace, but we need consistently good performances out of Schrezer, who was lights out after the All-Star break, and Porcello, who hopefully recovers from a sophomore slump (he also showed up better in the 2nd half of the season). If Penny stays healthy, big if, he could be a good third or fourth pitcher too. And the bullpen, which was so good at the start of last year, has great potential.

But are they going to make the playoffs? I can't say I'm terribly confident.

BTW TSE you do know we signed Victor Martinez right? As we also have Magglio, Victor will probably play catcher a good amount, so our hitting is not a big concern at that position. And Peralta is not bad either, he can have 15-20 HRs and 80 RBIs in a good offense, which we have. The hitting will be there most nights.
TSE
Banned User

Post#5 » by TSE » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:50 am

Whether Martinez plays or not or what he plays, Avila is still going to get a TON of atbats. It seems the Tigers are going to use Avila at catcher predominantly and have Martinez play mainly a DH role since he's older and Avila probably has more upside in value as a defensive catcher long-term. So the few times that Martinez may catch, Avila's bat will often still be in the lineup. And Avila is no Martinez.

Bottom line is we have plenty of viable pitchers all over the place, and our clear holes are hitting at 3B/SS/2B/C (Avila only but still one full position of value).

If we don't win the WS or seriously contend for it then it's my contention that we will most likely have failed because of the combo of those 4 weak spots. Take those weak spots away and we are a well built team that I have NO qualms with whatsoever.

So I just look at it as if I'm the toughest fan to please, and I'm not going to accept anything you do unless you address the top 4 categories of where potential failure will arise, then let's just simply address that so that I can be reconciled into a category of "on-board" with the team's vision, cause then it would be a logical vision. I'm just asking for ONE offensive spot to be upgraded between now and the start of next year.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#6 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:56 pm

Last year at second base was not bad Gullen .273 and Rhymes .304 .The 2 played the bulk at second base i do not see a big weakness there.
When Martinez catches Avila's bat will be out of the line up (not in)you don't put a .228 at DH or 1st we have plenty of other players that can hit for heigher average and play at those positions if i were the coach.

The reason Avila got so many bats last year was because of Laird averges .207 and most of the year was under that figure.

Catcher has been upgraded from last year.I would like to see a big bat DH aquired to fill that spot.

the Tigers this year have a better team than last year,how much better we will see. interesting fact the two starting pitchers we got rid of (bon,gal)had the most home runs giving up on the starting staff.
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Post#7 » by cochiseuofm » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:41 pm

We resigned Magglio who is a defensive liability, so there is a good chance Magglio is going to be our primary DH, not Martinez. Most catchers only start 120-130 games at most at catcher in a season, so if Martinez is the DH in a good amount of games, that is fine. I'd be surprised if Avila played in more than a third of our games without an injury happening though.
TSE
Banned User

Post#8 » by TSE » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:32 pm

kellmellus50 wrote:Last year at second base was not bad Gullen .273 and Rhymes .304 .The 2 played the bulk at second base i do not see a big weakness there.

I don't have a problem with 2B if Rhymes can post a .300 BA again, BUT I just wouldn't expect him to do that (plus a lack of power comes with a BA penalty you need to factor in too). I don't know anything about the guy other than his statistical history, and that suggests that he is not likely a .300 hitter regardless if he did it during his opening time thus far. I would suspect the Tigers will be investing more of the opportunity at 2B with Sizemore in lieu of Rhymes anyhow, so it's Sizemore that we are likely betting on this year.

We have longer-term vets at the 3B and SS position with Inge and Peralta compared against Avila and Sizemore. Inge and Peralta have had a very long career proving that they are not the quality hitters we would like to have there, so if you want to invest into those 4 positions, my preference is SS first because at least we have 2 possibilities to solve the 2B and C inhouse and we have Castellanos as a possible for 3rd, thus SS would be the ideal first choice of the 4. But if we can't handpick a guy like Starlin Castro or another enticing young SS of which there aren't a ton that exist, that's when we need to have 2-4 as backup options as the next best bang for our buck in overall team improvement.

