Rumor: J.J. Hardy to Cincinatti Trade in the Works

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Re: J.J. Hardy to Cincinatti Trade in the Works 

Post#21 » by Buck You » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:03 am

What's Harang's contract like? If he expires at the end of the season then this move makes no sense because Harang isn't taking you into the playoffs.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,012

Post#22 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:11 pm

No thanks. I don't like Harang anyway but he makes $12.5 million next year with a club option for 2011.

No way I want $25 million tied up in Harang and Suppan next year.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,742

Re: Rumor: J.J. Hardy to Cincinatti Trade in the Works 

Post#23 » by msiris » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:10 pm

I am sick of watching Hardy anyways. Very streaky at the plate. Give me some minor talent and I would be happy.
Ride the tank
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 1,019

Post#24 » by Ryan5UW » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:25 pm

I have NO problems trading Hardy, but I want Melvin to be smart about it. I think MD pointed out a great reason not to trade for Harang, that contract next year would seriously hinder us improving this team. Just because he might be our #2 now, doesn't mean he should be a #2 pitcher on a team that wants to contend. Trading Hardy for Harang and a prospect stinks of Melvin trying to make it look like they're still trying to win this year. If that's the best they can get, trade him this winter.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,152

Post#25 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:26 pm

Bailey has sucked in the Majors but I'd still rather have him than Harang or Bronson. He could be a #4 or $5 pitcher for the Brewers and I'm not sure we could expect more for Hardy at this point.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#26 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:43 pm

The next year or so will be key for Melvin and the team. Our young guys are going to start approaching free agency. Hardy will be a FA after next season. It appears as if the decision has been made not to sign him long term (or perhaps he has turned down offers). Now the question is when is the best time to trade him to get the most in return. Fielder and Hart will be FA's the following year and similar decisions will have to be made.

What Melvin can get for those guys (or how much he spends to keep them) will be the key to how we do the next few years.
BuckPack
Starter
And1: 802

Post#27 » by BuckPack » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:58 pm

DrugBust wrote:Bailey has sucked in the Majors but I'd still rather have him than Harang or Bronson. He could be a #4 or $5 pitcher for the Brewers and I'm not sure we could expect more for Hardy at this point.

but then you see what someone like Freddy Sanchez gets....or George Sherrill.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,788

Post#28 » by Ayt » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:19 pm

For Adam Dunn?
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 1,019

Post#29 » by Ryan5UW » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:22 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:The next year or so will be key for Melvin and the team. Our young guys are going to start approaching free agency. Hardy will be a FA after next season. It appears as if the decision has been made not to sign him long term (or perhaps he has turned down offers). Now the question is when is the best time to trade him to get the most in return. Fielder and Hart will be FA's the following year and similar decisions will have to be made.

What Melvin can get for those guys (or how much he spends to keep them) will be the key to how we do the next few years.

Very good point. Up until now, Melvin has built this team mostly through the draft. And I'd say, with a few exceptions (read: pitching), he's done a pretty good job of that. We've gone from a team that was losing 100 games, to a team that is expected to compete for a playoff birth. Can't really complain about that...

Now, he's having to deal with that core of the team in a much different way. Instead of just waiting for them to come up and contribute, they're becoming FAs, and his focus takes on a much different role. Does he try to keep that group of players together, or move them to rebuild again with prospects? Hopefully he's able to do one or the other, because it's not like this has just sneaked up on him, we all knew eventually he'd have to deal with this, and if he doesn't have some sort of plan, we could be proper f*cked...
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
BuckPack
Starter
And1: 802

Post#30 » by BuckPack » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:53 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:The next year or so will be key for Melvin and the team. Our young guys are going to start approaching free agency. Hardy will be a FA after next season. It appears as if the decision has been made not to sign him long term (or perhaps he has turned down offers). Now the question is when is the best time to trade him to get the most in return. Fielder and Hart will be FA's the following year and similar decisions will have to be made.

Agreed....and I think we will be able to get some nice pitching for both of them. I think Hart is a great fit in Tampa, particularly w/ them likely trading Crawford in the offseason. He runs well, has power, and is under contract for two more years before hitting FA. I'd think the Brewers would be able to net Kazmir or maybe even Shields--I'd prefer the latter. Hardy would be a great fit in Baltimore and, coupled with a 12-20 prospect, could net one of their good young arms. Move Gamel to right and Escobar to short and you've pretty much mitigated the loss of JJ and Corey's bats w/ significant upgrades in your rotation.

I think you'll see a lot more trades in August/September this year b/c more players will go unclaimed through waivers as team's won't take the risk of claiming a big contract. So, if I were DM, assuming Soup comes back healthy and pitches well (as he did last year after his brief DL stint), I'd put Soup on waivers. Perhaps a team in need of a 5th starter in the pennant race (LAD or SF come to mind) may take on the last year of his contract. That could leave the Brewers with some significant cap room to fill the rest of their holes.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#31 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:56 pm

livestrong4ever wrote:
WEFFPIM wrote:The Reds are in need of a SS, and they are shopping Harang and Arroyo.

Wouldn't surprise me, honestly.

I didn't know JJ's value was that high.
He is a former All Star Shorstop...of course his value is high. He is choking playing without a contract, or for a contract like Hart is.

Some players can't handle that kind of pressure. Hart is another one who struggles when the heat comes on. Remember last September?

I am just awaiting the day when my boy Rickie Weeks the true Franchise player on this team returns.
He was even rumored stupendously in a deal for Washburn.

But the only place the Brewers are allowed to move Weeks if they move him at all, is to my other team in the big leagues the Rays!

For Kazmir or Garza or Price is the only allowance I will make...LOL.

Sike!
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#32 » by Profound23 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:20 pm

Hardy gets traded to Cincy then it better be for Arroyo. Harang and Bailey do well vs the Brewers but normally suck elsewhere.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,418

Post#33 » by trwi7 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:58 pm

I really doubt we could land Shields for Hart.

Depending on what else we'd get in terms of the prospect(s), I could probably get on board with this.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#34 » by trwi7 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:59 pm

Profound23 wrote:Hardy gets traded to Cincy then it better be for Arroyo. Harang and Bailey do well vs the Brewers but normally suck elsewhere.

Arroyo sucks.

Also, I don't think MBBOT knows the definition of stupendously. :D
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

livestrong4ever
General Manager
And1: 140

Post#35 » by livestrong4ever » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:00 pm

Mike Burns called up. I don't think that is a good sign of any trade happening
MajorDad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#36 » by MajorDad » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:02 pm

i wouldn't mind the brewers trading hardy t o Cincy.

one positive that will come out of it- all those posters who always bring up the saying teams don't make inter division trades will have to shut up because they happen all the time. the brewers almost acquired Dunn. the cubs and Cards and reds and pirates trade to other teams within their division all the time. Wit h the wild card , team are now looking more for a good return on their trade rather than worrying about if the trade is to an interleague rival.

something to think about- the Yankees also want harang and Arriyo. and the Yankees have some nice AAA pitching prospects. The brewers could send hardy to the reds, they send Arriyo to the Yanks, and the brewers end up with Hughes or some other yankees pitching prospect.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#37 » by trwi7 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:04 pm

I am not saying Booo-urns. I am just saying Boo. Ugh.

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#38 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:01 pm

Burns and Vargas, is it too late for Brewers season tickets?
livestrong4ever
General Manager
And1: 140

Post#39 » by livestrong4ever » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:03 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Burns and Vargas, is it too late for Brewers season tickets?

:lol:
JeffJeckal
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#40 » by JeffJeckal » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:59 pm

Cinci has done a lot of trading today.
You've ruined the act, Gob.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers