ImageImageImageImage

Turner traded for Sanchez and Infante

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Turner traded for Sanchez and Infante 

Post#1 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:33 am

Turner, Brantly and Flynn for Sanchez and Infante. Fills a need at 2b and gives us a fifth starter. Still, we paid a heavy, heavy price. Turner looks like a legit #2 to me and Brantly just played in the futures game. Sanchez can be a FA after the season, which may go a long ways to deciding how much it was worth it

We also moved up 30 spots in the "competitive balance" draft apparently, which I don't know much about
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: Turner traded for Sanchez and Infante 

Post#2 » by TSE » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:58 am

yuck

How's the short commentary for a change?
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#3 » by kellmellus50 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:18 am

The best thing about this trade is when Dirk gets back , Raburn does not have a spot anymore at second base hopefully he gets released.
joseph mamah
Starter
And1: 178

Post#4 » by joseph mamah » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:43 am

Solid trade, wasnt a big fan of Turner.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#5 » by kellmellus50 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:48 am

Is it too late throw in Raburn free of charge?

He was part of the original deal. The Marlins said we had to remove him from the trade in order to complete it.

Can we trade Gene Lamont and Lloyd McClendon for anything?

Leyland hated infante.....that is why he was let go in the past....Now we have to pay a large price to get him back.....Thanks Jimmy

I'm hoping theTigers trade Jim Leyland for Kirk Gibson.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:46 am

I don't like it either. Very much taking the very short-term choice over long-term. If Sanchez doesn't resign, and/or we don't win the series, it's a disaster
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,053

Post#7 » by Snakebites » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:26 am

I dunno, this is the sort of thing that I could really see biting us in the ass down the road.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:36 am

Snakebites wrote:I dunno, this is the sort of thing that I could really see biting us in the ass down the road.

Same thought. But reminding myself of the Cabby for Miller/Maybin deal does cheer my insides and give me hope that our dealings with the Marlins remain fruitful
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#9 » by kellmellus50 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Trying to be positive :We have 2 top 35 picks next season, upgraded 2B (our biggest hole by far) and got a pretty good pitcher to help us in the Playoffs.
It's easy to forget, but the Tigers have not picked in the top 35 since 2009 (when we grabbed Turner, Catellanos was 44th overall in 2010). By this time next year, those 2 picks should both be in the 1-7 range of Tigers' top prospects.

Turner=Porcello and i do not like porcello in the playoffs he gets bombed.

Sanchez has the 6th highest WAR total among pitchers in the NL over the last 3 yrs. Objectively, it's probably a lot less than a 50/50 that will ever be true for Turner. Sign him and I think this is a very good deal.

[QUOTE=DaYooperASBDT;2766455]I cheated off of Brooks Baseball's Pitch FX tool. Five pitches, currently tops out at 94-95 MPH, FB average 92-93. Looks like he has a plus changeup, also throws lots of cutters and sliders:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/...F&prevDate=722

2006 baseball america top 100

Sanchez #40
Verlander #8

#1......Delmon Young

Prospects are hit or miss, gotta move em when you're trying to win
i'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out in the off season.

Just looking at stats and Infante is 9th in MLB in OPS. I mean he is a top 10 guy at his position and we have him next year too. Don't underestimate the impact of having him aboard.

I would still be looking for another bat before the deadline if possible.I'm thrilled that they did not trade Castellanos....,

think of our potential 12 man pitching staff:

Verlander
Fister
Scherzer
Sanchez
Porcello

Below
Coke
Alburquerque
Villarreal
Dotel
Benoit
Valverde

and that's not including Smyly

Then, our position players:

Jackson
Infante
Cabrera
Fielder
Young------to be replaced by Martinez next year
Peralta
Avila
Boesch
Dirks

with a bench of:

Laird
Santiago
Berry
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#10 » by Lionlifer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:51 pm

As long as Raburn never sees the field again I am happy.

As far as long term, I'm a little leary of this move. Infante is what, 30 or so, and Sanchez has a few stints on the the DL and is free after this season. If we keep both of them for next year when V-Mart comes back I like it more. Either way, we really paid for some short term help.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#11 » by joseph mamah » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:04 pm

People keep talking about giving up our future but our future is really only as bright as Mr Is health look what happened to the pistons after mr D passed how do we know the illitches wont do the same and put the tigers in fire sale mode. I say if we got a shot at the title this year we do whatever we can to give us the best chance. even if it takes a top prospect or two.
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#12 » by joseph mamah » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:16 pm

I would have gladly given up turner AND castellanos if it had brought back hamels and polanco.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#13 » by kellmellus50 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:38 pm

joseph mamah wrote:I would have gladly given up turner AND castellanos if it had brought back hamels and polanco.

Polanco another Tiger we got rid of and to give all our draft picks to get them back why don't we just keep him in the first place?
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#14 » by joseph mamah » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:44 pm

I dont know why we did but we shouldnt have im sure it was a money issue and we thought infante was ready. not to mention the fact that he was somewhat injury prone.
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#15 » by joseph mamah » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:54 pm

what people need to realize is that the future is now. Theres no guarantee that were going to resign miggy and verlander when their contracts are up in the next few years especially if mr I isnt around. 3 years from now we could have the best farm system in baseball after the fire sale. Id at least like to have 1 w s to show for it. When you think of tigers teams who do you think of 68 and 84. Championships are all that matters prospects are fleeting. How did the prospect potential of wood and prior work out for the cubs. Who didnt think those two would get them at least one W S. tomorrows not guarenteed live for the day.
TSE
Banned User

Post#16 » by TSE » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:38 pm

joseph mamah wrote:what people need to realize is that the future is now. Theres no guarantee that were going to resign miggy and verlander when their contracts are up in the next few years especially if mr I isnt around. 3 years from now we could have the best farm system in baseball after the fire sale. Id at least like to have 1 w s to show for it. When you think of tigers teams who do you think of 68 and 84. Championships are all that matters prospects are fleeting. How did the prospect potential of wood and prior work out for the cubs. Who didnt think those two would get them at least one W S. tomorrows not guarenteed live for the day.

Bye to the future you just talked about because that moment is now in the past. Welcome to the next future! And so on and so on. The future is never now. You have to understand the science of time in order to know how to maximize the opportunities that come along throughout time.

EDIT: Just watching the game tonight I just saw the clip of DD saying in reference to looking at the future.."we'll look at it later on". Later on!?!? Wow. That's the worst time to look at it because it is automatically too late, that is if you want to optimize your future by intelligently planning around those later times. Frak "later on", I was worrying about "later on" 5 years ago as I was planning on actually living through that forecasted time period. And here I am in present day; amazing! This is why we fail to achieve our highest potential; flawed logic and rudimentary strategies.
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#17 » by joseph mamah » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:31 am

No, we fail to reach our highest potential by putting off for tomorrow what could be done today.
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#18 » by joseph mamah » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:33 am

Whats a higher potential then winning the World Series?
TSE
Banned User

Post#19 » by TSE » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:05 am

joseph mamah wrote:Whats a higher potential then winning the World Series?

Securing for the future many years in advance of a monstrously high expected probability of winning multiple WS titles and developing and solidifying the respect of others such that they find us to be the greatest sports or team franchise in all of human history. Plus I believe it's very practical to achieve given the high level of incompetence of every single competitor. To me it's a shame to fail first at identifying the great opportunity and then at adhering to an obviously logical responsibility. It would have great positive effects for our community, and further it would make the game and the rest of the country greater when everybody else learns how to play this damn game the right way. Our government could then accidentally stumble on the logic of using brilliant strategy to help then solve the rest of the world's problems through the spirit of doing things the right way and maximizing the happiness level of people in this world to the highest total possible level that can be achieved if we do our best with our best people in the right positions to do just that.

I think that's a higher potential than saying the Tigers won the series in '12. Baseball can have the power to open the gateway to save us all, if we choose it.
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#20 » by joseph mamah » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:58 am

Those are some very unrealistic expectations. i dont know what to say to that i hope your jokin. If thats ever going to happen wed better get started which means making the playoffs. This move helps us accomplish that. who cares if we had to give up what in my mind is a mediocre pitcher. bonderman was light years ahead of that kid when he was 19. alas he could never figure out how to throw a changeup and now hes out of the league. injuries helped but he was always average when he had the POTENTIAL to be great. most prospects dont pan out, especially the ones who fail the eye test. By the way, does anybody here know if sanchez is going to be a type A/B free agent if he leaves after this year.

Return to Detroit Tigers