But how likely is it that Sizemore or Avila break out and become stars? The odds exist that they could, but I do not feel they are significantly high enough that if we can get an upgrade with a guy like Chase Utley or somebody at the very near top of the 2B list as opposed to say the 15th best SS choice, it then becomes advantageous to take 2B over SS as our choice of positional upgrades as that 10+ spots of ranking gap are going to outweigh the value of 2 mediocre-exciting prospect freerolls like Avila and Sizemore.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,202

Post#9 » by ElectricMayhem » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:07 am

YES!
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#10 » by Manocad » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:27 am

So what we learned from TSE's pre-season analysis here is that Peralta can't hit and Avila isn't an attractive long term prospect.

Once again, so wrong it's comical.
TSE
Banned User

Post#11 » by TSE » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:46 pm

No, my analysis doesn't state that any player can't hit. To say that sounds like you are saying they won't ever get a hit, but in baseball that's just not true. Every player hits, it's a matter of how often you hit and what types of hits. And I think Avila is a fantastic prospect, if you want to call him that. He has done so well that he has established a ton of credibility that he did not have at the beginning of the season, and to me that takes away "prospect" status and elevates him to "proven player albeit for a short time", and that's worth a lot more than a good or great prospect, hands down non-comparison.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM

Post#12 » by ElectricMayhem » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:23 am

TSE wrote:No, my analysis doesn't state that any player can't hit. To say that sounds like you are saying they won't ever get a hit, but in baseball that's just not true.

An extreme literalist or someone unfamiliar with baseball would definitely think this is what is meant when one says a player "can't hit". However, in the game of baseball, this phrase is often used to describe a player who hits poorly. Yes, he does have the ability to hit, which means in fact he can hit, but the phrase, "he can't hit" is applicable. I can understand how this would be tricky, though.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
TSE
Banned User

Post#13 » by TSE » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:54 am

Yeah and I obviously never said Peralta was a garbage hitter, you insinuated a level below where I had placed him, so to me that means you are claiming that I have Peralta in the "total loser" category which couldn't be farther from the truth. I think Peralta is a useful player, a "total loser" or a guy that "can't hit" is a guy like Dane Sardinha and Omir Santos, who are arguably 2 of the worst Tigers in recent history. Don Kelly is a total loser too. Peralta is in a completely different category in my mind than those junky players that "can't hit".
ElectricMayhem
RealGM

Post#14 » by ElectricMayhem » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:47 am

I would be much obliged if you could show me where I made any of these insinuations or claims you say I made.

TSE
Banned User

Post#15 » by TSE » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:11 am

Oh my bad I didn't see Manocad's comment was the one that said that. You guys each had a short comment and I didn't notice it was a separate entry from him, oopsie, I just have been working longer hours this week so I rushed through checking the pages and wasn't paying attention I guess, or maybe I thought you were referencing his post (or signing on with his comment) at the time. So just insert his name for your name in regard to that sentiment. lol
Manocad
RealGM

Post#16 » by Manocad » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:32 am

So what you're saying is that because you work you get confused.

So Don Kelly is a total loser? Get ready for that comment to bite you in the ass.

Again, you are probably the worst analyst I've seen on these boards. Seriously. You really have no idea what you're talking about.
TSE
Banned User

Post#17 » by TSE » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:36 pm

k
Manocad
RealGM

Post#18 » by Manocad » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:27 am

I called Don Kelly and told him about what you posted. He said he hit that 3-run homer today just for you.
TSE
Banned User

Post#19 » by TSE » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:02 pm

Tell him his message is not acknowledged as I only accept direct communicae for replies, and good job on the homer.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#20 » by Manocad » Sat Oct 8, 2011 4:59 am

That comment officially bit you in the ass.

Return to Detroit Tigers