jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,682

2022-23 Regular Season 

Post#1 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 31, 2022 10:31 pm

Have at it.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 888

Re: 2022 off season 

Post#2 » by ijspeelman » Wed Jun 1, 2022 8:55 pm

New Cavs logo!

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 3, 2022 2:50 am

If the Warriors get cheap with OPJ this summer, I'm offering him the entire MLE.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,759

Post#4 » by toooskies » Fri Jun 3, 2022 2:00 pm

jbk1234 wrote:If the Warriors get cheap with OPJ this summer, I'm offering him the entire MLE.

They don't have his Bird rights, so they can only offer him the tax MLE. I wouldn't mind grabbing him at all. But that means we have to trade for or draft a backup PG, or play Sexton as our backup there.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 3, 2022 2:13 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:If the Warriors get cheap with OPJ this summer, I'm offering him the entire MLE.

They don't have his Bird rights, so they can only offer him the tax MLE. I wouldn't mind grabbing him at all. But that means we have to trade for or draft a backup PG, or play Sexton as our backup there.

If we retain Sexton, all we need out of a backup PG, preferably one with size, is the ability to run the offense and defend. Daniels would be ideal but everything I'm reading is that he'll be off the board by No. 14. Exum could maybe work with the BAE. Wright as a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency option. Maybe Rubio signs for that much one a one-year deal if the understanding is you're paying him to rehab for half the season and would commit some of your cap space the following season to him (seems like wishful thinking tbh).

In terms of trade, a Ty Jones S&T involving Cedi and 39 would be ideal but it's being reported he wants to start. He's a flight risk to Detroit IMO. There was a time when the Celtics appeared to have some buyer's remorse over D. White, but that time has passed in a big way. Not sure I'd even want Cam Payne. The options get real limited real quick.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,480

Post#6 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jun 3, 2022 6:55 pm

I've always liked Otto, but sure would be nice to add some players who can stay healthy.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 3, 2022 7:00 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

I've always liked Otto, but sure would be nice to add some players who can stay healthy.

I'd play him off the bench and gamble the full MLE that he's healthy for the post season.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by toooskies » Fri Jun 3, 2022 7:51 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:

If we retain Sexton, all we need out of a backup PG, preferably one with size, is the ability to run the offense and defend. Daniels would be ideal but everything I'm reading is that he'll be off the board by No. 14. Exum could maybe work with the BAE. Wright as a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency option. Maybe Rubio signs for that much one a one-year deal if the understanding is you're paying him to rehab for half the season and would commit some of your cap space the following season to him (seems like wishful thinking tbh).

In terms of trade, a Ty Jones S&T involving Cedi and 39 would be ideal but it's being reported he wants to start. He's a flight risk to Detroit IMO. There was a time when the Celtics appeared to have some buyer's remorse over D. White, but that time has passed in a big way. Not sure I'd even want Cam Payne. The options get real limited real quick.

The problem with only doing this is we're going to run out of roster spots. We have 9 guys on guaranteed contracts; Wade and Stevens are presumably worth picking up options, so 11; Sexton is 12; pick #14 is 13. MLE is 14, so roster spot 15 either goes to #39 or BAE. #56 is on a two-way, with presumably RJ Nembhard taking the other one.

So we need to trade/sell #39 and possibly #56 (who could go on a two-way) to really make use of the BAE. Or choose that player over some good players we already have.

Other issue is that Sexton's contract will have to come in on the low end to even be able to use the BAE, I think. It's more realistic to use that if Sexton walks and we get BYC or no salary back in return, or some other trade where we cut salary.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 3, 2022 8:07 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:They don't have his Bird rights, so they can only offer him the tax MLE. I wouldn't mind grabbing him at all. But that means we have to trade for or draft a backup PG, or play Sexton as our backup there.

The problem with only doing this is we're going to run out of roster spots. We have 9 guys on guaranteed contracts; Wade and Stevens are presumably worth picking up options, so 11; Sexton is 12; pick #14 is 13. MLE is 14, so roster spot 15 either goes to #39 or BAE. #56 is on a two-way, with presumably RJ Nembhard taking the other one.

So we need to trade/sell #39 and possibly #56 (who could go on a two-way) to really make use of the BAE. Or choose that player over some good players we already have.

Other issue is that Sexton's contract will have to come in on the low end to even be able to use the BAE, I think. It's more realistic to use that if Sexton walks and we get BYC or no salary back in return, or some other trade where we cut salary.

The Spurs were reportedly interested in trading for Cedi last season. If they'd take 39 and Cedi for a TPE, that would help. What you don't know about those types of rumors is whether they were interested in dumping McDermott on us and we spun it that way. E.g., there were multiple teams interested in acquiring LeVert or E. Gordon for a first. Right, but what were they sending back.

Anyway, if there's a real solution at backup PG, all of our seconds, Windler, Stevens, and Wade should be available to make it happen (with Wade and Stevens being in the only if necessary category).
cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by toooskies » Fri Jun 3, 2022 9:12 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

The Spurs were reportedly interested in trading for Cedi last season. If they'd take 39 and Cedi for a TPE, that would help. What you don't know about those types of rumors is whether they were interested in dumping McDermott on us and we spun it that way. E.g., there were multiple teams interested in acquiring LeVert or E. Gordon for a first. Right, but what were they sending back.

Anyway, if there's a real solution at backup PG, all of our seconds, Windler, Stevens, and Wade should be available to make it happen (with Wade and Stevens being in the only if necessary category).

Don't get me wrong, we could clear a roster spot if we needed to-- someone would take Windler and $3m for nothing, I'd expect. But mediocre 4/3 isn't a position of need for us. We have plenty of mediocre 4s and 3s, even if Porter is an upgrade there (if healthy). It's a luxury move when we have other roster needs.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 3, 2022 9:18 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:The problem with only doing this is we're going to run out of roster spots. We have 9 guys on guaranteed contracts; Wade and Stevens are presumably worth picking up options, so 11; Sexton is 12; pick #14 is 13. MLE is 14, so roster spot 15 either goes to #39 or BAE. #56 is on a two-way, with presumably RJ Nembhard taking the other one.

Don't get me wrong, we could clear a roster spot if we needed to-- someone would take Windler and $3m for nothing, I'd expect. But mediocre 4/3 isn't a position of need for us. We have plenty of mediocre 4s and 3s, even if Porter is an upgrade there (if healthy). It's a luxury move when we have other roster needs.

Spacing and backup PG are the two biggest needs IMO. If Sexton returns, backup PG becomes less of a need. Some of Sexton's best advanced numbers were with Delly as a PG of all people. Also, I wouldn't want any of Wade, Stevens or Cedi seeing big minutes in a playoff series.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by toooskies » Fri Jun 3, 2022 10:41 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Spacing and backup PG are the two biggest needs IMO. If Sexton returns, backup PG becomes less of a need. Some of Sexton's best advanced numbers were with Delly as a PG of all people. Also, I wouldn't want any of Wade, Stevens or Cedi seeing big minutes in a playoff series.

If our roster is the same as it now (retaining Sexton) and healthy, JBB plays Garland, Sexton, Okoro, LeVert, Markkanen, Mobley, Love, Allen. Porter is just the worst kind of injury insurance, the often-injured kind.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 888

Post#13 » by ijspeelman » Sat Jun 4, 2022 2:56 am

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:

Ty's brother Tre could be worth taking a look at. Not nearly the same shooter as his brother (1.42 3PA/75 on 23.2% for his career though his 80 FT% on 110 total attempts indicates he could improve), but has similar feel for the game (I believe he is 2nd behind his brother in AST:TO ratio) and passing ability (27% AST%, 7.28 AST/75, 1.43 TO/75). I have no inkling for his defense (though I have watched a lot of Spurs b-ball recently for a project I am working on and would say I didn't notice any particular strengths or weaknesses in his defense). B-ball ref's BPM (-0.5) rates him as a standard starter-level point guard (above -1.0 indicates a starter).
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#14 » by KuruptedCav » Sat Jun 4, 2022 3:22 am

How long? That's still one hell of an injury history. I wanted him last year, nothing has changed, and full MLE for a year is fine, maybe a partial guarantee for yr. 2.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 3:06 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=RHZ9YlpR49qtkkHrXCkRsw
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#16 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jun 6, 2022 4:04 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ouch... I wonder if this means one of the "beat writers" was caught regurgitating PR material word for word.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 4:08 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ouch... I wonder if this means one of the "beat writers" was caught regurgitating PR material word for word.

[whispers there's only one beat writer]
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#18 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jun 6, 2022 5:24 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Fedor already had a reputation as a mouth piece for the organization, but I thought he'd been doing a decent job. Haven't checked to see what he's written lately, but hey, if he hasn't been drooling over deep diving on draft workouts I can understand that and yeah, when Altman wants to play games and send out smoke screens, I expect Fedor to do his part.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 5:35 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Fedor already had a reputation as a mouth piece for the organization, but I thought he'd been doing a decent job. Haven't checked to see what he's written lately, but hey, if he hasn't been drooling over deep diving on draft workouts I can understand that and yeah, when Altman wants to play games and send out smoke screens, I expect Fedor to do his part.

Fedor actually getting the LeVert trade correct shattered a lot of my priors.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#20 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jun 6, 2022 6:03 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Fedor actually getting the LeVert trade correct shattered a lot of my priors.

What did he get correct, though?

Part of the quid-pro-quo for being a team's mouthpiece means getting tossed a bone every now and then.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers