ImageImageImage

Game 6: Cavs @ Pacers 11/3/2023

Moderator: ijspeelman

jasonxxx102
Veteran
And1: 2,733

Re: Game 6: Cavs @ Pacers 11/3/2023 

Post#21 » by jasonxxx102 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 1:29 am

Iwasawitness wrote:Whether Cleveland wins or loses, this game perfectly demonstrates how bad JB is at running an offense. He's got quite a few talented offensive players out there but for the most part it's just been ISO plays for Mitchell. Very bad coaching and what could ultimately cost Cleveland this game.

So hold on. You can criticize JB but nobody else can? :lol:
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,510

Post#22 » by afarmenian » Sat Nov 4, 2023 1:32 am

jasonxxx102 wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:Whether Cleveland wins or loses, this game perfectly demonstrates how bad JB is at running an offense. He's got quite a few talented offensive players out there but for the most part it's just been ISO plays for Mitchell. Very bad coaching and what could ultimately cost Cleveland this game.

He really is a clown
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,446

Post#23 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Nov 4, 2023 1:35 am

Lol JB had his signature 8 man rotation in full effect.

Please fire this guy and his dad.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,336

Post#24 » by Iwasawitness » Sat Nov 4, 2023 1:37 am

jasonxxx102 wrote:

The fact that I even need to explain this is pretty sad, but it's clear you and the troll aren't getting it.

I never said JB wasn't a bad coach. In fact I've outright stated it multiple times now, but apparently you guys aren't getting that. I've never had a problem with either you or the troll calling him out on it. In fact that was never the problem. My problem is when you deem the entire season a lost cause because a guy with very limited assets isn't able to beat fully healthy teams. It's made even worse by the fact that more than half of your complaints didn't even make sense.

Like... you literally complained that he played two guys 40+ minutes... when we were missing four rotation players.

You want to say Bickerstaff is a bad coach, I'm going to agree with you. You want to say he's a key reason to us losing in the playoffs last season, I'm going to agree with you. But the Cavaliers first five games were going to be a struggle, there was no question about that. That tends to happen when you are missing multiple rotation pieces, two of which are your starting players (hell, in one of those games he was missing three). At that point you're just missing the bigger picture and are complaining for the sake of complaining.

It's the same thing with tonight... Cleveland's offense looked putrid in first half and Evan Mobley did a terrible job in the last few minutes of this game and arguably cost us it. Bickerstaff didn't do us any favors either with how he designed the offense. But that doesn't mean our season is a lost cause because of it... it's one game, and the first one with our starting five back. Games like this are going to happen. It is what it is.

And that FYI troll (not you, the lost cause) this is what you call substance and actual legitimate criticism. I'm not going to sit here and pout and claim that the season is over when it clearly isn't. There's a lot of basketball left to go and odds are there's going to be more heart breaks along the way. That's part of the experience.

afarmenian wrote:He really is a clown

It really is funny that you claim I bring nothing of substance and use personal attacks... when literally all you've done in this thread is use personal attacks and bring nothing of substance. You either have to be truly dense or a troll.

I'm choosing to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're doing the latter. But at this point you're giving me every reason to think it's the former.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,682

Post#25 » by jbk1234 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 1:41 am

Not terribly worried about this one. Allen didn't have his legs under him. The officials basically declared interior defense illegal in the first half. JBB needs to burn a challenge early in one of these games where Allen or Mobley are in legal guarding position, the offensive player runs into them, and are rewarded with a trip to the line. A team like the Pacers is basically unguardable when the game is being officiated like that and it's really hard to come back from down 17. If Mitchell doesn't see as many free throws, that's preferable to negating our interior defense with both Allen and Mitchell in.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Iwasawitness
Veteran

Post#26 » by Iwasawitness » Sat Nov 4, 2023 1:44 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:Lol JB had his signature 8 man rotation in full effect.

Cleveland is going to give Bickerstaff more time to see how he does with the full team, but at some point the line has to be drawn. You can't have a team with Garland, Mobley and Allen on it while having shooters acquired in the offseason and continue running an offense based on Mitchell isoing. It's especially concerning given that Garland actually had a lot of instances where he was able to rip into the Pacers defense just fine and find players, but for some reason JB chose to stick with more ISO offense.

JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#27 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:05 am

Iwasawitness wrote:

Cleveland is going to give Bickerstaff more time to see how he does with the full team, but at some point the line has to be drawn. You can't have a team with Garland, Mobley and Allen on it while having shooters acquired in the offseason and continue running an offense based on Mitchell isoing. It's especially concerning given that Garland actually had a lot of instances where he was able to rip into the Pacers defense just fine and find players, but for some reason JB chose to stick with more ISO offense.
Short rotations and playground offense are his MO.

At some point i would gauge Joerger's interest in returning as a full time head coach and if the interest level was there, then ask his price tag.

Cavs really don't wanna get too far into this season with JB, he clearly is incapable of change. As i feared, he would fall back into what was comfortable, because he always does.
Iwasawitness
Veteran

Post#28 » by Iwasawitness » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:14 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:

At some point i would gauge Joerger's interest in returning as a full time head coach and if the interest level was there, then ask his price tag.

Cavs really don't wanna get too far into this season with JB, he clearly is incapable of change. As i feared, he would fall back into what was comfortable, because he always does.

Well what originally gave me hope is that he wasn't doing what was comfortable at first, but then again that's because he didn't have much of a choice.

In a strange twist of fate... you kind of want to see this keep happening. The hope is that Bickerstaff will either realize what he's doing isn't working and force himself to try something different, or he gets fired for it. Regardless, onto the next one I guess.

ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 888

Post#29 » by ijspeelman » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:23 am

Guys… please stop with the personal attacks

Would recommend not replying to those you are have problems avoiding this with

DM me if you have any questions or concerns
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#30 » by ijspeelman » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:25 am

I lose all capacity for rational thought once I’m at a live game so I don’t have a lot of takes.

Allen and Garland looked rusty. I loved the second half of defense. Felt like Pacers couldn’t miss. Mitchell really carried an otherwise lackluster offense.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#31 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:56 am

Iwasawitness wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:

Well what originally gave me hope is that he wasn't doing what was comfortable at first, but then again that's because he didn't have much of a choice.

In a strange twist of fate... you kind of want to see this keep happening. The hope is that Bickerstaff will either realize what he's doing isn't working and force himself to try something different, or he gets fired for it. Regardless, onto the next one I guess.
Maybe, maybe not. Only if it ends in him getting fired.

Cavs do have a pretty tough stretch of games the next 6 weeks.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#32 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:47 am

I love to see under the Cavs post regardless of social media platform all the fans saying fire JB lol

Time to listen to the fan base.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#33 » by ijspeelman » Sat Nov 4, 2023 5:52 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:I love to see under the Cavs post regardless of social media platform all the fans saying fire JB lol

It does feel like he’s legitimately under pressure to perform by the FA so we will see. I still doubt it unless it gets worse
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#34 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:56 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I love to see under the Cavs post regardless of social media platform all the fans saying fire JB lol

It does feel like he’s legitimately under pressure to perform by the FA so we will see. I still doubt it unless it gets worse
Hopefully sooner than later.

Almost every other team is playing 9 or 10 guys double figure minutes in November, because it's what you're supposed to do lol

There are even some teams that have a 9 man rotation (9 guys playing 10+ minutes) and then 3 other guys getting spot minutes. Playing 12 guys per night, in game 6 of the regular season should be the goal. The Cavs are losing games anyways, so why run our guys into the ground so early in the season, for the 3rd year in a row?
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#35 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:57 pm

Also, obviously the game was blacked out on LP but on IG tons of people were roasting JB for taking a timeout to kill our own momentum. Guy is terrible at situational basketball.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#36 » by ijspeelman » Sat Nov 4, 2023 3:50 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:Also, obviously the game was blacked out on LP but on IG tons of people were roasting JB for taking a timeout to kill our own momentum. Guy is terrible at situational basketball.

Guy next to me at the game said smart timeout, as in “best to slow it down and plan out the final few minutes.” He sold me on that as we had 4 timeouts remaining.

Though, after the timeout we probably made one or two shots (and one was Mobley’s putback). I do think we got some nice looks, but odd turnovers and missed cost us.

I think the bigger timeout issue was not calling it around the 30-50 second mark where Mitchell drove it up and we ended up not scoring.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#37 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:56 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Also, obviously the game was blacked out on LP but on IG tons of people were roasting JB for taking a timeout to kill our own momentum. Guy is terrible at situational basketball.

Guy next to me at the game said smart timeout, as in “best to slow it down and plan out the final few minutes.” He sold me on that as we had 4 timeouts remaining.

Though, after the timeout we probably made one or two shots (and one was Mobley’s putback). I do think we got some nice looks, but odd turnovers and missed cost us.

I think the bigger timeout issue was not calling it around the 30-50 second mark where Mitchell drove it up and we ended up not scoring.
Yeah they referenced both.

I just don't think it's ever wise to kill your own momentum.

But yeah, i heard he botched the end of the game by forcing the ball to LeVert instead of Mitchell.

I think the fans are ready for a new voice, just please not Luke Walton.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#38 » by ijspeelman » Sat Nov 4, 2023 5:24 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

But yeah, i heard he botched the end of the game by forcing the ball to LeVert instead of Mitchell.

I understood the LeVert play, but it still felt like we could have gotten a different look. He was wide open, but it was a sideways movement three from a guy that was fairly cold from distance that game.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#39 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Nov 4, 2023 5:53 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

I understood the LeVert play, but it still felt like we could have gotten a different look. He was wide open, but it was a sideways movement three from a guy that was fairly cold from distance that game.
Yeah that was the critique, going to a guy who was cold/missing shots.

Idk, the next 4 games are though and including those, 10 of the next 12 are tough. So we'll see how it plays out. If he doesn't get canned by then, you're already into December; if a coaching change is gonna come, the sooner the better.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,758

Post#40 » by toooskies » Sun Nov 5, 2023 2:57 am

LeVert has been our best 3-point shooter on the year. That shot was fine.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers