ImageImageImageImageImage

We trade for Rich Hill and Josh Reddick from As

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

We trade for Rich Hill and Josh Reddick from As 

Post#1 » by Neddy » Mon Aug 1, 2016 5:06 pm

MLBTraderumors.com tells me Jharel Cotton is in the package and is not the headliner.

Rich Hill was reported to have "blister" problem and Billy Beane was on record saying "take him as is or not at all". it smelled like an injury propaganda like what Royals were doing with Wade Davis to me, damn... wonder who else is in that package to A's?
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Prospects and trade discussion 

Post#2 » by Neddy » Mon Aug 1, 2016 5:09 pm

and Cotton is our 13th best prospect, and if he is not the centerpiece, Beane must have gotton at least 1 more pitcher and 1 OF at minimum. I think it's Alex Verdugo and Brock Stewart. well, I hope it is only that and not names like De Leon or Bellinger.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#3 » by Neddy » Mon Aug 1, 2016 5:13 pm

now with Rich Hill's blister and Josh Reddick's yet another lefty bat coming in, we still dumping Puig anad gaining Sale? or are we dumping Hill over to the RedSox for them to cough up more prospects to Rick Hahn's heart's content and grabbing Sale?
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#4 » by Neddy » Mon Aug 1, 2016 5:23 pm

WOW it's Grant Holmes AND Frankie Montas to go with Jharel Cotton.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Post#5 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Aug 1, 2016 5:29 pm

Montas
Cotton
Holmes

Hate to see Holmes go but he was progressing a little slow for my taste given his stature as a prospect.

Another lefty bat. We're way too left handed.
Another left handed SP...not as worried about this as long as they get righties.

Let's see what happens with Puig in the upcoming hours.
Annoyed that both are FAs at the end of the year. We lose 3 controllable pitchers for 2 rentals.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#6 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Aug 1, 2016 5:39 pm

“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#7 » by Neddy » Mon Aug 1, 2016 5:50 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Montas
Cotton
Holmes

Hate to see Holmes go but he was progressing a little slow for my taste given his stature as a prospect.

Another left handed SP...not as worried about this as long as they get righties.

Annoyed that both are FAs at the end of the year. We lose 3 controllable pitchers for 2 rentals.

well at least this outta shut the locker room up. FO finally gave up some future for right now, let the vets go out and do something with it then.
ehhhhh f it.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,248

Re: We trade for Rich Hill and Josh Reddick from As 

Post#8 » by Kilroy » Mon Aug 1, 2016 6:03 pm

Interesting move. At this point I'm just glad something happened.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#9 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Aug 1, 2016 6:04 pm

Neddy wrote:
Cotton
Holmes

well at least this outta shut the locker room up. FO finally gave up some future for right now, let the vets go out and do something with it then.

deal is ass fam.

These guys would have headlined a future hard throwing but versatile bullpen.

these guys are just rentals and Redick can't hit lefties.
What would make these guys deal for more lefties in our lineup? We're going to get creamed in the playoffs when facing lefties and it makes going to the pen that much easier vs. us.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#10 » by Neddy » Mon Aug 1, 2016 6:28 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:
Cotton
Holmes

deal is ass fam.

These guys would have headlined a future hard throwing but versatile bullpen.

these guys are just rentals and Redick can't hit lefties.
What would make these guys deal for more lefties in our lineup? We're going to get creamed in the playoffs when facing lefties and it makes going to the pen that much easier vs. us.

true, but it also gives us a starter (although, it says not right away) had a left handed corner OF ( as of right now, our corner OFers are all right handed, Kendrick, Puig, SVS, Thompson... Toles is a left handed hitter but he is really a CF and will most likely be displaced back to the minors after this trade and also when Thompson is back) so at least we have a platoon situation and pinch hitting situation more flexible. also in playoffs we can get away with 11 or less pitchers so more situational pinch hitters will be on the bench while not compromosing defensive schemes.

but yeah I hate that we gave up so much for two rental players, but I'm sure between you me and Ranma, we all had doubts about each of the prospects we gave up. you didn't like Grant Holmes' development, Ranma always stated he thought of Holmes as a trade bait. I liked Grant but did not think Montas was a starter type ever, and Cotton has been raised as a starter, then reliever, then starter again, etc etc which tells me he has something missing for either job description. Cotton is also 24 years old, becoming a fringe prospect a bit, and Montas is also 23. they are around the age, a bit older than De Leon but no where near the projection are in the future for them. bit surprising about Holmes being dealt as he is still just 20, but yeah his development numbers have Zach Lee written all over him.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#11 » by Neddy » Mon Aug 1, 2016 6:31 pm

Kilroy wrote:Interesting move. At this point I'm just glad something happened.

I don't think we are done yet.
ehhhhh f it.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,248

Post#12 » by Kilroy » Mon Aug 1, 2016 6:51 pm

Neddy wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Interesting move. At this point I'm just glad something happened.

I don't think we are done yet.

Yeah, me neither. This seemed like a classic setup move... And we've been rumored in on everything... Seen that happen before with the Lakers and nothing happen, but this feels different.
Feels like there's going to be a torrent of moves soon.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Silver Lining in Questionable Deal 

Post#13 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 1, 2016 6:58 pm

I'm not going to overly miss any of the 3 prospects we gave up for Rich Hill and Josh Reddick, but I hate the idea of trading them for vet rentals with injury concerns. We can't even offer the qualifying offer to either of them to at least recoup draft picks. I know you guys hate the idea, but I would have preferred going after Jay Bruce at the cost of a comparable prospect to what the Mets gave up in Brandon Nimmo. I'm about as uncomfortable with this deal as I was when we overpaid for Jim Johnson and Mat Latos even though we got back Alex Wood and Jose Peraza (to be used to acquire Frankie Montas, Trayce Thompson, and Micah Johnson).

I viewed all 3 of Grant Holmes, Frankie Montas, and Jharel Cotton as relief prospects each with an outside possibility of starting. Both Holmes and Montas have live arms but each have stalled in their respective progress with Montas dealing with injury concerns. I've said before that Jordan Sheffield steps in Holmes' former role as heir apparent to Kenley Jansen while Yadier Alvarez's stuff and potential supersedes that of Montas at this point. Josh Sborz seems like a good facsimile of Cotton but with more promising outings as a starter.

Given that all 3 of the prospects dealt had diminishing value the longer we held onto them, I don't mind seeing them dealt, but they still held enough value for us to package for something bigger. I would have included them along with Jose De Leon for Chris Archer, but Tampa Bay was probably not inclined to make such a deal. Likewise, with the A's and Sonny Gray.

Frankly, I'm not happy with making the deal just to pacify a bunch of whining players in the clubhouse. Our postseason chances live and die on the health of Clayton Kershaw, anyway. However, I'm just grateful we didn't give up any vital prospects from the developmental pipeline.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Silver Lining in Questionable Deal 

Post#14 » by Neddy » Mon Aug 1, 2016 7:15 pm

Ranma wrote:I'm not going to overly miss any of the 3 prospects we gave up for Rich Hill and Josh Reddick, but I hate the idea of trading them for vet rentals with injury concerns. We can't even offer the qualifying offer to either of them to at least recoup draft picks. I know you guys hate the idea, but I would have preferred going after Jay Bruce at the cost of a comparable prospect to what the Mets gave up in Brandon Nimmo. I'm about as uncomfortable with this deal as I was when we overpaid for Jim Johnson and Mat Latos even though we got back Alex Wood and Jose Peraza (to be used to acquire Frankie Montas, Trayce Thompson, and Micah Johnson).

I viewed all 3 of Grant Holmes, Frankie Montas, and Jharel Cotton as relief prospects each with an outside possibility of starting. Both Holmes and Montas have live arms but each have stalled in their respective progress with Montas dealing with injury concerns. I've said before that Jordan Sheffield steps in Holmes' former role as heir apparent to Kenley Jansen while Yadier Alvarez's stuff and potential supersedes that of Montas at this point. Josh Sborz seems like a good facsimile of Cotton but with more promising outings as a starter.

Given that all 3 of the prospects dealt had diminishing value the longer we held onto them, I don't mind seeing them dealt, but they still held enough value for us to package for something bigger. I would have included them along with Jose De Leon for Chris Archer, but Tampa Bay was probably not inclined to make such a deal. Likewise, with the A's and Sonny Gray.

Frankly, I'm not happy with making the deal just to pacify a bunch of whining players in the clubhouse. Our postseason chances live and die on the health of Clayton Kershaw, anyway. However, I'm just grateful we didn't give up any vital prospects from the developmental pipeline.

I dunno if I would have given up De Leon for Sonny Gray. for whatever the reason his HR/FB rate more than doubled, and his hits/9 and BABIP all jumped up. we can blame BABIP on luck factor, but some guys when they start dabbling with a cutter, they seem to lose the break on their slider, and velocity on their fastball drops a bit. I am not saying THIS is the problem, but it could be. Sonny comes from a great degigree of Vanderbuilt program, but he is listed at 5-10. a bit of a Lincecum territory, although there is always Pedro too, in that size. If we are giving up a stud like De Leon for a guy who is getting hit hard on HR/FB ratio with inflated BABAIP, I think I would rather go with Chris Archer who is with bigger, taller frame who should last longer.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Re: Silver Lining in Questionable Deal 

Post#15 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 1, 2016 7:23 pm

Neddy wrote:I dunno if I would have given up De Leon for Sonny Gray. for whatever the reason his HR/FB rate more than doubled, and his hits/9 and BABIP all jumped up. we can blame BABIP on luck factor, but some guys when they start dabbling with a cutter, they seem to lose the break on their slider, and velocity on their fastball drops a bit. I am not saying THIS is the problem, but it could be. Sonny comes from a great degigree of Vanderbuilt program, but he is listed at 5-10. a bit of a Lincecum territory, although there is always Pedro too, in that size. If we are giving up a stud like De Leon for a guy who is getting hit hard on HR/FB ratio with inflated BABAIP, I think I would rather go with Chris Archer who is with bigger, taller frame who should last longer.

I mis-typed what I wanted to say. I agree that I would not include De Leon for Gray right now. What I meant to express was that I would have included Holmes, Montas, and Cotton (+ presumably something else) for Gray but Oakland is not inclined to sell low on him.

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Reddick, Ultimate Warrior Fan 

Post#16 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 1, 2016 7:49 pm

Read on Twitter

Ranma
RealGM

Doolittle on Hill (Part 1) 

Post#17 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 1, 2016 7:51 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Doolittle on Hill (Part 2) 

Post#18 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 1, 2016 7:51 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Availability Key for Hill 

Post#19 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 1, 2016 7:55 pm

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#20 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Aug 1, 2016 8:10 pm

deadline has come and gone I believe and Puig is still a Dodger.

Somebody is going to be the odd man out and it looks like it's going to be Puig.
Honestly , it's time to hope Ethier crawls into a cave and doesn't want to come back.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers