Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Re: 2015 season dodgers game thread 

Post#1 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Apr 9, 2015 9:25 pm

Dodgers acquire Ryan Webb.

You guys have the goods on him?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#2 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Apr 9, 2015 9:26 pm

Eduardo A. Encina ✔ @EddieInTheYard
Follow
Confirming #Orioles dealing Ryan Webb & minor league catcher Brian Ward to #Dodgers. O's competitive balance draft pick also going to LA.
3:58 PM - 9 Apr 2015
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Webb and Ward 

Post#3 » by Ranma » Thu Apr 9, 2015 10:07 pm

Mike Petriello, DodgersDigest.com (4/9/15)
Say this for the new front office: They do not mess around. After only three games (and one bullpen implosion), the Dodgers have apparently made a move, sending minor league catcher Chris O’Brien and reliever Ben Rowen to Baltimore for reliever Ryan Webb, minor league catcher Brian Ward, and a competitive balance pick, No. 74 overall in the upcoming draft, giving the Dodgers four of the top 74 picks.

Obviously, all that time with Oakland gives GM Farhan Zaidi some nice familiarity with Webb, and in six seasons he’s been a decent enough reliever, with a nearly identical ERA/FIP of 3.38/3.37. He doesn’t miss bats, but he does get a ton of grounders. That’s what you’d expect when you have a guy who throws his sinker 60% of the time, and he throws it pretty hard. I’m guessing this isn’t entirely unrelated to the loss of Brandon League, actually.

Really, Webb’s a useful enough guy who got let go only because the Orioles had entirely too many relievers — Zach Britton and Tommy Hunter and Brian Matusz and Wesley Wright and Kevin Gausman and Darren O’Day — and needed to clear up a roster spot. Personally, I would have preferred Matusz, also rumored to have been available, but really, who can complain when Webb came for free?

Dodgers Add Bullpen Depth in Ryan Webb

Eric Stephen, TrueBlueLA.com (4/9/15)
The Dodgers will also get the Orioles competitive balance draft pick, No. 74 overall. That pick, between the second and third rounds of the 2015 MLB Draft, has a slot value of $827,000, per Baseball America.

The Orioles designated Webb for assignment on Monday. He will earn $2.75 million this season.

Webb is famous among listeners of the Effectively Wild podcast from Baseball Prospectus, with his 317 career games in relief without a save, third most all-time, and second among active players to Matt Albers. But given that the Dodgers have turned to two different pitchers to get saves in their first three games - Chris Hatcher and Joel Peralta - might Webb notch a save before Kenley Jansen's return in May?

Webb is out of options, having used them in 2009, 2010 and 2014.

Dodgers Acquire Ryan Webb, Brian Ward, Draft Pick from Orioles

[tweet]https://twitter.com/1TimMurray/status/586273266836365313[/tweet]
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,248

We get Ryan Webb then dump his a$$ 

Post#4 » by Kilroy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:00 am

LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers on Thursday added to their bullpen, acquiring relief pitcher Ryan Webb along with minor league catcher Brian Ward from the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for pitcher Ben Rowen and catcher Chris O`Brien, the team announced.

The Dodgers will also get the Orioles competitive balance draft pick, No. 74 overall. That pick, between the second and third rounds of the 2015 MLB Draft, has a slot value of $827,000, per Baseball America.

Webb, 29, was 3-3 with a 3.83 ERA and 2.95 FIP in 51 games for the Orioles in 2014, with 37 strikeouts and 12 walks in 49⅓ innings. In six years with the Padres, Marlins and Orioles the right-hander has a 3.38 ERA and 3.37 FIP in 317 career games, with 229 strikeouts and 109 walks in 325⅓ innings....

http://www.truebluela.com/2015/4/9/8379553/ryan-webb-brian-ward-trade-dodgers-orioles-draft-pick-ben-
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Ranma
RealGM

Cut-and-Pasted 

Post#5 » by Ranma » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:13 am

Here's the info from the post in the 2015 Season Dodgers Game Thread for more convenient reference and discussion to the dedicated topic in this thread. Brian Ward from the same deal also sounds intriguing as a topnotch defensive catcher who can hopefully be more than former Dodger and current Padre Tim Federowicz.

Mike Petriello, DodgersDigest.com (4/9/15)
Say this for the new front office: They do not mess around. After only three games (and one bullpen implosion), the Dodgers have apparently made a move, sending minor league catcher Chris O’Brien and reliever Ben Rowen to Baltimore for reliever Ryan Webb, minor league catcher Brian Ward, and a competitive balance pick, No. 74 overall in the upcoming draft, giving the Dodgers four of the top 74 picks.

Obviously, all that time with Oakland gives GM Farhan Zaidi some nice familiarity with Webb, and in six seasons he’s been a decent enough reliever, with a nearly identical ERA/FIP of 3.38/3.37. He doesn’t miss bats, but he does get a ton of grounders. That’s what you’d expect when you have a guy who throws his sinker 60% of the time, and he throws it pretty hard. I’m guessing this isn’t entirely unrelated to the loss of Brandon League, actually.

Really, Webb’s a useful enough guy who got let go only because the Orioles had entirely too many relievers — Zach Britton and Tommy Hunter and Brian Matusz and Wesley Wright and Kevin Gausman and Darren O’Day — and needed to clear up a roster spot. Personally, I would have preferred Matusz, also rumored to have been available, but really, who can complain when Webb came for free?

Dodgers Add Bullpen Depth in Ryan Webb

Eric Stephen, TrueBlueLA.com (4/9/15)

The Orioles designated Webb for assignment on Monday. He will earn $2.75 million this season.

Webb is famous among listeners of the Effectively Wild podcast from Baseball Prospectus, with his 317 career games in relief without a save, third most all-time, and second among active players to Matt Albers. But given that the Dodgers have turned to two different pitchers to get saves in their first three games - Chris Hatcher and Joel Peralta - might Webb notch a save before Kenley Jansen's return in May?

Webb is out of options, having used them in 2009, 2010 and 2014.

Dodgers Acquire Ryan Webb, Brian Ward, Draft Pick from Orioles

[tweet]https://twitter.com/1TimMurray/status/586273266836365313[/tweet]
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#6 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:29 pm

Good looks Ranma. Wonder why one thing says he's capable of missing bats and the other one says that he actually doesn't miss bats. Maybe that's a flaw.

Why is Kershaw throwing tomorrow? I get that he's on normal rest but why not give him a 5th day where we can?
isn't that what Nicasio is for?
Ranma
RealGM

Discrepancy in Scouting Reports 

Post#7 » by Ranma » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:37 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Good looks Ranma. Wonder why one thing says he's capable of missing bats and the other one says that he actually doesn't miss bats. Maybe that's a flaw.

Thanks, Quake. With regards to the discrepancy in scouting reports on Webb, I'll attribute it to possibly outdated info from the screenshot of the thumbnail read from Sports Forecaster. While I like Sports Forecaster to familiarize myself with players I don't know much about, they aren't very detailed and have shown to be slow to update their scouting reports in the past, though they've gotten better with that, especially for more prominent profiles.

I'd side with the Petriello's take for DodgersDigest.com and Stephens' for TrueBlueLA.com over Sports Forecaster's since both are reputable sources who follow the team more closely and have more timely up-to-date reads on players, especially those already in the Dodgers' system, obviously. I particularly like Petriello's inclusion of Fan Graphs and Brooks Baseball data. I'd compare the difference of reports akin to an NBAdraft.net profile of a particular prospect versus one from DraftExpress.com. NBAdraft.net gives a good quick read, especially with their player comparisons, but their scouting reports tend to be outdated, whereas DraftExpress.com is more in-depth and timely.

Having said that, the Sports Forecaster reports states that Webb is capable of missing bats with his stuff while Petriello says he actually doesn't. Aside from different takes from two observers, it could point to him once having the potential to miss bats while he has since settled into taming his stuff. This, again, points to the likelihood of an outdated earlier report.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#8 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:35 pm

good info to know on YG.
He also had a reputation for not getting along with the pitchers in SD. So maybe he never allowed himself to get familiar with them and thus his framing became a problem.

Maybe it's just going to be a problem going forward. Who knows?

Ryan Webb apparently hasn't reported yet.
weird.
Ranma
RealGM

Webb of Intrigue 

Post#9 » by Ranma » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:01 pm

Grandal's disconnect with SD's pitchers had them reluctant to work with him and preferring other catching options so that would definitely explain his unfamiliarity with them. The Dodgers front office have talked to Grandal about this as well as his bout with PEDs. For the most part, he seems to acknowledge and be working on correcting those issues, but I'm not going to be forgiving if he relapses in either case.

With regard to the delay with Webb, it seems to be centered around his reluctance to report for minor league assignment since he was unwilling to do so for the Orioles and presumably now the Dodgers. I like that the Dodgers want to evaluate him in a few outings in Oklahoma City before placing him in a major league role. Dude better show some flexibility or I'd just as soon release him, which would end up having the Dodgers basically pay $2.75 million (plus corresponding luxury tax and a couple of negligible prospects) for the 74th overall pick in the 2015 MLB draft and defensive catching prospect Brian Ward.

Eric Stephens, TrueBlueLA.com (4/11/15)
Webb cleared outright waivers with the Orioles, per Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun, and with that salary would likely clear again. But with five years, 11 days of major league service time Webb can decline any outright assignment to the minor leagues, something he already did with Baltimore.

"That's already been taken care of," Webb said Monday, per Roch Kubatko of MASN. "I will not accept assignment."

Perhaps that is what the Dodgers are waiting on, trying to take the weekend to convince Webb to spend some time in Triple-A Oklahoma City, perhaps adding an out clause should he not be added to the major league roster by a certain date.

Or the front office might be working on another trade.

Whatever happens with Webb, we should have a better idea by Sunday, or perhaps Monday at the latest.

Ryan Webb Not Expected to Join Dodgers in Arizona
Ranma
RealGM

Get your butt to OKC, Webb. 

Post#10 » by Ranma » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:20 pm

Webb apparently is reluctant to report to the Dodgers for minor league assignment since he refused to do so for the Orioles. I like that the Dodgers want to evaluate him in a few outings in Oklahoma City before placing him in a major league role. Dude better show some flexibility or I'd just as soon release him, which would end up having the Dodgers basically pay $2.75 million (plus corresponding luxury tax and a couple of negligible prospects) for the 74th overall pick in the 2015 MLB draft and defensive catching prospect Brian Ward.

Eric Stephens, TrueBlueLA.com (4/11/15)
Webb cleared outright waivers with the Orioles, per Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun, and with that salary would likely clear again. But with five years, 11 days of major league service time Webb can decline any outright assignment to the minor leagues, something he already did with Baltimore.

"That's already been taken care of," Webb said Monday, per Roch Kubatko of MASN. "I will not accept assignment."

Perhaps that is what the Dodgers are waiting on, trying to take the weekend to convince Webb to spend some time in Triple-A Oklahoma City, perhaps adding an out clause should he not be added to the major league roster by a certain date.

Or the front office might be working on another trade.

Whatever happens with Webb, we should have a better idea by Sunday, or perhaps Monday at the latest.

Ryan Webb Not Expected to Join Dodgers in Arizona
Ranma
RealGM

Guerrero Rises and Webb DFA'd 

Post#11 » by Ranma » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:22 am

Even though Guerrero was a shortstop in Cuba, he's had difficulty playing second base. He's worked on his defense this summer to play multiple positions including 3B and LF and seems more comfortable. I haven't seen Olivera play a lot, but from what little I've seen and from what I've heard, Olivera should be the better fielder at 3B and 2B assuming he's healthy.

Also, here's an update on the Webb situation:

Charlie Wilmoth, MLBTradeRumors.com (4/12/15)
The Dodgers have outrighted righty reliever Ryan Webb to Triple-A Oklahoma City, according to the MLB.com transactions page. The team acquired Webb from the Orioles late last week after Baltimore designated him for assignment. He had not yet reported to the team. Since Webb has over five years of MLB service, he can refuse an outright assignment, although it’s not yet clear whether he’s done that.

Webb had already cleared outright waivers with the Orioles. He is set to make $2.75MM this season. It appears, then, that the trade between the Dodgers and Orioles was almost entirely about the Dodgers taking on Webb’s salary, which is likely why the Orioles were willing to give up a Competitive Balance Round B pick in the deal even though they were also the team giving up a big-league player.

Dodgers Outright Ryan Webb
Ranma
RealGM

Webb Outrighted to OKC 

Post#12 » by Ranma » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:27 am

The Dodgers have outrighted righty reliever Ryan Webb to Triple-A Oklahoma City, according to the MLB.com transactions page. The team acquired Webb from the Orioles late last week after Baltimore designated him for assignment. He had not yet reported to the team. Since Webb has over five years of MLB service, he can refuse an outright assignment, although it’s not yet clear whether he’s done that.

Webb had already cleared outright waivers with the Orioles. He is set to make $2.75MM this season. It appears, then, that the trade between the Dodgers and Orioles was almost entirely about the Dodgers taking on Webb’s salary, which is likely why the Orioles were willing to give up a Competitive Balance Round B pick in the deal even though they were also the team giving up a big-league player.

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Guerrero Rises and Webb DFA'd 

Post#13 » by Neddy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:29 am

Ranma wrote:Even though Guerrero was a shortstop in Cuba, he's had difficulty playing second base. He's worked on his defense this summer to play multiple positions including 3B and LF and seems more comfortable. I haven't seen Olivera play a lot, but from what little I've seen and from what I've heard, Olivera should be the better fielder at 3B and 2B assuming he's healthy.

Also, here's an update on the Webb situation:

so, Ryan Webb is the baseball equivalent of Jered Dudley.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

At Least We're on the Other Side of Such an Exchange 

Post#14 » by Ranma » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:36 am

Neddy wrote:so, Ryan Webb is the baseball equivalent of Jered Dudley.

:lol: Quite possibly but the dude has a chance to come to his senses and report to OKC. I don't get what the big deal is for him. The Dodgers have a clear need for more bullpen support, so if he's as good a he thinks he is, show up in the minors and throw a few innings and he should be in the show in no time. Plus, our advanced and progressive player development would be something he wouldn't get access to anywhere else.
Ranma
RealGM

Well, speak of the devil. 

Post#15 » by Ranma » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:48 am

Eric Stephen, TrueBlueLA.com (4/12/15)
New Dodgers relief pitcher isn't quite a Dodgers relief pitcher just yet, at least not in Los Angeles. a Ryan Webb, acquired via trade from the Orioles on Thursday, was sent outright to Triple-A Oklahoma City on Sunday, and has accepted the assignment.

Webb was designated for assignment by Baltimore on Monday and, before he was traded, told the Orioles he would not accept an assignment to Triple-A Norfolk.

Ryan Webb Accepts Outright Assignment to Triple-A Oklahoma City
Ranma
RealGM

Webb Accepts OKC Assignment 

Post#16 » by Ranma » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:50 am

Eric Stephen, TrueBlueLA.com (4/12/15)
New Dodgers relief pitcher isn't quite a Dodgers relief pitcher just yet, at least not in Los Angeles. a Ryan Webb, acquired via trade from the Orioles on Thursday, was sent outright to Triple-A Oklahoma City on Sunday, and has accepted the assignment.

Webb was designated for assignment by Baltimore on Monday and, before he was traded, told the Orioles he would not accept an assignment to Triple-A Norfolk.

Ryan Webb Accepts Outright Assignment to Triple-A Oklahoma City
Ranma
RealGM

Webb Released; Signs with Indians 

Post#17 » by Ranma » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:11 am

Ryan Webb has just been released and signed a minor league deal with the Indians today. WTF, Webb?! You'll go to the Indians' minor league team but not the Dodgers'. Good riddance. So we basically bought a draft pick and got a defensive catcher for good measure. Good enough for me.

Steve Adams, MLBTradeRumors.com (4/13/15)
The Dodgers announced that they have released recently acquired right-hander Ryan Webb. With this move, it becomes relatively clear that L.A.’s incentive in making the swap was simply to acquire the Competitive Balance draft pick that Baltimore included in order to get the Dodgers to assume all of Webb’s $2.75MM salary — a strategy that was examined in depth last night by MLBTR’s Charlie Wilmoth.

The 29-year-old Webb will now be free to sign anywhere he chooses, and as a player with five-plus years of service time, he is entitled to reject his outright assignment and force the club to trade or release him (with pay). As such, interested parties will only be on the hook for the pro-rated portion of the league minimum on a big league deal, with the Dodgers owing the remainder of his salary. That’s not necessarily a bad outcome for Webb, who is still guaranteed his money and is now free to choose a club that presents him the clearest path to a role to his liking.

Dodgers Release Ryan Webb

Jeff Todd, MLBTradeRumors.com (4/13/15)
The Indians have reached a minor league deal with righty Ryan Webb, the club announced. Webb has been assigned to the club’s Triple-A affiliate.

Indians Sign Ryan Webb
Ranma
RealGM

Webb Gone 

Post#18 » by Ranma » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:22 am

Ryan Webb has just been released and signed a minor league deal with the Indians today. WTF, Webb?! You'll go to the Indians' minor league team but not the Dodgers'. Good riddance. So we basically bought a draft pick and got a defensive catcher for good measure. Good enough for me.

The Dodgers announced that they have released recently acquired right-hander Ryan Webb. With this move, it becomes relatively clear that L.A.’s incentive in making the swap was simply to acquire the Competitive Balance draft pick that Baltimore included in order to get the Dodgers to assume all of Webb’s $2.75MM salary — a strategy that was examined in depth last night by MLBTR’s Charlie Wilmoth.

The 29-year-old Webb will now be free to sign anywhere he chooses, and as a player with five-plus years of service time, he is entitled to reject his outright assignment and force the club to trade or release him (with pay). As such, interested parties will only be on the hook for the pro-rated portion of the league minimum on a big league deal, with the Dodgers owing the remainder of his salary. That’s not necessarily a bad outcome for Webb, who is still guaranteed his money and is now free to choose a club that presents him the clearest path to a role to his liking.

The Indians have reached a minor league deal with righty Ryan Webb, the club announced. Webb has been assigned to the club’s Triple-A affiliate.

Indians Sign Ryan Webb
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Webb Released; Signs with Indians 

Post#19 » by Neddy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:40 am

Ranma wrote:Ryan Webb has just been released and signed a minor league deal with the Indians today. WTF, Webb?! You'll go to the Indians' minor league team but not the Dodgers'. Good riddance. So we basically bought a draft pick and got a defensive catcher for good measure. Good enough for me.

Indians Sign Ryan Webb

maybe his contract was a split deal? if demoted to AAA he may receive a different number rather than his pro-rated major league salary week to week playing down in the bush league. I have no idea what the detail of the contract was, but it would make sense that by refusing to report, he was given his full contract to be bought out AND he still gets to make a small extra playing for the tribe's AAA team.

the Orioles fans are apparently missing that minor league catcher more than anything else. wonder what kind of a ceiling this kid has.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers