JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,448

Re: Cavs trade for Mitchell. 

Post#41 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Sep 7, 2022 3:24 am

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
James Bosh, and Wade came to mind, they took max money, but only 3 years.
They still extended though, Greg Monroe put in his 5 years and dipped. Don't get me wrong, it ruined his career but still lol

Sure, they were willing to accept some risk, but weren't interested in losing millions just to flee 2 years earlier.

If Mobley doesn't want to re-up with us we likely have bigger troubles.
He probably will re-up, it's just Allen and Mitchell could be gone by then.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,761

Post#42 » by toooskies » Wed Sep 7, 2022 2:04 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Hoppy1 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
He's not turning down a max offer coming off his rookie contract. The concern would be he'd ask for a P.O. in the last year and you'd lose him a year early.

The last player to turn down a max contract off their rookie scale was?

It's never happened, and will never happen. The risk is too great and the ability to force your way out while under contract is too prominent.

If the rumor that Mitchell got traded to Cleveland as a "punishment" for him wanting to leave is true, there's the consideration that forcing your way out doesn't get you to the situation you want. Happened to Kawhi too, though he made the best of that situation. And Durant failing to force his way out. Harden needing the Brooklyn stop-over before landing where he really wanted to be in Philly. There's plenty of reasons to not believe a team even if they say that they'll trade you where you want to go if you really want out.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,481

Post#43 » by JonFromVA » Wed Sep 7, 2022 8:19 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Hoppy1 wrote:The last player to turn down a max contract off their rookie scale was?

It's never happened, and will never happen. The risk is too great and the ability to force your way out while under contract is too prominent.

If the rumor that Mitchell got traded to Cleveland as a "punishment" for him wanting to leave is true, there's the consideration that forcing your way out doesn't get you to the situation you want. Happened to Kawhi too, though he made the best of that situation. And Durant failing to force his way out. Harden needing the Brooklyn stop-over before landing where he really wanted to be in Philly. There's plenty of reasons to not believe a team even if they say that they'll trade you where you want to go if you really want out.

This isn't the Cavs first rodeo trading for a player who may or may not actually want to be a Cavalier, and Mitchell's reaction to the trade is not something I remember seeing from Kawhi and his new teammates.

I think Mitchell is liking his "punishment".

Furthermore, the Jazz wasted a lot of time negotiating with the Knicks. As fun as it may seem to "torture" their executives by teasing a trade and stepping away, it's really the Knicks who kept stepping away by signing players and lowering their offer to the point Ainge was open to working something out with Altman.

I'll also point out that Mitchell inspite of asking for a trade and naming teams, kept it quiet so Ainge could pretend he wasn't desperate to move him. That the Knicks no doubt knew all about this thanks to collusion is pretty apparent by how they acted; but I doubt Ainge refuses them if they'd met in the middle rather than trying to pressure Ainge in to taking less.

I feel the Cavs are in a good spot with Mitchell, but we're entering the honeymoon phase. If thinks do go South, it will probably be us trying to send Mitchell off to the Knicks; but I think even that analysis shortchanges some of the things Mitchell was unhappy about in Utah. I mean Gobert, his Covid antics and his immobility were a big part of it, but you look back to Jalen Brunson beating them - yes that falls big time on Donovan's perimeter D - but also on the Jazz's inability to go with a better option on Brunson so Mitchell could focus on offense.

That's one reason why Okoro may be our starting SF or at least an important weapon to help stick on an opposing PG/SG who starts wrecking Garland or Mitchell.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,761

Post#44 » by toooskies » Wed Sep 7, 2022 9:13 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

This isn't the Cavs first rodeo trading for a player who may or may not actually want to be a Cavalier, and Mitchell's reaction to the trade is not something I remember seeing from Kawhi and his new teammates.

I think Mitchell is liking his "punishment".

Furthermore, the Jazz wasted a lot of time negotiating with the Knicks. As fun as it may seem to "torture" their executives by teasing a trade and stepping away, it's really the Knicks who kept stepping away by signing players and lowering their offer to the point Ainge was open to working something out with Altman.

I'll also point out that Mitchell inspite of asking for a trade and naming teams, kept it quiet so Ainge could pretend he wasn't desperate to move him. That the Knicks no doubt knew all about this thanks to collusion is pretty apparent by how they acted; but I doubt Ainge refuses them if they'd met in the middle rather than trying to pressure Ainge in to taking less.

I feel the Cavs are in a good spot with Mitchell, but we're entering the honeymoon phase. If thinks do go South, it will probably be us trying to send Mitchell off to the Knicks; but I think even that analysis shortchanges some of the things Mitchell was unhappy about in Utah. I mean Gobert, his Covid antics and his immobility were a big part of it, but you look back to Jalen Brunson beating them - yes that falls big time on Donovan's perimeter D - but also on the Jazz's inability to go with a better option on Brunson so Mitchell could focus on offense.

That's one reason why Okoro may be our starting SF or at least an important weapon to help stick on an opposing PG/SG who starts wrecking Garland or Mitchell.

It's a question of whether Mitchell wasn't playing defense because he thought they didn't have a chance and wanted to start his offseason, or if he was pouting his way out of a good situation, or if he doesn't have the energy/effort to play both sides of the ball, or if he just doesn't play defense anymore. Having Conley out there didn't help, although not every team has a PJ Tucker that he can guard over in the corner.

There's always a chance Mitchell just has a grass-is-always-greener mindset like Harden (who was initially happy to be in Brooklyn) or if the Utah situation was simply one in which he didn't enjoy.

But yes, if things REALLY don't work out, especially within a year, we could probably trade Mitchell to NY next offseason for Barrett and three first rounders.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,680

Post#45 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Sep 8, 2022 4:31 am

Congrats on the Mitchell acquisition. I'm looking forward to a renewed rivalry between my Hawks and your Cavs.

(Don't tell anyone, but I think you guys are (far) ahead of Atlanta and will be pulling for you to win the East this year!!)

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,680

Post#46 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Sep 8, 2022 5:32 am

Read on Twitter
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 888

Post#47 » by ijspeelman » Thu Sep 8, 2022 1:29 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Congrats on the Mitchell acquisition. I'm looking forward to a renewed rivalry between my Hawks and your Cavs.

(Don't tell anyone, but I think you guys are (far) ahead of Atlanta and will be pulling for you to win the East this year!!)

Biased, but would agree. Though, I do like the idea of a Trae Young and Dejounte Murray backcourt. I also probably rate John Collins higher than any non-Hawks fan I know.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#48 » by JonFromVA » Fri Sep 9, 2022 10:23 pm

I never imagined we'd trade away Sexton and everything else we did for another 6'1" SG who doesn't like to play defense. I mean we didn't double down on the tiny back-court, we sexdecuple'd down?

Given I always insisted there was a way Sexland could work, I guess I'm all in on this version of it.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#49 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Sep 9, 2022 11:48 pm

JonFromVA wrote:I never imagined we'd trade away Sexton and everything else we did for another 6'1" SG who doesn't like to play defense. I mean we didn't double down on the tiny back-court, we sexdecuple'd down?

Given I always insisted there was a way Sexland could work, I guess I'm all in on this version of it.
For 6 first rounders the Cavs are all in on it too, lol
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#50 » by KuruptedCav » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:02 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:I never imagined we'd trade away Sexton and everything else we did for another 6'1" SG who doesn't like to play defense. I mean we didn't double down on the tiny back-court, we sexdecuple'd down?

Don’t worry, Shannon Brown, JJ Hickson and Christian Eyenga weren’t going to move the needle anyways…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#51 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:37 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

Don’t worry, Shannon Brown, JJ Hickson and Christian Eyenga weren’t going to move the needle anyways…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not about the players, it's about the flexibility those assets could be used to acquire other players ;)
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#52 » by JonFromVA » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:15 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:For 6 first rounders the Cavs are all in on it too, lol

IMO, it's about the players too albeit the Cavs would need to do a better job evaluating talent in that part of the draft, developing, and fitting them in to the rotation.

