ImageImageImageImage

Dontrelle Willis

Master Shake
General Manager
And1: 2

Dontrelle Willis 

Post#1 » by Master Shake » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:33 pm

I've always loved this guy, wiretap says the Marlins might be interested in dealing him. What would it take for us to get him, because the way it seems Kenny Rogers is done, and Willis would look great in our rotation.

I know its a pipe dream, but its something to think about.
whatchaknow wrote: I would rather have Batum than Monroe...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.
PistonFan4Life
Rookie
And1: 0

Re: Dontrelle Willis 

Post#2 » by PistonFan4Life » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:43 pm

Master Shake wrote:I've always loved this guy, wiretap says the Marlins might be interested in dealing him. What would it take for us to get him, because the way it seems Kenny Rogers is done, and Willis would look great in our rotation.

I know its a pipe dream, but its something to think about.

We probably wouldn't have to give up anyone already on the MLB roster unless it was someone like Maybin. We would however have to give them a few top notch pitchers from the minors. That usually seems to be what most teams are interested in. However I don't see how any move for a pitcher does us any good for the final stretch this season, anyone we could acquire could no longer be added to the playoff roster, and that is if we can get our pitching together to make the playoffs.
Master Shake
General Manager

Post#3 » by Master Shake » Sat Sep 1, 2007 12:34 am

I guess I meant for it to be a move in the off-season if we Rogers can't come back and we don't make the playoffs. A guy like him would give our pitching staff a much needed swagger that it lacks this year. Verlander, Willis, Bonderman, Miller, and Robertson would be ONE HELL OF A PITCHING STAFF in a year or two...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#4 » by VinnyTheMick » Sat Sep 8, 2007 10:19 pm

Master Shake wrote:Verlander, Willis, Bonderman, Miller, and Robertson would be ONE HELL OF A PITCHING STAFF in a year or two...

:o downright scary staff :o
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
Low-Ki
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Low-Ki » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:41 pm

I think it would cost too much to get him - I'm talking one of Andrew Miller or Cameron Maybin. He's been overworked and it's showing. Besides you usually have to add at least half an earned run to ones ERA when switching from the NL to the AL (if not a full run).
Rip Hamilton is a stain on the Pistons franchise.
Master Shake
General Manager

Post#6 » by Master Shake » Wed Dec 5, 2007 8:26 am

:lol: bump.

Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 336

Post#7 » by Drwho17 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 11:15 am

Willis isn't good, his peripherals tell you his 2007 season is more likely to be the norm then his previous seasons. He's an innings eater for sure, but he gives up a ton of hits. He also was doing this in the National League, where the average ERA is adjusted downward, due to the lack of offensive talent in the NL, and the fact that pitchers bat.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#8 » by Flash3 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 4:02 pm

Drwho17 wrote:Willis isn't good, his peripherals tell you his 2007 season is more likely to be the norm then his previous seasons. He's an innings eater for sure, but he gives up a ton of hits. He also was doing this in the National League, where the average ERA is adjusted downward, due to the lack of offensive talent in the NL, and the fact that pitchers bat.
Granted he wasn't benefitted nor helped by his team behind him on the defensive end.

More times than not, Willis would get batters to hit into easy ground ball outs, yet someone would find a way to screw it up and only extend the inning for Willis.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#9 » by Basketball Jesus » Wed Dec 5, 2007 4:05 pm

Willis makes an excellent #3 for any contending team.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Low-Ki
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Low-Ki » Wed Dec 5, 2007 4:53 pm

Here's the deal Florida wanted from LAA for Cabrera alone - Howie Kendrick, Nick Adenhart, Jeff Mathis, and one other upper level pitching prospect.

Comparing it to the Tigers/Marlins deal
Kendrick = Maybin
Adenhart = Miller
Mathis = Rabelo
Pitching Prospect = Dallas Trahern

So considering that, it looks like we acquired D-Train for De La Cruz and Burke Badenhop.

I have little hope for Willis really and am not expecting much. If I was DD I would actually look to trade him right now as I believe he still has certain value and we could certainly get more for him than we gave up to get him(using my trade formula above).

The only hope I have is that DD has likely did his homework on Dontrelle and thinks there is something that is fixable with him that while he may never be 2005 D-Train, 2006 D-Train is the player we really acquired here.

Detroit could be a good situation for a rebound in that he doesn't have to be the man here. He's not expected to be our ace (that's Verlander), or even our #2 (Bonderman or Rogers), and he's not even expected to be the innings eater of the staff (Robertson).

I think his workload over the past few seasons really caught up to him. I mean 1022 IP for a 25 yr old is ridiculous. 236IP in 2005 and 223 IP in 2006 (along with the World Baseball Classic innings) is abuse on a 23 and 24 year olds arm.

The veteran team, being on a real contender and pitching in front of a packed house every night could all help him rebound as well.

However his mechanics are simply awful and he is a shoulder injury waiting to happen. There is a belief among many front office types and scouts that he is hurt. He professes no pain whatsoever and even though the drop in performance evidence says otherwise you have to trust the player here. Of course Jeremy Bonderman professed he was fine last season and tried to pitch though pain to almost disasterous results. Players need to listen to their bodies and trust their team doctors/trainers. Pitching hurt is stupid. However if you think your career is potential on the line with major shoulder surgery, well I can't blame the kid.

The way I broke down and seperated the trade above, I can't be against this move. However I would have been completely against it if we had sacrificed Miller, De La Cruz and Badenhop to get D-Train alone this off-season.
Rip Hamilton is a stain on the Pistons franchise.

Return to Detroit Tigers