The 2017 Dodgers WORLD SERIES!!! Thread

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

The 2017 Dodgers WORLD SERIES!!! Thread 

Post#1 » by Neddy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:23 pm

well? might as well start this now.

who is your 25 men roster for the divisional series?
here is mine.
Kershaw, Yu, Hill, Wood,
Jansen, Morrow, Watson, Maeda, Ryu, Avilan, Fields, Baez,
Grandal, Barnes,
Bellinger, Forsythe, Seager, Turner, Utley, Gonzo,
Taylor, Puig, ****, Ethier, Granderson.

good chance Friedman replaces Baez and Avilan with Tony #2 and Walker.

I would prefer to remove Gonzo as we already have a lefty pinch hitter in Either who can actually still hit, and bring up Kyle Farmer so we can use the bats of both Barnes and Grandal in a single game freely and as needed.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

My Postseason Roster for the 2017 NLDS (UPDATED) 

Post#2 » by Ranma » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:01 am

Luis Avilan deserves a spot for the playoffs but if we're likely going up against the right-handed heavy Diamondbacks lineup, he'll have to sit this series out. I don't really believe Farmer will make the team, but his presence allows us to play Grandal and Barnes at the same time by taking Forsythe out of the lineup.

Also, the only reason I'm not batting Seager 2nd in the lineup is because of his struggles at the plate presumably due to his elbow. If and when he returns to his peak batting form, he'd take Barnes' spot in the order and Puig would move up to 5th.

Starting Pitchers
    LHP - Clayton Kershaw
    RHP - Yu Darvish
    LHP - Rich Hill
    LHP - Alex Wood
Batting Order Lineup
    CF - Chris Taylor
    C - Austin Barnes
    1B - Cody Bellinger
    3B - Justin Turner
    SS - Corey Seager
    RF - Yasiel Puig
    LF - Curtis Granderson
    2B - Logan Forsythe
Bench
    C- Yasmani Grandal
    UT - **** Hernandez
    2B - Chase Utley
    CF - Joc Pederson
    LF - Andre Ethier
    C- Kyle Farmer
Bullpen
    RHP - Kenley Jansen
    RHP - Brandon Morrow
    LHP - Tony Watson
    LHP - Tony Cingrani
    RHP - Kenta Maeda
    RHP - Josh Fields
    RHP - Brandon McCarthy
    RHP - Walker Buehler

Edit: Went with 12 pitchers instead of 11 so I had to remove a position player by having McCarthy replace Farmer.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Neddy
RealGM

Re: My Postseason Roster for the 2017 NLDS 

Post#3 » by Neddy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:01 am

Ranma wrote:Luis Avilan deserves a spot for the playoffs but if we're likely going up against the right-handed heavy Diamondbacks lineup, he'll have to sit this series out.

i wouldn't be so sure. yes the D backs are the best of the foursome fighting for the wild cards ( really is CR/Mil/StL being locked in the second WC fight) but the wild card game is a single game elimination, a series of 1. I would think that the D Backs will have to use their best pitcher for that game, and since Zack pitched yesterday, he is slotted to start that WC game. the Rockies has hit well against Grienke through out his career. Cargo have killed him over the years, yes he is really having an off year as we all know but in a single game, you never know. the rest of the Rockies main guys have all hit well except Mark Reynolds. but yeah if the DBacks do make it to the NLDS, sitting Avilan out is not necessarily going to be a questionable move.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: The 2017 POSTSEASON thread. 

Post#4 » by Neddy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:03 am

and I think Brandon McCarthy just became a dark horse for the playoff roster.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#5 » by Neddy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:55 am

Neddy wrote:well? might as well start this now.

who is your 25 men roster for the divisional series?
here is mine.
Kershaw, Yu, Hill, Wood,
Jansen, Morrow, Watson, Maeda, Ryu, Avilan, Fields, Baez,
Grandal, Barnes,
Bellinger, Forsythe, Seager, Turner, Utley, Gonzo,
Taylor, Puig, ****, Ethier, Granderson.

good chance Friedman replaces Baez and Avilan with Tony #2 and Walker.

I would prefer to remove Gonzo as we already have a lefty pinch hitter in Either who can actually still hit, and bring up Kyle Farmer so we can use the bats of both Barnes and Grandal in a single game freely and as needed.

Avilan and Baez out.

Tony Cingrani and Brandon McCarthy in.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Roster Revision 

Post#6 » by Ranma » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:55 am

I went with Neddy's suggestion in the regular season thread and swapped out a position player for a pitcher for 12 pitchers and 13 position players. McCarthy's return game has me encouraged enough to pick him over Avilan to be Farmer's replacement on my updated postseason roster.

Ryu might have a case to replace Maeda if Hyun-Jin is healthy. Avilan is on the outside looking in for now, but I waver back and forth on him.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Neddy
RealGM

Post#7 » by Neddy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:30 am

well? I had gone with what I thought was more likely, but this time, I want to post what I think is the best team to win the NLDS.

4 starters
Kershaw - Yu - Hill - Wood

8 relievers
Jansen - Morrow - Watson - Cingrani - Fields - Maeda - Ryu - McCarty

3 catchers
Grandal - Barnes - Farmer

5 infielders
Bellinger - Utley - Seager - Turner - Forsythe

5 outfielders
Taylor - Puig - Granderson (hurts me to type it) - Ethier - ****

this will give us
against RHP
1 R, CF Taylor
2 L, SS Seager ( yeah I am not hitting him lower. injury is one thing but if you want him to hit well, he needs to feel at home)
3 R, 3B Turner
4 L, 1B Bellinger
5 R, RF Puig
6 L, LF Granderson
7 S, C Grandal
8 L, 2B Utley

this gives us the bench of

Barnes(R), Farmer(R), Forsythe(R), ****(R) with Ethier as the primary left handed pinch hitter.

against LHP
1 R, CF Taylor
2 L, SS Seager
3 R, 3B Turner
4 L, 1B Bellinger
5 R, RF Puig
6 R, C Barnes
7 R, LF, ****
8 R, 2B Forsythe

the bench is now

Grandal(S), Farmer(R), Utley(L), Granderson(L) with Ethier still as our lefty pinch hitter.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Post#8 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:43 pm

Ranma, you trust McCarthy's yips over Ryu?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

McCarthy's Yips 

Post#9 » by Ranma » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:10 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Ranma, you trust McCarthy's yips over Ryu?

To be honest, no. Ryu is the more trustworthy option, but I leaned on McCarthy anticipating we'll need right-handers against the right-hand-heavy D-backs. On merit alone, Ryu deserves a spot on the postseason roster if he is fully healthy.

I may have to re-think my choices after the NL Wild Card game, but I want to see more of McCarthy for the rest of the season before I make a final determination.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: McCarthy's Yips 

Post#10 » by Neddy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:55 am

Ranma wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Ranma, you trust McCarthy's yips over Ryu?

To be honest, no. Ryu is the more trustworthy option, but I leaned on McCarthy anticipating we'll need right-handers against the right-hand-heavy D-backs. On merit alone, Ryu deserves a spot on the postseason roster if he is fully healthy.

I may have to re-think my choices after the NL Wild Card game, but I want to see more of McCarthy for the rest of the season before I make a final determination.

like I said before, there is no guarantee that D backs come out on top in WC. it could very well be the Rockies, or even the Brewers.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers Digest 2nd and Maybe Final Attempt at Roster Prediction 

Post#11 » by Ranma » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:52 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Supporting Cast on Pitching Staff 

Post#12 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:59 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Case for Ryu Over Wood 

Post#13 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:00 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

A-Gon from Postseason Roster 

Post#14 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

FiveThirtyEight's Current Postseason Odds 

Post#15 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:12 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Keri's Outlook on the Dodgers 

Post#16 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:14 pm

Jonah Keri, CBSsports.com (9/29/17)
Read on Twitter

Three simple reasons, Doug.

First, the Dodgers feature the best quartet of starting pitchers among all playoff teams, with Clayton Kershaw backed by Yu Darvish and highly underrated lefties Rich Hill and Alex Wood.

Second, the Dodgers have addressed their bullpen woes in a more effective manner than we've seen in recent years. Kenley Jansen remains a super-elite closer capable of dominating in both the regular season and postseason. But Brandon Morrow, Tony Cingrani and Luis Avilan lead a revamped batch of setup and middle men who miss tons of bats and perplex opposing hitters with their many different looks.

Third, the Dodgers trotted out the most potent attack in the National League this year, with slugging rookie Cody Bellinger complementing Corey Seager and Justin Turner in a deep offense that's even dangerous off the bench.

And finally, momentum means nothing. Specifically, how a ballclub fares in September has no correlation with how it will fare in October (once you adjust for other variables, such as the overall quality of said teams).

The Dodgers were an excellent bet to challenge for their first World Series in 29 years before they recently came unglued for a few weeks. They remain excellent bets to do so even after that rough patch.

Keri the 10: Don't Sleep on Astros, It's Miller Time for Price and More MLB Notes
Ranma
RealGM

Kershaw Officially Named Game 1 Starter 

Post#17 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:45 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Let the Games Begin 

Post#18 » by Ranma » Mon Oct 2, 2017 3:13 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Post#19 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Oct 2, 2017 4:07 am

My body is ready.

Sadly, I don’t think Walker Buehler has done enough to make this roster. I don’t think he was given every opportunity possible ala Pedro Baez but I still can’t say he’s done enough.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Buehler's Days Off 

Post#20 » by Ranma » Mon Oct 2, 2017 4:35 am

I agree. Walker Buehler's performance during the last week of games didn't do him any favors. Pedro Baez certainly benefits from favoritism, but there are signs and comments from coaches that he has improved. I'm not sold on that.

Roberts seems inclined to go with vets for the postseason bullpen but I don't want to see Stripling or Stewart getting serious consideration. It also sounds like Rich Hill will get the nod for Game 2, which I'm more than fine with, but if we get the Rockies in the opening series, then Darvish would have to pitch in Colorado when we tried to shield him from that environment.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers