ImageImageImage

Cavs trade for Mitchell.

Moderator: ijspeelman

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,448

Re: Cavs trade for Mitchell. 

Post#21 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Sep 3, 2022 4:23 am

tundraknight wrote:Besides trading so much unprotected draft capital until 2029, the other main concern that brought up after this trade is that Mobley is no longer eligible for the rookie max extension. Supposedly he could sign 4 years instead of 5, or wait until the following year to become a UFA.
Yes he is, that was already debunked. Cavs can have as many rookie max extensions on their roster as they want, they just cant trade for anymore.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,973

Post#22 » by tundraknight » Sat Sep 3, 2022 5:44 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
tundraknight wrote:Besides trading so much unprotected draft capital until 2029, the other main concern that brought up after this trade is that Mobley is no longer eligible for the rookie max extension. Supposedly he could sign 4 years instead of 5, or wait until the following year to become a UFA.
Yes he is, that was already debunked. Cavs can have as many rookie max extensions on their roster as they want, they just cant trade for anymore.

https://cavaliersnation.com/2022/09/02/windhorst-unravels-potential-contract-issue-cavs-created-with-mobley-due-to-mitchell-trade/amp/

^ windhorst was the one who brought it up.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#23 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Sep 3, 2022 6:31 am

tundraknight wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

https://cavaliersnation.com/2022/09/02/windhorst-unravels-potential-contract-issue-cavs-created-with-mobley-due-to-mitchell-trade/amp/

^ windhorst was had one who brought it up.
Your own article provides many solutions, it's a non factor.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,481

Post#24 » by JonFromVA » Sat Sep 3, 2022 2:28 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:The Cavs do not have a first round pick to trade outside of a 2024 swap (which will be a pick in the 20s).

'23 to the Pacers then '25, '26, '27, '28, and '29 to the Jazz.

We can eventually trade the 2024 pick, but yeah, we don't have the assets left to get OG right now unless we trade a core player.

We do have an open roster spot, though, so if someone free's up we can consider if they're a better option than the players we've already got.

Yeah, on the day of the draft almost 2 years from now. It'll be the last 1st rounder the Cavs can trade for nearly a decade, assets are completely depleted.

We'll have picks in the swap years, also second rounders, and the biggest asset of all ... Mitchell himself in addition to the 2024 pick.

The designated max situation is a minor problem, but Evan will be restricted and have his choice of security or max $ all assuming Mitchell is still on the team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#25 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Sep 3, 2022 3:57 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
We can eventually trade the 2024 pick, but yeah, we don't have the assets left to get OG right now unless we trade a core player.

We do have an open roster spot, though, so if someone free's up we can consider if they're a better option than the players we've already got.

Yeah, on the day of the draft almost 2 years from now. It'll be the last 1st rounder the Cavs can trade for nearly a decade, assets are completely depleted.

We'll have picks in the swap years, also second rounders, and the biggest asset of all ... Mitchell himself in addition to the 2024 pick.

The designated max situation is a minor problem, but Evan will be restricted and have his choice of security or max $ all assuming Mitchell is still on the team.

Yeah but they can't be traded because they're protection for the 2025, 2027, and 2029 picks just given up.

2024 can be traded to someone as a swap, that's it. Until draft day, none of the 2024, 2026, or 2028 picks can be traded.

NBA teams can only trade 7 years out and 6 of the 7 Cavs assets are spoken for.

Cavs have roughly $20 million next season in cap, prior to holds, they need to get a solid fit at 3 to go with the core 4 and try to hit in that 2 year window before guys can start leaving.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#26 » by JonFromVA » Sat Sep 3, 2022 7:08 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Yeah, on the day of the draft almost 2 years from now. It'll be the last 1st rounder the Cavs can trade for nearly a decade, assets are completely depleted.

Yeah but they can't be traded because they're protection for the 2025, 2027, and 2029 picks just given up.

2024 can be traded to someone as a swap, that's it. Until draft day, none of the 2024, 2026, or 2028 picks can be traded.

Cavs have roughly $20 million next season in cap, prior to holds, they need to get a solid fit at 3 to go with the core 4 and try to hit in that 2 year window before guys can start leaving.

Sure, if you want to spend picks to address the SF position right now, we're limited to second rounders ... but in terms of future assets we will be able to eventually trade those picks as well as picks beyond 2029 (if we dare).

I'm just going to continue to point out stuff like how Otto Porter was starting for the Warrior's in the final 3 games .vs. the Celtics in the Finals this year on a $2M contract. Holes can be filled.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#27 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Sep 3, 2022 8:49 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Sure, if you want to spend picks to address the SF position right now, we're limited to second rounders ... but in terms of future assets we will be able to eventually trade those picks as well as picks beyond 2029 (if we dare).

I'm just going to continue to point out stuff like how Otto Porter was starting for the Warrior's in the final 3 games .vs. the Celtics in the Finals this year on a $2M contract. Holes can be filled.
I'm all for Ariza or Iggy to start 3 for vet min.

Edit: I will say players signing with the Warriors vs the Cavs is night and day on expectations lol
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#28 » by JonFromVA » Sun Sep 4, 2022 12:31 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Yeah but they can't be traded because they're protection for the 2025, 2027, and 2029 picks just given up.

Edit: I will say players signing with the Warriors vs the Cavs is night and day on expectations lol

The key to attracting ring chasers is having a role and a serious shot, so we might close that gap
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#29 » by gflem » Sun Sep 4, 2022 12:19 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Yeah but they can't be traded because they're protection for the 2025, 2027, and 2029 picks just given up.

I think Iggy is cooked. But there will be other options that become available.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#30 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Sep 4, 2022 1:05 pm

gflem wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Without a doubt, there are Snell, Nader, TLC, Frazier etc types out there.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#31 » by JonFromVA » Sun Sep 4, 2022 9:30 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
gflem wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I'm all for Ariza or Iggy to start 3 for vet min.

Without a doubt, there are Snell, Nader, TLC, Frazier etc types out there.

I want our version of Battier, just have to be patient and kick tires on what we've got until that kind of vet gets sucked in to our SF black hole.

If our core is a little older, that's fine, we should be ready for a finals run.
Hoppy1
Rookie
And1: 294

Post#32 » by Hoppy1 » Tue Sep 6, 2022 4:18 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

He's not turning down a max offer coming off his rookie contract. The concern would be he'd ask for a P.O. in the last year and you'd lose him a year early.

The last player to turn down a max contract off their rookie scale was?
When you look for the bad in something, expecting to find it, you certainly will.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,688

Post#33 » by jbk1234 » Tue Sep 6, 2022 4:28 pm

Hoppy1 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

He's not turning down a max offer coming off his rookie contract. The concern would be he'd ask for a P.O. in the last year and you'd lose him a year early.

It's never happened, and will never happen. The risk is too great and the ability to force your way out while under contract is too prominent.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#34 » by JonFromVA » Tue Sep 6, 2022 6:31 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Hoppy1 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

It's never happened, and will never happen. The risk is too great and the ability to force your way out while under contract is too prominent.

The Cavs are clearly trying to set this team up so everyone wants to stay, the players themselves still need to get it done on the floor, and the Cavs need to properly fill out the roster.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#35 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Sep 6, 2022 8:06 pm

Hoppy1 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Closest I can think of is Greg Monroe.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#36 » by JonFromVA » Tue Sep 6, 2022 8:37 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Hoppy1 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

James Bosh, and Wade came to mind, they took max money, but only 3 years.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,688

Post#37 » by jbk1234 » Tue Sep 6, 2022 8:42 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Hoppy1 wrote:The last player to turn down a max contract off their rookie scale was?

None of them were coming off their rookie deals.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#38 » by JonFromVA » Tue Sep 6, 2022 8:49 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Closest I can think of is Greg Monroe.

None of them were coming off their rookie deals.

Drafted in 2003, off to Miami in 2010.

Interesting that not one of the 3 teams put their foot down and said, if you want a max, you're taking 5 years as if they really believed they just wanted to maximize their income
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#39 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Sep 6, 2022 10:57 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Hoppy1 wrote:The last player to turn down a max contract off their rookie scale was?

They still extended though, Greg Monroe put in his 5 years and dipped. Don't get me wrong, it ruined his career but still lol
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#40 » by JonFromVA » Wed Sep 7, 2022 2:52 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Closest I can think of is Greg Monroe.

They still extended though, Greg Monroe put in his 5 years and dipped. Don't get me wrong, it ruined his career but still lol

Sure, they were willing to accept some risk, but weren't interested in losing millions just to flee 2 years earlier.

If Mobley doesn't want to re-up with us we likely have bigger troubles.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers