ImageImageImageImageImage

2016 MLB Amateur Player Draft

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

2016 MLB Amateur Player Draft 

Post#1 » by Ranma » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:15 am

I just want to start a separate thread to discuss prospects for the 2016 draft set for June 9th. I was reluctant to name prospects I liked since draft rankings fluctuate wildly from the preseason as well as between different publications and sources, but there's some players I've started following whose progress I wanted to keep track of. I'll probably discuss them in a later post.

MLB.com's initial rankings of the top 50 prospects in its 2016 Prospect Watch is a nice starting point, but I trust Baseball America's early rankings more at this juncture until we get closer to the draft.

The Dodgers are currently set to have 3 picks among the top 36 and 5 within the top 101 as of now. We will also select in the 25th selection slot of each round starting from the 4th round and thereafter once all the compensatory picks are awarded. Below are the current slot positions of our 5 draft picks in the first 3 rounds, which will be updated in this post as changes occur:

1st Round: 20th Overall
    1st Round: 32nd Overall (compensation for loss of Zack Greinke)
    Competitive Balance Round A: 36th Overall (compensation for failure to sign 2015 35th overall draftee Kyle Funkhouser)
    2nd Round: 65th Overall
    Competitive Balance Round B: None
    3rd Round: 101st Overall

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Top 100 Prep Prospects by Hudson Belinsky (12/1/15) 

Post#2 » by Ranma » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:19 am

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Top 100 College Prospects by Teddy Cahill (1/5/16) 

Post#3 » by Ranma » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:29 am

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: 2016 MLB Amateur Player Draft 

Post#4 » by Neddy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:05 am

well, looks like Funkhouser wasn't wrong to blow us off afterall.

and that one name by Cal Quantrill, is that Paul's kid? Paul the ex dodger from 15 years ago? if so, good for him!
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Not Feeling the Funk 

Post#5 » by Ranma » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:33 am

Funkhouser reminds me of Hochevar. He'll probably get drafted higher the following year than when the Dodgers drafted and failed to sign him, but he's not someone who will be terribly missed. In fact, I hope he gets drafted higher so that it moves others down the list for us to take.

I was just thinking about this yesterday: I'd rather have either Cal Quantrill or Jordan Sheffield than Funkhouser. Yes, Cal is indeed Paul Quantrill's son. No, Jordan is not Gary Sheffield's son, but he has a brother Justus, who was drafted 31st overall by the Cleveland Indians in the 2014 MLB draft. Both Cal and Jordan have dealt with Tommy John surgery but were high upside arms who still show flashes of their potential. Right now, I prefer Cal to Jordan but both were supposedly high up and out of our range for the 22nd overall pick in 2016 as college arms, but now look like possibilities at that draft slot.

OF Will Benson is another prospect who may have been pushed down a bit by the rise of others to be within reaching distance while 3B/RHP Josh Lowe's helium seems to be elevating him out of our range. Benson and Lowe are toolsy prep position prospects. Another name I'm enamored with is C Cooper Johnson. His defense is elite level with a bat that is in development but has something to work with. He reminds me of former Dodgers catcher Charles Johnson, who I was always fond of since his draft year. Who knows how Cooper will turn out as a hitter, but I love the idea of having an advanced defensive catcher in the system who is not hopeless with the bat.

Other names I like right now are UCLA-bound outfielders Blake Rutherford and Mickey Moniak, but neither should be available when our pick comes up. Pitchers Jason Groome, Alec Hansen, A.J. Puk, and Riley Pint are expected to be the first 4 picks in the draft while OF Buddy Reed and SS Delvin Perez are very intriguing prospects who are also projected to be out of reach. 3B/2B Nolan Jones is lauded for his leadership and compares favorably to Ben Zobrist while RHP Alex Speas is a live high-school arm who is often compared to Touki Toussaint due to their high upside and lack of polish. Flame-throwing right-handed pitcher Zack Burdi, like his brother Nick, can reach triple digits on the radar gun, but doesn't do it regularly like his sibling. Zack also doesn't have as good a secondary pitch as Nick's slider. However, Zack does have a cleaner delivery and throws more strikes, which makes him a better candidate to be a starting pitcher, but his fastball tends to flatten out.

Right now, I'm hoping for the following results

1st Round (20th Overall): Josh Lowe
    1st Round (32nd Overall): Nolan Jones
    Competitive Balance Round A (36th Overall): Alex Speas
    2nd Round (65th Overall): Cooper Johnson
    3rd Round (101st Overall): ?
In the likely event that Lowe will not be available at 20th overall, I'd take any of Benson > Quantrill > Sheffield in that order. If either Quantrill or Sheffield continue to slide to the 32nd overall pick due to injury concerns, I'd jump at the chance to take either of them. I really want Johnson in the Dodgers' farm system but his rankings have been all over the map as a projected 2nd or 3rd rounder with plenty of other catching prospects discussed as being ahead of him at one point or another, however, last year there was a run on name catchers early with the Angels surprisingly taking Taylor Ward 26th overall and the Braves snatching Lucas Herbert 54 overall. Given the gaps before and after our 2nd-round pick, I'd even be willing to use the 36th overall pick to select Cooper Johnson. Like I said, I really want him in our organization. I don't know enough to target 3rd-round prospects at this point but there are some intriguing names that have piqued my curiosity.
Ranma
RealGM

2016 MLB Draft and International Bonus Pool Money per Baseball America 

Post#6 » by Ranma » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:20 am

Ranma
RealGM

Preseason College Player-of-the-Year Candidates 

Post#7 » by Ranma » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:09 am

Ranma
RealGM

BA's 2016 Preseason Prep All-America Teams 

Post#8 » by Ranma » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:16 am

Staff Report, Baseball America (2/17/16)
Cooper Johnson, c, Carmel Catholic HS, Mundelein, Ill.
Mature physically and off the field as well, Johnson is a showcase vet. His glove is ahead of his bat at this stage. Johnson has soft hands, plus receiving skills and a potentially elite throwing arm. His pitch recognition and contact skills lag behind, but he has some bat speed that gives him offensive potential. The Mississippi commit stands out in a catcher class heavy on bat-first players.

Nolan Jones, mif, Holy Ghost Prep, Langhorne, Pa.
One of two first-team All-Americans from the Keystone State, Jones plays high school shortstop but profiles better on a corner, likely third base, either as a pro or if he makes it to college at Virginia. A prep hockey player, Jones has plus raw power that ranks toward the top of the class, as his swing has leverage and he’s added strength to his frame, gaining as much as 35 pounds in the last year. He has a plus arm as well.

Josh Lowe, 3b, Pope HS, Marietta, Ga.
Lowe has as much upside as any position player in the draft, with a 6-foot-4, 190-pound frame and the athleticism to make third base work even at his size. The Florida State signee has the arm strength to pitch with easy mid-90s velocity, but his raw power potential wins the day for scouts. His feel for hitting seemed to improve the more quality arms he saw over the course of the summer showcase circuit.

Will Benson, of, The Westminster Schools, Atlanta
With his Atlanta address, lefthanded swing and tall, lean frame, Benson gets physical comparisons to Jason Heyward. That does the Duke commit no favors, as Benson has some holes in his swing that he must work to close. He also has bat speed to rival any hitter in the class, giving him excellent raw power. He’s at least an average runner who fits the right field profile, though his stock is as volatile as any first-team hitter.

2016 Preseason High School All-America Teams

Ranma
RealGM

BA's 2016 Preseason College All-America Teams 

Post#9 » by Ranma » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:43 am

John Manuel, Baseball America (2/1/16)
Kyle Funkhouser, Louisville

Funkhouser gives Louisville three preseason first-team All-Americans, tying Florida for the most of any school. No one thought he’d be a two-time first-teamer, though, considering he was Louisville’s highest-drafted player in program history last year as the 35th overall pick. That was farther down than he anticipated coming into the season, though, and Funkhouser will have to avoid another second-half fade like he had a year ago.

His physical, workhorse body profiles him as a starter, as does a plus fastball that he locates well when he’s going right. The only senior on the list, Funkhouser had no Plan B last year down the stretch when he couldn’t put hitters away if they caught up to his fastball. He still has to improve his breaking ball and changeup, with neither earning above-average grades, and looks more like a back-of-the-rotation option to most clubs, albeit a safe option.

Zack Burdi, Louisville

Scouting directors voted Burdi’s older brother Nick, now in the Twins organization, as the first-team All-America closer prior to the 2014 season as well. They join past brother tandems such as the Drews (J.D. and Stephen), Shelbys (John and JaVon this year) and Weeks (Rickie and Jemile) in having two brothers voted as All-Americans.

Like his older brother, Burdi is a flamethrower. While he hasn’t reached 100 mph like Nick, the younger Burdi pumps his fastball into the upper 90s regularly with a hard slider that can be a swing-and-miss pitch as well.

2016 College Preseason All-America Teams

Neddy
RealGM

Post#10 » by Neddy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:21 am

hey man I didn't check back into this thread for some time and didn't reply to your post in timely manner, my bad. but I am impressed with the information you are able to post for the draft pool we can discuss about.

first of all, I am glad to see a few of the local kids be mentioned, and proud to see OSU continues to be one of the top flight baseball programs around the country. KJ Harrison was listed among the players for the golden spike award, but you have got to check out this kid named Logan Ice. how cool is his name!!!! and he is from the town in Washington where I bought my first house and still owns to this day, a place called Puyallup, a suburb of Tacoma... also a pitcher by the name of Luke Heimlich. yes it spells exactly the same as the famous life saving manuver, lol.

secondly, I have to say, when I saw that name Jordan Sheffield, the first thing I did was google him to see if he was related to Gary, lol.

lastly, good to have a son of an ex dodger potentially get discussed as our prospect for this upcoming draft. it reminds me of that highly unlikey and fictitous Kevin Costner's football movie (he should really just stick to baseball) the Draft Day with that one kid who plays the son of Terry Crews. with Joc already in the fold, good to see a second generation dodgers to take over the reign.

on a side note, I am secretly glad Don Mattingly's kid didn't pan out. my discontent for Don Mattingly's shortcomings alone was infuriating, if he had his kid coming up to play for the blue, I would have lost my mind... on the other hand, I don't mind Austin, but want his dad fired as our GM for the clips. good coach, but a terrible, terrible GM Doc is.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

K.J. Harrison 

Post#11 » by Ranma » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:09 am

No worries, Neddy. I haven't heard of either Logan Ice or Luke Heimlich, so I'll keep an eye out for stuff about them. I've heard of K.J. Harrison and, in fact, was going to put an excerpt about him in the BA preseason college All-America teams post, but noticed that he's a sophomore who is ineligible for the 2016 draft. Harrison may be someone to keep an eye on for the 2017 or 2018 draft. He's a 1B who's played C and might be able to play 3B; he's been on my radar for a bit but I was thinking we already have Mitch Hansen and Cody Bellinger, but it doesn't hurt to add more talent, especially if he can go back to catching or learns the hot corner.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: K.J. Harrison 

Post#12 » by Neddy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:48 am

Ranma wrote:No worries, Neddy. I haven't heard of either Logan Ice or Luke Heimlich, so I'll keep an eye out for stuff about them. I've heard of K.J. Harrison and, in fact, was going to put an excerpt about him in the BA preseason college All-America teams post, but noticed that he's a sophomore who is ineligible for the 2016 draft. Harrison may be someone to keep an eye on for the 2017 or 2018 draft. He's a 1B who's played C and might be able to play 3B; he's been on my radar for a bit but I was thinking we already have Mitch Hansen and Cody Bellinger, but it doesn't hurt to add more talent, especially if he can go back to catching or learns the hot corner.

OSU baseball isn't exactly UO Ducks football, but among the baseball faithfuls they are highly regarded and loved. the current Met Michael Conforto is a semi-deity practically. I believe Ice is eligible, and if he ever gets drafted by the Dodgers or any other team for that matter, I can only imagine all the Ice-related posters at every level he would play in. Ice-Ice-baby, cold as Ice, Icy-hot, and if he ever makes it to a triple crown, Ice Cube! lol.

if you like little guys like Ichiro, which isn't exactly my cup of tea but since you are a fan of Dee Gordon, keep an eye out for another OSU freshman named Steven Kwan. a listed 5-8 OF who is all speed and grit and no power... he is currently batting .000 so far into this early college baseball season but I would expect him to eventually become a major cog of the well oiled machine that is the hard balling Beaver.

haha sorry couldn't help myself. :lol:
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Kyle Muller Pops on Radar 

Post#13 » by Ranma » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:56 pm

Read on Twitter

David McNabb, WFAA.com (10/14/14)
Jesuit 6-5 junior left-hander Kyle Muller has committed to sign with Texas for the Class of 2016. Muller is had 25 strikeouts in 21.3 innings in helping Jesuit reach the second-round of the Class 5A state playoffs as a sophomore. Muller also is a top-hitting outfielder. Muller also is considered a top prospect for the 2016 major league draft. He combined in the 2013 playoff rotation with his older brother Chris Muller, who is pitching at Paris Junior College.

Jesuit Junior Pitcher Kyle Muller Commits to Texas Baseball
Ranma
RealGM

Like I Said, Sheffield > Funkhouser (It's Early) 

Post#14 » by Ranma » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Kiley McDaniel's Sortable Draft Boards for 2016-2018 

Post#15 » by Ranma » Tue Mar 8, 2016 10:23 am

Before Kiley McDaniel left FanGraphs to join the Atlanta Braves, he provided his draft boards for the 2016, 2017, and 2018 classes back in October. I just wanted to post a link to that sortable list for future reference. It's interesting that he thought that this year's top prospects are better and the class overall is deeper than last year's since I've been thinking the same thing despite talk of 2016 being a weak draft class. It may not be a great or even good class, overall, but it already seems better than 2015.

Kiley McDaniel, FanGraphs.com (10/13/15)
For the 2016 class, I ranked as far as I felt like there was some separation (63 players), then gave you 101 additional players who project for the top 3-4 rounds. For the 2017 class, I gave you a ranked top 30 then 42 additional players who have already emerged as early round prospects. For the 2018 class (that’s high school sophomores and the incoming college freshman who were high schoolers eligible for the draft last summer) I gave you 30 players and, within that 30, included four high schoolers who already have scouts excited. The additional players in the 2016 and 2017 sortable boards who aren’t ranked are grouped by pitcher/hitter and high school/college and then ranked roughly in order of my preference within those listings.

As a whole, this top group looks a little better than last year’s draft class and this class itself also appears to feature a little more depth, although it’s still too far early to be certain that will hold until next June.

Introducing the 2016-2018 Sortable Draft Ranking Boards
Ranma
RealGM

BA's Top 100 2016 Draft Prospects (3/10/16) 

Post#16 » by Ranma » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:57 am

Staff Report, Baseball America (3/10/16)
Alex (Connecticut): Who do you feel is a better starter between Jordan Sheffield and Connor Jones?
Hudson Belinsky: Good question. I personally see Connor Jones ahead of Jordan Sheffield for a few reasons. Jones has a wealth of pitches and he has more starter traits, with a better track record of health, innings building and command. At various points throughout a given outing, Jones will show a plus fastball, plus slider, and plus changeup. If he puts it all together—or gets close to doing so—he could be a middle of the rotation starter. Mr. Sheffield, on the other hand, has some of the most electric arm speed in the class, and it can be difficult for pitchers with that kind of explosive quick-twitch ability to develop timing and repetition. Sheffield’s slight frame also reduces the plane on his fastball, which can come into the zone flat at times. Sheffield’s offspeed stuff is good but doesn’t quite fit into the plus category, though he has a sharp breaking ball and has shown feel for a changeup at times. With all of that said, starting is not out of the question for Sheffield, and if he figures it all out he could be a monster.

Mike (South Jersey): How is Cal Quantrill's recovery from TJ surgery coming along ? You have him at #29. Will he pitch enough to climb higher before the draft ?
Hudson Belinsky: There are a lot of rumors circulating about Cal Quantrill. It seems unlikely that he’ll pitch in games before the draft, though it is possible. He will likely throw bullpens for teams as the draft gets close. If we’re thinking long-term, it makes more sense for him to follow a normal routine and not rush back before his body is ready.

Jordan A. (Los Angeles): What are your thoughts on #83 Nolan Martinez (RHP, Culver City CA)? Has really increased in velo over the past couple of months.
Hudson Belinsky: #HeliumAlert! Nolan Martinez has been routinely pitching in the low 90s—getting as high as 95—with impressive life and a gnarly breaking ball. He’s on the rise.

Brad (San Diego): If Kyle Funkhouser rights the ship and pitches OK the rest of the season, will his extremely poor start still have a large effect on his stock come June?
Hudson Belinsky: Yes, it will be difficult for him to change peoples’ minds at this point. Some high level scouts have just seen him so bad that it will be hard for them to block out. He hasn’t been at his best for quite a long time at this point, and consistency was never his strong suit, even when he was pitching well.

Ben (Miamisburg, OH): Catcher depth seems pretty deep 40-100, but light at the top. Who can you see making a big rise up the lists like Tyler Stephenson did last year?
Hudson Belinsky: I’m not sure anyone is going to make that kind of rise, but Spartanburg Methodist catcher Tyler Lancaster has some buzz as a solid catch-and-throw guy with power. He has a high profile teammate in OF Kep Brown, so a lot of high level scouts will see him. It would not surprise me to see Cooper Johnson assert himself down the stretch, given his bat speed and the level of competition he’s likely to face.

Dennis (Wisconsin): What's your take on Josh Lowe? Is he a candidate to push up into top 5?
Hudson Belinsky: I’m a big fan of Josh Lowe. He has at least plus raw power, plus arm strength, and plus speed. The batted ball profile included a lot of high trajectory flies last summer, but he showed the ability to hit line drives in Jupiter at the WWBA World Championship. He’s off to a shaky start this spring, struggling against lefties and swinging and missing a bit too much. I don’t see him going that high, even if he turns a corner. Just a little too risky for a top 5 pick.

Top 100 Draft Prospects Chat

Hudson Belinsky, Baseball America (3/10/16)
One notable slide is that of Kyle Funkhouser, who returned to Louisville for his senior season after the Dodgers selected him in the supplemental first round in 2015. The early reviews on Funkhouser this spring are overwhelmingly poor, with his fastball velocity down to 88-91 mph, his command graded as below average and his offspeed stuff lacking consistency. We ranked Funkhouser based on his track record, and previously glowing evaluations. If he can right the ship, he could move back up by the next time we rank players. If he doesn’t correct his issues, there’s no telling how far he might slide

2016 Top 100 Draft Prospects

Ranma
RealGM

Callis Answers Twitter Question About Cooper Johnson 

Post#17 » by Ranma » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:45 pm

Jim Callis, MLB.com (3/11/16)
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FANspire/status/706994724133941249[/tweet]
Jonathan Mayo and I will start bombarding you with weekly Draft projections in May. We'll start ramping up MLBPipeline's Draft coverage before then, expanding our Top 50 Prospects list to 100 in April and to 200 the following month.

As for Johnson, he's the top defensive catcher in this year's high school crop, with a strong arm and advanced receiving skills. The Carmel Catholic High (Mundelein, Ill.) product is more of a contact hitter right now, but he has some bat speed and power potential. If Johnson has a big spring with the bat, he'll be a first-rounder, though it's safer to project him as a second-rounder right now.

Inbox: Looking Back at Rangers' Dominant Farm
Ranma
RealGM

BA's 1st Mock Draft: Nolan Jones & Matt Krook 

Post#18 » by Ranma » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:54 am

It's an early mock draft, but I have hopes of selecting a prospect with a higher upside than Nolan Jones with our 1st 2016 draft selection. However, both Jones and Matt Krook are prospects I've given selective consideration for the Dodgers' 2016 draft. Jones is a safe prospect but seems to have added some upside recently in his development. He makes a lot of sense as a versatile and skilled player with good makeup for the organization as a Ben Zobrist and Austin Barnes type; I considered him more at our 32nd overall pick rather than 20th overall. However, he seems to have gained some helium pushing himself up the draft board due to increased power projection with recently added weight to his frame.

Krook is a high-upside arm who's coming back from Tommy John surgery. He was previously selected 35th overall out of high school in 2013 by Miami, so he was already previously highly regarded. He could present another Walker Buehler opportunity for us in terms of value but with higher upside. Like Jordan Sheffield and Cal Quantrill--prospects I've previously noted interest in as well--a lot of his value is tied to his health and performance recovering from arm injury. If Alec Hansen drops like the BA mock projects, he could be a steal. Pitchers Kevin Gowdy and Matt Manning are a couple of other intriguing arms I'm interested in as well.

In addition to the Baseball America mock draft and Nolan Jones profile from TrueBlueLA.com, I've included quotes from my previous posts mentioning Jones. Plus, the bottom MLB Pipeline profiles for both Jones and Krook are embedded with links to their respective MLB.com draft profile videos. [Click on images to be directed to footage.]

Read on Twitter

Hudson Belinski, Baseball America (3/30/16)
20. Dodgers: Nolan Jones, ss, Holy Ghost Prep, Langhorne, Pa. | [url=]Video[/url]

The arrow is pointing up on Jones, who added significant muscle in the fall. The Dodgers can afford to gamble on upside this high in the draft, and Jones has a high ceiling as left-side infielder with power potential.

32. Dodgers: Matt Krook, lhp, Oregon

Assuming the Dodgers have taken Nolan Jones, they could choose to double down on impact potential here at No. 32. Krook has been hot and cold this season, battling command issues, but he’s a southpaw who has a fastball with life, and promising breaking pitches, so he could be an appealing option for Los Angeles at this spot.

Mock Draft: March 30

David Hood, TrueBlueLA.com (3/26/16)
Jones is one of the more physically impressive position players in the upcoming draft. He has plenty of room to add muscle to his lean frame, and could carry 215 lbs. rather comfortably in his prime. He exhibits excellent body control and agility for a player his size, possibly only lacking pure plus speed from a future tools standpoint. His overall athleticism should help him respond quickly to fix flaws in his game.

Offensively, Jones has above average bat speed and the chance for potential plus power in the future. His present swing is short to the ball and makes contact at a slight uppercut, and he has the ability to drive balls into the gaps. He has the tendency to fly open on contact and can pull off the ball, but both are correctable flaws. Jones also could stand to incorporate his lower half more into his swing.

Jones exhibits both plus range and a plus arm defensively. His hands work fine for the infield and he shouldn't need to move off shortstop for the time being. What makes Jones so intriguing defensively is that his athleticism and arm strength should allow him to work in at both third base and in the outfield during his development. Some reports, like the one from MLB Pipeline, suggest that Jones might even fit as an offensive minded second baseman.

2016 MLB Draft Profile: Nolan Jones

Ranma wrote:3B/2B Nolan Jones is lauded for his leadership and compares favorably to Ben Zobrist...

Staff Report, Baseball America (2/17/16)
Nolan Jones, mif, Holy Ghost Prep, Langhorne, Pa.
One of two first-team All-Americans from the Keystone State, Jones plays high school shortstop but profiles better on a corner, likely third base, either as a pro or if he makes it to college at Virginia. A prep hockey player, Jones has plus raw power that ranks toward the top of the class, as his swing has leverage and he’s added strength to his frame, gaining as much as 35 pounds in the last year. He has a plus arm as well.

2016 Preseason High School All-America Teams

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Post#19 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Apr 2, 2016 10:28 pm

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-top-college-players-by-maybe-predictive-stats-9/

posting this because I know you can use it.
I'm gonna take a second before I take on the task of tackling the MLB draft but when I do it, I'll read everything in this thread.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Logan Ice, the Mockingjay: Catcher on Fire 

Post#20 » by Ranma » Sun Apr 3, 2016 3:48 am

There are a lot of interesting names as catching prospects for the 2016 draft including Cumberland and Ice. Neddy has been particularly high on Logan Ice while I've been partial to Cooper Johnson, myself. I'd love to come away with both Johnson and Ice from this draft class to go behind Austin Barnes on the depth chart for catchers in the Dodgers' system. The link Quake provided in the immediate post above led to some very informative bits about Logan Ice, who sounds quite impressive when coupled with Neddy's endorsement.

Seth Beer was a guy identified early on the draft radar but he bypassed his senior season of high school to be a college freshman, which made him ineligible for the 2016 draft class. It's a shame as he's been doing quite well in improving his prospect status lately. Meanwhile, Kyle Funkhouser has dropped like a rock on draft boards. Not that I'm surprised given how meh I was upon his selection as the Dodgers' 35th overall selection in 2015. I'd still avoid him unless we get him in the 3rd or 4th round or something; to be honest, I don't even like him as a 3rd-round pick either.

Neddy wrote:...but you have got to check out this kid named Logan Ice. how cool is his name!!!! and he is from the town in Washington where I bought my first house and still owns to this day, a place called Puyallup, a suburb of Tacoma...
Neddy wrote:OSU baseball isn't exactly UO Ducks football, but among the baseball faithfuls they are highly regarded and loved. the current Met Michael Conforto is a semi-deity practically. I believe Ice is eligible, and if he ever gets drafted by the Dodgers or any other team for that matter, I can only imagine all the Ice-related posters at every level he would play in. Ice-Ice-baby, cold as Ice, Icy-hot, and if he ever makes it to a triple crown, Ice Cube! lol.
Quake Griffin wrote:http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-top-college-players-by-maybe-predictive-stats-9/

posting this because I know you can use it.
I'm gonna take a second before I take on the task of tackling the MLB draft but when I do it, I'll read everything in this thread.

Carson Cistulli, FanGraphs,com (4/1/16)
ACC
Top Batter

Seth Beer, COF, Clemson (Fr)

Notes
Right fielder Seth Beer isn’t technically a true freshman — indeed, he’s what one might refer to whimsically as a “reverse redshirt” — because, instead of sitting out his freshman season, what Beer actually did was to bypass his senior spring of high school this year to instead enroll at Clemson in January and play baseball. The result: the top batting line in the ACC by a number of measures. Of particular — and possibly even predictive — note, one finds that Beer has produced both (a) one of the lowest regressed strikeout rates and (b) the actual highest regressed isolated-power figure in the conference. This is a collection of skills typically only reserved for members of the Toronto Blue Jays. If the Jays have any interest in acquiring Beer, they’d be well served to produce a miserable 2017 season, because at this rate, it seems improbable that he’ll remain available beyond the first handful of selections in the 2018 draft.

Pac-12
Top Batter

Logan Ice, C, Oregon St. (Jr)

Top Draft-Eligible Batter

Top Defensive-Type Batter

Notes
The top two hitters in the Pac-12 by this methodology, Oregon State junior Logan Ice and Cal’s draft-eligible sophomore Brett Cumberland, are both catchers. Which, that raises an obvious question: are they the sort of college catchers who are likely to remain catchers professionally? Because if so, then they’d appear to offer considerable value to a major-league club. And if not so, then… less value, that. Concerning Ice, Kendall Rogers of D1 Baseball recently characterized him as an “elite defensive catcher.” Further haphazard research of the internet reveals similar assessments. With regard to Cumberland, one seems to find a less well-balanced skill set. Of Cumberland, former catcher and Cal assistant coach recently said that “Defensively, it’s progress — not perfection.”

The Top College Players by (Maybe) Predictive Stats

Kendall Rogers, D1Baseball.com (3/24/16)
“I would say I’m a patient guy, and I’m getting good pitches to hit,” he continued. “If you swing at pitcher’s pitches, you’re not going to hit very well. It helps being a catcher in those situations, you look at those things and you’re able to identify pitches. That helps you handle your swing well and show good zone discipline.”

Ice points to plenty of other factors for his sudden offensive development and surge. In addition to the players around him in the lineup and his maturation process, he has a self-diagnosed obsession with learning. Social media posts or YouTube videos about swings and approaches? Ice studies those. He also leans on several former Beavers for advice, including big leaguer Andrew Susac and former Beaver players and current assistant coaches Jake Rodriguez and Andy Jenkins.

“I would say I’m a guy who likes to learn,” he said. “From my freshman to sophomore year, I made some jumps, but they weren’t drastic. But, I’m always trying to improve and I’ll do everything that I can do to that. I take a little bit from each guy I talk to, and I’ve seen some good results.

He reminds me a little of Cole Gillespie, who really took off his last season here,” Casey said. “He’s a pretty good player who has put in the time and work, and he has influenced our club. His maturity, leadership, it’s contagious, and to top it off, he knows how to handle a pitching staff. He’s very accurate with his arm, and he can hit. He just changes the game.”

GSA Spotlight: Oregon State’s Logan Ice

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers