ImageImageImageImage

2012 Playoffs Tigers on the way to World Series

kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

2012 Playoffs Tigers on the way to World Series 

Post#1 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Oct 7, 2012 11:44 am

First game Verlander gets better as game goes on ,he always has trouble in the first inning.

Today Fister on the mound 12:00 so far Tiger 1-0 in the best of 5 games.

Benoit comes close again almost giving up a homer, when he gets into game i cringe and can't wait till were out of that inning.
joseph mamah
Starter
And1: 178

Re: 2012 Playoffs Tigers on the way to World Series 

Post#2 » by joseph mamah » Sun Oct 7, 2012 7:04 pm

why, after the way AA pitched down the stretch, is Phil Coke standing on the mound right now?
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#3 » by ajaX82 » Sun Oct 7, 2012 8:41 pm

Don Kelly FTW! Not the most likely of heroes
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#4 » by kellmellus50 » Mon Oct 8, 2012 1:20 am

This is a perfect example of the stubbornness that fuels the Jim Leyland criticism
How much longer can Leyland afford keeping Joaquin Benoit as his eighth-inning setup option?

http://www.freep.com/article/20121007/C ... ext|Sports
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#5 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Oct 8, 2012 7:31 am

i hope yanks sweep the orioles and we sweep the A's. i think that will help us continue our hot streak
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#6 » by kellmellus50 » Mon Oct 8, 2012 10:38 am

Al Alburquerque kisses ball before throwing it to first, angering A’s
My reaction :The As can kiss his #$%$$$$ next time the tigers win the final series game.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#7 » by Lionlifer » Mon Oct 8, 2012 1:11 pm

2 up heading to Oakland, lets go. I think we can steal at least one, but I don't see us sweeping them (hope I'm wrong though).
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#8 » by kellmellus50 » Tue Oct 9, 2012 2:39 am

DD has said today he wants to sign Sanchez...... so I am guessing that will take 8-10 million depending on the length of the contract. Tigers will have around $15 mil in raises. With the players not expecting to return there will be no room to sign anyone else if Ilitch will keep the same figure or slightly less. I figured it out below. And it will depend on whether the Tigers make it to the WS. A NY-Tigers ACLS should fill up Ilitch's vault but he lost quite a bit of money the last 3 years with the Tigers.

I've stuck by the Tigers and believe this team can win the WS. But, I've always maintained it doesn't matter WHO you play, what matters is HOW you play.....and it concerns me that the offense still hasn't shown up.....kind of a Ryan Raburn syndrome. Here's my concerns:
a.....in the 1st 2 games Prince' BA is .125. though he has homered.
b.....AJ, our lead off man, is hitting .222.
c.....Cabby, Infante, Dirks and Avila are doing okay, but is it enough?
d.....The team has drawn only 3 walks in the 2 games, I call that a lack of plate discipline.
e.....18 hits are nice, but they've only produced 5 earned runs....2.5 per game.
f.....Last night we scored 5 R's, only 2 were earned.....we didn't beat Oakland, they beat themselves.

Solid pitching and lady luck pulled us through.....don't count on them being there every night. But, we will get to the WS
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#9 » by Manocad » Tue Oct 9, 2012 5:12 pm

Oh for Pete's sake...it's TWO GAMES! THAT THEY WON! Talk about a "glass half full" attitude. Good lord.
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#10 » by joseph mamah » Tue Oct 9, 2012 6:24 pm

kellmellus50 wrote:DD has said today he wants to sign Sanchez...... so I am guessing that will take 8-10 million depending on the length of the contract. Tigers will have around $15 mil in raises. With the players not expecting to return there will be no room to sign anyone else if Ilitch will keep the same figure or slightly less. I figured it out below. And it will depend on whether the Tigers make it to the WS. A NY-Tigers ACLS should fill up Ilitch's vault but he lost quite a bit of money the last 3 years with the Tigers.

I've stuck by the Tigers and believe this team can win the WS. But, I've always maintained it doesn't matter WHO you play, what matters is HOW you play.....and it concerns me that the offense still hasn't shown up.....kind of a Ryan Raburn syndrome. Here's my concerns:
a.....in the 1st 2 games Prince' BA is .125. though he has homered.
b.....AJ, our lead off man, is hitting .222.
c.....Cabby, Infante, Dirks and Avila are doing okay, but is it enough?
d.....The team has drawn only 3 walks in the 2 games, I call that a lack of plate discipline.
e.....18 hits are nice, but they've only produced 5 earned runs....2.5 per game.
f.....Last night we scored 5 R's, only 2 were earned.....we didn't beat Oakland, they beat themselves.

Solid pitching and lady luck pulled us through.....don't count on them being there every night. But, we will get to the WS

If they sign Sanchez, Porcello will probably be traded, im not sure what hes due to make but theyll save that money, he belongs in the National League on a team with good defense anyway. and with VMart coming back ,hopefully the same player, itll be like adding a big free agent. along with hopeful improvement from within ( Garcia or Castellanos, AA) Illitch shouldnt have to spend any money this offseason other than raises. theyll probably either try to trade Porcello for a SS or try to package Porcello/Young for a LF upgrade.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#11 » by TSE » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:11 am

kellmellus50 wrote:f.....Last night we scored 5 R's, only 2 were earned.....we didn't beat Oakland, they beat themselves.

I'd add "g" to the list being that we should have Cespedes in the lineup as part of our OF. Not sure how the A's could have been willing to pay him more than us. The metrics we use to determine who we spend money on and who we pass up on is one of the sickening problems of this team. Go Tigers yay.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#12 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:25 am

2 Runs! really, we can't score 2 runs with the lineup we have.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#13 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:11 pm

TSE wrote:
kellmellus50 wrote:f.....Last night we scored 5 R's, only 2 were earned.....we didn't beat Oakland, they beat themselves.

I'd add "g" to the list being that we should have Cespedes in the lineup as part of our OF. Not sure how the A's could have been willing to pay him more than us. The metrics we use to determine who we spend money on and who we pass up on is one of the sickening problems of this team. Go Tigers yay.

Houston we have a problem with the offence.
Leyland was posing it himself before the game, noting that of the Tigers' eight runs in the series, only one — an Alex Avila home run — came on a hit. It might be a minor distinction, but against Oakland's top-notch pitching, it's relevant.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z28tjgpGWx

We could have had Cespedes for 4 mill a year i think oakland got him for 3.5 million
too much was paid for fielder ,i would have taken that money and got Cespedes and 4 more players that can hit or pitch.
TSE
Banned User

Post#14 » by TSE » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:52 pm

I thought he was getting like $9MM per year? Either way, he was the most intriguing offensive player available at a position of need other than obviously guys we would have had to trade for. In fact we could have completely paid for him by unraveling previous disastrous decisions of the past from the hundreds of millions of dollars we have been pissing away every year in addition to the tens of millions we have outright blown on utter trash. Despite all of that we still could have afforded him.

Oh well, it's just more salt in the wound and nothing really matters until we can get a new owner or GM in the very least, it's just no fun with these guys the way they tease us with their aggressive spending. DD can't hold the job forever, and neither can Illitch own the team forever. I'm just going to remain patient for now and look forward to the next chapter.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#15 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:01 pm

TSE wrote:I thought he was getting like $9MM per year? Either way, he was the most intriguing offensive player available at a position of need other than obviously guys we would have had to trade for. In fact we could have completely paid for him by unraveling previous disastrous decisions of the past from the hundreds of millions of dollars we have been pissing away every year in addition to the tens of millions we have outright blown on utter trash. Despite all of that we still could have afforded him.

Oh well, it's just more salt in the wound and nothing really matters until we can get a new owner or GM in the very least, it's just no fun with these guys the way they tease us with their aggressive spending. DD can't hold the job forever, and neither can Illitch own the team forever. I'm just going to remain patient for now and look forward to the next chapter.

TSE your right my bad :Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes, a 26-year-old outfielder, and the Oakland Athletics have agreed to a $36 million, four-year contract.
TSE
Banned User

Post#16 » by TSE » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:12 pm

Still it's odd that the supposedly super efficient Moneyball Billy Beane that looks for bargains or cheaper contracts would offer more than our team that typically way overpays for the same talent. Why did we fall off the map in that particular instance is what I'd like to know. If I was the GM there is no freaking way that guy wouldn't have been a Tiger. I even went as far as to email my dad a picture of this guy with his shirt off I was so excited, because I thought for sure that this guy was right up DD's alley. I mean he was international which fits with our clubhouse flavor, DD is all about the international players and scouts them very aggressively, and it was a bidder's game, of which we can outbid anybody but the Yankees in general. I was so sure DD was going to go after him hard and I'm still stunned the A's got him over us. WTF?
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#17 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:52 pm

Cespedes hit .333 with 33 home runs, 99 RBIs and 11 stolen bases over 90 games in Cuba during the 2010-11 season.

i wanted the tigers to get him ever if they had to trade someone away.
TSE
Banned User

Post#18 » by TSE » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:26 pm

It might be a good trade, but it was a better trade when we had to pay the same money as now but also didn't have to give up other resources. That's the point, is it's about timing and planning and mngmt of resources. Every player on the team needs to be acquired for a logical reason as to why it's a good deal, and has to have a logical purpose for use plus exit strategy that makes sense. We don't have a good plan for when we take most guys on, nor do we know what to do with them when we have them, and we waste their "usage value" by not winning or trading them because we are a clusterfrak of confused and ignorant idiots. It's massive waste dumped on the previous waste of the previous season, and so on and so on and so on. Illitch and DD are a pair of sick twisted freaks.

It's still not as perverse though if the Yankees win it all, since they are even worse than us. lol I'm dying to see what happens with A-Rod for the next few years with his ginormous salary that also has some HR milestone bonuses as he approaches extreme age having also started to show inklings of his decline in performance (and other aging expensive players). It's going to be fascinating to see what they do with that situation.
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#19 » by joseph mamah » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:24 am

^^ yeah, I sure do miss the good ol Randy Smith days.
TSE
Banned User

Post#20 » by TSE » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:56 am

Randy Smith? He was terrible. Citing somebody worse from the past is not a justification for somebody who is bad today. Illitch hired Randy Smith too. I would have no problem with DD if he wasn't part of this team. Illitch paid both of these losers lots of money and neither of them are acceptable, regardless if one is better than the other. Any 2 terrible things compared against each other is likely to have one that is less bad than the other. Illitch is the source of the problem, and any losers under him are just fruits of the poisonous tree. I don't want any poison in my fruit, I want a healthy fruit that is good to eat.

Return to Detroit Tigers