Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Jacque Jones to Florida? 

Post#1 » by Flash3 » Wed May 14, 2008 12:51 pm

Detroit's Jones Wants To Play For Marlins
13th May, 2008 - 8:53 pm
The South Florida Sun-Sentinel - Given the chance, Tigers outfielder Jacque Jones would prefer to play for the Florida Marlins, according to a report in The South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

He was designated for assignment by Detroit last week, and told an associate of his preference.

"It would probably be his top destination," the associate said. "Last year he was really excited about the opportunity to go down there. It was something that almost came to fruition."

He has no control over his future for now, as the Tigers have until Friday to either trade or release him. [READ]
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
OoAnd1
Head Coach
And1: 14

Post#2 » by OoAnd1 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:17 am

For the minimum? Yes, please. He is a far better hitter than Alfredo. A platoon of Jones and Ross brings power back to the lead-off spot (which we loss with Hanley moving to 3) while not sacrificing speed or defense.

Also allows Alfredo to be our utility player again...furthermore, allowing Andino to go back to the minors to actual play some baseball. He's never gonna improve sitting on our bench...and he sure isn't ready to be in the big leagues....not yet.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Flash3 » Fri May 16, 2008 11:10 pm

South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Outfielder Jacque Jones may be Marlin soon

BY JUAN C. RODRIGUEZ

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

12:31 AM EDT, May 16, 2008

Former Tigers outfielder Jacque Jones cleared waivers Thursday morning and could be a Marlin as soon as today, according an industry source who has spoken with club officials.

Damon Lapa, Jones' agent, would not confirm the Marlins' interest or name any other teams that had initiated discussions. He did say his client hoped to narrow the field to a couple of finalists in the next day or two.

"We've started some dialogue with a number of clubs," Lapa said. "Ever since he technically became free there's been an uptick in intensity. He's weighing all his options."

In this case money isn't a factor. With the Tigers on the hook for the remainder of his $5.5 million 2008 salary, whichever team signs Jones would pay him the prorated major league minimum, roughly $268,000.

Jones can play all three outfield positions and would give the Marlins additional veteran depth with Josh Willingham (back) out.

On the disabled list since April 28, Willingham suffered a setback while swinging earlier this week and has no timetable for a return.

"I want to say, yeah, but maybe not all the way," said Willingham, on if he was back to square one. "I probably was a little overanxious and tried to do too much too soon as far as swinging and activities, and now I'm dealing with it."

The left-handed hitting Jones, 33, also would give the Marlins another option in the leadoff spot. Born in San Diego, Jones continues to make his residence in that city's suburbs and could opt to sign with a team closer to home.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/base ... rint.story
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Flash3 » Mon May 19, 2008 11:34 pm

Jacque Jones Joins First-Place Marlins
19th May, 2008 - 11:04 am
ESPN - Jacque Jones got his wish as he officially became a member of the Florida Marlins on Monday morning, according to a report on ESPN.com.

The outfielder, who was released by Detroit last week, made it known that he would prefer to play in South Florida with the first-place Marlins.

He'll likely bat leadoff for the Marlins, who recently moved shortstop Hanley Ramirez to the third spot in the batting order. [READ]
travis minor
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#5 » by travis minor » Tue May 20, 2008 11:28 pm

this probably means maybin won't be up until late call ups

Return to Miami Marlins