ImageImageImageImage

Cabrera & Willis to Tigers

Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,764

Cabrera & Willis to Tigers 

Post#1 » by Cowology » Tue Dec 4, 2007 11:18 pm

Wow, you guys hear this? They just reported on SportsCenter that a deal is about to go down tonight.

Tigers getting Dontrelle Willis & Miguel Cabrera for Andrew Miller & some prospects. Not sure of the exact details right now.

Edit: Cameron Maybin is in the deal.
The Sheik
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#2 » by The Sheik » Tue Dec 4, 2007 11:23 pm

That right there is a Mega Deal.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,058

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Tue Dec 4, 2007 11:49 pm

WOW.

Not a Tiger fan, though they ARE my AL team to be sure.

Just so you know, Im pretty sure Meybin is part of the deal as well along with Miller. I didnt even know the Tigers were in the sweepstakes.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,517

Post#4 » by Klomp » Tue Dec 4, 2007 11:55 pm

Where will Cabrera play? They have a pretty good 3B. Outfield?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Master Shake
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#5 » by Master Shake » Tue Dec 4, 2007 11:57 pm

:o WOW.

And dude, Cabrera will easily be the new 3rd basemen over Inge... I mean, its not even a question.
whatchaknow wrote: I would rather have Batum than Monroe...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,058

Post#6 » by Snakebites » Wed Dec 5, 2007 12:02 am

^Inge cant hit.

Im sure theyll have no issues making him a utility guy (he can play a few positions) in favor of a guy like Cabrera. Guillen, Polanco, Edgar, and Cabrera is one of the best infields Ive ever heard of.

Id worry about Willis, though. He could go either way after that previous season.

Steep price in terms of young talent, but Cabrera and Dontrelle arent exactly old.
a-rod
Assistant Coach
And1: 21

Post#7 » by a-rod » Wed Dec 5, 2007 12:18 am

klomp44 wrote:Where will Cabrera play? They have a pretty good 3B. Outfield?
when you get player that good you make room for him period.
pillwenney wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:No thanks to Deng. I read a rumor surfing hoopshype awhile back saying Gay for Reke is a possibility.

Must be true, if it's a rumor you read on Hoopshype.
:rofl:
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#8 » by ajaX82 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 12:51 am

dear god our lineup is nasty. Our rotation of Bondo/Verlander/Willis/Rogers/Robertson

is unreal. This team is tops. I hate to give up Maybin and Miller, but it had to be done
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 336

Post#9 » by Drwho17 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 1:17 am

Maybin/Miller, and 4 other top 10 prospects, for Cabrera/Willis. A definite Blockbuster, but the Tigers sure gave up an awful lot.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... &fext=.jsp
Muzzleshot
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#10 » by Muzzleshot » Wed Dec 5, 2007 1:20 am

The Tigers just got scary good. That lineup is going to be just brutal for opposing AL pitchers.

Cabrera is a star at 24 years of age that the Tigers were hoping Maybin could become some day. If Maybin can become as good as Cabrera is or better than him he'll probably end up in the hall of fame. Based on the numbers that Cabrera has put up so far he's certainly on his way to ending up in Cooperstown.

That was a no-brainer of a trade for the Tigers.
Vinnie's Microwave
Senior

Post#11 » by Vinnie's Microwave » Wed Dec 5, 2007 1:23 am

ajaX82 wrote:dear god our lineup is nasty. Our rotation of Bondo/Verlander/Willis/Rogers/Robertson

is unreal. This team is tops. I hate to give up Maybin and Miller, but it had to be done

Don't get me wrong - love the deal. Unbelieveable. But - just hope that our hitting, defense, and starting pitching give us a big lead, because our bullpen blows.
Vinnie's Microwave
Senior

Post#12 » by Vinnie's Microwave » Wed Dec 5, 2007 1:25 am

I had to post again - wowwww. I am in shock. I am just sitting here in a daze - wow. Lineup:

CF Curtis Granderson
2B Placido Polanco
3B Miguel Cabrera
RF Magglio Ordonez
DH Gary Sheffield
1B Carlos Guillen
C Ivan Rodriguez
LF Jacque Jones
SS Edgar Renteria

They still have two players in Inge and Thames that were 27 and 26 HR guys a little over a year ago on the bench.

Inge makes a bit much for a utility player, but he fits the bill perfectly - he can play all positions - amazing. But - again - bullpen blows.
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#13 » by daddyfivestar » Wed Dec 5, 2007 1:36 am

The Twins thank you. You just made NY the 5th best ALTeam. They'll have to rethink their Santana package now to keep pace.
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,189

Post#14 » by heatwillbeback » Wed Dec 5, 2007 1:40 am

congrats guys

Willis is a great player to be a fan of. He plays with energy and puts it all out on the field. Not as productive as he used to be, but fans willl love him and he will be solid...and solid is all you win need with your lineup......

as for Cabrera, you obviously got a superstar, and also you got a young player with hof potential...look at his age and numbers the past 3 years, and beleive it- the guy is going to go down as one of the best hitters in history if he progresses as players his age normally do........
his d will give you headaches, but he has an arm at third base. Also he could lose some weight to increase his defense, and with a new team and the leadership of Pudge (who lost a lot of weight), maybe that could happen......
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Post#15 » by cochiseuofm » Wed Dec 5, 2007 2:38 am

Unreal...add in the fact that one of the other headlines is that Cabrera is losing weight after Ozzie Guillen told him to and this is a great day for the Tigers.

Maybin and Miller are tough to give up, but as others have said...Willis and Cabrera are 25 and 24.
bulls 07
Sophomore

Post#16 » by bulls 07 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 2:59 am

a-rod wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

when you get player that good you make room for him period.

seriously, are you joking?

miggy is a top 3 hitter in the game. brandon inge? rofl! miggy will be a 1st ballot hall of famer, if he cant put off the pounds he might have to play DH though
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,864

Post#17 » by theBigLip » Wed Dec 5, 2007 3:48 am

I'm not a huge baseball fan but I can appreciate a good trade and what looks like an awesome lineup. And for some bullpen help, there are a few more months before the season starts and it looks like the Tigers are not sitting around this offseason, so more help could be on the way.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#18 » by Manocad » Wed Dec 5, 2007 4:01 am

As a big Tigers fan and having a wealth of baseball knowledge, I am ECSTATIC about this trade.

There were already questions about how to get Maybin into the Tigers lineup with Granderson in center. And Maybin was another year away from being able to seriously contribute anyway. Don't get me wrong, he's an awesome talent and should be a great major leaguer, but anyone that knows baseball and saw him play this year could clearly tell that he was like a deer in headlights more often than not at the plate. Defense is defense no matter what level you play at. Baserunning is baserunning no matter what level you play at. Pitching is another story altogether. You learn how to hit big league pitching by hitting big league pitching. And Maybin is not at the point where he can hit big league pitching on a regular basis.

I like Inge. He does what's asked of him, he's been here a long time, he makes some highlight reel plays, and he's versatile as hell. But he can't hit, plain and simple. When you can swap him with Cabrera, you do it. Period.

Andrew Miller was also another year away. Lots of talent, still needs consistency and mental toughness.

The Tigers' lineup becomes DEVASTATING with this trade. And with the farm system in the shape it's in I think this trade is an absolute no-brainer.
westMIfan
Sophomore

Post#19 » by westMIfan » Wed Dec 5, 2007 4:15 am

Anyway we can trade Inge for someone to replace Todd Jones. Jones had a bad year and I would love to get someone to replace him. Im not sure what Inge's value is, especially with Detroit not having any room for him. But he is a damn good defensive player. This guy has the potential to make sportsecenter type stuff on defense. Not to mention he is versatile as hell. Any decent-good relief pitchers on the market.

ESPN wrote: Now that the Tigers are on the verge of acquiring Miguel Cabrera from Florida, the consensus is that Detroit will have to trade third baseman Brandon Inge. But Inge has three years and $19.1 million left on his contract, so the Tigers would almost certainly have to assume a portion of that. The Giants, Phillies, Twins, Angels and Brewers are among the clubs in the market for a third baseman. One NL manager said he thinks Inge could return to catching, since he's a fine athlete and broke into the big leagues behind the plate. But Inge hasn't caught since 2004, so that's probably a long shot.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/ind ... r_meetings
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#20 » by ajaX82 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 5:05 am

New Lineup:

CF: Granderson
2b: Polanco
3b: Cabrera
RF: Ordonez
DH: Sheff
SS: Renteria
1b: Guillen
C: Rodriguez
LF: Jones/Thames/Inge (Inge at 3rd, Cabrera in Left)

How do you get through those first 6??? Its sick. And 7-8-9 are as good as any bottom of the order in the league. We got speed, average and a lot of power. Dear god.

And the New Rotation:

Verlander
Willis
Bonderman
Rogers
Robertson

A 1-2-3 as good as any. A nice mix of L and R handers. If we could deal Inge for a solid relief pitcher or 2, i mean we have to be favorites, right?

Return to Detroit Tigers