ImageImageImageImage

Cabrera Relapses

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Cabrera Relapses 

Post#1 » by ajaX82 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:23 pm

I've gotta run, but just saw on the bottom line of ESPN that he was arrested for DUI in Miami along with other charges. The description sounds bad

this is awful news
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Cabrera Relapses 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:24 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring201 ... id=6131020

FORT PIERCE, Fla. -- Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera has been arrested on drunken driving charges in Florida.

The St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office said the 27-year-old's car engine was smoking alongside a road late Wednesday when a deputy spotted the vehicle.

Cabrera
According to the arrest report, Cabrera smelled of alcohol, had slurred speech and took a swig from a bottle of Scotch in front of a deputy. Police say Cabrera repeatedly refused to cooperate, saying, "Do you know who I am, you don't know anything about my problems." In 2009, the All-Star first baseman got into a fight with his wife after a night of drinking, right before his team surrendered the American League Central Division title to the Minnesota Twins.
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Post#3 » by cochiseuofm » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:14 pm

What a f****** moron. That is all I am going to say. When you get onto the road and endanger someone else, I don't care one bit about your personal problems, you deserve to be in a cell.
JACKBARNEY
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#4 » by JACKBARNEY » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:38 pm

Dombrowski needs to give this guy a long suspension.

What I don't get is when you're making that much money why wouldn't you pay someone to do the driving for you? His alcohol problem is a different matter, but at least it keeps him out of potential legal troubles.

It's been a long time since I was this excited about the Tigers. :banghead:
RustInPeace
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#5 » by RustInPeace » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:44 pm

He needs some serious help. This is the last thing we needed.

That said, anyone who says we should trade him is an idiot. And probably an Inge fan.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ajaX82 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:45 pm

We should certainly not trade him right now. And, while I think i may be the minority here, I wouldn't suspend him either.

Miggy has obviously got a problem. A big one. He doesn't need to be punished right now...the law and the media will take care of that. He needs help, plain and simple. If I am Dave Dombrowski, I send him to a 30-60 day rehab center immediately. Get him clean and completely away from the stuff, away from baseball. After he is out, I would (strongly) suggest a situation like Josh Hamilton has, where he keeps a personal mentor/assistant around to help him stay on the high and dry. And obviously, absolutely no alcohol for him.

I'm hoping this is THE wake-up call. It usually takes more than one, so I am not that shocked really. But the whole thing saddens me. I'm really rooting for him
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#7 » by TSE » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:18 am

Is it too late to trade Cabby and a 6 pack for Michael Young and a six pack of millions? lol
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#8 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:16 pm

Tigers need to find another hitter incase cabby relapses again and goes to AA
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#9 » by TSE » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:57 am

We needed an extra hitter already. So we just have to assume and hope Cabrera pans out. He's our best hitter and we have to have him succeed or were done anyhow. If I ever get the chance, it is on my list to find out what we could have trade him for. I still think that there were always better options to improve the team as a whole by strategically trading him than to keep him with this kind of roster shape. But now his value just takes another hit after this event, so whether it still makes sense to trade him is more of a cloudy issue, we're probably stuck with him for good, and losing better alternative choices in the process. Another DD blunder as far as I'm concerned. He really made a connection with him over that last event. If you don't know how to help and control a drug addict, then you need to step aside otherwise associating with them will continue to dwindle your own resources and health and sanity. DD overestimated his abilities again and vouched for a player and a situation that is now presently a downgrade. He's failing on a daily basis with managing this team and we haven't even seen game 1 of the season yet.

We need to grow up as a team in the administration department or Illitch needs to sell this team to somebody that cares and has the gumption to facilitate a positive baseball experience for the city of Detroit, and there's no reason we shouldn't be the most dominant team in baseball instead of the biggest underachievers.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,202

Post#10 » by ElectricMayhem » Sun Mar 6, 2011 1:50 am

kellmellus50 wrote:Tigers need to find another hitter incase cabby relapses again and goes to AA

1. As far as I know, AA meetings don't last that long. People who have jobs can still go to them and make their weekly AA meetings.

2. He probably can't do AA meetings. Because of his status, it wouldn't be very A (the second one).
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!

Return to Detroit Tigers