Go big or go home, I guess.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#53 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:41 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:Don’t worry, Shannon Brown, JJ Hickson and Christian Eyenga weren’t going to move the needle anyways…

IMO, it's about the players too albeit the Cavs would need to do a better job evaluating talent in that part of the draft, developing, and fitting them in to the rotation.

Go big or go home, I guess.
For a proven guy who fits with the 3 rising stars already on the team, yeah, i agree. Not some unproven guy who is redundant with the star PG.

The hope is they're all young, so they can grow together, the 2nd piece of that is hoping the core 4 plus a SF can all be retained long term, that remains to be seen.

Cavs a 3 year (maybe 4 year) window for sure to at least be a playoff team, after that, mortgaging those unprotected 2027 and 2029 first rounders, may not be a gamble that was worth it.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,665

Post#54 » by Note30 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:45 pm

Hello all here,

I'm just looking at your depth and holy crap. You guys are staaaacked. I watched y'all for a little bit last year because of Rubio, but now I'm pulling for you all so Ricky can finally get a ring.

So deep I don't think I've seen a roster this balanced with this much potential in forever. Good job. Good luck.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#55 » by JonFromVA » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:20 pm

Note30 wrote:Hello all here,

I'm just looking at your depth and holy crap. You guys are staaaacked. I watched y'all for a little bit last year because of Rubio, but now I'm pulling for you all so Ricky can finally get a ring.

So deep I don't think I've seen a roster this balanced with this much potential in forever. Good job. Good luck.

We're counting on Ricky making a successful recovery, but it doesn't feel like we're particularly deep unless some of our bench guys break out.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#56 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:42 pm

Minus the glaring hole at SF lol
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,665

Post#57 » by Note30 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:01 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:

Don't you guys have Osman, Stevens, Wade, and Okoro their, I feel like I saw all of those guys play at the SF last year. I actually felt like Osman played really well last year no?
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#58 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:03 pm

Note30 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

Don't you guys have Osman, Stevens, Wade, and Okoro their, I feel like I saw all of those guys play at the SF last year. I actually felt like Osman played really well last year no?
All of those guys are fringe NBA players. Okoro and Stevens can't shoot but give full effort on defense, though don't leave Okoro in the corner, he's been working on that shot but he's also undersized for SF. Cedi is hot and cold and also plays erratic still, like a rookie even though he's in his 6th season. Wade is a PF being forced to play SF, he's a plus defender who can stroke it from deep, he should probably start and then the Cavs can get a larger sample size.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,889

Post#59 » by mcfly1204 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:05 pm

This notion that Mitchell was traded to Cleveland as punishment... so ridiculous.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#60 » by JonFromVA » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:21 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:This notion that Mitchell was traded to Cleveland as punishment... so ridiculous.

The rationalizations for not getting Mitchell have been flying left and right out of NY, but it's par for the course. Damage control is part of the job of running a FO. We have a Comic Sans manifesto as Exhibit A from our FO (well owner).

There's a fair case to be made that both Mitchell and the Knicks dodged a bullet, but maybe that bullet is just delayed in the case of the Knicks as presumably they will continue to dangle their mediocre collection of players and picks in front of other GM's to try to trade for a star, and then it's all going to come down to whether they can pull off other deals or attract more stars and create something around them.

But you know who may have also dodged a bullet?

The Cavs.

ESPN+ made a list of the teams with the best future pick situation and there were a lot of teams with more first round picks than us, but out of that group only the Knicks were seriously considering Mitchell. After the trade they have Utah #1, then OKC, SAS, NOP, HOU, and then the Knicks with the 6th best assets. So, the Knicks are going to need cross their fingers and hope those teams don't get in on the bidding, or pull off some amazing collusion.

And even if the Knicks manage to trade for a star and leverage that in to another star ... what are they up to 2?

Unless that's 2 of the top 5 players in the league or some of their current players break-out, that's probably not enough to contend in an EC that's getting tougher and tougher.

Not to mention, while Tom Thibodeau is still thought of fondly by some of his former Bulls players, he's not exactly a draw for most of the stars around the league who would prefer to be catered to .vs. run in to the ground.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers